Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This might be the worst Redskins running team I've ever seen

Playaction2Sanders

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Might be the smartest guy on the roster.

*Also, he's still being drug tested. So you don't need to worry about the blunts anymore than usual with him. 

"Players are tested once during the preseason, April 20 through August 9, and any rookie or veteran “desirous of signing a contract with an NFL Club” is subject to pre-employment testing, too."

This is why any player testing positive for marijuana is a moron, if you're an NFL stoner you only need to maintain yourself for 3 months and then you can spark it up again without any repercussions.

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

Gruden abandons the run. Still thinks he's in the arena league, I guess. Or maybe he just shouldn't be a HC. Doesn't make any difference if we've brought in an allegedly bring OC. Gruden still calls the plays. He's easy to figure out after one quarter.

Gruden's so predictable, he always runs on first down

Gruden's so predictable, he always abandons the run

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

"Players are tested once during the preseason, April 20 through August 9, and any rookie or veteran “desirous of signing a contract with an NFL Club” is subject to pre-employment testing, too."

This is why any player testing positive for marijuana is a moron, if you're an NFL stoner you only need to maintain yourself for 3 months and then you can spark it up again without any repercussions.

I believe players who are in the substance abuse program like Trent can be randomly tested whenever, year round. And they know that. 

4 minutes ago, carex said:

Gruden's so predictable, he always runs on first down

Gruden's so predictable, he always abandons the run

Do you think you're making some kind of point here? In the first half, Gruden does your first sentence, and when it doesn't lead to a great result he gets frustrated with the running game and does your second sentence. His knowledge of situational football is awful for a head coach, he runs at all the wrong times just to be able to say he did, essentially, until it's understandable that he has to throw a lot. 

I don't think it's by design, by the way. I don't think it's some dastardly plan. I think he's a ****ing moron. It's hard enough to have a good running game when you're paired with such a poor defense...it gets harder when you don't know how or when to run the ball.

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I believe players who are in the substance abuse program like Trent can be randomly tested whenever, year round. And they know that. 

"Players remain in Stage Two for a minimum of one year and in Stage Three for a minimum of two years. "

When he got the 4 game ban he was considered stage 3, that was back in 2016.

49 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Might be the smartest guy on the roster

But he has to come back by week 10 or he still has 2 years remaining on his deal.

So he might be coming back to an 2-8 team...

18 minutes ago, Springfield said:

It wouldn’t be a big deal if our pass game was good.  It’s not.

It’s “ok” and better than expected.

6 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

For as many plays Callahan has designed, it’s Gruden calling them during the game. He could just as easily call some straightforward runs if he feels this is an issue.

He did last year against the Titans.  When were pulling bodies off the street on Wednesday to play on Sunday and had to simplify the blocking scheme.  We had one of our better weeks rushing.  Just reduced a lot of the no gain/negative run plays.

14 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

For as many plays Callahan has designed, it’s Gruden calling them during the game. He could just as easily call some straightforward runs if he feels this is an issue.

That's not how you design or call an offensive system and gameplan.  Gruden and Callahan are partners in the endeavor and they create a scheme and plan and philosophy together, and then you execute the plan on game day.  Roane's complaint is that the scheme itself is the issue.  That we've got a man blocking philosophy that becomes ineffective against any kind of exotic run fitting or stunting because of the human element not being given enough consideration in our play designs--that our players can't play fast enough to execute our assignments.

That is a deep-seated problem that you can't fix by just calling a few A or B gap dives during a game.

I think Roane's right that it makes sense to simplify our scheme because, frankly, that's necessary when your OL lacks talent like ours.  Scherff is the only truly good player on the line now, and he's not a dominant force.

But I also think that the role of the QB in a modern, highly effective run game is overlooked.  People ignorantly parrot the nonsense that our offensive success in 2012 was a flash in the pan gimmick while ignoring the fact that most of the best rushing teams in the league now have heavily incorporated college rush concepts, running a multitude of options out of the shotgun and pistol and effectively using the QB as a sixth blocker in the box.  There is a reason why nobody can stop the run games of Baltimore and Seattle.  There is a reason why New Orleans gets a minimum of seven yards every run play where they shove Taysom Hill in there even though everyone knows what's coming.  The quarterback is now essential to the success of a modern run game, and we saw that play out last year with the splits in our rush production with and without Alex Smith.

