Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Counter-point on the English thing: If it's about "The NFL done messed up", I for one don't think people are making fun of his English. They're making fun of him because he said that NFL made a mistake in not drafting him sooner. "Done messed up" just gets quoted a lot because it's the memorable part of the line, but after all that's happened, I don't blame people for mocking the idea that the NFL made a mistake. That all gets tied down to winning, and feeding the ongoing narrative that he's arrogant.

Dancing pregame and how he spends his money, I don't get why people would care so much about that. I wish I had millions of dollars to be able to spend on cars lol

Yea there is legit argument that the league didnt mess up and he was stupid for saying it. AND I understand not wanting a guy who clearly didnt want to be here. He was not happy to be drafted by us. 

But the kind of people im referring to literally decried his English. Thiesman did it, and it became a thing. He apologized for it and then people blamed Has for that, too. 

I just want folks to be fair in their criticisms. Hes legit trash on the field right now. Talk about that. But I know people wont do that, so im prepared to talk about their expert use of percentages and fractions.  

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This is a good point.  However, at some point wouldn't they have to get lucky and hit on one?  And then let that guy walk in free agency for a compensatory 3rd round pick?

Cannot argue. Bad management and guess what hasnt changed lololcrycrycrylolol 

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Cannot argue. Bad management and guess what hasnt changed lololcrycrycrylolol 

I guess my point, in a roundabout way, is that it's often overlooked that the Redskins actually did draft and develop a franchise QB...and then let him walk out the door for nothing.  So they can luck their way into it.

The irony to me about Haskins having too much bravado, etc is the real personality criticism you get from his college years is that he's too low key and not strong enough of a leader.  Meyer talked about how he came out of his shell so to speak and emerge as a leader towards the end of his last season.  Burrow he talked about on the other hand being a natural feisty leader type.  But Haskins personality wise is a different cat.

With Haskins though you see a different personality at times on the field versus off the field.  So some moxie and arrogance on the field from him in particular, I like.  In a way I felt the same about Cousins who seems so subdued off the field but I loved the You Like That, and occasional exuberance that he'd show from time to time.  I want my QB to have some personality and spark.  I don't care how goofy or over the top it is, I like a Qb with some personality versus lets say a Jason Campbell type.  I think in its own way it shows off some competitive drive. 

So yeah I never had an issue with RG3's moments of exuberance, Kirk or now Haskins.   And it wasn't hard to miss that many who were put off by these incidents were mostly the same people who didn't care for said QB.  I get that.  If you don't like a guy or want him gone, the instinct is the glass is half empty on just about everything.

And am far from a Haskins believer.  I think there is plenty shot that he doesn't work out.  But for me the more I consume his personality (including seeing it some first hand in camp), I want the moxie-athletic arrogance side of Haskins' personality to win out over the monotone, quiet, seemingly shy version of him.  I felt the same way about Kirk.  And even RG3 who could be over the top with it where sometimes it got cringe worthy -- I didn't mind that side of him as long as it matched his production so in 2012 I actually enjoyed it. 

29 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I guess my point, in a roundabout way, is that it's often overlooked that the Redskins actually did draft and develop a franchise QB...and then let him walk out the door for nothing.  So they can luck their way into it.

Im not really saying that cant. Im saying even if they do and they dont have the team to support him then we would be wasted talent. Like Cousins would be here. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I want the moxie-athletic arrogance side of Haskins' personality to win out over the monotone, quiet, seemingly shy version of him.  I felt the same way about Kirk.  And even RG3 who could be over the top with it where sometimes it got cringe worthy -- I didn't mind that side of him as long as it matched his production so in 2012 I actually enjoyed it. 

Exactly.  I agree but the point is, which many have already stated,  his production on the field simply does not match what come out of his mouth, or his behavior.  The latest exuberant proclamation of "I am a closer" made me laugh my ass off.  BUT I cannot imagine that there is a poster on here that does not want Dwayne to work out.  If they don't want him to be highly successful then they are certainly not a fan of this team.

And I believe he has two more years here, not including this one.  So buckle up folks.  Maybe he needs to find that middle of the road persona, especially if he was super laid back last year in the beginning of his college year at QB because now this extreme, which looks to me like an overcompensation or bravado for lack of results.  Meaning it is almost put on it is so over the top or there is a screw loose. 

