Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

One concern I have for him (apart from accuracy) is his play in the red zone. The game speeds up down there and the windows get smaller. He's not shown yet he can convert on the throws that are not wide open in that area (and he's missed a couple that WERE wide open!)

Still aways to go, but better.

The throw he made to Sprinkle was pretty good. Put it where the tight end would have a chance and it was a tightly contested ball. He really should have caught that one. 

Just now, dballer said:

The throw he made to Sprinkle was pretty good. Put it where the tight end would have a chance and it was a tightly contested ball. He really should have caught that one. 

Sprinkle had 3 drops (including the 2 point conversion). TE is a huge huge need.

On the 2 minute drive to end the first half he made three straight really good throws including one to Thompson that really showed off his arm.

1 hour ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

So, let's take this a little further down the road.  I think most people are encouraged by the progress he's making, but he's starting from such a deficit, it seems like it's going to take a long time to get where we want him to be (if he ever does).  Let's assume he's given/earns the starting role next year, which I think is likely.  What does he need to show to be the answer long-term?  A few things come immediately to mind: accuracy, red zone, mechanics.  I'm somewhat afraid we're going to get into next year and continue to see continued improvement albeit not as much as we'd like and the arguments will start once again whether he's a 'legit' NFL starter.  Thoughts?

This team has lots of needs to address in the 2020 draft.  They should keep either McCoy or Keenum and use FA and the 2020 draft for other needs.  Haskins is the 2020 QB starter and his progress should be assessed in 2020.  At the end of 2020, in my view, he should be playing as well as a mediocre starting QB.  If he is significantly below that he's a problem if playing mediocre during the last third of the year he has earned another year as the starter.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Sprinkle had 3 drops (including the 2 point conversion). TE is a huge huge need.

On the 2 minute drive to end the first half he made three straight really good throws including one to Thompson that really showed off his arm.

I am back and forth on Haskins but got no doubt that he would benefit from a decent TE.  Sprinkle to me is just a guy.  I'd add he'd also benefit from a really good slot WR.  Ironically someone like Crowder.  At Ohio State, he threw a lot of balls in between the numbers -- dig routes, crossing routes, etc.   I think if he had Jordan Reed and Crowder his numbers would be different. 

This is my favorite aspect of his game that has surprised me in a good way.  I won't be excited though until his accuracy looks sharp.  But I like his pocket movement.  On the same play, we see Christian being beat.  Like I said on Saturday am curious to see Christian play against a better pass rusher.  Not that one play defines anyone though so I'll watch him specifically.   

I think we hit on Haskins... Now, he might be a Pro-Browl QB or simply an average starter... But I dont see how he bust with his arm, pocket presence, and general aptitude.

And for all the people who were clamoring for him to start early and said that QB's dont sit anymore... I'd ask "Whats a comp?"

Find me QB with his limited experience (years as starter, level of Competition, and Passing Attempts) in college who isnt a freak athlete to help bail him out?

All of the limited experience guys were great runners... Darnold, Josh Allen, Lamar, Cam, Wentz, Tannehill, Manziel, Alex Smith, etc.... All could use their legs to bail out their inexperience.

When I look at guys drafted early who didnt have that benefit... Kizer, Trubisky, Jamarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez, and Aaron Rodgers

I just think it goes to show that Haskins is one of the youngest, least experienced QB's in the last 15-20 years. Take away the bail out ability that Allen, Cam, Jackson have.... and you have a guy that needs to be at a higher level mentally, and that takes time.

I have faith that we have our QB for the next 5-10.

My only questions are, how do we compliment him and will he take a step up from average to good/great?

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I gotta say, dudes on twitter who are dicing up clips of incomplete passes and being like OH **** THAT WAS ACTUALLY GOOD HERE'S WHY are getting really tiresome.  I'm not saying they're necessarily wrong but the whole "I've got an eye for nuances and subtleties" act wears thin.  

About as thin as the ones who are doing the same thing only in a negative wY... wouldn't you say? ;)

15 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I gotta say, dudes on twitter who are dicing up clips of incomplete passes and being like OH **** THAT WAS ACTUALLY GOOD HERE'S WHY are getting really tiresome.  I'm not saying they're necessarily wrong but the whole "I've got an eye for nuances and subtleties" act wears thin.  

3C63AA4F-D697-40BD-B4C5-33388F08473E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Right leave that **** to the lawyers lol

Archived