Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

On 12/24/2019 at 3:13 PM, clskinsfan said:

I pick Young.

So from what I am reading you guys think Young is better than 3 top draft choices. Do you think one guy is going to help us that much? Did we learn anything from the RG3 fiasco? Didn't we hear the same hype about Clowney and he is on what, his 3rd team already. One injury and you are screwed and you have more of a chance of hitting a home run with 3 good guys instead of 1. Think I will wait and see how mr Young does this week against Clemson before I put him in the hall. Cheers and happy holidays to all, skinsfan

32 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

So from what I am reading you guys think Young is better than 3 top draft choices. Do you think one guy is going to help us that much? Did we learn anything from the RG3 fiasco? Didn't we hear the same hype about Clowney and he is on what, his 3rd team already. One injury and you are screwed and you have more of a chance of hitting a home run with 3 good guys instead of 1. Think I will wait and see how mr Young does this week against Clemson before I put him in the hall. Cheers and happy holidays to all, skinsfan

Brother. Trading us 2 first and a second means we get ONE extra first and a second for the best pass rusher I have ever seen since Bruce Smith. So yeah. I am laughing at that offer. Now 3 first rounders means we get TWO extra firsts. That MIGHT interest me. But I am still not sure I would make that deal. 

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Brother. Trading us 2 first and a second means we get ONE extra first and a second for the best pass rusher I have ever seen since Bruce Smith. So yeah. I am laughing at that offer. Now 3 first rounders means we get TWO extra firsts. That MIGHT interest me. But I am still not sure I would make that deal. 

OK, lets make it 3 firsts but I do not think teams would be trading that much for Young. I think they would be after a QB. Suppose Young does nothing in the upcoming games? Do you still have to think about picking up 2 extra first round picks? 

15 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

OK, lets make it 3 firsts but I do not think teams would be trading that much for Young. I think they would be after a QB. Suppose Young does nothing in the upcoming games? Do you still have to think about picking up 2 extra first round picks? 

If we can pick up several firsts and stay in the top 5 so we come away with Okudah or Simmons, and get another 1rst and Second, maybe I'm doing that. I doubt it could happen, so I'll stick with Young, because a team full of mediocre starters is mediocre. We need more stars.

3 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

This whole one guy won’t solve all of our problems nonsense needs to stop. That’s not how the draft works you don’t pass on a generational talent at arguably the most important defensive position because there are other holes on the roster. Did the Giants, Broncos, Eagles and Panthers have other holes to fill when they drafted LT, Von Miller, Reggie White and Julius Peppers? Chase Young as a prospect is in that ballpark, but let’s pass him because he won’t lead us to the playoffs single handedly his rookie year. 

8 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Didnt san Fran have other holes too when they drafted bosa...I mean armstead, soloman thomas, Buckner, all first round picks too.

Also traded for Dee Ford. I’m baffled that there’s even a conversation about passing on Chase Young. 

9 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Also traded for Dee Ford. I’m baffled that there’s even a conversation about passing on Chase Young. 

We are not passing on Young. Just saying if someone offered us a boatload of picks for our #2 spot what would you do? Pass on the trade and take Young or take the boatload and fix 3 problems.

Don't want to jinx this.  But again this isn't a road we've traveled on before.  It's not like here we go again.  If we have the opportunity to draft the consensus top player in the draft it would be a new ride. 

It would be the first time I recall that's happened in my lifetime.   We don't play in the high end of the pool that often.  I don't think conversely it's a coincidence we typically don't get players anywhere near the top 50 let alone top 10 in player rankings and have had no first team All Pros.  If we have an opportunity to draft him, it would be us trying something new.

If we traded that pick, I seriously doubt we'd get an RG3 type haul but playing along if we did the Rams basically got three impact players from that trade: Brockers, J.  Jenkins and Ogletree.   No way would i want three guys like that for someone like Young.   for me like @Koolblue13 said I'd need a top 5 pick to anchor a trade for me to do it, coupled with another two #1's and another.  But i doubt that would happen. 

I thought it was interesting when we signed Peterson, a couple of my in laws said its weird seeing him in a Redskins uniform.  I asked why?  They said he's a star and they don't associate big name stars with the Redskins, its not really what we do.  I thought about it back then and concluded yeah they are right.  We don't do the best of the best type of thing. 

We don't do Ed Reeds at safety or Aaron Donald or Brady or Brees or Thomas name that big player/top or top 3 at their position -- we don't roll like that,  It's part of the reason why I said a few weeks back it seemed fitting for Chase Young to end up a Giant (he still could so I hope i am wrong on that) because for their faults, they still seem to manage to always have a top player type who sells a gazillion jerseys and in turns keeps fans in the stands.

I think we need a dude like that who can change games.  I also would enjoy to be a little relevant nationally for a change - winning breeds that but also having a player that actually gets talked about and other teams envy that you got.    

