Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs Eagles Prediction Thread: 2019 Kick-Off Spectacular

skins island connection

Who wins the 2019 kick-off spectacular??  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Redskins
    • Eagles
    • Can't answer, still dodging batteries

I am worried about a journey-man QB in the first year of a new offense, with a young in-experienced WR core coupled with a fractured O-line.  I don't see any way around the offense having to rely on the running game for at least the first month or so of the season, while hoping the passing game can make just enough plays to keep the defense honest. The skill position players at WR are not the caliber that instills confidence in having a new QB to the team.  This isn't even a knock on Keenum necessarily, but we all saw it with Alex Smith too.  Smith, before the injury was inconsistent, but it was a little understandable since it was his first year in this offense which didn't feature any elite talent around him at the skill positions.  

Can Keenum match what Alex Smith did through 8 games? That is the key......Keenum might throw downfield more, take some chances, and it might result in some more big plays than Alex made, but will it also result in more turnovers that can be the difference in close games?

I am not saying any of this to be a downer, it is more just laying out the question marks I have about the offense, and that doesn't mean the answers to my questions will be negative, I just think we don't know a lot of these answers yet because there is so much "new" on the offense going into this season.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am worried about a journey-man QB in the first year of a new offense, with a young in-experienced WR core coupled with a fractured O-line.  I don't see any way around the offense having to rely on the running game for at least the first month or so of the season, while hoping the passing game can make just enough plays to keep the defense honest. The skill position players at WR are not the caliber that instills confidence in having a new QB to the team.  This isn't even a knock on Keenum necessarily, but we all saw it with Alex Smith too.  Smith, before the injury was inconsistent, but it was a little understandable since it was his first year in this offense which didn't feature any elite talent around him at the skill positions.  

Can Keenum match what Alex Smith did through 8 games? That is the key......Keenum might throw downfield more, take some chances, and it might result in some more big plays than Alex made, but will it also result in more turnovers that can be the difference in close games?

I am not saying any of this to be a downer, it is more just laying out the question marks I have about the offense, and that doesn't mean the answers to my questions will be negative, I just think we don't know a lot of these answers yet because there is so much "new" on the offense going into this season.

I look at it differently. I feel better about the offense this year than last. I am not a big Keenum fan, but I was not a Smith fan either. We have more speed at WR this year. And we have Guice. And, i'm not quite as worried about turnovers because I do think our D is better. Therefore, I will trade off some big plays for a turnover here and there. I will say i am a little bit on the hype train of Mclaurin and Harmon, though. And I don't normally get excited about offensive guys. 

1 hour ago, dballer said:

I look at it differently. I feel better about the offense this year than last. I am not a big Keenum fan, but I was not a Smith fan either. We have more speed at WR this year.

What worries me right now is the left side of the O-line being able to pass protect long enough for downfield plays to develop. I believe in McLaurin's speed and ability to get downfield, Richardson's too for that matter.  However those plays usually take time to develop and until (if at all) Trent returns.....I am worried about the health of any QB due to what may be prowling around their blindside. 

20 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

PFT has our power rank at 27.... I know we aren’t a great team but there is nothing to point to that says we are a terrible team.. seems to low to me... we aren’t going through be competitive vs the eagles but we are in 15-20 somewhere in there. We have a good defense and a mediocre to bad offense.

Betting on the Skins Vegas over wins is easy money. Never disagreed with the national outlook more than I do now. Years past I could see it, not this year.

