Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

This was always one of my favorite Theismann moments, and what happened with the selfie made me immediately think of this.

JT had to learn this apparently himself. Thats why people being so bent out of shape over it is silly. 

I suppose it's the young attitude to how the media works, whether TV and Radio or instagram and all the rest.  Anyone recall a selfie incident with any of the great QB's now or in the recent past?  Says something about the mindset that the first thing he thought to do even with time still on the clock was to get a selfie.  Sort of thing one of my teenage kids would do.  I noticed on the Eagles-Hawks game, the Eagles were down 3-17 late in the 4th and got a defensive turn over.  The entire D ran to the endzone to do the picture-pose thing to the crowd as if they had just sealed a SB.  The Eagles were losing and stayed losing.  It is a mind set, an attitude that is about 'look at me'.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

The clock being ****ed up on the final drive may well have contributed to the selfie saga.  If he wasn't a rookie in his first win, I would be more bent about it.

If I did something similar when I was playing I’d feel like total dog****. I’d be apologising to my teammates not unrepentantly crowing about my greatness. 

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Early 80s Joey T approached near-Namath levels of swagger and self-love.  Dude made Aaron Rodgers look like Todd Collins.

Ha, no doubt. But when I saw his tweet and then was reminded of that '82 moment, I could understand why he tweeted it and why what Haskins did bothered him. Joe was definitely all about Joe at times, but he had exactly the attitude you wanted when he was on the field. I love Haskins' fire overall, though. 

football is the greatest team game ever- this dude needs to learn that fast

people comparing RG3 to Haskins are so off. What level of Undeserved self congratulatory and complete ignorance did RG3 ever display on this level? When he went down to NO opening week and beat the saints, he literally was dropping bombs and getting hit while doing it. He put the team on his shoulders that year and took them to the playoffs. And still was never called out for arriving really late to the stadium, never took selfies with fans during a game in a lost season where a soda fountain drink at Sheetz cost more than most tickets yesterday. The look at me, totally unaware of what’s happening at a macro level to this team is the exact Opposite of a leader. If I had one kid on my 12 year old football team act like this, I would bench his ass so fast. This damn generation wanting credit for everything without having done anything will be the end of me. And I’m only ****ing 37 

13 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

If I did something similar when I was playing I’d feel like total dog****. I’d be apologising to my teammates not unrepentantly crowing about my greatness. 

I'd be too embarrassed to speak. But I am planning on giving the kid a break on this one. The culture has to be off the charts, terrible. The rookies had no idea that a "home" game could consistently be away games. I feel bad for all our young players likely just biding their time here.  The culture is SO bad, we cannot even celebrate correctly.  I will also let this one slide in part because I believe the game clock kept warping 8 seconds off and back on the clock.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me personally, I put most stake in what apparently some in that actual building think of Haskins as a player.  They see him week after week and watch him prepare.  The Redskins "media" especially Keim and Finlay were mostly high on Haskins before the draft.  They've turned some since but in their defense it seems based on what they are being told by coaches and FO people as opposed to anything else.

Why though? Other than the fact that they're coaching him now? But the ones who don't believe in him (especially if he continues to improve) will be let go. Its not a definitive thing that they know more than the draft analysts or his old coaches. Particularly if they were in the anti club or the Gruden camp and think he was unjustly fired. 

I particularly wonder about the rumors I was reading over the weekend that Calihan didn't have the bakcing of the coaching staff. I wondererd where that was coming from and again, if that was Manusky its meaningless. But if its KOC then its something to consider. But then we have to ask if KOC was in the anti-Haskins camp (and really how anti the anti Haskins camp was because I think people like Paulsen like to over-hype things). But I like the KOC and Haskins chemistry they're developing. I think the offense has looked more present day the last 6 quarters or so. And the scoring opportunities are there for him so I think this could be a nice relationship in the works. 

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

For example, just look at the lengths someone like craig hoffman will go to not throw Josh Norman under the bus even with his contract being an albatross and his play being some of the worst out of qualified dbs around the league. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

This. 

