Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

5 hours ago, skinbuck said:

Perhaps the switch was hard to flip when he was still distracted by the nasty stab wound in his back, inflicted by an incompetent HC who all but deserted him. This is seemingly the only logical conclusion. Otherwise, behavioral traits such has hard-work or laziness don’t typically change overnight 

Id argue that “stab wound” was inflicted by Snyder and Allen when they kept Gruden for a lame duck season, then drafted Haskins in a coach’s lame duck season.

Why blame Gruden when he A) didn’t want him because to keep his job he has to win and B ) needed to win now with an obviously raw quarterback?

11 hours ago, skinbuck said:

Perhaps the switch was hard to flip when he was still distracted by the nasty stab wound in his back, inflicted by an incompetent HC who all but deserted him. This is seemingly the only logical conclusion. Otherwise, behavioral traits such has hard-work or laziness don’t typically change overnight 

Lol, who knows, that's not the impression I get from the beat guys who are covering it.  Jay has his faults but he doesn't come off like an angry spiteful dude.  And he's said publicly that he loves Haskins as a dude.  Jay in his public comments actually laid it on thick in a positive way about Haskins.   He was in a win now season and didn't want a QB who wouldn't be ready game 1 in that type of season.  His fears actually played out.  But I don't blame him for it.  They should have either fired Jay before the season or told him he's back no matter what happens during the season with Haskins. 

O'Connell flat out said the Giants game was a wake up call.  I think Haskins is a really competitive and prideful dude and it gave him a jolt in a good way.  Callahan has addressed his preparation has improved, too.  It seems to be a theme.  At first it bothered me to keep hearing that stuff but now I think I like it because if Haskins is seeing improved results that also coincide with improved preparation then its a good sign for the future.

The personality stuff that some cited here never bothered me.  He does come off a bit arrogant at times but I don't mind that in a QB.  And as I've said many times on this thread I've seen him interact close with fans multiple times including with my kids and he comes off as a super nice guy.

https://thefandc.radio.com/jay-gruden-redskins-regrets-dwayne-haskins-injuries

If rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins becomes the starter in Washington, one major factor will be a five-letter word that coach Jay Gruden used repeatedly when talking about the former Buckeye on Thursday.

“I think the one thing that you can’t gauge — and it’s still early — but it’s the poise factor,” Gruden told reporters.
“I think he’s got great poise for a young player. You watch him in college, he had great poise.
He played at Ohio State and he had some big-time games and the poise he displayed in the pocket carried over to the OTAs.
People were around him, I know he knew he wasn’t getting hit, but still, his ability to move his feet in the pocket, kept his eyes downfield, and make plays outside of the pocket was very exciting.
I think he’s got a great demeanor about himself. I don’t think he lets one play affect his next play, which is very very important for a quarterback in the National Football League.”

https://thefandc.radio.com/jay-gruden-redskins-regrets-dwayne-haskins-injuries

Gruden categorized Haskins as a great talent...

"Yeah, I think when you draft a guy like that that has one-year experience of college football you have to have some expectations that it's gonna take some time," Gruden told Grant & Danny. "You would love for him to come in here and pick everything up and jump right in the system and play cause he's a big talented guy, and you need a guy that's developed."

"Dwayne's a great developmental prospect, he's got a great skillset; he's big, strong, but it does take a while to learn the nuances of pro football from calling a play to the huddle, to getting your protection right, to get the run game checks to go through your progressions, to audible to max protection when you have to, to change your protections," Gruden added. "It takes some time. But Dwayne's on course to learn it and I think he'll be a force in pro football in due time."

https://fansided.com/2019/06/14/redskins-dwayne-haskins-starting-gruden-impressed/

Gruden said he has consistently made “wow” plays, and gushed about his new quarterback: “When he’s on, there’s nobody you’d rather have than Dwayne. Really. It’s pretty. He stands tall; he has a cannon, and he can quicken up his release. He’s got great touch. Strong, powerful arm; strong, powerful body.”

https://www.redskins.com/video/kevin-o-connell-on-haskins-his-preparation-matched-that-confidence

Kevin O'Connell On Haskins: "His Preparation Matched That Confidence"

Offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell speaks to the media on Friday at Inova Sports & Performance Center at Redskins Park.

"Kevin O’Connell says he’s seen a change in Dwayne Haskins the last two weeks since he’s been firmly named the #2. Giants game was also a huge wake up call for him. DH has started to understand the urgency. Just part of the process. He’s young and is definitely progressing."

It could mean that all he needed was to see real action to realize how much he had to prepare.  If he started in week 1 and threw 4 interceptions, I would bet that the outcome would be the same. He would realize that he had to prepare harder.  Hard to know what to do until you actually play the game.  Can't blame him.  

58 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

It could mean that all he needed was to see real action to realize how much he had to prepare.  If he started in week 1 and threw 4 interceptions, I would bet that the outcome would be the same. He would realize that he had to prepare harder.  Hard to know what to do until you actually play the game.  Can't blame him.  

Yeah sounds like it was something like that.  There were a lot of echoes of concerns about it in that building according to some early on and heck even Callahan and O'Connell alluded to it in a polite way in different press conferences.  But the ship seems to be sailing in the right direction now.   But it makes sense that you learn how to prepare and get better at it over time.

I had some concerns about that and his accuracy while liking other aspects of his play.  But the fact that the work stuff seems laid to rest and his accuracy has really heated up has gotten me jazzed.  I've been saying for awhile I am hardcore neutral on Haskins.  But I'll say now I am optimistic. 

Schefter contributed report, some Haskins stuff here

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28395153/sources-redskins-set-hire-ron-rivera-fire-bruce-allen

The franchise has been beset by conflicts -- one former member of the Redskins football department said the team would win again when the "non-football people stop making football decisions." Players have often complained about the overall culture at Redskins Park outside of the locker room. Among other things, they point to a facility that, even though it's been updated in recent years, lags behind most in the NFL.