I mean some of this, for me, goes back to who is who is guiding this guy because he is young.  I really think he has gotten ****ty advice or none in terms of how to succeed as a QB at this level. 

I don't mind players that are over the top if they can produce. In fact I find it entertaining.   Unfortunately there has been a series of comments made by Haskins, which we have gone over numerous times,  in this very thread,  ranging from his reported poor work ethic, to ill timed comments and actions, coupled with poor performances on the field, which for a 1st, #15 just does not sit right with me.     

It is going to be interesting I will say that.  

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

It is going to be interesting I will say that.  

I dont expect it to stop or slow down at all. He seems the type where he needs to say it to believe it. And he needs to believe it to do it. It would be super cool to see him achieve what he believes he can, so im with it until he cant. 

So yesterday I was listening to the Junkies and noting how neutral they were on the whole Selfiegate thing. I didn't listen to the other shows because I can't stand their personalities. But I gave the junkies a listen this morning and it seems like they've done a complete 180 and were just grilling him today on it. The whole segment was based on the Sally Jenkins article but they just used it to continually take shots at him for things like coming to the game late. I find that interesting because Brian Mitchell was talking about how some people love referencing how he "got to the game at 10:45", but leave out that he was in the parking lot at 10:15 and how the media isn't telling the full story on a lot of these Haskins things. But they were just going after Haskins this morning, to the extent where it was unlistenable. 

It kinda makes me think about the tweets I posted yesterday that maybe players know that there's animosity towards the team from that radio station. I know they get Moses and Thompson, but before that they got Cousins and DJ - two players who were in major conflicts with the team. This is a story I'm going to continue to follow because I've realized that "The Fan" seems to be encourage a lot of opinions like trolls on here. Its why I barely listen any more but I wonder how much the players talk about it. 

I’m wondering if this is how Haskins banged up his wrist. This was during the first drive of the game, and it certainly looks like the wrist did flex awkwardly ‍♂️ pic.twitter.com/nVc2nxgvK1

— Mark Tyler(Hogs Haven) (@Tiller56) November 24, 2019

I knew this would happen. Somebody would post a picture saying when Haskins probably injured his wrist. I agree with Fred Smoot that Haskins didn't "win" the press conference, and didn't come out with the media on his side afterwards, and the one word answer wasn't helpful - we wanted to know when he hurt it. But if his wrist was in fact hurt it does give some hope that his accuracy issues will get better next game. I was very hopeful that he was making the right reads and the fact that he's making them and just not getting the touch on the passes impressed me. If he made those touches we could be talking about his coming out game instead of just what ifs. 

Listening on the radio in this morning, there were a couple callers on 980 trying to make a quarter back analogy to Dwayne Haskins.  One guy even said Tebow, which Sheehan said was pretty far off.  I agree on that one.

We don't need to look far for a comparable. Jason Campbell also had a strong arm with some accuracy issues, somewhat mobile but not a runner, and uncertain on many of the finer points.  Ultimately had some limited success in the NFL with both the Redskins and Raiders.  Unfortunately, I think that may be Dwayne's trajectory.   Patrick Ramsey might not be a bad comparable either.

3 hours ago, Llevron said:

We got people on here upset when hes dancing pregame. Upset that he purchased a car with his own money. And people that make fun of his English and call him stupid because of 5 words he said before he was drafted. 

Thats pure hate. And its driving the conversation on him in some cases. We could be such a better fan base if we avoided that stuff and called it out when we see it. 

I don't believe that represents the majority of fans.  There are always going to be naysayers & people saying stupid things.  You can't really control that too much.  Personally I do get mad at Haskins during games including the Lions game (where he made some terrible throws).  However I view things differently the day after.  I was all for Haskins starting the remaining games & feel no differently at this time. He is going to make mistakes - I just hope that he progresses over the course of the next few seasons. I also hope that he matures, & I believe that he will.  Again I can't control other people - only myself.

So, I’ve seen consistent growth in Haskins to date. The accuracy issues were infuriating, but they were the right reads and they were reached quickly. If he keeps processing things quicker and quicker, I’m hopeful he’ll have time to be more mindful of his mechanics. It’s kind of nice to see this sort of incremental progress.

