Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

14 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I saw a clip where there were like 12 people in the stadium as Haskins was leaving the field--there were probably more people in the media entourage than fans in the stands lol...

Still, Haskins is trying to pump them up, get them excited--for a 2-9 team that just barely beat a 3-6-1 team or whatever the Lions' record was. I suspected there would be quite a few who would say something like "Stop acting like you won something today, you're an embarrassing 2-9 team and you didn't play well, if Stafford had played..." etc, etc....for me, though, what I saw was a young player who was appreciating those few fans who still want to support the team without fail. it was as if he was saying "If you're gonna be here for us, then I'm gonna be here for you. This should be fun for both of us." Considering we've had players decide to criticize and insult fans instead of appreciating them, I thought DH wanting to pump up the fans--no matter how few--was noteworthy.

Wow, strawman armageddon sighted.  I've seen nobody complaining about him being pumped up, enthused, having fun with the fans, etc. AFTER the game.  You're trying to make an equivalence between a valid concern of doing it before the game was over and what you "suspected" people would do.

I'm an optimist, so I'll view it through a positive lens.

Up until now, he hasn't shown much emotion at all.

But when the guy gets his first win, even though it's meaningless to the team, he suddenly shows great emotion.

I like it.

It shows he's truly got a passion for the game, and a true passion for winning.

Underneath that stoic face, is a heart of emotion passion for the game and winning. We need that.

Forget the selfie ; The man broke a friggin water bottle, incidentally. When was the last time our QB broke a water bottle after a win ?

That's gotta be a Redskin first and a record.

Away with pesky water bottles that get in the way of our team emotionally churning out wins !

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bringing this to your point for the local media's narrative to have some racially driven point, then the problem are people who actually work for the Washington Redskins.  I don't think Keim for example has racial biases driving his reporting, he's just saying what he's being told by multiple people working in that building.  And I don't believe Keim is the type to make things up or embellish for kicks.  So if there are some racial stuff in the mix then we got that cooking at Redskins Park both among the FO and the coaching staff.  

I don't think any of the media personalities have racial biases or things like that, but we (the community) have to be careful about the narratives that are pushed. So I bring up the reading defenses comment because its one that was actually brought up about Haskins. He's a guy who was known in college for reading film and understanding defenses. So if he made some mistakes understanding defenses early in the season (particularly against a Gregg defense), then its one thing. But repeating the story having problems doing that starts to tie into a narrative (consciously or unconsciously) about QBs like him. 

I agree with you about Keim but as I posted earlier sometimes he can be too cautious with his reports and while it may be good journalism, if JP and Craig Hoffman come out with a report saying "The sky is falling" and Keim simply reports back "all indications are that there have been zero incidents of things having made contact with the ground from the sky itself and meteorologists confirm that this will continue to be the case". It just does nothing for me. Give me some hope. Don't wait til Haskins makes a throw like the 67 yarder to McLaurin to say "thats what he can do", tell me beforehand instead of just repeating "coaches say he's not ready" which was his narrative all offseason.

Like we were hearing he couldn't  put together a huddle, but we've had zero clock issues since he's started.

15 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Its become fashionable for white people to jump into these reactionary race-related topics with their outrage.

To me, it never comes off as genuine, just very fake.

It is a little annoying but I prefer it to the reverse. (Reverse being pretending it doesn’t happen ever and never has) 

i think with a 80% African American game in with a big African American fan base (DC MD) we can be a little less obnoxious about it though. Honestly 

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

"Quick Fingers Brave"

In before the deleted post lol

No **** it only took me like 2 minutes and dude wasn’t even in here. 

The selfie thing was dumb but then again I think most of what the younger generation does is dumb 😂 it’s much ado about nothing, a learning step. He’s a baby faced giant. He’s got to Mature as a person and a football player like all kids do, some are just further ahead than others.  The accuracy HAS to improve dramatically first and it’s  not age related, the other stuff will come. 

We are looking for flashes of skill and of improvement in our QB these last few weeks. Well, we got it. Let’s just look at what happened on the field and leave the other stuff off for now.

In his third start vs. the Lions Haskins began to see the field better than he has up to this point. He began to throw the ball down the field. As opposed to the check down. He seemed to make most of the right reads and protections. He put up 12 points on O.  Still not what is needed but was enough for this Sunday. The game was closely contested, and with the game on the line he led two drives for the FG’s to tie and win the game.

He played with more confidence than he has. Another pass of 60+ that he threw on a dime (Harmon should have caught that ball, imo). 

He also was the most inaccurate he has been, spraying wide open receivers across the field. He seemed ultra pumped up and prob needed to calm down a bit. He said his wrist was bothering him but not sure if that is the reason. His mechanics are a true work in progress. The 1st miss to McLaurin  is inexcusable, he needs to own that, not make excuses for it. He did seem to be throwing to all the right receivers, just did it very poorly. 

These were small steps in the right direction. I like that the playbook has been opened up and he seems to be able to handle it. 

Back to off the field: He needs to MATURE, a bunch. He’s got a lot of work to do. He’s 22, we all made big mistakes at 22. I’ll give him a pass for the selfie, and interviews. I’d advise him to leave all social media alone throughout the season. Focus on the playbook, your opponent, and what you gotta do. I do also like just how much a W meant to him, he’s far from mailing it in. 

