Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 hours ago, moondog said:

I was excited for Quinn. But he’s garbage. Every throw outside the hashes is too wide for him because he has the catch radius of a trex or alligator. It would show a tendency but he should only ever run routes inside the hashes or drags or at least he should be the absolute last option anytime he’s going outside because he doesn’t have the length. 

Man, at this point I think Quinn might be the worst slot wr in the league. He has 26 receptions for 200 yds on a team that has no TE. That’s phenomenal. 

And I don’t understand if injuries slowed him down or something because coming out of SMU he had 114 catches for 1236 yds and 13 tds. What happened! 

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The selfie thing, in the context of this team, is probably only worth about 1 day of discussion, and then it's really time to move on.

And that’s a sad statement on this franchise.  There are so many dysfunctional things about this organization you have to limit the amount of time you can  discuss any one topic.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I agree, that's all I heard prior to the season starting but somehow that's changed over the course of the regular season.

This isn't what I think with the exception of one part but what really everyone who covers the team has more or less said with slightly different angles and intensity.  Here's that summary:

They do think Haskins is a nice guy and is coachable.  And they also think he's a smart guy.  I mentioned this a few times here but I have witnessed Haskins interact with my kids multiple times ( i posted a picture of that on this thread during camp) among others and he comes off super nice and cool.  In fact part of the reason why the selfie doesn't matter to me is I can just see him being so nice with the fans vying for his attention that he got caught in the moment for totally good intentions. 

The criticism seems to be something like McLaurin (this is an apples to apples analogy Hoffman has used) is mature beyond his years both as to his professionalism and work ethic whereas Haskins some observed isn't mature like that and they don't think its a coincidence that someone like McLaurin has emerged as a star very quick and Haskins is struggling.   Part of that is obviously about QB is a harder position to master and excel at but WR also isn't one of the easiest positions to excel at either immediately albeit its still easier than QB.

They paint the picture that Haskins behind closed doors isn't the most professional as to work ethic (a few weeks back Callahan said he's putting in the hours but now recently the he's not the first to come, last to leave type stories have resurfaced) in the class room and in practice.  They say he's immature and not always professional in how he goes about thing but they haven't really explained what that means but it doesn't come off that any of that has anything to do with him being a nice guy or not.  They pretty much all say he's a really nice guy. 

It's also not hard to piece together that there are 2 competing factions at Redskins Park as to what they think of Haskins.  One faction ( I presume they are the ones leaking most of this stuff to reporters) who think he's likely a bust and they've already seen enough for whatever reason.  A 2nd faction (I am guessing its the bigger faction) that say he's immature and can improve his professionalism but they think he's improving and might get there albeit they still hold some skepticism.

That's my best shot at summarizing the various gossip reports and every reporter from what I can tell is on it to different degrees even Keim who is really gun shy and conservative about sharing any gossip he hears.  Though "gossip" is still the operative word, these are gossip type leaks not reports.  I'd ignore them all but they all seem to converge on a common theme.  So there might be something to them. 

For me I take it with a grain of salt.  I don't ignore it but I do think a player can improve and grow including their preparation, etc.  I think the kid deserves at least this season before landing on any opinion.    

1 hour ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Everyone seems to be stuck on the selfie.  Personally I put that down to being excited in the moment, a young man's folly.  However where I have a huge problem with this kid is his inability to connect with wide open receivers.  That to me is the problem.

I really don't care about the selfie either. He was caught up in the moment. My concern is him as a QB. He just isn't very good right now. He is worse than I thought he'd be. 

I apologize if this was already asked in this thread or elsewhere (too many pages to browse).

This should never have been an issue since the game should already have been over.  Why in the world did the Skins leave 16 seconds on the clock & DET w/ 2 timeouts after the FG?  Why give them a chance at a few more plays?  It just seems like poor coaching.

24 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

On the plus side, he was obviously more comfortable playing quarterback this week, as compared to last.   The fact that he can get better is a positive sign. Let's hope he continues on this trajectory.

Well, If that's true I'm not sure that's really reflected in his performance.  Most people would say that he played efficiently against the Bills, keep in mind the limited gameplan implemented by the offensive coaches.  But I think most saw that game as a positive for Dwayne.

Against the Jets, he was 12 out of 20 for 101 yards with an interception, 6 sacks, and 2 fumbled snaps early in the 4th quarter before the jets final touchdown.  After that, he played pretty well in garbage time which is all you can ask.  I know the sacks and fumbles were not all his fault, but just some numbers to consider.

Yesterday's game seemed to be more of a regression against a team with perhaps a weaker defense.  Not sure if the offense opened up the playbook some more or what, but it appeared that the physical errors such as missing a few critical short throws were the issue.

