Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Awesome Problem ; How do you say we split the carries ?

Malapropismic Depository

1. AP should be the starter. He had proven it over the course of his career and just last year for us.

2. I understand decreasing AP’s workload due to age, and I am sure AP understands that too, but you still start him and then bring in Guice to spell him.

3. Bad decision to bench him.

4. Bad decision to mark him as inactive

5. Even if its a “joke” or “jay being jay”, it’s just bad form and leadership yet again from this organization.

6. Nothing about this team is professional. Just a bunch of comedic doofus clowns.

I'm not concerned with who the starter is or isn't.  IMO, the starter in football is kind of an overhyped notion.  It's literally the first player out on the field at that position, it doesn't necessarily mean that that player will get the bulk of the snaps throughout the game.  So if Peterson is the starter and gets 10 carries in a game but Guice gets 20 carries, does it really matter who the starter is? 

We're fortunate to have two backs that should be able to carry a big load this year, but there still are questions.  Guice is coming back from a knee injury and while he looked great in Game 3 preseason, he hasn't played any meaningful football at this level.  Peterson, as good as he was last year, is old.  He's going to hit a wall eventually.  That said, he's a smart runner and is still in impeccable shape.  

I think it'd be a mistake to scratch Peterson for the Eagles game, we need all the firepower we've got.  And I'm not concerned with who gets more carries, what the percentage breakdown is, whatever.  Just as long as we have a good running attack between the two of them where we can win the time of possession battle and open things up for the passing game, that's all that matters.

I get it, we all want to see what Guice can do, we all want to see him be the "bell cow" back or whatever but that doesn't mean it has to happen now.  He's still got a lot of football ahead of him, there's no need to have him suffer wear and tear if we've got another back that can prevent some of that.  I know, I know, Zeke and Saquon, we feel like we've gotta have an answer.  But I really don't care if we don't have a back like those two as long as we've got running backs that can total what those two produce.  

Awesome problem under the wrong coach though.

Jay's never really had an offense that could run the ball. I'm starting to think the poor talent at RB in his offenses is by some sort of design.  (possible exception now) 

We're going to have to find out how to run the ball. I have a feeling there will be times this year, particularly first downs where we'll be discovering what finding out means. 

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I will demand Jay's head on a pike if he healthy scratches AP then we get dismantled on Sunday.  Talk about shooting yourself in the face for no reason.

I dont believe this rumor, it jus doesnt make sense.

If this franchise hasn't been so stupid over the years, I wouldn't believe it.  But that's not the case.

Lets give Jay one game of Guice before we decide Jay should not start him over AP.  Jay surviving this long here has eared the right to play who many think will be our best player on offense.  He doesn't seem to have much competition heh. I would want him fired him if didn't play our best asset on offense.

Jay may not want to risk losing both his work horse backs in the same game. Some theory - he wants his leads to get 25 touches or 0.  No reason to dress AP and risk injury for 4 measly carries since he doesn't play teams nor passing downs. He'll be cold.  Too one/run dimensional to be a game day reserve - he would be relegated to an emergency vulture goal line back.  Jay wants a broader skill set on the field and it starts with Smallwood's hands and returns. Let's call it 2 CTs. Jay may see a shootout coming.

I think Perine not dressing at all last year was the same type situation.  Jay guarantees a workhouse back that knows the playbook is always ready for next week. 

Or, Perine just sucks and he is pissed at AP.

3 hours ago, Mooka said:

Awesome problem under the wrong coach though.

Jay's never really had an offense that could run the ball. I'm starting to think the poor talent at RB in his offenses is by some sort of design.  (possible exception now) 

We're going to have to find out how to run the ball. I have a feeling there will be times this year, particularly first downs where we'll be discovering what finding out means. 

The lack of ability to run the  ball isn’t due to a lack of attempts.  The Skins ranked something like 2nd or third in first down runs last year, and second to last in 2nd down yards to go at 8.7.

