Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

People calling Haskins a bust before he’s taken a snap despite being the best Big 10 QB in recent times on the basis that our coach that's on the verge of being fired thinks he sucks.  Wow our fan base is special. 

Not calling him a bust at all.  There are red flags that's all.  

9 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

People calling Haskins a bust before he’s taken a snap despite being the best Big 10 QB in recent times on the basis that our coach that's on the verge of being fired thinks he sucks.  Wow our fan base is special. 

I think Gruden's ability as a talent evaluator should be more in-question more than Haskins' ability or potential.

Jay seems to be being stubborn this year - is jay going rogue?  I don't blame him if he is trying to get fired.

I think its obvious Jay doesn't like AP and is not bashful about that. I think he ran AP into a brick wall on firsts on Monday as a big FU to Bruce and Dan for picking his back for him for the next 2 years. And then not using him in short yardage. We are seeing a new side to Jay, he is openly pushing back more than we have ever seen. 

So if Haskins gets forced in because of injury, is Jay going to make him fail with difficult reads, to get his point across?  It will be very easy to see if he is easing him in (read option, designed runs, run heavy etc.), or throwing the full playbook at him.  He can sell it to the media after the game that welp, he needs to learn.

He loves Colt McCoy so I am forced to conclude I can no longer trust him any further when it comes to judging QBs.

I see an big ole western standoff taking shape.  Dan + Bruce + Haskins vs. Jay + Colt + Case + Cat

tenor.gif

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

I think Gruden's ability as a talent evaluator should be more in-question more than Haskins' ability or potential.

It’s stunning to me that people are acting like he’s never had talent come through.  When has he fought for specific player to stay that we let go? People are acting like Gruden begs for  certain players and we’re like no.  If there is players that he wanted or players that he wanted to keep around we made sure to lock them down.  Cousins is a exception as he never wanted to stay. If he was a good talent evaluator we’d be atleast competing in some way on talent alone even if the coaching was lacking. 

Jay Gruden asks Chris Thompson to run between the tackles for short yardage with Adrian Peterson on the sideline begging to go it. 

But yea, sure. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Redskins nation is feeling gossipy as Hell this week.

Once they started looking at his Instagram I knew what was up. 

1 hour ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

You are basing this on a coach that has a entire team against him now and has accomplished nothing in 6 years here?  You are talking as though Gruden is a amazing evaluator of talent and utilizes his team well.  If anything players do better after they leave his system. 

Gruden is not an amazing evalutor (Perine, Kelley, etc.), but if he thinks McCoy > Haskins at whatever point he wants to pull Keenum...that wouldn't alarm you at all that there is a possibility that Haskins is going to take years to develop?  I don't want another Jason Campbell at quarterback.  

2 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Not really, it could just be Jay making yet another bad decision.

Here's why I wouldn't see it that way.  Say we are 1-4 or 0-5 come Miami...season is over at that point.  Gruden putting in Haskins and Haskins progressing really well would be the one thing he could use to save his job.  If he goes with McCoy, he's at full blown IDGAF mode and either wants to get fired or Haskins is nowhere close to being thrust into a starting role.  Which is alarming considering his draft position.

I don’t get this narrative about Jay being a great talent evaluator. Was he really planning on going into the season with Case and Colt? Colt can’t give you 16 games because of his injury problems and Case is Rex Grossman. Jay was upset about Doctson being cut when everyone could see he was a bust. Jay defended Samaje “zero yards and a cloud of dust” Perrine, Jay kept Ryan Grant out there. If that’s great talent evaluation then I’d hate to see bad talent evaluation. The BS with Peterson proves that Jay is more concerned with winning battles against the FO than winning on the field. Jay is the Snyder of coaches

This is about Haskins, a quarterback with seemingly unlimited upside but a very steep learning curve. The Redskins goal is to maximize his growth and the first step is understanding where he is.

Haskins played in thirteen games at Ohio State. That means fourteen games ago in his football life he was playing high school football. Forget comparing him to Daniel Jones, a four-year starter at Duke. Haskins has played half the high-level football of the Gardner Minchew.

So what is missed by that lack of experience and why is sitting the best play for Haskins? 

