Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If Chase stays and we do in fact end up with #2.... we better get more than the RG3 trade. That move was only like 2 spots for that haul the Rams got. I'd expect more than that from someone out of the top 5 already.

Skins went from #6 to #2 and traded a 2nd, 2013 1st, and 2014 1st (which ended up being #2 overall)

Last week I was having flashbacks to the game late in 2011 against the NYG. The Redskins were 4-9 heading into a meaningless Week 15 game against the 7-6 Giants.

The Redskins went on to win that game handily to move to 5-9 before losing the final two games to go to 5-11.

That loss, if I remember correctly, dropped the Redskins from the potential #4 pick to the #6 pick.

Now, not that huge of a deal most years, but that could have been the difference of a 3rd 1st round pick inclusion.

-------

IMO you draft Chase Young. Reading the tea-leaves, a lot of folks believe quite strongly that the defensive scheme is the primary reason for the underperformance on defense.

Get a competent DC in here. Add Chase Young. Switch to a 4-3.

In a basic 4-3 you have Sweat, Payne, Allen, Young and rotate in Ionnidis on run downs and Kerrigan on passing downs.

I think you can figure out your OLBs pretty quick. A combination of guys you already have (Foster, Holcomb, SDH) ... probably a free agent acquisition and another mid-round LBer.

The packages that could be created with 2 young high-caliber pass rushers, a 3rd high-caliber pass rush veteran, and 3 pro-bowl caliber interior DL would be really fun to watch.

You could see this defense to a complete 180 on a change at DC alone ... add in Chase Young and a likely CB1 in Free Agency that you throw money at, and this defense could be Top 3 or Top5 pretty quickly.

As for the TE discussion --- I think you have to get one in free agency. Young TEs take time to groom. Fant and Hockenson flashed this year but weren't dominant. George Kittle was okay as a rookie but outside of Sf nobody had heard of him. Hooper just started to really emerge last year as a legit talent and really blew up this year.

You can absolutely draft a TE in the 3rd or 4th round (Kittle, Hooper, Henry) and expect them to be legit contirbutors but usually not until Year 2 or 3.

We can do both. Grab an elite TE in free agency (Hooper or Henry if I could pick) and supplement that with a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

Also, this is not draft related directly ... but reading through twitter this morning there were some legitimate discussions about how much players hate Bruce Allen. Mostly rumblings and "I have heard" things ...

FYI ... I have young kids and live pretty low key but living in Ashburn and being in and around establishments players find themselves in and knowing / being around people who find themselves around those players ... the players talk ... and a lot of these things are certainly believable ...

Someone on twitter was saying that If Bruce is back, Scherff wants no part of signing and extension. Obviously Trent is gone/wants out too.

But apparently, Bruce is the root. If Bruce is gone, both players would be open to staying ... this is very believable to me.

Bruce leaving, coupled with Trent/Scherff extensions really only gives you a gaping hole at TE on offense. The emergence of the young WRs has been so refreshing. I think you could add a Jeudy, but I don't think you have to. But getting Trent and Scherff back really shores up the OL. It allows you to go BPA throughout the draft. And even with said extensions ... just moving on from Norman and Reed and possibly Richardson creates so much cap space that you can easily sign a Hooper and Byron Jones in free agency and still have tens of millions in cap space for 2020.  And if you add Trent and Scherff back to the OL long-term and bring in Hooper and Jones to supplement the TE and CB issues ... the draft really opens up and you have fewer holes. Yes, it would be nice to have that 2nd rounder ... but passing on Chase Young to accumulate picks becomes less appealing to me with fewer holes. Yeah, it would be nice to add multiple Top 50 picks in the draft ... but I also think getting Young would be a haul in and of itself.

Only thing I would think COULD be worth moving off #2 is if Miami were to offer #5, #22 and their early 2nd rounder. In that case, you could get an elite player (Jeudy) and add two other Top 35 picks to address Edge if you wanted to get some younger talent at pass-rusher. But I still think I'd take Young.

I am slightly suspicious of players that rise quiickly up the draft board due to strong seasons. Yes, this is something that happens every year and a lot is dependent on opportunities. But there are 3 players in this draft that were and have been massively elite prospects for years. Tua, Chase Young and Jerry Jeudy. If you don't take Young at #2 and choose to trade out, I would want to stay within range to get Jeudy. If you trade to #5 you could still get him, if the Giants were to pass on WR at #4.

Like I do every year I will be breaking down my favorites in College football from every position during the next few months. I chose to start with the TE position this year as I see it as a major need for us. Unfortunately It appears to be a VERY weak class at TE. Here are my top ten TE's. I did a lot of Tackle tape at the same time as TE's. I should have them done sometime next week.

1) Jake Breeland, Oregon. 

Round 2

Great hands. Decent blocker. Has clean routes and gets decent separation. Questionable injury history. Vicious stiff arm. Above average athlete. Room to grow still raw. 

2) Albert Okweugbunam, Missouri

Round 2.

Dominate athlete. Struggles with inline blocking. YAC and deep threat. Stiff hips on change of direction occasionally. RAW. 