I heard him this morning and I wanted to vomit. I don't care what the real reason was for Norman's not playing, for Hoffman to act like Norman was playing well, not getting beat, or had an injury excuse, the way he has gone after Haskins in his film reviews saying his decision making was bad. That was really annoying. 

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

The clock being ****ed up on the final drive may well have contributed to the selfie saga.  If he wasn't a rookie in his first win, I would be more bent about it.

Whats frustrating about this is nobody's (on radio) bringing it up as a possible connection to his confusion. So its like we're going to blame him and say he's just a kid, but not blame the refs ofr saying it was 0:00 on the clock. WE HAVE VIDEO EVIDENCE. 

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This. 

I heard him this morning and I wanted to vomit. I don't care what the real reason was for Norman's not playing, for Hoffman to act like Norman was playing well, not getting beat, or had an injury excuse, the way he has gone after Haskins in his film reviews saying his decision making was bad. That was really annoying. 

Hoffman is doing the Haskins thing for clicks. That click bait ass title about the im a closer comment is good proof. Dude doesnt even mention it until the last 4 sentences and then makes excuses for it when his title makes it seem like its such a big deal. Also remember how Hoffman always made excuses for Doctson. DOCTSON. of all people. Saying hes a deep guy and a deep thinker blah blah blah. Dude decides what he wants to focus on and complain about by whats hot. 

Also, about the clock thing. Its very reasonable to assume that Haskins knows where the clock is in the stadium and noticed it would go to zero before his play clock would be over and didnt give a ****. Since it went to zero and the snap was, literally, as waste of everyone's time. 

ALSO if the dude on the radio was saying people were trying to get his attention and he just didnt care, then why would the coach say no one knew where he was? Hmmmm

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Whats frustrating about this is nobody's (on radio) bringing it up as a possible connection to his confusion. So its like we're going to blame him and say he's just a kid, but not blame the refs ofr saying it was 0:00 on the clock. WE HAVE VIDEO EVIDENCE. 

You know what the media in DC is about though. Thats whats happening here. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The rookie was long, and short, high, and wide.

Really? Because I saw him consistently long, with the exception of one throw where he threw it short and it was intercepted. And then in the post game presser he said that was by design. And isn't long the same as high, but when was he ever wide? 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Really? Because I saw him consistently long, with the exception of one throw where he threw it short and it was intercepted. And then in the post game presser he said that was by design. And isn't long the same as high, but when was he ever wide? 

You are quoting me but unless I am losing my mind that's not my saying, I presume this culled from an article I posted?

I want to post a contrary thought. 

Haskins had a ****ty day. That’s why he celebrated. If he had been 25/29 with three TDS there’s no need to lose your head. It was the surprise of the win and the elation of the moment that this happen. 

After his game winning drive, he saw the interception and the clock at :00 and celebrated. It was eight ticks too early and he should be embarrassed, but he escaped. They stole a W. That’s worth a hug. 

13 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

He was a bit wide on a quick out to Quinn late in the 2nd quarter.

I really don't see the big deal in this, he thought the game was over..shoot, I thought the game was over. and he just missed a kneel down, not like it was an actual play. Folks making this bigger than what it really is. Young man struggled throughout the game but managed to make a big time run and then a big time throw to get the team into field goal range and to win the ballgame..

Folks just looking for stuff to dump on this man, let the man live.

Is it too positive to think that He is showing improvment in making reads, and throwing to the right wide outs getting open? 

I'm all in the lose for draft position camp, but what if Haskins starts connecting on just a few of these big plays. We could finish the season 3-3 in the NFC East. 

35 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This. 

There has to be something there between hoffman and haskins. Baffling the lengths he’ll go to **** on the kid while NOT keeping that same energy for other dudes on the team. 

55 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Why though? Other than the fact that they're coaching him now? But the ones who don't believe in him (especially if he continues to improve) will be let go. Its not a definitive thing that they know more than the draft analysts or his old coaches. Particularly if they were in the anti club or the Gruden camp and think he was unjustly fired. 

I am getting the picture that you are a big believer in Haskins and have issues with his critics?   And I got no issue with that stance.  But debating you serves me no purpose then because i am not on the other side of that position.  I am somewhere in between.  

