Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Awesome Problem ; How do you say we split the carries ?

Malapropismic Depository

I dont know that you have a set way to do it.

Let AP/Guice both get carries early if both are healthy. If one is having a good game, ride him until he slows or he's fatigued then spell with the other. If he gets hot, leave him in a bit. Utilize multiple backs in the personnel packages... That makes it harder for DCs to figure out what formations the offense will run as well. (Thompson should be used a LOT in these roles).

If one is a little banged up, let the other horse work.

I don't think we should run either of them into the ground. AP is aging. Guice coming off of some injuries. Thompson the same. 

Utilize them all...

I wouldn't "split carries" in the traditional sense though, unless they are both having the same kind of game... then keep em fresh. But if one guy is really going, let that bell cow roll. 

The one caveat, though, is that they have to get enough carries to really get in the groove.

So the alternative to what I just said above would be, if everyone is healthy, to let Guice get the first few carriers (think 6-10ish) to see if he's on a roll. If he's not, bring AP in and do the same. Fantasy owners would hate that, but I think it's a good strategy for this team.

38 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

From Jay's last presser, it really sounds like Guice is going to be Bell Cow

I love it.  I want him to be on the field for all 3 downs for multiple series. CT is awesome just great but has been THE core of Jay's deception of his tenure here, largely by running CT on passing downs.  It's high time this ends and Jay try deception through other means.  I have felt we could have passed more to AP to trick defenses but he only had 26 targets on 270 touches. AP = Run CT = Pass. Sprinkle = Run Reed = Pass.  I don't think Jay could have made it any easier on defenses.

Folks have injury concerns about Guice but seem to overlook injury concerns for CT and AP.  AP has a high tolerance for pain but it doesn't mean he has been injury free. All backs are at risk but that is life in the NFL. We saw many backs, and even their backups, having monster performances all across the league (fantasy owners know who) but AP at his best had just 4 ~100 yard games with no real competition. That was not enough to earn him the undisputed starter slot this year. 

This problem might not be so awesome after all.

Citing "a well-placed source," The Sports Junkies said Washington Redskins head coach Jay Gruden did not want to retain veteran running back Adrian Peterson.

Bickel adds this was not because of Peterson's production, but because the 13-year veteran "doesn't like being a backup."

"AP likes to get in Jay's ear if he's not playing. And Jay doesn't want to deal with it," Bishop said. "And that's a well-placed source that told us that. And so there was a fight... apparently, there was some sort of a disagreement on Saturday over (at Redskins) Park about it."

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

He will be traded to RB needy team.

In the end, that will probably be the solution, and probably the right one too if all goes well. Worst case scenario: Guice gets injured so AP is our top back again. Best case scenario: We slap him on the back, give him one for the road, trade him to his next team.

Then again, Bruce's plan might be to hold onto him anyway to make a point. I wish it were only a joke. <_<

I have been saying it ever since we resigned AP. He may not like being a backup and when Guice took over it may well come to the surface.

I was concerned because he couldn't even accept being behind Alvin Kamara, for Pete Kendall's sake.  Sure, AP wants to showcase himself whatever but if we expect him to MENTOR Guice or some baloney he was not my first choice. CT is probably a good enough mentor, right?  

A fine example you set.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

If you think there isn't a bit of tension between AP and the Redskins (it goes both ways) because of his affiliation with 71, I have some swamp land to sell you.

Doesn't surprise me.

I kind of expected it. It happened in New Orleans with AP. And AP has quite a bit of justification, after what he did last season.

And I wonder if Trent's situation has anything to do with it.

Since they're so close, maybe he's doing all he can to get shipped out, like Trent.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Doesn't surprise me.

I kind of expected it. It happened in New Orleans with AP. And AP has quite a bit of justification, after what he did last season.

And I wonder if Trent's situation has anything to do with it.

Since they're so close, maybe he's doing all he can to get shipped out, like Trent.

Keep in mind, nobody has reported that AP actually did anything. The expectation is that AP will start to say something when 'the offense goes through Guice.' AP doesn't go to any team to play second fiddle, and Trent's situation has nothing to do with that.

Just now, NickyJ said:

Keep in mind, nobody has reported that AP actually did anything. The expectation is that AP will start to say something when 'the offense goes through Guice.' AP doesn't go to any team to play second fiddle, and Trent's situation has nothing to do with that.

Agreed on the first point.

Trent's situation can certainly exacerbate things, though. (That's my big word for today) 

On 8/25/2019 at 12:04 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

the question is who starts.  I think AP should start.  If he’s going well, then you ride him and spell him with Guice. 

This. We saw what happened with AP in New Orleans 2 seasons ago when he had to split carries and it wasn't good. Start AP, Give him the rock till he is exhausted , spell with a fresh Guice (6-10 carries a game) and then CT on 3rd and passing downs.

2 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

This. We saw what happened with AP in New Orleans 2 seasons ago when he had to split carries and it wasn't good. Start AP, Give him the rock till he is exhausted , spell with a fresh Guice (6-10 carries a game) and then CT on 3rd and passing downs.