3) Colby Parkinson, Stanford 

Round 3-4 

Excellent blocker. Shows good route running and separation. RAW will need work at the next level. Big boom or bust guy. HUGE size and frame. 

4) Jared Pinkney, Vanderbilt

Round 3-4

Down year after a great 2018. But not all his fault. Good route runner. Average blocker. Average athlete. Not a lot of room to grow. 

5) Brycen Hopkins, Perdue

Round 4

Excellent route runner and pass catcher. Below average blocker both inline and in space. Pure receiving threat. Not a ton of room to grow.

6)  Charlie Taumoepaeu, Portland State

Round 5-6

Pure receiving TE but has skills. Decent athlete. Will need tons of work at the next level. But solid upside in the future.

7) Adam Troutman, Dayton

Round 5-6

Great numbers this year 70 Receptions 916 yards. 14 TD's. Great hands. Limited route running and blocking. Big time project with a ton of upside. 

8  Jared Rice, Fresno State

Round 5-6

Great hands. Limited blocker. Shows flashes of being special. Needs a ton of work.

9) Hunter Bryant, Washington

Round 5-6

Undersized pass catching TE only. Worthless while blocking. Shows good routes and hands. Pure receiving threat.

10) Grant Calcutaterra, Oklahoma

Round 6-7

Undersized Pass catching threat with limited blocking ability. Projects better to H back. GREAT HANDS! 

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Parkinson is the only one I'd be half interested in. I'll be pissed if we get another TE that hates blocking.

Funny thing is they spread him a lot and didnt take advantage of his blocking ability. He was one of the best players on their offense so I get it. But he wasnt utilized well in college.

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Parkinson is the only one I'd be half interested in. I'll be pissed if we get another TE that hates blocking.

Me, too.  Heck Jay for his faults telegraphed this as a problem in the off season as for having one dimensional TEs where by virtue of having a catching TE coming onto the field and the blocking TE on other plays its tough not to give away run-pass.  Cooley talked about this some too where he said based on the TE personnel he can tell more than anything whether a run-pass is coming.

Like last off season, I'll eventually sit down and watch the blocking of the bigger named TE prospects.  I haven't had time to do it, yet.   Having Guice-Love-Peterson on this team, we'd be fools not to address TE this off season.  We didn't do squat about it last off season even though Jay highlighted it as a roster weakness. 

I somewhat intrigued by all 10 of the TE's listed.  For example Grant Calcaterra doesn't sound like an every down player, but he sounds like a decent receiving option for some passing situations who would have the athleticism to play special teams.   I don't want to take him in the 4th round, but he might be a good value in the 7th round.  Since we are looking for a everydown starter based off CLSkinsfan description Jake Breeland would be my top choice (if available at an appropriate place in the draft) with Parkinson, Okweugbunam, Pickney, and Hopkins also looking like decent options.  But no matter who you like the key is not to reach for them.

Thanks guys. I really don't have time this year to watch all the college stuff (world cup 2020 Prep) but I love the stuff like the TE list. Gives me an easy way to still gather the Intel. So please more of that less about Young 😘

If Young doesn't come out I'm not that excited. I don't feel this year's draft is very hungry for QBs and trading up. A team like the dolphins can sit pretty and wait a bit. Chargers could make a move but don't think 2nd is necessary for them. For a team like the Steelers the jump is to big to 2nd. I don't see a RGIII type of deal. If we want to trade down I think we need to take a lesser offer. What is totally cool because I don't feel this is a top heavy draft that lines up with our roster. Derrick Brown would get in a already filled line, get a CB at 2..., Jeudy would be my go to then. Could make a sick WR duo with Terry. 

I keep seeing people glossing over the need for an inside backer. I think that ILB is our weakest position group on the entire roster (yes more than TE). Holcomb is all motor and IQ but slow to diagnose and fill and not great in coverage. Bostic and SDH have moments, but neither play downhill. Foster is made of glass and CANNOT be relied on.

How anyone is comfortable going into next season with Holcomb/Bostic/SDH as potential starters if Foster goes down is difficult to fathom.

Holcomb may develop into a decent option, but the need for a game breaker there is imperative while we have the DL on rookie contracts.

Isiah Simmons fits the biggest need and would improve this defense faster than anyone else on the board.

I don’t pass on Chase Young to get him, but if Young isn’t there I’m jumping on Simmons and not looking back.

11 hours ago, philibusters said:

I somewhat intrigued by all 10 of the TE's listed.  For example Grant Calcaterra doesn't sound like an every down player, but he sounds like a decent receiving option for some passing situations who would have the athleticism to play special teams.   I don't want to take him in the 4th round, but he might be a good value in the 7th round.  Since we are looking for a everydown starter based off CLSkinsfan description Jake Breeland would be my top choice (if available at an appropriate place in the draft) with Parkinson, Okweugbunam, Pickney, and Hopkins also looking like decent options.  But no matter who you like the key is not to reach for them.

Calcaterra quit football.  He had too many serious injuries and the doctors basically told him he had to quit or risk being severely debilitated by his 40s and 50s. Sad stuff.  This is a crazy sport that we love.