This season, one of the main storylines involved the holdout by seven-time Pro Bowl tackle Trent Williams. Allen didn't trade him by the Oct. 29 deadline, causing Williams to report -- but also to rip the franchise over a loss of trust stemming from medical issues. Williams later said he would not have said anything had the Redskins traded him; he had strong support from teammates.

It adds up to why the Redskins needed change. Sources said the Redskins knew they needed a strong leader, someone with previous head coaching experience -- and success.

Rivera had a reputation in Carolina for being firm with players, but also for getting to know them beyond the field.

Rivera also was Chicago's defensive coordinator in 2006 when the Bears reached the Super Bowl. He later served in the same role from 2008-10 with the San Diego Chargers. Carolina hired him as its head coach in 2011. With the Panthers, Rivera earned a reputation in his first two seasons for being conservative. But in 2013, he changed tactics and became known as "Riverboat Ron" for what others called gambling but he referred to as "calculated risks."

In Washington, he'll inherit a team with plenty of young players, including quarterback Dwayne Haskins. By season's end, partly because of injuries, they used 12 players ages 25 or younger as consistent starters. Washington also owns the No. 2 pick in the draft.

There was controversy over the drafting of Haskins. The Redskins' football side did not want to take him at 15, preferring someone more capable of helping them win now. They wanted to draft a quarterback beyond that point to develop. But Allen and Snyder wanted Haskins.

Haskins struggled in two relief appearances, but steadily improved during his seven starts. Coaches said he started doing more work outside the facility and that made a difference. During the period he started, Haskins ranked 32nd in total QBR and 20th in passer rating.

But in his last two starts, Haskins completed a combined 31-of-43 passes for 394 yards and four touchdowns. He missed the last two quarters of that second game because of a high ankle sprain. But his play, coupled with that of rookie receiver Terry McLaurin -- who led the team with 919 yards receiving and seven touchdowns -- provides a level of optimism for the franchise. And it could give Rivera a foundation to rebuild the Redskins.

7 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Czaban's criticism of that is really bizarre.  I could get on board if the take was "pump the brakes on the guy, he's only played 2.5 good games", but to call out his use of social media now that the season is over makes no sense.  

His use of twitter to get one of the best players the Redskins ever drafted to come back and fill one of our biggest holes. I get the people poo pooing the Anontio Brown one but...Trent Williams? I mean come on guy lol

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

His use of twitter to get one of the best players the Redskins ever drafted to come back and fill one of our biggest holes. I get the people poo pooing the Anontio Brown one but...Trent Williams? I mean come on guy lol

He has his phone number. The use of twitter is to get himself attention. Trent is in all likelihood coming back now that Bruce is gone. This is Haskins trying to get credit for it. Trent sacrificed a ton to help get Bruce fired. He needs to focus on himself. Nothing good is going to come from his social media use. 

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I can’t wait for the deification of Trent Williams to come to an end... 

I'm not so sure it's a deification of Trent. I think it's more along the lines of, he's still one of the best LTs and by having him playing it's one less hole we have to worry about filling in a roster filled with holes in the immediate future.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

He has his phone number. The use of twitter is to get himself attention. Trent is in all likelihood coming back now that Bruce is gone. This is Haskins trying to get credit for it. Trent sacrificed a ton to help get Bruce fired. He needs to focus on himself. Nothing good is going to come from his social media use. 

Oh please. You are over reacting just like you where to his first few plays. Its twitter, its a joke and nothing negative will come of it other than some unimportant people ****ing and moaning over it. 

This is haskins trying to take credit for it. LOL thats so stupid hahaha

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Oh please. You are over reacting just like you where to his first few plays. Its twitter, its a joke and nothing negative will come of it other than some unimportant people ****ing and moaning over it. 

This is haskins trying to take credit for it. LOL thats so stupid hahaha

He thinks he runs the team which is actually a pretty impressive level of arrogance that I can appreciate. But it might be off putting to Trent. 

Just now, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I guess...

People just feel he's a really good football player.

I’m talking about the “gave up 9M to get Bruce Allen fired” rhetoric...no he didn’t lol. He only planned to give up half that, and it was to force his way off the team, not to get Bruce fired. If he had been traded Trent wouldn’t have given two ****s if Allen remained with the Redskins just like he didn’t give two ****s if the med staff kept treating his teammates.

Another writer tweeted Trent’s holdout was him “speaking for those who didn’t have a voice”...no it wasn’t lol. First, he wasn’t speaking at all when that tweet was posted so nobody knew anything about exactly what his holdout was about. Second, by not wanting the medical fired or even reviewed, Trent was saying he was more than ok with those “who didn’t have a voice” remaining in their current situation.

Trent said in an interview that he came back to the team “for my teammates”...no he didn’t lol. He came back to assure the 2019 season would count towards his contract. If the season would have counted whether he showed up or not, he never would have bothered doing so. 

Having his his actions portrayed in such altruistic ways is nauseating.

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Having his his actions portrayed in such altruistic ways is nauseating.

I mean his actions may have been altruistic...

But I still gotta agree with you here. Williams was upset about things that happened to Williams. And he dealt with it the way he and his camp felt was best. The goal was to play football somewhere away from Bruce Allen. It wasn't to save the Redskins. He didn't sacrifice for the Redskins. Sure, his stance may have helped the Redskins, but that absolutely wasn't his intent. Agreed.

18 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He thinks he runs the team which is actually a pretty impressive level of arrogance that I can appreciate. But it might be off putting to Trent. 

I trust you and your opinion because you are a member of the California Bar. 

Archived