Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Awesome Problem ; How do you say we split the carries ?

Malapropismic Depository

6 hours ago, Bang said:

And neither of them are good enough on Special Teams to warrant that being a reason.

~Bang

The ST value they bring would mean more to me if they actually covered kicks too. If all they do is return kick offs, they might get one or two of those a game.  It's the most marginalized aspect of special teams.  That doesn't seem worth not having a guy for regular downs.  I could be wrong, but I don't think Marshall (when he was here) or Smallwood ever covered kicks.

2 hours ago, Bang said:

(I'd love to see our media try to handle Bill Bellichick. Jay needs to study the man. The answer to "will he be active" is "you will find out when we release the list".  Period. Any further question are met with disgust and ridicule by the master of shutting the **** up. This fanbase would be apoplectic.)

When Jay was asked about AP's carries, Guices' carries, etc and Jay launched into the whole "Guice motherload, blah blah thing"  I was thinking how Bill would answer the question: "do you see AP's carries being decreased because of Guice." The answer I came up with was, "Maybe."  And I'm guessing that might be the only word of the answer.  If he was in a very verbose mood, he might say, "Possibly."  Or if he was just giddy, he might say, "We'll see." (2 words!)

But that's all you would get.  None of this, "Guice will start, and then we'll see, and he was our second round pick, and on an don and on.  "Maybe." 

There was a presser a few years ago when a reporter asked about a player's injury status, I think it was Gronk who was somewhat iffy for the game. 

Question: "Coach, do you have an update on [Gronk?]"

Answer: "No. Sorry."

I was AMAZED that he added the "sorry." Which is why it stuck out.

This year, we got this gem:

Amazingly, the only time Jay has channeled his inner Bill Belichick is when he (or somebody) sent Griffin up to the podium to say, "on to San Franscisco" one million times.  

Gruden and Belichick are no comparison at all. Belichick will you give you a one liner brush-off every time, even if you ask him if Brady is going to start today. Gruden is bounces back and forth. Sometimes he'll give a look at the tape brush-off, other times he'll tell you what his 4th string WR had for breakfast last Tuesday. It's easy to get caught up in speculation because Gruden often feeds us just enough to speculate about. So here we are.... speculating.

At the end of the day there are not enough carries to go around. Guise projects as a more dynamic RB in both rushing and receiving and everyone seemed to forget about CT who was our most dangerous RB when healthy. All are healthy now and there are not enough carries to go around between the three. Not to take anything away from AP but we are loaded at RB right now. With injuries this could always change but we need to put our biggest play makers on the field, today its Guise and CT.... just that simple

44 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Gruden and Belichick are no comparison at all. Belichick will you give you a one liner brush-off every time, even if you ask him if Brady is going to start today. 

Belichick is the master of the one liner (or one word) brush-off.

Joe Gibbs was the master of the coachspeak. He could talk for 5 minutes and sound profound doing it. But in the end, he would say nothing. :)

I will be the salmon and predict AP will be inactive.  Where there is smoke, there are smoke signals.

It's not always about dressing your best player. It's about dressing who you need in that game. I really don't see AP getting 5 carries / being injury insurance as being a difference maker.  Jay wants hands guys. Heck he just brought in Smallwood to replace Perine, if anyone is looking for any tells.

Is Sims better than Harmon? I don't think so but predict Sims will be the one active of the 2. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, oraphus said:

At the end of the day there are not enough carries to go around. Guise projects as a more dynamic RB in both rushing and receiving and everyone seemed to forget about CT who was our most dangerous RB when healthy. All are healthy now and there are not enough carries to go around between the three. Not to take anything away from AP but we are loaded at RB right now. With injuries this could always change but we need to put our biggest play makers on the field, today its Guise and CT.... just that simple

Recent history suggests Guice and CT arent the poster children for durability right now.  Two guys who quite literally have never been healthy for any sustained period of time in their careers college or pro.

Another capable guy being present and active would seem like a good idea to me.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

When Jay was asked about AP's carries, Guices' carries, etc and Jay launched into the whole "Guice motherload, blah blah thing"  I was thinking how Bill would answer the question: "do you see AP's carries being decreased because of Guice." The answer I came up with was, "Maybe."  And I'm guessing that might be the only word of the answer.  If he was in a very verbose mood, he might say, "Possibly."  Or if he was just giddy, he might say, "We'll see." (2 words!)

But that's all you would get.  None of this, "Guice will start, and then we'll see, and he was our second round pick, and on an don and on.  "Maybe." 

There was a presser a few years ago when a reporter asked about a player's injury status, I think it was Gronk who was somewhat iffy for the game. 

Question: "Coach, do you have an update on [Gronk?]"

Answer: "No. Sorry."

I was AMAZED that he added the "sorry." Which is why it stuck out.

This year, we got this gem:

Amazingly, the only time Jay has channeled his inner Bill Belichick is when he (or somebody) sent Griffin up to the podium to say, "on to San Franscisco" one million times.  

Every week it seems in my world famous hilarious podcast the Bang Radio Hour we have part of his presser. It is ridiculously funny.

Last episode we had him jn a preseason game leaving the,field at halftime being accosted by one of those useless sideline reporters.. asked him about Josh gordon. 

Bill said "we released a statement"

Reporter asked if he had anything he wanted to add

Bill: no, that is why we released a statement.

And he left the guy standing there.

