Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Nothing about Haskins says pure pocket guy. Pocket guys are meticulous with mechanics. To a level of obsessive compulsiveness. 

Haskins is a modern day mobile quarterback. He was able to stay in the pocket at Ohio State because of his receivers ability to turn anything into a big play and his tremendous offensive line.

He’s not great on the move, either, but I actually do like his evasiveness.

On 11/28/2019 at 5:53 AM, Csup said:

I’ve followed the Redskins since the George Allen era. It is pretty amazing to think that they have not had one QB they drafted develop into a franchise QB that lead them for 10 years or so.  Even Theisman came from the CFL.

Assuming you have forgotten about Mark Rypien.  He was drafted, developed (3-4 years, if I remember correctly) and was instrumental in delivering a Lombardi Trophy.  The only difference being the longevity wasn't really there, but the Lombardi trumps that in spades!

Edit:  Rypien drafted in '86 and retired in '98.

I think Cousins wanted 20m & we only offered 15, maybe they would have agreed at 18m but that would have been top 6/7 qb money for a player who only had one year as starter.

Kirk had been 4 years in the league but only 1 as starter, was it crazy for FO not want to overpay at the time? As mentioned above i can see why you'd like another 16 games to judge, maybe you end up overpaying a year down the road but you have a better idea what you have, ultimately I think the mess with the GM ruined any of this planning as BA then steps in acts like the classy man that he is.

49 minutes ago, Bunny Kelly said:

I think Cousins wanted 20m & we only offered 15, maybe they would have agreed at 18m but that would have been top 6/7 qb money for a player who only had one year as starter.

Kirk had been 4 years in the league but only 1 as starter, was it crazy for FO not want to overpay at the time? As mentioned above i can see why you'd like another 16 games to judge, maybe you end up overpaying a year down the road but you have a better idea what you have, ultimately I think the mess with the GM ruined any of this planning as BA then steps in acts like the classy man that he is.

No, his team was definitely between 17-19 because it was below the franchise tag value which was 20 for the first year.

50 minutes ago, Bunny Kelly said:

It was potentially worse than that. He only had one year as a starter, but he was really bad the first half of the year until the light bulb went off. So, the question was whether those eight games were a mirage or were real. That's why I didn't mind the first franchise tag. We've seen a lot of quarterbacks who were shooting stars who crashed back  to Earth. Where the 'skins failed and failed badly (in my opinion) was the next year. The 'skins and Cousins rolled the dice. Cousins had a fantastic year. Bruce lost. He should have paid up and started with not only a fair bid, but a generous one. In other words, he should have manned up. Instead, he lowballed Cousins again and tried to treat it as a normal hardball negotiation.

The relationship never recovered.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Nothing about Haskins says pure pocket guy. Pocket guys are meticulous with mechanics. To a level of obsessive compulsiveness. 

Haskins is a modern day mobile quarterback. He was able to stay in the pocket at Ohio State because of his receivers ability to turn anything into a big play and his tremendous offensive line.

He’s not great on the move, either, but I actually do like his evasiveness.

Yeah, all the pre-draft talk make me think he was a Dan Marino or Peyton Manning. You know, a statue. He many not be a lightning bug with a ton of speed or a lot of wiggle, but he can move and make plays with his legs.

so this is the Dwayne Haskins thread.  There is already a cousins thread in here and in the tailgate.  Please take that discussion there.  

As for Haskins - of course he is behind.  He is a very raw talent.  He had only a few starts in college and us just getting started in the pros.   He has to fix his footwork or he will not get much better.   But if he does he has enough raw talent to develop into into a pretty decent QB. Of course this is no revelation. Virtually everyone knew this going in.  

As to Standig's point below.  I got some concerns about Haskins but his selfie not among them.  I found this interesting because Standig is sort of like Keim pretty conservative and doesn't like to ruffle feathers and might be Bruce's favorite local reporter.  Bruce gave him a rare exclusive once.  Also Standig was the only reporter who somewhat defended Bruce on the Trent issue.    My point of all the local guys, he's the one I always think might be factoring Bruce's feelings about things in the soup because I gather they talk from time to time but who knows?

