Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Looks like the Bengals are either going to trade or release Cordy Glenn, who played LT for them last season. I'd ship a 6th or 7th for him. He has one year left on his deal and can play both tackle and guard very well. In fact, he scored a 68 on PFF last season at the LT position. If Trent comes back, you make Cordy the RT (release Moses) or the Flowers replacement. If Trent is gone, you have your LT at a reasonable price. Only issue is his contract is up after this year so you will need to ink a reasonable extension with him

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have no idea why you would expect Trent, or any other athlete, to be reasonable,  This is his last chance at a big deal, as we are seeing he will do what he can to get that here or somewhere else.  Trade his ass, if it's a 2nd that would be fine with me 

Reasonable means you still get a last bigger deal, not something astronomical, but it still satisfies both parties. Not asking to be paid like a QB. But you are right not sure why I expected him to. We still hold the cards though, but alas we are all tired of his BS. So rip the bandaid off I guess.

In his first months on the job, Redskins coach Ron Rivera has taken steps to repair the team’s relationship with Trent Williams. The two have had conversations, which included a face-to-face meeting. Last week at the NFL scouting combine, Rivera even acknowledged the team’s need to “redevelop the trust in the training room” — an obvious nod to Williams’ dispute with the medical staff.

Rivera said he was in a “good place” with Williams.

“Had a good conversation and we’re going to go from there,” Rivera said.

But for all the dialogue, a massive hurdle remains: Williams wants a new contract. And if he does not receive an extension, then Williams would like to be traded, according to multiple reports.

Entering the final year of his deal, the 31-year-old reportedly is seeking to become one of the league’s highest-paid tackles. Williams is set to make $12.5 million in 2020, but that does not have any guaranteed money left on his contract. And at that figure, Williams’ salary ranks sixth among tackles in 2020.

Remember, Williams’ desire for a new deal was a large reason the seven-time Pro Bowler held out last year until the trade deadline, even as he feuded with the Redskins over the handling of a cancerous tumor on his scalp.  Williams said as much back in October.

“Obviously playing with no guaranteed money, I don’t think any premier player (would) want to do that, especially not in the game we play today,” Williams said, later adding, “I’ve represented this franchise in the Pro Bowl the last seven years. To me, I would think that would be good for something.”

If Williams is firm in his demand, then it will become costly for the Redskins to extend him. The tackle market has skyrocketed since Washington gave Williams a new contract in 2015 that made him the highest-paid at the position with a five-year, $66 million deal. Over the past year, Philadelphia’s Lane Johnson and Oakland’s Trent Brown signed four-year, $72 million and four-year, $66 million contracts, respectively.

Those numbers could continue to climb, too. Beyond Williams, Houston’s Laremy Tunsil and Tennessee’s Jack Conklin are in line for huge paydays. Tunsil is discussing an extension with the Texans, while Conklin is expected to command top money once he reaches free agency this month.

It might cost the Redskins anywhere between $18 million to $20 million per year to extend Williams, salary cap guru J.I. Halsell said.  “The sense of urgency is not exactly contract related as much as it is, them reporting to the offseason program with as little distraction as possible,” Halsell said. “And if Trent is still part of the organization, particularly under his current deal, then there’s going to be a distraction. So my sense is either you try and get a deal done with him ahead of April or you try and move on from him ahead of April.”

So far, Washington has apparently balked at Williams’ request. The NFL Network reported the Redskins have pushed negotiations with Williams “to the back burner,” while the team sorts out the rest of its offseason plans. The Redskins met with draft prospects like Chase Young and Tua Tagovailoa last week and have their own free agents like Brandon Scherff to address.

Washington will also have to weigh the risks in extending Williams, given he has not played a full 16 games since 2013. Williams also missed all of last year as the Redskins put him on the season-ending, nonfootball injury list shortly after the tackle reported to work. Williams also had knee surgery in 2017 and thumb surgery in 2018.

If he doesn’t get his way, Williams could try and force Washington’s hand with another lengthy holdout, Halsell said. Williams only reported in October last year so he could get credit for a season played. In theory, the former first-rounder could do the same again, if he’s willing to sacrifice more money. The Redskins fined Williams for his holdout last year.

Should the Redskins trade away Williams, replacing him won’t be easy. Backup Geron Christian rarely saw the field last year over starter Donald Penn, despite the Redskins’ turn toward their younger players as the year went on. Penn, who turns 37 next month, is a free agent.

The Redskins could always draft a tackle, but this year’s class is talent heavy at the top. That’s not ideal for a team that lacks a second-round pick.

Last week, Rivera said the Redskins and Williams were still “working through details” about a return.

“We’ll see how things unfold,” Rivera said, “but again it’s just a fluid situation.”

I would not extend him.  NFW.

If we cannot trade him, let him play out the season for $12.5M, whether he actually plays or not.  If nothing else, we eventually get a late 3rd for him.  We're probably going to end up with a top 10 pick next year, unless a miracle happens, so we can draft his replacement then.