Breeland is also coming back from a serious knee injury suffered in the middle of the season.  He is my favorite right end too because he's a beast of a run blocker, but it'd need to be in a mid round stash situation like with Bruce Love.

I like Simmons a lot.  But in my humble opinion, Chase Young is a clear peg above him.  I see Simmons more of a hybrid type -- nickel MLB, SS, that's part of the charm.

If they are trading down and we are going with a pure middle LB, Murray IMO is a great bet.   Violent hitter, side to side line speed.  Tone setter.   You should be able to see it on display today. 

Murray reminds me of Foster.  He's a knucklehead and that gets old quick, but he's an impact player.  Bit skinny and tightly wound for the position though, and I think he'll get nicked up a lot given his style of play.

OU's defense isn't good either.  He's good, and Gallimore is pretty good, but they're not.  LSU is about to drop 50 in them.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Murray reminds me of Foster.  He's a knucklehead and that gets old quick, but he's an impact player.  Bit skinny and tightly wound for the position though, and I think he'll get nicked up a lot given his style of play.

He's similar size and look to Foster.  didn't know about the knucklehead part.   Like Foster he's a hard dude to ignore because he's flying all over the field but yeah he can throw his body into tackles which can lend to injuries.  Simmons I notice almost always tackles low. 

LB could be a hole but I’m not so sure. Holcomb has flashed and the beat guys seem to like his potential. A healthy Foster (on 1 more year

of a rookie deal) is a high caliber defense changing talent. Throw in SDH and his performance and you’ve got 3 quality LBs for 2 possible spots. Add a vet in FA and a mid round guy and it’s a solid position. 

of course Simmons could be a game changer. And I’d be cool taking him in the 6-10 range in a trade down scenario. 

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

LB could be a hole but I’m not so sure. Holcomb has flashed and the beat guys seem to like his potential. A healthy Foster (on 1 more year

of a rookie deal) is a high caliber defense changing talent. Throw in SDH and his performance and you’ve got 3 quality LBs for 2 possible spots. Add a vet in FA and a mid round guy and it’s a solid position. 

of course Simmons could be a game changer. And I’d be cool taking him in the 6-10 range in a trade down scenario. 

I haven’t seen any flashes from Holcomb. I’ve seen a consistent tackler that is smart and hustles every play. But I also see a guy who gets to spots but is a step slow. I’m not down on him. I like him quite a bit. If he can be a spell guy he’s a solid option. Even as a spot starter.

But I 100% do not trust Reuben Foster to be healthy. 

People have been dogging on the DL for opposing rush offenses having field days, and the secondary for passing issues. And rightfully so. But the ILBs are slow to fill and poor in coverage. 

SDH and Holcomb are both quality depth/spot starters. But they aren’t two guys you can afford to rely on if you expect to have a good defense.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Isiah Simmons fits the biggest need and would improve this defense faster than anyone else on the board.

I don’t pass on Chase Young to get him, but if Young isn’t there I’m jumping on Simmons and not looking back.

I agree, Simmons would be huge for us, especially if we transition to a 4-3.  But as you guys said, you don't pass on young for him.  I wouldn't even entertain trading back, I'd take young at 2 and be ecstatic that it worked out.

That being said, playing fantasy gm, imagine if we could get young and Simmons out of this draft.  (FWIW - I obviously don't expect this to happen, but a man can dream).  I don't usually like trading picks in the first couple rounds, but id be calling teams to see if Trent / our 3rd / 2021 1st round pick (which is a pretty good lottery ticket for Lawrence) could get us a top 10 pick if Simmons is still on the board.   That's a steep price tag, but it could get us a 2nd game changer on defense.  With that d line, and Simmons playing will lb, that's a pretty exciting young defense.  With the improvement Haskins showed, guices potential, and tmacs performance, we would have a nice young nucleus to be excited about.  In only a few short months, the days of brucifer would seem so long ago, and we'd have hope again.  

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The other question is what does the new defensive coaching staff want to run? If we go to 4-3 than you have MLB filled with Foster and Holcomb. You arent keeping more than 2 guys at that position in a 4-3. SDH and Anderson on the outside.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Calcaterra quit football.  He had too many serious injuries and the doctors basically told him he had to quit or risk being severely debilitated by his 40s and 50s. Sad stuff.  This is a crazy sport that we love.

Breeland is also coming back from a serious knee injury suffered in the middle of the season.  He is my favorite right end too because he's a beast of a run blocker, but it'd need to be in a mid round stash situation like with Bruce Love.

Thanks for the info on Calcaterra. I did not know that. I never look for off field stuff. I just watch tape and give my thoughts from that. I should probably pay more attention to that stuff though.

18 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

@clskinsfan

Did you happen to take a look at Cole Kmet when doing your evaluations? TE out of Notre Dame who might declare for this draft. 

Does anyone know of any draft sites that have charted the nfl success of the top performers in the senior bowl over the years?

I did watch tape on Kmet. But he hasnt declared so I didnt include him in my list. He would have been my number 3 TE in this draft. He has really good route running. has average speed and average blocking ability. Struggles in one on one blocking assignments. Also tends to be a chest catcher and will drop an occasional ball. I would have given him a 2-3 grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqX_raekOrk

Archived