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 12.13.34 PM.png

freaking out over the selfie really makes no sense to me.  The stadium clock said 00. Fans asked for a selfie and he had his first pro victory.  And when asked after the game he said he thought the game was over and he will get that fixed going forward.  

again, if he was dropping dimes or otherwise having more success everyone would be laughing it off. I just do not see it as an issue unless you are already looking for a reason to trash him.  

14 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

freaking out over the selfie really makes no sense to me.  The stadium clock said 00. Fans asked for a selfie and he had his first pro victory.  And when asked after the game he said he thought the game was over and he will get that fixed going forward.  

again, if he was dropping dimes or otherwise having more success everyone would be laughing it off. I just do not see it as an issue unless you are already looking for a reason to trash him.  

Agree specific to the selfie.  But I think what Standig was politely hinting at is the move isn't some wild out of character issue with him at Redskins Park.  Pretty much everyone who covers the team have said they've heard from people in the building that's he's immature and not the most professional whatever that means.  Russell doubled down on it this morning saying he's heard the same.  They've all more or less have said the same point in different ways. 

Hopefully Haskins does well in some games to end the season.  If he does, any angst about him at Redskins Park I'd presume will be put to rest.  If he doesn't though I get the impression that some soap opera on this front might bleed into the off season perhaps as to the coaching search -- can they talk Urban Meyer into taking the job -- even though according to Breer he has zero interest in it?

On another note, Standig in that same article implied that Trent could come back but only if Bruce is gone.  Interesting if so. 

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree specific to the selfie.  But I think what Standig was politely hinting at is the move isn't some wild out of character issue with him at Redskins Park.  Pretty much everyone who covers the team have said they've heard from people in the building that's he's immature and not the most professional whatever that means.  Russell doubled down on it this morning saying he's heard the same.  They've all more or less have said the same point in different ways. 

Hopefully Haskins does well in some games to end the season.  If he does, any angst about him at Redskins Park I'd presume will be put to rest.  If he doesn't though I get the impression that some soap opera on this front might bleed into the off season perhaps as to the coaching search -- can they talk Urban Meyer into taking the job -- even though according to Breer he has zero interest in it?

On another note, Standig in that same article implied that Trent could come back but only if Bruce is gone.  Interesting if so. 

I understand what they are saying but I find it to be mostly bull**** in the sense that he is not here to be a beacon of maturity.  He is here to play football.  He deserves the criticism of his play. But the whole maturity thing to me is bull****.  I going to write about it because they like to sit in judgment of others.  But unless he breaks a law or team rule or his immaturity costs him playing time or needless penalties I don’t really care.  

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

It is all the little things that have added up.  The selfie is nothing more then a culmination of not the best moves, from a guy who has proven nothing.  You come into the league saying it messed up for not taking you earlier, and then you have a kick ass start to your career, then he actually looks factual, and no one would care .   And then if you look disinterested, disengaged on the sidelines again no one cares because you are kicking ass.    You can even be a butt head in the press conferences but no one would care because you are kicking ass.

So you are actually right in your last statement.  But the bigger overarching issue or theme for Skin's fans, at least mine, is this almost desperation for the club to pick up a kick ass player somewhere, anywhere. 

But Dewayne is going to be with us for awhile, i think at least the next two seasons following this one for sure. Hopefully he gets QB mechanic coaching in the off season.  

Hopefully we kick ass in the draft.  We need O Line help desperately. But more then anything we need a game changer.  

Well it looks like even Trubusky can look like a stud against the Lions. The Lions are the best Haskins could hope for and he still struggled mightily.  Anyone thinking this has a happy ending  says at least we have enough water to drink when a flood comes.

51 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I understand what they are saying but I find it to be mostly bull**** in the sense that he is not here to be a beacon of maturity.  He is here to play football.  He deserves the criticism of his play. But the whole maturity thing to me is bull****.  I going to write about it because they like to sit in judgment of others.  But unless he breaks a law or team rule or his immaturity costs him playing time or needless penalties I don’t really care.  