19 minutes ago, dicksogj said:

I don't believe that represents the majority of fans.  There are always going to be naysayers & people saying stupid things.  You can't really control that too much.

I don't either to be honest. I didn't mean to make is sound like I thought it did. 

19 minutes ago, dicksogj said:

Again I can't control other people - only myself.

Thats mature. I, however....

I don't see the Jason Campbell comparison, because it appears to me that he appears to not be afraid of throwing the ball.  It also appears to me that he can throw with anticipation. 

At least he made the correct reads most of the time. If he didn't make those reads, we wouldn't be seeing him miss all those throws. He would be taking sacks.  Now, the accuracy was a problem on Sunday. What was his deep ball completion %?  Probably close to zero.  So I would not expect his deep ball accuracy to be that bad forever.

27 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

So, I’ve seen consistent growth in Haskins to date. The accuracy issues were infuriating, but they were the right reads and they were reached quickly. If he keeps processing things quicker and quicker, I’m hopeful he’ll have time to be more mindful of his mechanics. It’s kind of nice to see this sort of incremental progress.

Agreed.  People are picking this guy apart...rightfully so...he’s an nfl qb.  In the grand scheme of things, his head seems to be ahead of his mechanics and that’s actually good in this case given his physical talent.  

In the breaking news section the hogshaven.com web site just posted Skin stats for the Lions game.  Here are the Haskins only stats::

Dwayne Haskins (Advanced Stats)- To say that Haskins had problems with accuracy in this game would be an understatement. Not only did he have a season-low completion rate, he also posted new season worsts in adjusted completion percentage (50%) and number of bad/poor throws (9).

The OSU product put up the fifth-lowest DYAR total (-116) and the third-lowest total QBR (15.5) among all qualified signal callers in Week 12.

Dwayne Haskins (Season)- Yes, Haskins got his first win and the majority of his action in 2019 is still yet to come, but at least so far, he has been horrible.

Of the 38 players with 100 or more pass attempts this season, Haskins ranks 37th or second-worst ahead of only Josh Rosen in the following metrics: completion percentage (54.6%), touchdown percentage (5.56%), passer rating (55.9), passing yards per game (130.8) and adjusted net yards per attempt (2.42). The Skins’ first-round pick ranks dead last in interception percentage (5.56%) and QBR (19.3).

What’s perhaps even more troubling is that the player who ranks just ahead of Haskins in many of these categories has often posted a number that is 20 to 30% higher than what Haskins has.

4 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

Exactly.  I agree but the point is, which many have already stated,  his production on the field simply does not match what come out of his mouth, or his behavior.  The latest exuberant proclamation of "I am a closer" made me laugh my ass off.  BUT I cannot imagine that there is a poster on here that does not want Dwayne to work out.  If they don't want him to be highly successful then they are certainly not a fan of this team.

I get the point.  But I am one of those people who believes that you act like the successful person you aspire to be and then you are more likely to become that dude in reality.   So I do think you need that belief in yourself in a big way before you become big.  I mentioned Jason Campbell as an example because he didn't carry himself like a star or someone who believes in himself.  Obviously, you need the talent to match the ego and on that front maybe Haskins has it or maybe he doesn't.  But I don't mind the mindset of putting the cart before the horse.  I'd rather have athletic arrogance than a dude who is monotone-boring and doesn't give you the vibe that they believe in themselves. 

And I do agree that everyone here wants Dwayne to be successful.  I think everyone here is a much bigger fan of seeing a player succeed to help the team versus being right about a prediction about a player.  I go no problem with those slamming or defending Haskins.  My only beef is with those who think they have him all figured out definitively. 

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

In the breaking news section the hogshaven.com web site just posted Skin stats for the Lions game.  Here are the Haskins only stats::

Dwayne Haskins (Advanced Stats)- To say that Haskins had problems with accuracy in this game would be an understatement. Not only did he have a season-low completion rate, he also posted new season worsts in adjusted completion percentage (50%) and number of bad/poor throws (9).