College defenses aren’t very complex. A team might play three or four coverages. The best schools actually have to do less because they simply have better talent. The same is true offensively by the way. Jones had to do more at Duke because he didn’t always have the best players. Haskins always lined up with the best players. Arguably his third-best college receiver has turned into Washington’s best wide receiver in Terry McLaurin.

By contrast, NFL defenses are extremely complex. The Giants ran at least four different coverages in their first five passing plays last week against Tampa Bay. Two were different variations of Cover 1, including a zone blitz where New York had only two down linemen and players constantly dodging in and out of the line of scrimmage pre-snap.

Deciphering who is coming and who is not and what is happening behind the rush in coverage is really hard. Haskins has never had to do it and he doesn’t have the escapability of Kyler Murray to overcome it.

25 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Gruden is not an amazing evalutor (Perine, Kelley, etc.), but if he thinks McCoy > Haskins at whatever point he wants to pull Keenum...that wouldn't alarm you at all that there is a possibility that Haskins is going to take years to develop?  I don't want another Jason Campbell at quarterback.  

Haskins has already shown he can handle some of the toughest defenses and toughest environments at the college level.  You can’t expect him to progress though if he doesn’t get any training.  Do you think coaches didn’t let Brady, Rodgers, etc not work with the first team at all?  It’s absurd that arguably our most talented QB is not even practicing with the first time. You don’t have to go full RGIII with throwing him in immediately but damn give the guy a chance to show himself a bit.  His stats at OSU are absolutely amazing and that wasn’t just having great WRs. 

4 hours ago, kwitt said:

My brother knows someone who talks to Jay.  Let's just say Jay is not a huge fan of Haskins.  Doesn't think he can read a defense.  His words and actions thus far back this up.  I too think Jay has a good eye for talent so this is alarming.  I hope Jay is wrong but don't be surprised if Haskins sucks.  Which is going to sink Danny further down on the hate scale if that is possible since he is the one who butted in and essentially made the pick.

I hate the "he can't read a defense" explanation. Notice how it's always aimed at black quarterbacks. (yeah I went there)

From Doug Williams to Warren Moon to Deshaun Watson, these guys always have to work twice as hard for everything. Their intellect, work ethic, and attitudes are always questioned by media talking heads, unnamed scouts, and fans before any other factors are considered. 

Black quarterbacks, so they’re told by critics, aren’t intelligent enough to play the position. They can’t read defenses or keep their composure in the pocket; their skills don’t “translate” from college to the pros. From Pop Warner to college, these quarterbacks — even Moon, as he was coming out of Washington — are told to switch to the skill positions of running back, wide receiver and defensive back. It’s where their “natural athleticism” is better suited. (Black quarterback success is more likely attributed to superior athletic skill by football broadcasters, research has shown, while white quarterbacks are deemed successful more because of their intellect.)

https://theundefeated.com/features/deshaun-watson-and-the-intellect-of-black-quarterbacks/

The book "Quarterback: by John Feinstein. Doug Williams is featured in the book and he tells stories of all the bull **** he had to go through in Tampa and here just to play the position. 

rant off/

2 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Haskins has already shown he can handle some of the toughest defenses and toughest environments at the college level.  You can’t expect him to progress though if he doesn’t get any training.  Do you think coaches didn’t let Brady, Rodgers, etc not work with the first team at all?  It’s absurd that arguably our most talented QB is not even practicing with the first time. You don’t have to go full RGIII with throwing him in immediately but damn give the guy a chance to show himself a bit.  His stats at OSU are absolutely amazing and that wasn’t just having great WRs. 

Rodgers sat on the bench for like 9 years before starting.

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Still have a problem with the idea, that he's relegated to scout team, so that McCoy can occupy a roster spot in hopes of him magically turning this season around if/when he's healthy enough to play. 

What we should've done (and what the Saints did) was get a practice squad level QB, let him be the scout team QB, and prepare your backup to be ready, in case he has to play.  With Jay's gameplanning consisting of passing the ball ~40 times a game, regardless of QB or opponent, I think chances are we'll be needing our backup to step in at some point or another.  

Archived