Listening to what's being said I don't think they mean maturity in the pure sense like he's watching cartoons and pulling silly pranks in the locker room.  It seems to be how he conducts himself in meetings, practices, punctuality, work habits, etc.   But that's all I am going to say about it for while no matter what's said because it seems like a polarizing topic on this thread.  And I don't see how it's really even a real argument, it's one of those things where either we are willing to believe it or not.  I am willing to believe it and not because I want to believe it (nothing would please me more than Haskins ends up the goods, if he doesn't I think this team will have another painful 3-5 years in all likelihood) just because enough people are saying it and somewhat loudly, and I doubt they are saying it for no reason. 

I do agree with your overall point though which is go show the world you are a kick butt QB and then no one has to worry about the other stuff.  Will see.   I hope so.  I like this team's prospects a lot if he's the goods, hate it if he's not.  To me there is a lot riding on the dude.  

43 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

Well it looks like even Trubusky can look like a stud against the Lions. The Lions are the best Haskins could hope for and he still struggled mightily.  Anyone thinking this has a happy ending  says at least we have enough water to drink when a flood comes.

I wonder which of these seemingly unlikely scenarios has a better chance of happening :

* Haskins becomes our long-term answer at QB, or

* Alex Smith makes a miraculous recovery, and actually gives us 2 decent years

Or maybe, both of those, with the 1st happening after the 2nd, but of course, that's an even greater longshot.

I know most people are saying Smith's career is over, and even if it's not, they believe it's certainly over with the Skins, but I never rule anything out, until there is no doubt.

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to what's being said I don't think they mean maturity in the pure sense like he's watching cartoons and pulling silly pranks in the locker room.  It seems to be how he conducts himself in meetings, practices, punctuality, work habits, etc.   But that's all I am going to say about it for while no matter what's said because it seems like a polarizing topic on this thread.  And I don't see how it's really even a real argument, it's one of those things where either we are willing to believe it or not.  I am willing to believe it and not because I want to believe it (nothing would please me more than Haskins ends up the goods, if he doesn't I think this team will have another painful 3-5 years in all likelihood) just because enough people are saying it and somewhat loudly, and I doubt they are saying it for no reason. 

I do agree with your overall point though which is go show the world you are a kick butt QB and then no one has to worry about the other stuff.  Will see.   I hope so.  I like this team's prospects a lot if he's the goods, hate it if he's not.  To me there is a lot riding on the dude.  

To be clear I am not saying he doesn't have some maturity issues - so I was not discounting those reports. Thanks for posting. My point was I don't really care. I will say that at some point it becomes pilling on and could very well be blown out of proportion. Or in fairness it could be a huge problem and get him trouble or keep him from reaching his potential.  But either way, as as long there isn't something like drug use or domestic violence I could care less about the rest. 

8 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

To be clear I am not saying he doesn't have some maturity issues - so I was not discounting those reports. Thanks for posting. My point was I don't really care. I will say that at some point it becomes pilling on and could very well be blown out of proportion. Or in fairness But either way, as as long there isn't something like drug use or domestic violence I could care less about the rest. 

I get the point, I don't care about it on a personal basis either.  As I've mentioned here before, I've seen Haskins interact with my kids multiple times and he seemed like a super nice guy.  And I believe he is a cool dude.  But if the dude struggles as a QB and it accompanies a narrative that he isn't the most professional type as to his preparation -- that combination of those two things will make me doubt his future prospects at QB, that's all.   And if he plays well all of it will be moot.  

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

freaking out over the selfie really makes no sense to me.  The stadium clock said 00. Fans asked for a selfie and he had his first pro victory.

Kid was excited. I can’t wait to see how he reacts if he ever leads us on an actual TD drive that doesn’t involve a 45 yard screen or garbage time TD when we’re down 4 scores against the Jets.

8 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Kid was excited. I can’t wait to see how he reacts if he ever leads us on an actual TD drive that doesn’t involve a 45 yard screen or garbage time TD when we’re down 4 scores against the Jets.

Useless response. Let me know when you have something to actually contribute besides unnecessary snark. 

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Useless response. Let me know when you have something to actually contribute besides unnecessary snark. 

The Snark was unnecessary. The point still remains that he has yet to lead us on an actual touchdown drive. We can make excuses for that til our asses turn blue but it'is extremely concerning. The reality is, he's worse than we imagined.

Archived