Gruden needs to watch film of Bill on how to do this.

~Bang

1 minute ago, Bang said:

Every week it seems in my world famous hilarious podcast the Bang Radio Hour we have part of his presser. It is ridiculously funny.

Last episode we had him jn a preseason game leaving the,field at halftime being accosted by one of those useless sideline reporters.. asked him about Josh gordon. 

Bill said "we released a statement"

Reporter asked if he had anything he wanted to add

Bill: no, that is why we released a statement.

And he left the guy standing there.

Gruden needs to watch film of Bill on how to do this.

~Bang

I mean, part of the reason he can get away with this is because he has hardware.  And a lot of it.  If he was a perennial 7-9 coach, I think he'd be taken to task a lot more by the media. Then he'd be fired and everybody would talk about what a gigantic ass he is, and that's why he lost. 

Guice is coming off major knee surgery, Thompson has injury history as soon as he gets used too much.

AP is here and healthy and showed last season he is perfectly capable of anchoring a RB tandem.

I think coming out of the gate you Bring Guice along slowly.  It doesn't mean he doesn't "start" but there is no reason to give him 25 carries in the first game and have AP standing on the sideline twiddling his thumbs.  You signed him to an extension for a reason, he is *still* too good not to be used consistently. 

The carries ratio changes once Guice establishes himself as a bonafide feature back, which I believe he will, I just don't see the need to force it Week 1 given what he just battled back from.   Let it come naturally.  

6 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I do believe that the money is talking. Which is absolutely fine with me. As long as we don't go through the effort of losing a still-productive HOFer, I'm happy.

That tweet is dated Sept 5th.

However, my question is when did AP make the actual quote ?

It could have been long before that.

And I think the date he said it, is highly relevant.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I will be the salmon and predict AP will be inactive.  Where there is smoke, there are smoke signals.

Not necessarily.

Some "reports" have zero basis.

24 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not necessarily.

Some "reports" have zero basis.

I hope he plays! I really want to see him come in fresh after the flies D gets a little gassed or we get a lead late. Oh ****, here comes fresh AP. Trot out a 3rd OT in week 1 for a play to make DCs have to game plan for it all year.

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

I mean, why not ?

RB by committee has proven to be very successful in the NFL.

Why not at least see how the Guice/AP tandem works ?

Again I want to see it, but last year Jay only had 1 workhorse back active the entire year. I think Perine was active once or twice the weeks that AP was limping and pushing his way through.

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

But that was Perine

You know Perine was quickly picked up, right? 

Maybe he is not as terrible as we all thought.

We were paper thin sure but he was on the team all year, and think its obvious he would have played if AP missed games.   They even kept him over Bibbs.

I assume you think AP is an obvious lock to be active every game. I stand firm that is not the case. He doesn't play teams, just like Perine didn't.  I am basing my theory on Jay's template from last year.

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

You know Perine was quickly picked up, right? 

Maybe he is not as terrible as we all thought.

We were paper thin sure but he was on the team all year, and think its obvious he would have played if AP missed games.   They even kept him over Bibbs.

I assume you think AP is an obvious lock to be active every game. I stand firm that is not the case. He doesn't play teams, just like Perine didn't.

Yes sir, I'm aware he was picked up.

But that alone does not change my personal opinion that he is not an NFL talent, based on what I saw, and did not see from him, over the last few years.

Maybe he does better in a different offense, Oline, surroundings, different role, etc. But if I had to make a bet, I would lean toward him not becoming productive in the NFL.

We know that Jay liked Perine a lot, at least as a person (if not a player), and as recent as this summer. If he was cut despite that, maybe it says something about his talent. And because Jay liked him so much, that probably had a lot to do with Cincy picking him up, because I can see Jay doing the courtesy of calling his old ball club and recommending Perine to them as a favor.

Maybe he's not as bad as we all thought, but isn't it possible he's as bad as we all saw with our own eyes?

Cincy picked him up, so when they need that guy on 2nd and 8 to miss the hole, gain a half yard and fall down, they have their man.
I doubt he will make much dent in their offense.

Not you on this Randy, but damn, our fan base over-vaules some bums.. and always has. Babe Laufenberg was a friggin' hero in this town.

Actually heard people whining that Doctson was going to go tear it up in Minnesota.

~Bang

13 minutes ago, Bang said:

Not you on this Randy, but damn, our fan base over-vaules some bums.. and always has. Babe Laufenberg was a friggin' hero in this town.

Actually heard people whining that Doctson was going to go tear it up in Minnesota.

~Bang

There's a case to be made about "Babe" being a hero. I mean, whenever relatives visit town, we be sure to get some photo poses by the Babe Laufenberg statue.

I keep hearing how AP might not be active and how AP may not be here after the trade deadline etc.. I hope this is just all talk by the media... I don't understand how AP wouldn't be a big part of this offense.  I like Guice and am as hopeful as anyone for his future but to kick a stud like AP to the curb right now is mind boggling.  Again I hope its just being blown way out of proportion on the radio.

I don't care who starts but we need AP and Guice both running.  One is a HOF back.  The other is basically a rookie with great potential.  Don't screw up one of the few bright spots on our offense.

Bruce allen won't even tell you a word in the TW situation, never says anything at all.

There is no way he's letting slip any trade ideas. he never even told us he was trying to trade Doctson, and we'd have LOVED that.

~Bang

Archived