Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

17 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

In other words he wants something in $18-20 mil with $55 mil signing bonus which is whats being speculated and ridiculous.  

Could the guy even put a helmet on and pass a physical?

If he's looking to get paid according to "talent" rather than position, it would be more in the realm of $35mm per year.  Seeking Russell Wilson and soon-to-be Dak Prescott money.

Ron gave it a shot, I think any good coach coming into this situation would have done the same, it would have been nice to forget about that roster spot and defer it for a year or two but now it looks like we need a starting LT.

I hate getting this position in free agency, free agent lineman rarely maintain their previous level of play when switching teams.

The good tackles in free agency are old or not worth overpaying for.  This creates an issue.

Just listened to Finlay in 106.7.  He said he's heard some gossip in Indy but it isn't a report.   He said he's heard from a few people that the trade market for Trent wouldn't be robust right now because of Trent's agent asking for 20-21 million a year as part of an extension and that would scare teams off. 

His opinion is at some point, Trent's agent will start talking to other teams and they figure something out salary wise and the compensation would be a 2nd round pick.  The salary cap is likely to rise and what Trent is asking for might be met by another team or close enough.

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His opinion is at some point, Trent's agent will start talking to other teams and they figure something out salary wise and the compensation would be a 2nd round pick.  The salary cap is likely to rise and what Trent is asking for might be met by another team or close enough.

I would consider that a win at this stage.

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I would consider that a win at this stage.

Yeah me too.  I like Trent.  And heck if he wasn't injury prone I'd consider making him the highest paid LT in the league.  But at 32?  And a dude who hasn't played a full season since 2013?

I'd hate opening a hole at that spot but if they could figure out a plan B, heck even if its Penn, I'd trade him for a 2nd if the 20 million a year demand is serious.

I suspect based on what Finlay said that if the Redskins agree to a trade they'd let Trent's agent negotiate with other teams and that would include an extension and if they discover they can't get 20 million a year they'd ultimately relent to whatever best figure they can get. 

Also as we said during the season the time to trade Trent was during that season not this off season.  This off season, Trent is a year older, salaries are escalating because of FA, and the draft is loaded with LTs.   Of all the mishaps from Bruce, the Trent drill IMO was his master stroke of incompetence.   Bruce kept telling to the people he was friendly with (like Standig) that the optimum time to trade Trent was this off season not last season.  It seemed stupid then.  It's looking even more stupid now.  

I like Trent too, and to be fair he can ask for whatever he wants at this stage. No doubt the previous regime didn’t help, but I just feel like it’s time to start over with, well, I guess a fresh culture.

Clear the decks of anyone who clearly isn’t that committed here. 

I would also add that any team paying Trent that money is crazy. Through no fault of his own recently with illness, but man it’s a risk in my book. 

59 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

Sorry if what I’m asking is dumb but, with one year left on his contract and two tag options....don’t you have him by the balls at top 5 average till he’s 35?

or any other team in a trade for that matter

Sure we'll make him play like he did last year again...

1 hour ago, Gibbit said:

Sorry if what I’m asking is dumb but, with one year left on his contract and two tag options....don’t you have him by the balls at top 5 average till he’s 35?

or any other team in a trade for that matter

Trade him and let someone else tag him. The drama around this clown is starting again and the new regime needs to avoid drama. 

11 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

Sure we'll make him play like he did last year again...

the point is if he doesn't play he doesn't get paid again, and again and again....man is getting some grey in his beard

2 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Trade him and let someone else tag him. The drama around this clown is starting again and the new regime needs to avoid drama. 

yeah its sad...thought this dude would be all in one last time with a little contract work

3 hours ago, sempre_victrix said:

The sad part about this is that he tarred so many people in an effort to get a new contract.  Yes, Bruce is gone. Most likely, in part, because of his mishandling of TWs trade demands. But that does no excuse what he did to other innocent people.

He needs to go. Take a 2 and peace out.  

No...I agree with you but hold out for a 1st and see if someone pays it. Ask for the 1st, settle for the 2nd, if that doesn't get it done then let him sit. 

I hate the comparison I'm about to make, but this is beginning to resemble what Shanahan inherited with Haynesworth. Before people waste the key strokes to yell at me, I realize their character isn't the same and even their resumes aren't the same. Trent is a much better person, teammate, and player. 

But....

Shanahan inherited another regime's mess when he took over and he decided (correctly) to draw a distinct line with Haynesworth. Rivera is in a similar situation. Whatever led to Trent Williams now demanding more money than he's worth at his age and with his injury history, I don't know. But that's all that's relevant to Rivera...and I hope he takes a similar hard line. 

I’m firmly in the trade Trent camp. I’d love to get a couple of mid round picks back, say a 2+3 or 2+4

in different circumstances I could sympathise a little more. I mean, his 12.5mil salary is on the low side. I said 6 months ago I would offer him 3mil extra per year, I think something like a 3 year 45mil deal is fair/balanced. I’d roll that dice. 

but 20mil per year. Trade.

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m firmly in the trade Trent camp. I’d love to get a couple of mid round picks back, say a 2+3 or 2+4

in different circumstances I could sympathise a little more. I mean, his 12.5mil salary is on the low side. I said 6 months ago I would offer him 3mil extra per year, I think something like a 3 year 45mil deal is fair/balanced. I’d roll that dice. 

but 20mil per year. Trade.

I think it's a ploy to be traded and leave the Skins.  If he truly believes he's worth that much at his age and with the injuries he's sustained over the last 6 years and games missed during that time, then he's not too bright.  There are better and younger LOT in the league and he wants more than them.   Come on, TW.    

What an idiot. Now he wants top of the market value ?

For an oft injured and penalized player of late he is (pipe) dreaming. With his new salary demands isnt he making himself a pariah to GMs around the league and wrecking the potential for the skins to recoup a decent pick for him.

Let him play out the contract at this point and walk in FA next year. The comp pick is probably a 3 or 4 so at least we get something unless we get a better offer this year.

Reports are that he is in a difficult financial position and needs to get paid. How is this even possible hasn't he been paid 90 + mil over his career. That tells me all I need to know about the man. A fool and his money.

10 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I hate the comparison I'm about to make, but this is beginning to resemble what Shanahan inherited with Haynesworth. Before people waste the key strokes to yell at me, I realize their character isn't the same and even their resumes aren't the same. Trent is a much better person, teammate, and player. 

But....

Shanahan inherited another regime's mess when he took over and he decided (correctly) to draw a distinct line with Haynesworth. Rivera is in a similar situation. Whatever led to Trent Williams now demanding more money than he's worth at his age and with his injury history, I don't know. But that's all that's relevant to Rivera...and I hope he takes a similar hard line. 

I think this is the most accurate example, and you're 1000% right.

It's obvious Trent is not down with the new program, he probably wants to do things his own way, he isn't going to want to bust his ass under a new regime like this one. I think he was really comfortable with club Jay and isn't inclined to work with a strict team oriented approach instead of being coddled.

Bruce was right to stick to his guns in this instance. He's a giant douchebag, but so is Trent it appears. Hopefully teams will be willing to give up some picks for him.

I fear they'll low-ball or offer next year's picks tho. They know we're losing leverage by the day with only one year left on his deal.

Archived