I can see him having a breakthrough or two before the season is over. Like a 65% throwing day with 2-3 TDS when it counts. I’m cautiously encouraged by what I’m seeing.. Baby Steps.

12 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't think any of the media personalities have racial biases or things like that, but we (the community) have to be careful about the narratives that are pushed. So I bring up the reading defenses comment because its one that was actually brought up about Haskins. He's a guy who was known in college for reading film and understanding defenses. So if he made some mistakes understanding defenses early in the season (particularly against a Gregg defense), then its one thing. But repeating the story having problems doing that starts to tie into a narrative (consciously or unconsciously) about QBs like him. 

Can't speak for others, but I certainly don't think along these lines.  I  don't view his issue at this time as him not being able to read defenses.  Quite the contrary. He appears to find open receivers, but has been horribly inaccurate in delivering the ball.  He also thus far has done a bad job using the pocket & feeling pressure.

These would appear to be issues that can be corrected, but even in the best case will take time.  Screw being PC & tip toeing around this stuff.  A QB has to take the bad with the good.  Why shouldn't we be honest with our assessments especially since many folks don't have an agenda (that the BS media loves to promote)?

I will add the choreographed celebrations in the middle of the game, aren't all that much better than a selfie before the final snap of the game.

Less the part about needing to be in the game / missing a snap.  But it's more symbolic of what is important to players, and the league as well, who have obviously done a major flip flop on allowing celebrations.  They want the game to be fun for the fans, and the players are taking it to the extreme.

5 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I can see him having a breakthrough or two before the season is over. Like a 65% throwing day with 2-3 TDS when it counts. I’m cautiously encouraged by what I’m seeing.. Baby Steps.

I think that's an overall very fair take.  I'm not as encouraged by what I see, but I hope I'm wrong and it clicks for him.  The accuracy is the biggest concern.

Just now, RandyHolt said:

What accuracy! Joking aside I think we will one day hear, that the game has slowed down for him.

He is firing the ball with racing adrenaline IMHO.  Callahan has to embrace that and get the WRs even deeper.

I do think this is a thing. Hes still trying to think through and react. Once he gets to the point where he can see it all he will improve in all other aspects. Though I also think that he could be out of a job by then. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I do think this is a thing. Hes still trying to think through and react. Once he gets to the point where he can see it all he will improve in all other aspects. Though I also think that he could be out of a job by then. 

I still contend the new coach will not have the patience to teach him, short of our next coach being someone with ties to Haskins. 

He has pretty tough matchups the rest of the way, and think the remaining games will have a big hand in the next coach deciding, "am I tethering my career to Haskins?"

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Anyone who watched alot of film from him at school -- did he throw with touch at all in school? I heard someone say on the radio he never thinks he did, but I honestly had the other opinion but I have no idea why. 

And I will add in a question - could he consistently throw the out?

But Chad Pennington he is not. He fires the ball on a rope, and I theorize he is facing taller fronts and having to throw higher than he wants. Quarterbacks have to have touch, and when they don't, it's ugly. They slow down the motion, and it immediately looks awkward and forced. It's like they release the ball when its behind their head or close to their ear.

I think the jury is still out on the accuracy issue.  His accuracy was viewed as a strength coming out of Ohio State, so he probably has the ability.  Now to be fair, some QBs never make the transition from making pinpoint throws in college to wide open guys against inferior competition to the tight windows in the NFL.  We'll have to see.

I think another factor with his inaccuracy is that he's not throwing with rhythm, which I think stems from not having anticipation of presnap and postsnap reads.  Good QBs in the league will read the defense presnap, confirm the read postsnap, and quickly progress from one option to the next.  If he's not processing enough information at each step along the process and not quickly enough, then his window timing wise will be that much smaller and he has to gun his throws instead of rhythmically going to his chosen receiver.  This part of the game will naturally take time with any young QB and it's hard know where and to what extent the problem is without breaking down all-22 films and the playcalls.

These issues all take time for young QB to mature and requires a good talent evaluator to assess whether the signs of eventual improvements are there.  And that happy task ultimately falls on Bruce? Oh boy....

33 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

He has pretty tough matchups the rest of the way, and think the remaining games will have a big hand in the next coach deciding, "am I tethering my career to Haskins?"

I don't think the next coach would be able to unilaterally decide that, unless he's bringing his own GM. 

This team has too many holes to even consider taking using another 1st on a QB at this point.  We could certainly use a bookend LT, a generational edge rusher, or a top talent at virtually anywhere.  We aren't a QB away from contention.  

Really the next decision point for Haskins is whether he's worth an extension, and/or the fifth year tag. 

Other than that, there's no rush to be right about what kind of QB he is.  Not sure why everyone wants to be first to declare what he is.

Wait until he becomes the limitation of the offense running.  

So I'm listening to Fred Smoot on Doc and Galdi and I think I've changed my mind on this "interview" topic. The way its been worded I disagree with. I don't have any problems with what he said, but as Fred says, he didn't "win" hte interview. He gave an excuse (the hurt wrist) and that's something that should come out through the injury report, not being stated by the player in the post game interview. I didn't hear the comment about throwing McLaurin under the bus or drops by saying he missed a couple of passes but if that happened its not a good look. 

Some other things he said that Haskins needs to improve on are:
 - young
 - overzealous
 - needs to say we've got to get better. 

Archived