Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The current status of the Redskins o-line.

bakedtater1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That was his one bad rep in pass pro, and it was a failed blitz pick up.  It might not have all been on him.  The rest of his reps he was an anchor who gave up nothing.

Yeah he just got beat to the outside and the RB didn’t do him any favors.  I’m not down on him at all, just noticed it. I’d start him over flowers no doubt but the coaches feel otherwise till now. 

Also saw twice our TE’s being asked to block a LB or DL one v one. Both sprinkle and Holtz struggled with is. 

746482B4-789D-4F66-ABC6-794D0CA6FA95.jpeg

1A13F8E2-7DA6-42EF-9115-B99D57175D9E.jpeg

1D46AE42-FEEA-45DA-B9E7-D5F731D411A8.jpeg

I hope Callahan can put together a good running o line..slams his fist down on the table and screams at Jay to hand off, hand off, throw..if we wanna do anything this year its gonna have to be with a heavy dose of running the ball with play action..and good defense...and maybe a couple special teams plays to bounce our way like what happened last night lol

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I think we have to draft a tackle high next year - two probable top 10 tackles coming out. And I think it's likely we will be picking in that 8-14 range. Then I would keep adding one or two picks a year in the lower rounds. With the state of O'Line play in the NFL these days anyone even half-way decent does not hit free agency unless there is a buyer beware stamp on them for some reason.

Who are the two tackles you're looking at in the top ten?  I'm slowly working my way through last year's cut ups for the OLs this season and I'm curious to watch the top talent in the group.

Regarding this season's group, I just don't see a realistic way that they end up being good.  Not unless Christian shocks the hell out of us.  And I've got a weird feeling about Scherff's extension.  He's good and I think he'd easily be the best guard on the market this summer.  But I kind of have a feeling that he's not as good as the market will pay him, and he's going to be 28 next season.  I've got to say, I thought he'd have an All Pro selection on his resume by now.  I thought his ceiling would be a little higher.

Still, we're not doing better than him and we could do far, far worse.  We better freaking pay him.  And I could see contract year Brandon Scherff really breaking out and forcing us to spend our money.  He seems like the type to bet on himself and then go out there and kick ass.

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

I hope Callahan can put together a good running o line..slams his fist down on the table and screams at Jay to hand off, hand off, throw..if we wanna do anything this year its gonna have to be with a heavy dose of running the ball with play action..and good defense...and maybe a couple special teams plays to bounce our way like what happened last night lol

Only problem with this is that it is highly predictable and teams will adjust. We should be running a lot but we have to have a healthy does of passing game or we will be the plodding offense we always are. 

I will say that guice looked like a difference maker out there. If he turns into a playmaker of the zeke Barkley ilk then our offense gets immensely better overnight and we are division contenders. 

But make no mistake, our oline will be horrendous this year and we will be capped at how far we can go because of it. I've seen this game before.. we have known weaknesses at a positional unit and our attempt to fix the problem has already failed. It is very doubtful that we find talented scheme fit players as the season goes on. 

This way a really good draft for tight ends and we missed an opportunity to shore up the oline and have a Reed/Davis replacememt for guarenteed injuries. It was my only real issue with our draft. 

Hopefully the run game during the regular season is as good as what it *looks* like it has the potential to be because if it is, then the playaction pass is going to go a long way to help mask the O-line's pass protection issues, especially on downs where it is higher % run.

Also Gruden has to break up the predictable stuff.  We've heard the last couple of seasons that 90% of the time specific TE's come into the games for runs versus passes.  That is not going to the O-line any favors.  

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Who are the two tackles you're looking at in the top ten?  I'm slowly working my way through last year's cut ups for the OLs this season and I'm curious to watch the top talent in the group.

Tristan Wirfs (plays RT) and Andrew Thomas (LT) are the names I have seen floated as possible top 10 picks. 

Still, we're not doing better than him and we could do far, far worse.  We better freaking pay him.  And I could see contract year Brandon Scherff really breaking out and forcing us to spend our money.  He seems like the type to bet on himself and then go out there and kick ass.

This team HAS to sign Schreff. Even if it means slightly over paying. With Trent as good as gone (it seems) we cant afford another hole on that line. we will be picking a tackle high next year and probably adding another O'line pick at some point as well anyway.

16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Tristan Wirfs (plays RT) and Andrew Thomas (LT) are the names I have seen floated as possible top 10 picks. 

This team HAS to sign Schreff. Even if it means slightly over paying. With Trent as good as gone (it seems) we cant afford another hole on that line. we will be picking a tackle high next year and probably adding another O'line pick at some point as well anyway.

plus for dealing with Scherff, the upcoming end of the CBA limits how much anyone can increase his pay plus apparently we'll have both franchise and transaction player designations

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Hopefully the run game during the regular season is as good as what it *looks* like it has the potential to be because if it is, then the playaction pass is going to go a long way to help mask the O-line's pass protection issues, especially on downs where it is higher % run.

ONLY if they scheme the run game and pass game to relate to each other.  For the longest time, the run scheme has not helped the pass scheme so play action has not been effective.  

Our #1 run play the last 4 years has been a “pound-draw.”  Which doesn’t even remotely help get LBs committed to stopping the run game, so play action is basically pointless.  They just stand around and wait for the play to come to them.