At any rate, I'm glad he's playing now.  He still has 5 more games to show the "franchise" (i.e. Dan and hopefully not Bruce) that he has the skill set to be an NFL starter.  If he does not show that potential (not that's he's actually a franchise QB, but just that he has the ability to be one) its time to cut bait.  This team cannot pass up an opportunity to get Burrow or Herbert with what will likely by a top 3-5 pick.

Steve Czaban says Haskins is not a stiff.  He thinks as fans we will see him on the team for the next 2-3 years.  He says his accuracy is bad.

Danny will insist he remain the quarterback for the next few years.   So we should just try to fill the other huge gaping holes on this team.

Then down the line we can draft a back up to Haskins and maybe the backup can eventually do well.   Meanwhile, Haskins will be taking a lot of

hits until we can fix the entire offensive line so there is really no need to draft a better quarterback to take all the hits the next two years.  Czaban

says buckle in and hope for the best.  Skins will not be drafting another quarterback for a while.

22 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

Well, If that's true I'm not sure that's really reflected in his performance.  Most people would say that he played efficiently against the Bills, keep in mind the limited gameplan implemented by the offensive coaches.  But I think most saw that game as a positive for Dwayne.

Against the Jets, he was 12 out of 20 for 101 yards with an interception, 6 sacks, and 2 fumbled snaps early in the 4th quarter before the jets final touchdown.  After that, he played pretty well in garbage time which is all you can ask.  I know the sacks and fumbles were not all his fault, but just some numbers to consider.

Yesterday's game seemed to be more of a regression against a team with perhaps a weaker defense.  Not sure if the offense opened up the playbook some more or what, but it appeared that the physical errors such as missing a few critical short throws were the issue.

At any rate, I'm glad he's playing now.  He still has 5 more games to show the "franchise" (i.e. Dan and hopefully not Bruce) that he has the skill set to be an NFL starter.  If he does not show that potential (not that's he's actually a franchise QB, but just that he has the ability to be one) its time to cut bait.  This team cannot pass up an opportunity to get Burrow or Herbert with what will likely by a top 3-5 pick.

Again - regardless of how fans feel I don't think that they will take a QB high in the next draft.  Haskins was likely hand picked by Snyder so I feel - rightly or wrongly - they will give him at least through 2020 barring a major injury. IMO that is also the rt move since they have so many holes. They are not making a SB run next season so they could just as easily draft a QB in 2021.

Burrow will likely go to the Bengals & not sure about Herbert. There is a lot more to an NFL team than QB & Skins need to work on a 2-3 yr rebuild - no rush to get a QB rt away.  However since Allen is an idiot then who knows.

6 minutes ago, dicksogj said:

Again - regardless of how fans feel I don't think that they will take a QB high in the next draft.  Haskins was likely hand picked by Snyder so I feel - rightly or wrongly - they will give him at least through 2020 barring a major injury. IMO that is also the rt move since they have so many holes. They are not making a SB run next season so they could just as easily draft a QB in 2021.

Burrow will likely go to the Bengals & not sure about Herbert. There is a lot more to an NFL team than QB & Skins need to work on a 2-3 yr rebuild - no rush to get a QB rt away.  However since Allen is an idiot then who knows.

We should be all in for Chase this year and sucking long and hard next year for Trevor Lawrence. Those would be a couple of really nice back to back foundation pieces for a new coach. We will just have to see if Mark Rypien is up to the challenge of coaching them up. 

12 minutes ago, dicksogj said:

My point here is that if Burrow is judged to be a franchise QB by "people who should know" (hopefully the Redskins can steal scouting reports from several other teams this time), and he's available they should not pass on him because Haskins is here.  It's possible to call a guy a Franchise Quarterback, prior to the draft, maybe once every 5-10 years (See John Elway, Troy Aikman, Drew Bledsoe (yes), Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck).  Those guys were consensus can't miss first picks, unlike guys such as Jamarcus Russell, Jeff George, Bradford, and Newton who were seen as great prospects likely to develop into top of the line starters.

Believe it or not, this team is already in year 1 of a 2-3 year rebuild.  Things cannot get any worse than they are now, and there's a good, although small, core of young talent entering their prime years (Landon Collins, Iaonnidis, Allen, Payne, maybe Moreland, Guice, Dunbar, Scherff, McLaurin, Rouiller. With proper coaching this does not need to be a process where results are visible in 2022. 

Then again, everything is contingent upon Bruce Allen's firing this offseason, along with the hiring of a competent GM and a talented head coach that can work with that GM and hire a competent staff.  So its unlikely that anything changes.