Jay has TRIED to run the ball since he got here.  It just hasn’t worked.  Except last year with AP. 

I have been the leading voice of fearing AP would be a malcontent but he said all the right things yesterday.  I am thrilled as I do want to see him come in later in games and be an HOF grade change up back to "throw" at defenses if we ever have a lead.  Pun intended because when AP comes in late with a lead that is when I predict defenses will be ripest to be crushed with playaction and finished off properly.  In everyones mind AP = run whether you consciously think of it or not.

But it sure sounds like he is likely to be a proper scratch and think I understand why if Jay does it. 

11 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If this franchise hasn't been so stupid over the years, I wouldn't believe it.  But that's not the case.

I don't know. I remember a TON of announcers questioning why they were handing AP the ball so often from a formation and depth that he has proven less successful at. Even with the 'skins, when they put AP back in his familiar position, Peterson did better.

Jay doesn't adapt to his talent. He forces his talent to adapt to him. This is one of the reasons why I really do believe the skins have underperformed relative to their talent. Consider Barry and Haslett, we may not have had the best defensive players out there, but there was no reason for them to be that bad every single damn game.

Likewise, I remember Jay always running stretch plays when we had slow footed running backs like Kelly. Did anyone think that was a good idea? And yet, over and over and over, Kelly would be sent to try to get around the edge. On a similar note, why hasn't Jay ever developed an aggressive passing scheme using his Reed and Davis. We haven't had a great receiving corp since Garcon and Jackson left and yet Jay continues to trot three receivers out there when our best pass catchers and biggest match up problems are tight ends. Now, this is somewhat forgivable given how often Reed's been unavailable, but still...

So, to sum up this week's episode of The Most Reactionary Fan Base In The World, fans are upset over a rumor by a Morning Zoo radio host's "source" that tells him Jay Gruden wanted to cut the team's reigning MVP, in order to go with a backfield of Derrius Guice and his knee, Chris Thompson and his annual massive leg injury, Byron (oh ****, missed my block) Marshall and Samaje (got me a yard, time to fall down) Perine.
This morning sports huckster says it is because Jay doesn't like AP in his ear when he isn't playing,, which a year ago was a total of..  let me look..  ah,,  never. he played all 16 games and was the bell-cow.
Maybe he was in Jay's ear demanding to play linebacker while the defense was on the field, i don't know. I certainly don't know football like Mr. Bickel does. 
Maybe AP does this during preseason games that he isn't even dressed to play in. Maybe he comes over to Jay's house nd does this while he's watching TV.
(yes yes we all saw those short seconds of tension on the Saints sideline, and as usual, 3 or 4 seconds is plenty enough to account for all context. )

Fans are further sent into the depths of despair by Jay gruden not really answering who will be active or not.

Well, i mean, he has all the way up until an hour before kickoff til he has to tip his hand, but maybe the fans deserve to know by Wednesday. So the Eagles can know. 
I think the best policy would be for Jay to just publish the gameplan in the paper by Thursday so everyone can look at it and decide if it is smart or not. 

Also, he should hold up a giant card on the sidelines before every play telling everyone who can see it exactly what the play is. After all, how else will we know how stupid he is? Will he activate Wendell Smallwood, a guy signed a week ago and is only useful in spot duty, over the team MVP, proven bell-cow, future HOFer and locker room leader? Why.. when you look at it that way, it sure does make sense, huh?

recapping the last gigantic scoop by the Mornin' Cup-a Yuks team: Jay gruden is being kept in the dark about free agent signings! oh no! This came out the day after we signed Landon collins, a move even North Korea knew we were making.

Let me check how many other multi-year deals were signed after that..   uh,,  hang on.. no.. none..  Ah! Oh, Adrian Peterson. The guy they tell us he wanted to cut. He is the only free agent other than Collins who is not a one year deal. (his is 2) So, morning zoo hollers Jay is not involved with free agent signings ..  in an offseason in which we didn't sign but one long term free agent. (that is, if you believe it anyway.) 

