Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Agreed. And one thing Dan needs is a star to put asses in the seats at Fedex. Chase Young checks not only every box on the field, but he will also sell tickets and give the Redskins some much needed excitement. He is a no brainer pick IMO. Now we just need to lose to Dallas this week. I am normally against rooting for your team to lose. But no this week. I hope we get absolutely mauled early in the game so we can just watch this miserable season disappear into history.

I hate seeing our defense get punked, so I want a close game. Don't need to pull for offense without Haskins and TMac, but it might be good to see the other WRs try and step up.

2 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

I know the hot talk is all about Young (as it should be) but has anyone looked into the tight ends much? Brycen Hopkins from Purdue, Alex O from Missouri, Jared Pinkey from Vanderbilt, and Harrison Bryant from Florida Atlantic are all on my wish list. Anyone else have a prospect they like in the tight end realm to watch out for in the later rounds? Who is the best blocker of the class? The more I watch Hopkins the more I like him. He has a lot of Mark Andrews like qualities to him which could be huge in helping our young QB develop. Other favorites?

I finished TE tape earlier this week. And IMO it is not a great TE class coming out. I like Hopkins, Breeland and Okwuegbunam but I wouldnt reach for any of those guys or any other TE in this draft in all honesty.

And then the Bengals surprise everyone and choose Chase Young.  Lol.  A lot can happen between now and the draft.  I would wait to see which teams are offering to move up in the draft and which players are still available with the lower picks.  There are a lot of questions to be answered first:  is a football guy making the roster decisions?; will the Skins have a defensive coordinator that will maximize the Dline and OLB talent?  Scheme changes?  Talented players that should be traded away if they don't fit? etc etc.  

2 hours ago, PlayAction said:

And then the Bengals surprise everyone and choose Chase Young.  Lol.  A lot can happen between now and the draft.  I would wait to see which teams are offering to move up in the draft and which players are still available with the lower picks.  There are a lot of questions to be answered first:  is a football guy making the roster decisions?; will the Skins have a defensive coordinator that will maximize the Dline and OLB talent?  Scheme changes?  Talented players that should be traded away if they don't fit? etc etc.  

Agree but that's sort of the Bruce GM thread topics.  Here's it mostly purely about what players we love.  

I’ve been one the Chase Young train since before the college and NFL seasons, but I wonder how good you can expect him to be  as a rookie and how much he can move the needle for the whole defense. I guess he won’t be replacing prime Kerrigan, but is replacing very little production from that position. Perhaps paired with a new defensive coordinator, the defense might look entirely more menacing. 

Also, you have to think that there are defensive coordinators that would be chomping at the bit to come in and coach Chase Young, Montez Sweat, Payne, Allen, Ioannidis, Dunbar, Collins, and maybe Reuben Foster. If we add a Cb in FA, there is a ridiculous amount of talent there and that kind of unit could really perform and improve the long term coaching prospects of a DC, rather then depressing them, as most recent units in DC have. 

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Agreed. And one thing Dan needs is a star to put asses in the seats at Fedex. Chase Young checks not only every box on the field, but he will also sell tickets and give the Redskins some much needed excitement. He is a no brainer pick IMO. Now we just need to lose to Dallas this week. I am normally against rooting for your team to lose. But no this week. I hope we get absolutely mauled early in the game so we can just watch this miserable season disappear into history.

I'm just speaking for myself but I doubt that Chase Young gets me excited more than good QB play. Sure a dominant game would excite me here and there, but I doubt Young would be putting up 5 sack games on the regular. Even if he put up an 18 sack season (which even as much of a generational player as he is we can't expect this from him) how exciting will those games / teams be? I look at guys like Khalil Mack, JJ Watt, Clowney, and Donald. All guys who are worth building a defense (and possibly team) around but none of them really move the needle for me in terms of saying "I'd love to go see them play". 

I contrast that with a guy like RG3, Kirk Cousins, now Haskins. I'm leaving out Alex Smith because I wouldn't have paid to see Smith. I'd also throw in guys like Portis and Moss because although they weren't as dominant as I would have liked I loved their big play style and ability to take over a game. Who else has that kind of ability?

If Haskins turns into a legit QB which I think is definitely possible (maybe even likely now) I think that's going to do more for Dan's bottom line than Young. 

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

We have enough cap space to make a real move for a high quality TE in FA. I would go that route before putting a 3rd on a TE and expecting too much next season. I think TE will be a real expectation in the 1st or 2nd in the 2021 draft though. If anything, I would look into an H-Back type ( like Trevon Wesco) in the later rounds.