Eagles fan blog perspective

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/9/4/20849901/keys-week-1-eagles-washington-showdown-bgn-radio-kist-solak-show-podcast-nfl-football-preview

• In their weekly OL vs. DL matchup chart, Pro Football Focus has the Eagles with the most advantageous offensive matchup in run blocking and the second most favorable in pass blocking. This is despite Washington boasting some studs along their defensive line. Perhaps it has something to do with PFF ranking the Eagles line as the best unit in the league?
  •  
  • How will Washington matchup with the Eagles wide receivers? Doug Pederson expects Josh Norman to travel with Alshon Jeffery, leaving Quinton Dunbar tasked with containing DeSean Jackson. The Eagles may flip Jeffery from left-to-right within the first drive to force a reaction and make it clear if Norman plans to shadow. I’d also expect Norman to play more press with Dunbar playing more off coverage against Jackson.
  •  
  • Washington has a linebacker problem. Jon Bostic is a car chaser that consistently bites on misdirection and play-action. Shaun Dion Hamilton has promise, but has been banged up in the preseason and hasn’t proven much yet. Converted safety Josh-Harvey Clemons may be their dime package answer, but the Eagles should be able to toy with Washington’s second level defenders with ease.
  • Stud left tackle Trent Williams appears to be holding out, leaving the left side of the line with the aging, street free agent Donald Penn and the woeful Ereck Flowers. It’s feeding time for the Eagles’ defensive line and to say Case Keenum struggles against pressure would be an understatement.
  •  
  • Unless Washington can surprise with a vertical element, defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz should be happy to squat on intermediate routes. This is an area, despite a rash of injuries, where the Eagles thrived last year. They ranked first in Football Outsiders’ DVOA at defending both dig and deep crossers. Washington’s pass protection woes could force them to be strictly horizontal west coast passing team and Schwartz will be more than happy to rally up and tackle. Keenum’s consistency issues will be key here as he attempts to lead long drives without making costly errors.

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'll admit I'm no medical expert, so my opinion on this means practically nothing, but just using pure logic, it seems like it should be the other way around.

If you practice before you clear protocol, it seems like you could risk injury, putting yourself in that situation.

As long as you're in protocol, it seems like there's uncertainty at the level of health, so why risk it ?

Logic would tell me you don't practice until you clear protocol, for safety's sake. But maybe there's other factors and degrees of practice, and of course, medical

aspects that I'm not educated on.

I’m far from an expert as well, but here’s my best guess of how the protocol works:

The player has to go a certain number of days without any concussion symptoms. The player then is permitted to practice in a limited capacity as we saw with Reed today. The player then has to have no concussion symptoms for some period of time (24-48 hours maybe) after that physical exertion.  Only then are they cleared from concussion protocol. 

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

PFT has our power rank at 27.... I know we aren’t a great team but there is nothing to point to that says we are a terrible team.. seems to low to me... we aren’t going through be competitive vs the eagles but we are in 15-20 somewhere in there. We have a good defense and a mediocre to bad offense.

Going through a whole bunch of them, that's a pretty normal ranking, I've seen worse than 27.  The highest I recall was 22 and that was from PFF.

Vegas, draft geeks, power rankers, football magazines, national sports writers almost all converge on the idea that this isn't just a bad team but is one of the worst teams in the NFL with the potential of being the worst.    Chad Dukes right now is interviewing a draft geek who has them with the 2nd pick in the next draft. 

I think they are on drugs.  I don't think this is a good roster.  I don't think though its bad either.   If I went position by position and player by player I'd say its actually a good roster.  The thing that I think brings it down to mediocre is the last place you want to be weak is QB and O line and that's arguably where this team is lacking.  But those prognosticators IMO are taking that point way too far.  I think the defense is good and could be very good.  Guice if he stays healthy I think is a super star.   I don't see this as a terrible team.  I guess will see. 

13 minutes ago, DCtoSC_SKINS_LIFER said:

I’m far from an expert as well, but here’s my best guess of how the protocol works:

The player has to go a certain number of days without any concussion symptoms. The player then is permitted to practice in a limited capacity as we saw with Reed today. The player then has to have no concussion symptoms for some period of time (24-48 hours maybe) after that physical exertion.  Only then are they cleared from concussion protocol. 

@Malapropismic Depository

https://www.wbur.org/news/2018/01/30/nfl-concussion-protocol-gronkowski

Here is a breakdown of the 5 steps to get out of Concussion Protocol. It starts with almost no activity almost full practice during the protocol. There is no set # of days a player can be in each stage. It's up to the doctors. Also, players can move aback and forth between stages if they start having symptoms again. 