I am in neither camp.  I've posted here plenty of positive Haskins stuff that's been liked by some of the more bigger believers in Haskins and some negative stuff liked by some of his detractors here.   I am making up my mind but far from ready to land in on a verdict.   Positive-negative information for me is just information some of which I take and some of which i leave.  People can roll in that way anyway they like.  If you value some sources of info over others, cool.  There is no right or wrong on that.   I tend to value certain people myself and look for common threads that are consistent -- that's what moves me. 

I am not shy about planting a hard flag on behalf of a QB.  I've done it on RG3, Kirk, I can get intense.  ;)   I don't really feel intense about Haskins yet one way or another.

I'll just say this to your point.  Haskins was far from a slam dunk loved prospect.  He had some big believers.  He had some strong detractors.  The draft scouting that I tend to trust the most is Bob McGinn's reports.  He's somewhat of a quiet draft legend as to media.  He's been doing it for years.  Some know him, some don't.  He quotes about 6 scouts who work for NFL teams per player before the draft and sums up their report.  He had the most accurate top 100 in the last draft -- that is, matching the top 100 said by scouts before the draft versus what actually ended up happing

Anyway from what I recall it was something like 3 of the scouts had a negative take on Haskins future.  2 really liked him and 1 was "meh" about him.  I believe I actually posted those scouting takes on this actual thread eons ago.

Having said that, yeah if I keep hearing (including just 15 minutes ago on the radio) from every beat guy that they aren't hearing warm and fuzzy stuff as for what the current people over there, both as to coaches and FO as to what they think about Haskins' future then I put some stock in it.   I agree they could be wrong.  Also its also not stuck in time.  A player can leave a certain impression at one point and a different impression over time. 

Giving young QBs time and being patient about it is the sword I've died on for sadly every young QB we've had.  I'll do it for Haskins, too.   I am just not a believer than you can figure out a young QB super fast. 

But yeah if we are just going with outside voices especially pre-draft on Haskins, I can put up tomes of stuff that make Haskins look like Brady and I can ditto put a volume of info that makes him look like a bust.  More positive than negative but he was far from a teflon prospect as for pre-draft takes.  There was a reason why he landed at 15 and didn't go top 3 like the typical franchise QB does.  It was not because there was overwhelming universal love about Haskins.  There was even a well publicized article which was posted on the board about the disconnect as to Haskins (among other players) between scouts quoted versus draft geek types quoted. 

But I got no beef with you or anyone who wants to believe in him.  I am not all in or all out on Haskins.  It's a movie that I want to see more of -- I don't love the first segment of the movie but liked some aspects of it.  My take is let's see how chapter 2 unfolds and give the dude time. 

7 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

There has to be something there between hoffman and haskins. Baffling the lengths he’ll go to **** on the kid while NOT keeping that same energy for other dudes on the team. 

Honestly (and I hate to say this) I think its got something to do with 1067 and their coverage of the Skins. I think they like going for those things, particularly with QBs. But maybe it is him. I would like to go back and see how Haskins responded to Keim (who is more of a supporter, but still doesn't talk volumes of positive) vs Hoffman. 

4 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Honestly (and I hate to say this) I think its got something to do with 1067 and their coverage of the Skins. I think they like going for those things, particularly with QBs. But maybe it is him. I would like to go back and see how Haskins responded to Keim (who is more of a supporter, but still doesn't talk volumes of positive) vs Hoffman. 

Keim is actually a reason why I believe there could be something to the reports.  Keim and Finlay in particular loved Haskins before the draft.  Both of them on different podcasts have indicated that they've heard concerns about Haskins development and maturity.  Keim just isn't heavy handed about making the point but he's made it multiple times. 

My thought though is even if its true, he could be a work in progress, he's a rookie. 

The selfie-thing... whatever. He's a kid. He'll learn from it. His accuracy was all over the place, but he's growing on me. He's way more mobile than I thought and he is ultra competitive. Right now he looks a whole lot like Josh Allen or even Wentz at times in their rookie year. Big dudes who are raw and occasionally flash. I am hoping once he calms down some, the accuracy issues will improve.

Archived