And all the best to Haskins if he can't show the potential to be a serviceable NFL starter.

1 hour ago, dicksogj said:

I apologize if this was already asked in this thread or elsewhere (too many pages to browse).

This should never have been an issue since the game should already have been over.  Why in the world did the Skins leave 16 seconds on the clock & DET w/ 2 timeouts after the FG?  Why give them a chance at a few more plays?  It just seems like poor coaching.

It was. It was unbelievably dumb.

Just saw some film of his accuracy issues yesterday. Holy hell. How pissed is McLaurin? He was wide open all game, and literally should have had 2-3 TD's and about 150+ yards, but Haskins just whiffed on him over and over again. Brutal man.

On the plus side we have a WR that's an absolute stud. The downside is we have a QB with Christian Hackenberg's accuracy.

4 hours ago, Hooper said:

Sally Jenkins writing about Haskins is downright priceless. They might as well be different species. 

I didn't think she was wrong about much.  Maybe that the selfie thing will be the thing that defines him...but hopefully not.  Hopefully it's a footnote in a long, distinguished career.

But maybe not.  I mean, we remember Gus Frerotte for one thing:

tenor.gif?itemid=11644492

1 hour ago, dicksogj said:

There should be absolutely no question of considering drafting a QB first round - not least because there is not a real blue chipper coming out IMO (with the injury to Tua you have to question his injury history and he may stay in school now anyway to prove his health).

Burrow has a so so arm and no one who watched Herbert against ASU is taking him top half of the first round.

Judge Haskins end of next season - if he does not progress we will be picking high again and in the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.

Meanwhile we can add some pieces that are missing around the QB spot - LT, RT, TE, maybe WR (certainly slot).

35 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

We should be all in for Chase this year and sucking long and hard next year for Trevor Lawrence. Those would be a couple of really nice back to back foundation pieces for a new coach. We will just have to see if Mark Rypien is up to the challenge of coaching them up. 

Chase for Chase!

Yearning for Young!

Terrible for Trevor!

Losing for Lawrence!

5 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

It was a goof. Whatever. Anyone else on any other team and people would have laughed. 

Until last year I lived in Boston. I can tell you no serious Pats fan would laugh at this. They’d be embarrassed and secretly pissed at him. They’d condemn that behavior when talking with other Pats fans. They expect professionalism. That wasn’t professional. 

I hope he learns to keep his head in the game. If he’s going to lead the O he needs to be super aware of every second. Sure he got excited and carried away. But it’s still not something your starting QB should do. 

On a brighter note I do think he’s going to keep getting better. Can’t wait to see it. 

2 hours ago, dicksogj said:

I honestly think that Callahan felt that   Haskins was more likely to **** things up at that stage and take them out of field goal range, so he figured take the field goal with 20 seconds remaining and not risk a fumbled handoff, a holding call, or Haskins being a total idiot and doing something we cannot even fathom.

18 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

I honestly think that Callahan felt that   Haskins was more likely to **** things up at that stage and take them out of field goal range, so he figured take the field goal with 20 seconds remaining and not risk a fumbled handoff, a holding call, or Haskins being a total idiot and doing something we cannot even fathom.

Occam's Razor: Callahan is just a ****ty coach

Dwayne Haskins in on this team because the owner had an emotional connection to him through his son going to school with Haskins.  The football people did not want to spend a first round pick on him.  But they did, just like they did when they traded up 2 firsts and a 2 for RGIII.  This franchise is a toy to Daniel Snyder.  He does not want to win- he just wants his way!The Deadskins will never rise again - as long as little big man is the owner!

Snyder also purchased Walter Football and made them write this totally fraudulent draft projection.  He’s a really cunning guy.

The NFL is always desperate for franchise quarterbacks, and Haskins has the athletic skill set to be that kind of signal-caller. He has a big arm, accuracy, pocket presence, and size. Thus, Haskins looks like a high first-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.  

Considering that Haskins is raw and needs development, he is not an elite quarterback prospect like an Andrew Luck. For this analyst, I would grade Haskins behind some other recent first-rounders like Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Carson Wentz, Pat Mahomes and Sam Darnold. 
Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2019dhaskins.php#uZSMHXVV1RbeFxeM.99

Why are people surprised the media is making a big deal about this?  We’ve seen them make a big deal of players going into the locker room early.  We’ve saw them label TO the antichrist for doing sit ups in his driveway.  Making mountains out of molehills is what nfl reporting is all about... which is why players stick to the script with the press and give them nothing.  They always find a way to spin things negatively if they can get away with it.  

Archived