106.7 has an easy job. whatever bull**** they feel like saying, this fanbase swallows it like it was the first piece of candy they ever ate.

(I'd love to see our media try to handle Bill Bellichick. Jay needs to study the man. The answer to "will he be active" is "you will find out when we release the list".  Period. Any further question are met with disgust and ridicule by the master of shutting the **** up. This fanbase would be apoplectic.)

~Bang

Jay does seem to square peg round hole guys into his offense.

I think I am the only one that ever beat the horse on this one, but Perine dominated out of pistol in college.  We never used him in pistol, and he sucked here.  I am not sure its related but figured using a player to his strengths is worth a shot before jettisoning a draft pick.

Try him out of pistol in practice and see if it worked. Maybe the blocking was always so bad it wouldn't matter but think something as simple as using the back in a way he dominated at, seems worth a shot. And also throws new looks at the D, which we hear is not a bad thing.

He probably removed all pistol plays after you know who left town.

It seems crazy to me to have AP inactive on week 1.  And for a guy you just signed this week. I dont care if Smallwood plays special teams, what was the plan had he not fallen in your lap?  Do that instead.

And for a team that will probably need to win with running and defense, not having depth and (until proven otherwise in real games) your best back is a bad idea.  And the only back that didnt miss time last year.  

We'll see on Sunday, but I'm really hoping this isnt a likely idea and was just one of a bunch of ideas kicked around in a pile of ideas for the game.  And that Gruden just doesnt want to play his hand about what he's gonna do.

I would at least want to see Guice for a few weeks and see how things go before deciding he's gonna tote it 20-25 times.

This whole thing is giving me irrational angst.  Like I'm overly concerned about the backup running back. lol

22 minutes ago, justice98 said:

It seems crazy to me to have AP inactive on week 1....

Good post and all fair points. I think Skins fans were all envious of the Saints dual backs Kamara and Ingram type of setup and this was our chance. I suspect AP is not quite dynamic enough in the passing game to be a full 1A1B with Guice. They are different players.

Jay has this complex approach all mapped out in his head.... in the end ultimately feel he has been DYING to see an all down back in his offense and the time is now.  He almost always loses week 1 and this year he wants to grab the bull by the horns and roll tide and Guice.

Famously for decades we hear backs (and coaches) say backs need carries to read the D, get a feel, break one, whatever. If true, Guice and AP will likely both suck in 10 carries per game. Defenses will key heavy run on AP so it will be tough sledding. Or, if we pass with him in the game, are passing with our worst hands back in the game. Not necessarily a great approach when Jay has Guice CT and SW in his arsenal.

52 minutes ago, Bang said:

106.7 has an easy job. whatever bull**** they feel like saying, this fanbase swallows it like it was the first piece of candy they ever ate.

Great post, Bang.

I don't believe for a minute that AP will be inactive this Sunday.

What if (God forbid) something happens to Guice? They are going to rely on Smallwood to carry the ball?

I don't see that.

Also, i'd lay a dollar that nearly every backup / platoon player's name was mentioned as a potential cut at least at some point or another as they trimmed the roster.

Even if the answer is a swift "no", they still 'discussed" it, right?

I'd be shocked if AP is a scratch. If he was, well, i guess there'd have to be a damn good reason, of which i just don't see what it could be. 

There is no way in hell you de-activate him and go with Marshall and / or Smallwood.
AP can out-produce those guys in his sleep in every aspect of the position. And neither of them are good enough on Special Teams to warrant that being a reason.

~Bang

53 minutes ago, Califan007 said:
*Adrian Peterson on being a backup at the end of his Hall of Fame career. *

I do believe that the money is talking. Which is absolutely fine with me. As long as we don't go through the effort of losing a still-productive HOFer, I'm happy.

Archived