I wouldn't even go crazy in FA this year, unless it is a slam dunk and at least a 3-4 year deal.   Lets build smartly and roll the cap into next season.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:51 PM, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

If the reports Are true that TW wants 18-20 mill or more, it’s a disappointment. 

I felt this way too initially but after weighing it for a few days, I'm starting to reassess my previous position.

Taking into account the expected salary cap rise, I don't think Trent is completely crazy for asking.

@BRAVEONAWARPATH definitely, I mean the worst that can happen is they tell you no. But that’s where “reasonable” comes into play. In a perfect world, w/ 0 health issues 0 off field stuff and he has one foot in the HOF sure, but that’s not reality. He knows that. And I still hold out hope that when we are ready to sit down with him and make him a solid and fair 2-3 year offer, he’ll listen. I hope that happens. And if not I’ll be ready to move on.

If its likely we get a 3rd comp pick next year and he'd likely play like a god this year to prove hes worth the contract. Should we let him play and walk next year...let him play and see what happens with a tag in our back pocket next year, knowing we will get a 3rd if nothing else comes of it? Is one last good season and a 3rd next year worth a 2nd at best this year?

23 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

If its likely we get a 3rd comp pick next year and he'd likely play like a god this year to prove hes worth the contract. Should we let him play and walk next year...let him play and see what happens with a tag in our back pocket next year, knowing we will get a 3rd if nothing else comes of it? Is one last good season and a 3rd next year worth a 2nd at best this year?

At this point it’s the principal. He played the victim card and seemed to have convinced quite a few people that his holdout was not only in response to his “misdiagnosis” but was also to protect teammates. He absolutely screwed over the team and it was all based on money. If he’s on the team this year he’s getting the haynesworth treatment from me.

sorry for the rant. Why wait another year, especially a likely drama and injury-filled year, to only get essentially a 4th rd pick when u can get a 2nd now? And then the idea of tagging him after, oof that would start wwIII. He’s setting a poor precedent to his teammates, especially if the team caves and pays. He knew we needed him bad last year yet chose to flip us the bird. I’m glad he’s getting screwed as bad as he screwed us. Sorry for mini rant. 

2 minutes ago, CTskin said:

At this point it’s the principal. He played the victim card and seemed to have convinced quite a few people that his holdout was not only in response to his “misdiagnosis” but was also to protect teammates. He absolutely screwed over the team and it was all based on money. If he’s on the team this year he’s getting the haynesworth treatment from me.

sorry for the rant. Why wait another year, especially a likely drama and injury-filled year, to only get essentially a 4th rd pick when u can get a 2nd now? And then the idea of tagging him after, oof that would start wwIII. He’s setting a poor precedent to his teammates, especially if the team caves and pays. He knew we needed him bad last year yet chose to flip us the bird. I’m glad he’s getting screwed as bad as he screwed us. Sorry for mini rant. 

I dont know that there would be "drama"...Maybe with us creating 100 pages on a sentence a sports reporter tweeted that he heard from a "source". Trent though would probably stay quiet and ball out looking to get that last contract.  

7 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

I dont know that there would be "drama"...Maybe with us creating 100 pages on a sentence a sports reporter tweeted that he heard from a "source". Trent though would probably stay quiet and ball out looking to get that last contract.  

I understand that view, I just think there’s a slim chance. If he knew what was good for him, he’d do as u say.

but look at what he did last year. If he indeed did had family money issues then he should have sacked up, admitted his health complaint was a lie, and got back on the field. I’ll admit, I was getting ready to forgive him and understood his beef may have been with BA, but now we hear what his salary demands are. I mean come on, the guy is a selfish prick, he’s clearly still in a ****ty mindset and don’t see any way he’s be content to play on his current salary.

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

I understand that view, I just think there’s a slim chance. If he knew what was good for him, he’d do as u say.

but look at what he did last year. If he indeed did had family money issues then he should have sacked up, admitted his health complaint was a lie, and got back on the field. I’ll admit, I was getting ready to forgive him and understood his beef may have been with BA, but now we hear what his salary demands are. I mean come on, the guy is a selfish prick, he’s clearly still in a ****ty mindset and don’t see any way he’s be content to play on his current salary.

We don't know the guy and we don't know what his demands are. We may have heard what his agents first offer was, we may not have.

Redskins have the ball, the lead and a few play options regardless of what BA could've done last year

1 hour ago, rumplestilskin said:

Well it's being reported that Riverboat really misses that second rounder. Thanks for your time Silverback. Trade him and let everyone move on.

Where's it being reported?  Got a link?

On 3/2/2020 at 10:33 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

I think the reports of him being in financial trouble are looking more and more likely to be true. Seems like he’s in significant debt. Maybe the business he owns with his best bud Peterson is a huge money sink?

I have been told that this is a real thing. Very Real thing

53 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The biggest issue is getting someone to meet his absurd contract demands.

Hopefully, the Redskins are allowing his agent to try and find a deal with another team that meets his demands and who is willing to give up at least a 2nd for him.

Archived