Flowers has two things going against him. 1. Everyone thinks he is awful, so even if he gets a string of good games together he will be much of the focus on the OL. 2. When he gets beat, he gets beat bad and it's very noticeable. 

There's no doubt in my mind that the Redskins should be looking towards OL in the 1st round next year. I'm really hoping one of our WR's step up because next years WR class is crazy good and it will probably be incredibly tempting to take one. 

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

ONLY if they scheme the run game and pass game to relate to each other.  For the longest time, the run scheme has not helped the pass scheme so play action has not been effective.  

Our #1 run play the last 4 years has been a “pound-draw.”  Which doesn’t even remotely help get LBs committed to stopping the run game, so play action is basically pointless.  They just stand around and wait for the play to come to them.

I think (hope?) you will see a lot more under centre handoffs with waggles and boots built off that to give time for deep crossers and shot plays. I can dream ...

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I think (hope?) you will see a lot more under centre handoffs with waggles and boots built off that to give time for deep crossers and shot plays. I can dream ...

The Shanahan’s ability to marry that zone-stretch run play with play action in 50 different ways was magical. 

Also what Colts did with Manning in 1998-2005 or so. 

I want to see something where the run and pass games compliment each other...

11 hours ago, Chachie said:

Flowers gets the holding call after letting the defender get by him and tackling the rusher. Next thing we see is Erek arguing with Gruden on the sideline. Really looking fwd to the season with this guy. 😐

Everything I've seen from EF is negative.  The easier part of your job as a Guard is run blocking and nobody is going to give you a contract to only play during runs.  He looks awkward, gets burnt more than my anybody, as well as not having focus to avoid costly penalties when it is vital.  If EF is the best they have then who's fault is that!?  Everybody knew there was LG issues for the last number of years.  This wasn't something sudden that happened.  They chose not to properly fill the spot. The GM is the worst and I just don't know what he's got on Snyder that keeps him in that position.  His family must know where the bodies are buried.

15 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Also Gruden has to break up the predictable stuff.  We've heard the last couple of seasons that 90% of the time specific TE's come into the games for runs versus passes.  That is not going to the O-line any favors.  

They actually threw to sprinkle out of a run set with some success against Atlanta at one point. Gives me the feeling they will try to play off last years predictability based on which tight end was in the game and catch a defense slipping. 

It was nice to see Sprinkle getting a grab, this after last year no catches in 300 snaps or whatever it was before he finally got a 1.  If Jay is not going to throw to him again this year, Jay is part of the problem with telegraphing run pass too often.

Why do we need to draft another OL in the first round... have we designated Geron a career backup?  And I thought I was the only one bearish on Geron.  I would say yes target OL early if Scherff bolts, or Geron fails to develop this year.

I think its a bit early to say what we need a year from now. "We have to take an OL in the first" seems a knee jerk reaction to Trent leaving, ignoring we already spent a 3rd to replace him.

18 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And I've got a weird feeling about Scherff's extension. 

JP Finlay said the other day he doesn't have a good feeling that they get it done with Scherff and has doubts they'd franchise him.   

Sharp has a point, the Eagles D line will probably stunt the heck out of this O line.

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Why do we need to draft another OL in the first round... have we designated Geron a career backup?  And I thought I was the only one bearish on Geron.  I would say yes target OL early if Scherff bolts, or Geron fails to develop this year.

I think its a bit early to say what we need a year from now. "We have to take an OL in the first" seems a knee jerk reaction to Trent leaving, ignoring we already spent a 3rd to replace him.

Yeah, ‘have to’ might be a bit strong of a statement.  

With that said, we have an unknown in Christian, no swing tackle, and a RT that could stand to be upgraded (penalties, injuries, price tag, etc).  So drafting a 1st rounder gives you 3 options, let’s you play the best man at the two spots and ups your depth.  

Also have to factor in our reliance on running the ball and having a young qb under center (presumably).  

But yes, WR, TE, corner, ILB, FS and interior oline could, IMO, be in consideration in the 1st.  

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

But yes, WR, TE, corner, ILB, FS and interior oline could, IMO, be in consideration in the 1st.  

Yep one of my thoughts is that it may become painfully clear over the course of the season, that we need a top tier WR come next draft.  I want to wait to say what we need - lets at least wait for week 1!  Say a top QB of the draft falls in our laps (again), and that Dwayne had mighty struggles, oh and we have  a new coach. Take a QB in that case. The Arizona Model.

If Geron can take over that LT spot and look strong to end the year, we ink Scherff, I am inclined to get a Ty type tackle from FA and bolster Dwayne's weapons, instead.  If Geron and Martin pan out that goes a long ways to pushing OL down the needs list.

Maybe Bruce can trade Trent for a first and we can get both a skill position and upgrade for our OL.

How does the draft look next year for o linemen?

What ever we get for trent use it on linemen..use the other picks on skilled players..or a bad ass lb..

The ugly blue star team has done an amazing job building the team they have now..the o line they built and there linebackers just back my prediction of a cowpukes/saints Patriots superbowl..I actually called saints Patriots superbowl for this year last year..if that makes sense lol.. but ya hahaha 

Archived