Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The reason the Patriots, Packers, Ravens, etc. all ammassed comp picks over the years is because they built through the draft and refrained from bringing in too many major outside contracts.

In recent years not so much. The Packers and Ravens have been big spenders. The Patriots spent on Gilmore. That’s just the way the league works now: big spending>comp picks (unless you make a truly dumb signing like with Landon).

1 minute ago, JoggingGod said:

In recent years not so much. The Packers and Ravens have been big spenders. The Patriots spent on Gilmore. That’s just the way the league works now: big spending>comp picks (unless you make a truly dumb signing like with Landon).

Well, I think the Packers did so in part because they needed to placate Rodgers. And it worked for them bringing in the two Smiths ... and I certainly think it has it's place but can be done strategically. Not that there are any teams that are black and white on the issue. But I think generally those teams still prefer to keep their own, and maximize on the players that leave with picks. Once you start that cycle, it's easy to stay in it. The more guys you draft, the more you can churn out, the more picks you can get back.

And in a year when you don't have any major FA leaving (like the Skins this year) you can afford to go out and sign a bunch of guys. But if you know in 2022 you are going to be losing a lot of talented players, you may earmark that as a year you aren't all that aggressive in FA.

27 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I would too. And while I forgot releasing him would not result in a comp I am aware there is no guarantee. I said likely, not sure. 

While many seem to always seem to get stuck on a minor part of the comment - in this case the potential comp pick, the main point I was making is that it needs to be dealt with one way or the other this off-season. No making him sit out and then maybe come back in week 10 or some other crap. That was the main point not that we may or may not get a comp pick. 

My post wasn't direct at you or anyone in particular.   

I agree, I want to move on from him sooner rather than later.  Turn the page.

I'm guessing this lights a fire for Trent to get something done and quickly.

New CBA Holdouts Rule

• Increased fines for holdouts and players who leave training camp without permission.
  • Players under contract who fail to report to camp on time or leaves the team for more than five days without permission will no longer be eligible to earn an accrued season for that year.

No discounts in regards to what they want in return. You don't reward him by helping a deal happen for a lesser pick and/or player.

He and his Agent need to own this better than he did his health. That means showing up for meetings or calls (unlike his doctors' appointment).

18 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

This is really good news. It means that Ron and team have made a decision on direction and have communicated that to Trent and his agent. Trent gets to see what he is actually worth - likely less than his agent has told him. He either comes back humbled or gets a trade all can live with. I like the decisiveness of the FO. 

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm guessing this lights a fire for Trent to get something done and quickly.

New CBA Holdouts Rule

• Increased fines for holdouts and players who leave training camp without permission.
  • Players under contract who fail to report to camp on time or leaves the team for more than five days without permission will no longer be eligible to earn an accrued season for that year.

That's part of the new CBA right? Makes sense. Should make it more painful to hold out. Still let's players do what they want but ups the ante. 

Yeah its definitely time for a fresh start, hopefully we can get something done before free agency so we can try to address it before the draft.

Not sure why they didn't give him permission to seek a trade a year ago seeing as how they had nothing to lose by letting trent figure out what he's worth.

Just now, skinsfanarcticstyle said:

This will be very interesting  to see how the new regime handles this transaction.  What do most here feel he's worth now?

Probably gotta work to get a 2nd, plus extra if teams lose out in FA or towards the top half of the draft.

1 minute ago, skinsfanarcticstyle said:

This will be very interesting  to see how the new regime handles this transaction.  What do most here feel he's worth now?

Early second or mid to late second and some change, he hasn't played in almost two years and is 31 years old, just too much of a risk for much more.

Just now, skinsfanarcticstyle said:

I would think a 2nd and something else based on how high the 2nd is would be there target. A high 2nd and a 6th or 5th would do it. A low 2nd and may need a 4th to go along with it. 

The bigger question is will trent find someone to pay him. We will find out how bad he wants out of DC if he takes a small contract just to get out. 

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Yeah its definitely time for a fresh start, hopefully we can get something done before free agency so we can try to address it before the draft.

Not sure why they didn't give him permission to seek a trade a year ago seeing as how they had nothing to lose by letting trent figure out what he's worth.

It's the difference in a professional FO and a totally inept one. A good FO would have handled this last year not let it sit. But bruce is an idiot. 

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Early second or mid to late second and some change, he hasn't played in almost two years and is 31 years old, just too much of a risk for much more.

He's posting videos of how awesome in shape he is. 

If he believes he should get paid top LT $$$, then to expect them to give him up for less than top LT value in a trade doesn't add up. Especially with the CBA changes if accepted. He needs to bet on himself and make some of his money incentive-based to get another team to give up a little more to Washington. 

7 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

He's posting videos of how awesome in shape he is. 

If he believes he should get paid top LT $$$, then to expect them to give him up for less than top LT value in a trade doesn't add up. Especially with the CBA changes if accepted. He needs to bet on himself and make some of his money incentive-based to get another team to give up a little more to Washington. 

I think you hit the nail on the head....he's always in shape, he is still elite and we shouldn't let him go for peanuts.

I think we get a first round pick for him or he can sit until the trade deadline.  No chance we let him walk for no less than a first.  Trent could play at a high level for another 5 years.

2 minutes ago, daveakl said:

If we get more then a 4th I will be shocked.

If that's the best offer,  you don't trade him and let him sit out again or honor his contract. It's a horrible message you're setting to other front offices and players otherwise.

1 minute ago, Poindexter said:

I think you hit the nail on the head....he's always in shape, he is still elite and we shouldn't let him go for peanuts.

I think we get a first round pick for him or he can sit until the trade deadline.  No chance we let him walk for no less than a first.  Trent could play at a high level for another 5 years.

When healthy and motivated. He's Elite. Those two things aren't constants. 

Archived