@Skinsinparadise the star power thing can't be understated. Young will be a star. On offense, McLaurin will definitely be a star. Haskins might be a up and coming QB. If Love or Guise can stay healthy, they both have potential to be stars. These are the people you game plan around. That stand out and make everyone better. If Young is a star, Payne and Iaon look better, more chances for Dunbar to make plays. Collins can make more plays, etc. The same way that teams focusing on TMac and AP helps Sims look great. Getting an elite player is a must.

I know the hot talk is all about Young (as it should be) but has anyone looked into the tight ends much? Brycen Hopkins from Purdue, Alex O from Missouri, Jared Pinkey from Vanderbilt, and Harrison Bryant from Florida Atlantic are all on my wish list. Anyone else have a prospect they like in the tight end realm to watch out for in the later rounds? Who is the best blocker of the class? The more I watch Hopkins the more I like him. He has a lot of Mark Andrews like qualities to him which could be huge in helping our young QB develop. Other favorites?

Just now, fordranger76 said:

I know the hot talk is all about Young (as it should be) but has anyone looked into the tight ends much? Brycen Hopkins from Purdue, Alex O from Missouri, Jared Pinkey from Vanderbilt, and Harrison Bryant from Florida Atlantic are all on my wish list. Anyone else have a prospect they like in the tight end realm to watch out for in the later rounds? Who is the best blocker of the class? The more I watch Hopkins the more I like him. He has a lot of Mark Andrews like qualities to him which could be huge in helping our young QB develop. Other favorites?

SiPs posted about TE for a few of us a few times. No one really stands out. Last year we needed to pull the trigger on a TE, but it probably would have meant no 17 or 13, so it is what it is. Seems like mostly oversized WRs this year.

14 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

So from what I am reading you guys think Young is better than 3 top draft choices. Do you think one guy is going to help us that much? 

I most certainly do.

Chase Young is a GENERATIONAL talent.

Not just a really good pass rusher.

Basically, he has the ability to just wreck an offense.

After watching those Chase Young highlights, two thoughts come to my mind.  One, there are levels to this stuff and two, Chase Young is at that other level.  Like the announcer said you don't get cute with Chase Young.  To the Redskins front office, I caution you.  Don't get cute with Chase Young.  This is a no-brainer.

17 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

After watching those Chase Young highlights, two thoughts come to my mind.  One, there are levels to this stuff and two, Chase Young is at that other level.  Like the announcer said you don't get cute with Chase Young.  To the Redskins front office, I caution you.  Don't get cute with Chase Young.  This is a no-brainer.

a third things comes to mind...

why in gods name was Penn State leaving 71 on an island? 

2 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

We are not passing on Young. Just saying if someone offered us a boatload of picks for our #2 spot what would you do? Pass on the trade and take Young or take the boatload and fix 3 problems.

You take Chase Young without a moment’s thought. The impact he can have outweighs stacking in the long run, especially with what we already have on the d-line. You can’t double team Young and Allen without leaving a tight end or a back in, in which case the opposing offense is game planning on our terms. Young’s value is invaluable. 

43 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

43 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Doing that to a college RT is one thing. Doing it to a NFL tackle is another. Can someone play his highlights from the last 2 games against Mich and Wisc where I believe he had no sacks and only a few assists on tackles. Highlights are one thing, I am reserving my judgement until after the game this weekend with Clemson.

13 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Doing that to a college RT is one thing. Doing it to a NFL tackle is another. Can someone play his highlights from the last 2 games against Mich and Wisc where I believe he had no sacks and only a few assists on tackles. Highlights are one thing, I am reserving my judgement until after the game this weekend with Clemson.

I did post Wisc, but here's his worst game. They doubled him really well, ran and booted away from him constantly and watch how many rushed throws/incompletions he created. Not to mention the job in the run game.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=chase+young+vs+mich#id=2&vid=3666e37b8e332168e0f4b201e77b001d&action=click

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

We have enough cap space to make a real move for a high quality TE in FA. I would go that route before putting a 3rd on a TE and expecting too much next season. I think TE will be a real expectation in the 1st or 2nd in the 2021 draft though. If anything, I would look into an H-Back type ( like Trevon Wesco) in the later rounds.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

@Skinsinparadise the star power thing can't be understated. Young will be a star. On offense, McLaurin will definitely be a star. Haskins might be a up and coming QB. If Love or Guise can stay healthy, they both have potential to be stars. These are the people you game plan around. That stand out and make everyone better. If Young is a star, Payne and Iaon look better, more chances for Dunbar to make plays. Collins can make more plays, etc. The same way that teams focusing on TMac and AP helps Sims look great. Getting an elite player is a must.

Agreed. And one thing Dan needs is a star to put asses in the seats at Fedex. Chase Young checks not only every box on the field, but he will also sell tickets and give the Redskins some much needed excitement. He is a no brainer pick IMO. Now we just need to lose to Dallas this week. I am normally against rooting for your team to lose. But no this week. I hope we get absolutely mauled early in the game so we can just watch this miserable season disappear into history.

Archived