Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Interesting nugget:

Williams is in an interesting situation too. From what I know, he not only wants to play football but he HAS to play football again. He has a family situation that is private which I've heard about, which combined with losing $14+ million last year, puts him in a bind. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Williams is in an interesting situation too. From what I know, he not only wants to play football but he HAS to play football again. He has a family situation that is private which I've heard about, which combined with losing $14+ million last year, puts him in a bind. 

Jeez. I just ... I just don't get it. The dude has earned what ... $8-90 million so far in his career? How is this even possible. Even if you have family issues, how could it possibly cost millions. I thought they said he was positioned to be one of the few players who could actually hold out because of his career earnings. guess not?

3 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Has Williams 14m cap from last year been added to our 2020 cap figure?. 

HTTR 

His cap number for 2020 is based on whatever his current contract is, because his contract status has not changed.  He is under contract for 2020.  So whatever the terms are, that's what's currently in the cap projections.

@bowhunter, I think it's more forgiving the hundreds of thousands of dollars of fines he racked up under Bruce for not showing up. He was really hit with a double whammy: 1. Not earning his salary, and 2. the team fined him a whole bunch. 

I don't think there's any way for him to recover the salary from last year, at least not from weeks 1-whenever he reported.  After he reported, maybe, but doubtful.

As far as timing, there's actually no real urgency to do anything until the draft.  He is under contract and his cap hit isn't that terrible that it will limit the 'Skins in free agency.  I agree it would be nice to get it done now, but probably the more pressing things to get done are preparations for FA and the draft, negotiating (or deciding to tag) Scherff, and figuring out what to do with Kerrigan, which you would like to do before FA to lower his cap number.

Also, given the combine is this week, which is basically NFLCON, all of the players, (FO, agents, and other team's FOs) will be in one place.  So they can work out a deal, work out a trade, whatever they want to do, they can do over a wonderful steak dinner at Elmo's steak house.  

The fact this hasn't been resolved doesn't bother me one way or another.  

I stand corrected. Trent Williams has been paid out $122 million in CASH (obviously before taxes) in his career. I forgot he was part of the old Rookie Salary system that got to enjoy a massive first contract.

As for the cap ... it looks like Overthecap counted him for $11.1 million on last year's cap, and since they didn't pay him any of that out, I would think that would be money that could have rolled into our 2020 cap. But I can't tell anywhere if that was factored into our 2020 cap already. Need to do some more digging @markmills67

*EDIT: According to Spotract, the Trent Williams only accounted for just over $3m last year (his guaranteed money) ... which led to an end-of-season cap of $13m that rolled over into 2020. So it looks like had Trent played all year, and earned that $11m additional game-check money, we only would have rolled over $2m to 2020 and our current cap space would be $50m.

We are currently at a $199 million league-wide cap number with $12.9 million rolled over from 2019 for a $211.9 million overall cap number in 2020.

We have committed to $154.175 million in committed cap in 2020, but $149.9 million counts for the Top 51 contracts.

That leaves us with $62.053 million in cap space as of right now.

I think I am back on the trade Trent bandwagon. Maybe we are biding our tie, no rush, etc. But if you can get an offer from the likes of New England for pick #23 I probably take it. I take the cap savings from Trent and re-allocate it across the line. I bring back Scherff, Flowers ... and maybe even consider cutting Moses and going after Conklin. Build the OL as much as you can with a rookie LT in there.

19 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Interesting nugget:

Ya know I had heard there was a story about Tren's money problems but when I Googled it I found nothing.   

36 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Yeah, I dont think they have rolled Trent's unused cap from last year into this years yet.  I also dont think they have used up the $12 million cap insurance policy they had on Alex Smith, so it likely will be over $80 million.

They already rolled it into 2020. The Skins had $2m in cap space in 2019 to $12.9 million because Trent only got $3m bonus money last year. So that $12.9 rolled over to 2020 already. I outlined the other day. 

I'm still in the "trade him" group. If Rivera is going to keep some older veterans around for this roster and culture rebuild, you want the Kerrigan types who are "here" and not the Williams types who haven't been for years now AND have baggage. It's still BS that he gets credit for last season because he showed up that one day

No clue his value vs what you could really get. There should be teams looking to make a final run at a title like New Orleans and New England where Williams would be an upgrade over their current LT and it's worth a higher pick to protect Brady (if he's there) or Brees.

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

No way I'm paying Williams as the highest LT in the game, the more time that goes on the more I want to move on from Williams, get a 2nd round pick and move on. 

HTTR 

I was beating the drum to get this guy back but his main thrust seems to be how much money he can extract from the Redskins or another team in the twilight of his career.  If some of the stuff recently reported in this thread is true, he has mismanaged his money somewhat.

Obviously I don't know for sure but I don't want the team hamstrung by Williams financial demands, or any player for that matter. If it is a reasonable deal, then you pay him but if not, you have to walk away.

I am just curious to see what we do in FA.  

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

No way I'm paying Williams as the highest LT in the game, the more time that goes on the more I want to move on from Williams, get a 2nd round pick and move on. 

HTTR 

Skins should get more than a 2nd round pick for him.  A 2nd and 3rd/high 4th would work.   Keep and eye on Cleveland. 

Archived