It's not written here, but i believe the final clearance has to be outside the teams doctors. It has to be a fully independent 3rd party. i can't verify that right now but I am pretty sure I have heard that several times, mostly directly from teams. 

28-6 Eagles.

We all know deep down Washington isn't any good.  And Philly, who has won 4 straight against Washington,  is a bad matchup for them.

Some other game predictions:

1. Washington's offense, at least early, will probably be Case Keenum scrambling for a couple of first downs.

2. I'll give the skins two field goals in this one (6 points)

3. I personally dont think the Skins defense is as good as some other fans think it is.  Better offense, like Philly's, will handle it.

Look for Philly to stretch the Skins defense laterally.  Will get the inside linebackers and line chasing down RB screens, reverses, receiver screens.  washington will struggle with this

4. Carson Wentz will run through a sack or two and make plays out of what looked like lost plays.

5. 1 big surprise play against washington.  A fake punt, going for it 4th and 1 at the eagles 30, something like that and washington wont stop it.  It will be a game about beating the redskins defense by not playing into its strength but beating it with little stuff: lots of sideline plays (reverses, screens), Carson Wentz avoiding sacks to extend plays, trickery, RPOs......all this stuff will doom Washington.

Edit:

6. Zach Ertz murders the Redskins and I dont see why that wont continue.

7. I dont trust the Redskins defense at all.  I dont trust them to do the little things.  I dont trust them to play disciplined.  Will there be WR's running free uncovered like there were last year?  I dont trust them to avoid dumb penalties.  How many late hits or unneccessary roughness penalities can I expect on Sunday?

4 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I'd feel much better if any of the WRs had good height and attitude to go up and make the catches high instead of waiting for the ball to come to them. DJax wasn't one by any means, but his speed and agility made him a deep threat. WRs like AJ Green, who will go up and catch the ball at its highest point is what Keyman { I know } needs; he would not have so much to worry about if he had a WR who would/could do this.

I've been waiting and hoping for a WR like this; not only for the catches but it will also pull the secondarys back so they're not all crowded up near the line, like it was last year.

38 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

@Malapropismic Depository

https://www.wbur.org/news/2018/01/30/nfl-concussion-protocol-gronkowski

Here is a breakdown of the 5 steps to get out of Concussion Protocol.

They added one more "step".

Step #6 : Have the player read the entire Trent thread, and if that does not cause his brain to explode, or re-concuss, then he may proceed to the next step in practice.

Jay Gruden thinks that success and the strategies they employed then could help them again in Week 1, and he wants his defenders to be aware of Jackson's presence on the field. Always.

"One of our goals on defense is to eliminate the big plays," Gruden said at his presser. "We [have to] know where DeSean is, he's fast, and he's very talented."

Nicholson agreed with his coach, and added that the extreme comfort he already feels playing alongside fellow safety Landon Collins will make that immensely difficult job a little more doable. Nicholson also made sure to point out that the Eagles have plenty of other weapons, from Zach Ertz to Alshon Jeffery.

Jackson, however, requires special attention. That's why, when the defense gets positioned before each play, they'll need to identify a few things: where the ball is being snapped from, where the first down marker is and where No. 10 is setting up.

And if they don't check that last box, then they'll likely know where to look next: Behind them, in the end zone.

I'm just going to throw this out there. We may have not liked how the offense player last year, but the simple fact is we were leading the NFC East until we got hammered with injuries. It's not a fluke to win that many games in the NFL. The only difference from last year is Smith is gone injured and we have Guice and our other players back healthy. Why wouldn't we be able to do that again? Our defense has gotten better and they played great as well until injuries hit us. 

Our defense will be better this year and I think our offense will be better with the addition of Guice. The major concern is more turnovers with Keenum. 

In addition, the Eagles defense isn't as good as it was in the Super Bowl year. Finally, the outlier season for Wentz was 2017. 2016 with Wentz the Eagles were 7-9, 2018 they were 5-6. They are definitely beatable and I expect us to be fighting for the playoffs all year if we stay healthy.

Archived