I also think another big issue is we're flat out weak at RB without Guice and Love.  Peterson is 34 years old.  He does what he can but the speed and creativity just aren't going to be there to cope with weak blocking up front and a QB who isn't a factor in the run game.

Also, did you hear Pam Oliver's end-of-halftime sideline report?  Did Jay Gruden really tell her he is reluctant to use Adrian Peterson because he is a "north-south runner" that limits his offense?  Really?   He should be fired for that alone if that's really what he said to her.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Gruden just doesn't know how to design run games. Our run plays are so boring. We can never get guys in space cleanly, its always a RB running into a mish mash of bodies and takes a generational talent like Peterson to weave their way through to get anything going.

Like I said in the Guice thread, his run scheme is " Hey ya, run that right there into that fat guys ass, eh"

I am starting to believe that Peterson said something about Gruden’s wife and children. I mean it’s kind of nuts the lengths Jay is going to to insult Peterson in the Press and then not to play him or even have him on the field at all other times. 

It feels personal. 

19 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

We've rushed for 75 yards in the past two games combined. That's pretty horrendous. How many games are you going to win averaging 37 yards per game in the ground? 

Pathetic as hell. 

The amount of yards is due to the lack of runs being called.  Even while we are down 1 score, tied, or been up (we've had the lead in both games).

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct

28 minutes ago, superozman said:

The amount of yards is due to the lack of runs being called.  Even while we are down 1 score, tied, or been up (we've had the lead in both games).

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-play-pct

Pretty much. 

First half:
Elliot:  11 carries for 48 yards

AD:  8 carries for 23 yards;  Smallwood 1 carry for 4 yards;  Sims 3 carries for 16 yards

Second Half:

Cowboys 18 carries for 96 yards:  Elliot 12 carries for 63 yards;  Pollard 4 carries for 22 yards; Cobb 2 carries for 11 yards.   

Redskins 4 carries for 5 yards:  AD: 2 carries for 2 yards; C. Thompson 2 carries for 3 yards 

We spend an awful lot of time clamoring over Guice vs AP, gotta run the ball, run 20 = wins, running on predictable downs into a brick wall, backs need 20 carries to effective. We have largely ditched the run and the offense looks decent enough to me, to win games.  Rule changes have dictated passing is easier than decades past. You cannot even hit a QB now. Teams that still think they HAVE to run, fail to seize that advantage.

Jay wants Kamara and that is code for a dynamic all down back but whatever Jay suck it up and pass with AP in the game. He made a tough catch last game and think he has been typecast as a run only back, because he was so good at it. Why pass to AP? He's the best running back etc.

Our WRs and passing game is the strength of the offense (without Reed), and they need to carry the D now, so Jay needs to run up the score as much as possible.

So for the love of the game when down 2 scores kicking off with 2:10 left and 2 timeouts, try a ****ing onside.  Especially on a day THE DEFENSE CANNOT STOP ANYTHING.

Crazy pills watching our coaching some weeks...

I don't think you guys actually watch the game.

The Skins had 13 meaningful plays on first downs in the first half. (Not counting the kneel down). The team ran on 9 of those. And for the most part, the running game was successful on first down.

They had 10 second down plays and ran on 4 of them. I mean, if anything, it seems like maybe we run too much on 1st down. Though - I like I said - it was mostly working.

In the second half, things started getting away from the team in a hurry. The Cowboys scored on 5 straight possession from the second half forward, and all the drives were long. I know they didn't run away and hide until the final score, but I think the ease in which they were moving the ball starts to take a psychological toll, and it speeds up the game.

3 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

FYI:

We are currently ranked 30th in rushing at 37.5 YPG. Only Miami and Cincinnati are worse. 

We are also ranked 30th in yards per attempt. But that's partially because of the futility of Week 1.

I think the futility of the run game is based partially on players and partially on playing from behind in the second half. I didn't have the sense that Elliot was that big of a factor at all yesterday. But he got to 100 yards because they were in "put the game away" mode in the second half.

The plan was running the ball, not turning the ball over, and playing defense.   Worked last year, until the QBs started throwing picks.  Now the defense is non-existent.  It really doesnt matter wanting to run more, that wont keep up with an offense moving up and down the field on our defense.  This plan is broken now until at least the defense plays better, regardless of the running back.

Archived