The OSU product put up the fifth-lowest DYAR total (-116) and the third-lowest total QBR (15.5) among all qualified signal callers in Week 12.

Accuracy is my fear about him.  Said the same after watching him in camp.  The other part I don't love is just about all the beat writers-radio guys saying their sources tell them they are disappointed in his work ethic though some say its improving.  In Arians' book about QBs from his perspective -- leadership skills, accuracy and work ethic are key.  He says QBs got to be maniac level workaholics because there is so much they have to digest each game week and the opposing defensive coordinators are staying up half the night to find ways to foil the QB. 

I got no idea if the Haskins work ethic stuff is hyperbole or not.  But what am hoping for is that his competitive drive as he continues to play compels him to go to town on that front and its also good to hear he's improved.

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2013/02/25/arians-thinks-accuracy-can-be-helped-sometimes/

“I think you can improve all phases of their mechanics,” Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said. “Some guys, if the flaw is so difficult in their throwing motion especially from the trunk up, it’s going to be hard. But the majority of accuracy problems are your legs. Guys overstride, they understride, they put themselves in bad positions and stress themselves. Fundamentals, that’s why golfers go to the driving range every day. Tiger (Woods) is a great player, Rory (Mcllroy)  is a great player, but they go to the driving range every day. Quarterbacks need to go to the driving range every day.

“You want to be more of a teacher than a swing coach. When you are a swing coach, you know you have problems.”

As for the person.  I think he's a good dude.  Not sure he has all the intangibles to be a franchise QB.  But from what I've seen first hand (granted that's just a little) and what I've read about him, I think he's a good guy.

2 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

Just read it.  I recall Bullock was a big Haskins guy before the draft.  I don't always agree with him but I often do.

His take in short was Haskins made good reads unlike the previous game but he couldn't capitalize on them because of his inaccuracy.  It's a good sign that he's improving on his reads but he needs to fix his accuracy issues otherwise it won't matter how well he reads the field.  

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just read it.  I recall Bullock was a big Haskins guy before the draft.  I don't always agree with him but I often do.

His take in short was Haskins made good reads unlike the previous game but he couldn't capitalize on them because of his inaccuracy.  It's a good sign that he's improving on his reads but he needs to fix his accuracy issues otherwise it won't matter how well he reads the field.  

I was noticing that too, that it seemed like most time he chose the right place to go with the ball. But I can't think of many QBs who come from a similar place of poor accuracy but good decision making. Is it easier to improve accuracy than it is decision making? I can't say, but it makes me think of QBs like McCoy who know what to do, but don't have the arm or body to do it. Haskins seems like he's on the opposite side of the spectrum from that lol

I know @Skinsinparadise already posted the link to this article, but I really liked it and wanted to point a few things out. 

1. I like that he's talking to people. While Smith isn't ultimately the QB I'd want Haskins to become, he did have to overcome a lot of things early in his career including a crazy owner, and press that constantly criticized him as the pick. 

2. I like that he also is talking to Doug Williams. Not focused on too much here but I know Doug tried to reach out to RG3 but never really connected. 

3. There has been a lot of talk today on the Sally Jenkins article but this focuses on another side of Haskins. I don't want to call it humility, but he seems to be actively seeking mentors and saying that he knows he doesn't know everything, and we're seeing the results of that in his play. 

10 hours ago, kfrankie said:

We don't need to look far for a comparable. Jason Campbell also had a strong arm with some accuracy issues, somewhat mobile but not a runner, and uncertain on many of the finer points.  Ultimately had some limited success in the NFL with both the Redskins and Raiders.  Unfortunately, I think that may be Dwayne's trajectory.   Patrick Ramsey might not be a bad comparable either.

I was thinking about this. 

He has better legs than Campbell and more pure swagger. Like when Campbell would go for a run, he'd do an awkward slide and then get up and just go back to the huddle. Plus Campbell was closer to Alex Smith where he didn't throw the deep ball enough. 

I was looking at early career stats and thought Drew Bledsoe, and CBS Sports draft profile agreed. But I think Haskins has more mobility than that. 

Others said Carson Palmer

Thers's definite traces of Big Ben there. 

And I've seen comps to younger guys like Josh Allen, Sam Darnold and Deshaun Watson. 

Archived