I'd agree with this. Because I think it's important to keep AP happy, in order to keep him.

Not to go out of our way to keep him happy, but make a decent attempt.

Because if there's a choice, I'd rather not go into the season without him. The insurance package of having both of them is huge, with the uncertainty of how Guice is going to end up.

8 hours ago, NickyJ said:

This problem might not be so awesome after all.

Been thinking more about this report, and doubting it more.

AP chose to re-sign here, not just for 1 year, but 2 more years, and at the time, he surely knew that we envisioned Guice as our future, probably beginning this season.

So he can't be all that surprised by the plan to emphasize Guice this season.

Also, I tend to question the story anyway, because I doubt a RB is going to be in his HC's ears all the time about not getting enough carries, BEFORE the season even starts.

Like the twitter comment responses say, I doubt there's validity to the "sources".

Unless, again, Trent has something to do with it. None of us knows for sure, but I guess it's possible Trent convinced AP the franchise isn't worth playing for, and maybe AP is looking for an "out", just like Trent.

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Peterson doesn't do well sharing the ball. He's a workhorse and he needs to rev up. I'd much rather he start and let Guice spell him.

That sounds like it may work.

Because based on the last 2 preseasons, Guice's engine doesn't need to warm up. He's an immediate spark as soon as you plug him in the game.

I call bunk that AP needs 250 carries to make positive contributions to the offense. He is primed for a scaled back role if his ego can handle it.  I bet he doesn't like getting old just like everyone else. 

If Jay didn't want AP it's probably because he knew AP would immediately become disgruntled if Guice shined, and that it would cost him a RB, to hold AP for a month.   Most scoff at Perine as useless but he was quick to get signed. 

AP signing for 2 years here means nothing. I didn't like the signing and was likely the only one. No one even wanted him less than a year before he signed that contract. He liked it here, maybe because he had no competition and was likely quietly hoping for the same again this year. When he signed he probably knew that Guice had multiple complications.  Heck Guice wasn't even cleared until 2 weeks ago.  AP is probably pissed that Jay wants Guice. Tough **** its his choice he has been waiting to play Guice for 16 months. Everyone already knows what AP brings to the table.

No matter where AP would go, teams were not going to push all in on him. Just like New Orleans didn't when they drafted Kamara.  Just like we drafted Love. He needs to suck it up if he is a backup.  Aren't we teaching lessons to players? A fine example it would set to have a squeaky wheel dictate our lineup.  I want Jay to stand firm and play the players he wants. Its his final year and AP doesn't have the hands he likely wants from his backs.  AP seems to be very strong willed which would point to butting heads with a head coach, don't cha think?

One thing that has not been proven yet, and that is Guise's ability to be productive.

He was injured all of last year, so no one really knows how well he will perform on the field; he may turn out to be a fumbling machine, or he may be one of those line-busting bulldozers; we just don't know yet.

We've had RBs in the past who were touted as being good, but couldn't hit the holes and bumbled for 1-2 yds per carry. Timing on hitting the holes, blocking ability, catching passes, and ball security are the main goals.

I would give AP the slight majority of carries, maybe 45% - 40% - 15% and just wait-n-see; AP is a damn good RB who knows what needs to be done, Guise is still wet behind the ears but wants to prove himself,  and Thompson is a good 3rd down back, so its a good problem to have, but I think the answers will be given in the first 3 games.

Remember, we have a QB who needs all the protection he can get, that is my biggest peeve right now, so I'm curious to see how well Guise can protect his QB.

Obviously I have no concerns with Guice. I theorize he had an untreated or lingering college injury that never healed up, hence the drop to us. And hence him dropping to IR on an otherwise innocent looking tackle.  Now he is finally 100%. 

Injury last year aside, first round RBs are largely ready from the get go. If they cannot block, then they aren't first rounders. We see guys that look great taken in the 4th round and get cut and we scratch our heads.  Guess what - he cannot block. Guice has had a year to learn Jay's blitz terminology etc so it should just be technique at this point.

RB Fumbles... IMO if there is a problem there its usually resolved long before draft day.... by not being a RB. You'll be a LB next year kid.   What top tier RB had their career ended by fumbling. Don't say Matt Jones.

Otherwise, I think a lot of fumbles are bad luck or random; they can be corrected. A guy can carry a ball in this wrong hand and not fumble. Many fumbles get brushed aside when its not a turnover. IIRC AP used to fumble a bit more than average. 

About protecting the QB.  If Guice is not good at it, don't force the issue. I want Jay to study how offenses complete passes with an empty back field, or a single back that heads to the flat.  If QBs always got killed with 4 or 5 wide guess what - no teams would use that formation. Like, ever. Since QBs are such an integral part of a teams success.  You know what going 5 wide does? It simplifies the blocking.  There is no brain fart risk by the RB.  Less guys in the box to confuse the OL.  The onus is on the QB to just get rid of the ****ing ball. Nothing there?  Loft that duck deep down the SL  / throw it away / INT is like a punt.

Archived