I think I'm in this camp too. Our roster consists of a few guys who could develop into decent TEs. I don't think the draft is high on top end TE talent, and I think that TE is just not a dominant enough position to spend too high of a draft pick on. But between signing a top end TE, and some of the guys like Sprinkle, Hentges, Caleb Wilson, and Cunningham there are some guys who can develop into decent receiving options and help this team grow in that respect. 

Also, I think a lot of the development of this position will depend on Haskins and his reliability on the TE. Early on he was passing to the TE a lot, but I think it was because he didn't trust Richardson and Quinn much . Now with the emergence of Harmon and Sims, I think they have become the number 2 and 3 threats on offense, over even Thompson. So would our Te get 5 targets a game? 3? 1? If thats the case how much money or how high a draft pick do we want to spend on a TE? 

35 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’ve been one the Chase Young train since before the college and NFL seasons, but I wonder how good you can expect him to be  as a rookie and how much he can move the needle for the whole defense. I guess he won’t be replacing prime Kerrigan, but is replacing very little production from that position. Perhaps paired with a new defensive coordinator, the defense might look entirely more menacing. 

Also, you have to think that there are defensive coordinators that would be chomping at the bit to come in and coach Chase Young, Montez Sweat, Payne, Allen, Ioannidis, Dunbar, Collins, and maybe Reuben Foster. If we add a Cb in FA, there is a ridiculous amount of talent there and that kind of unit could really perform and improve the long term coaching prospects of a DC, rather then depressing them, as most recent units in DC have. 

To be real...prime Kerrigan was not all that great. I mean a good solid productive player yes. But never been, nor was he the prospect that chase young is. Chase young may come in and absolutely transform our defense because he has that kind of explosiveness and ability. Kerrigan was all motor and power.  Without looking it up...kerrigans best seasonal sack record was what...12...13? If that? I think that with our d line chase young has the ability to put up aldon Smith type numbers

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we traded that pick, I seriously doubt we'd get an RG3 type haul but playing along if we did the Rams basically got three impact players from that trade: Brockers, J.  Jenkins and Ogletree.   No way would i want three guys like that for someone like Young.   for me like @Koolblue13 said I'd need a top 5 pick to anchor a trade for me to do it, coupled with another two #1's and another.  But i doubt that would happen. 

This is something I agree with for the most part. Normally I do the whole trade down bit, but there is an argument about the whole thing with BPA vs need for a long time and if we were talking about reaching for a need with a Chase Young pick vs trading down for more picks, possibly getting Young and then getting more guys, then yeah its something you consider. 

But that's not happening here. We're getting either Young or a bunch of jabronies. And in this case it becomes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but really its more like a dozen in the bush if not more. I do think that we could get more value from a trade down than what was gotten by the Rams or some other picks, but I look at what Oakland got for the Mack trade, what Miami got for the Fitzpatrick trade, a few more and I kinda see why some players are or should be untradeable. We haven't seen Young at this level yet but I'd bet on him becoming a star more than a mid-first round pick and a bunch of lower round guys developing into stars or even reasonable players. 

And the other thing is that as big as I am on having a lot of draft picks, I'm also big on signing a number of UDFAs. In some respects the main thing about having say 3 or 4 7ths is that it means that you can ensure you get a guy like Sims Jr. instead of having to negotiate with him and risk losing him to other teams who may also value him highly. And I do think that our front office is pretty good at that UDFA market. 

50 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Kerrigan may not have ever been dominant but he’s been hella consistent through the years. Isn’t he like 2nd or 3rd in sacks all time from his draft class?

In the 4 years before this year’s dropoff, Kerrigan posted 9.5, 11, 13 and 13 sacks. His best year he posted 13.5 sacks. PFT just ranked Kerrigan in the top 10 linebackers this decade. So, he may not be a Von Miller or Aaron Donald caliber player, but he IS or was very good. That production was not going to be easy to replace. 

I think the main difference I’d expect between Chase and Ryan is that I expect Chase to have multiple 15 plus sack years, but I also expect him to be more consistently disruptive while commanding double teams, chip blocks, etc. There is a big difference between a guy that gets 13 sacks, and a guy that does that while facing constant double teams, chips and roll outs away from that player. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KerrRy00.htm

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/26/top-10-linebackers-of-the-decade/

Also, there continue to be rumblings about Chase Young not coming out. If we lose to Dallas and Chase doesn’t declare for the draft, I’m going to be pissed. 

1 hour ago, Sean 3621 said:

If chase doesn’t come out and we sit at #2 with 2 of the 3 QBs on the board we are still sitting pretty not to mention Simmons may actually be the better player for what this team needs ( someone that can actually cover a TE)

The idea that Simmons is a bigger need because he can cover a TE seems silly. We need a pass rusher to replace Kerrigan and, by all accounts, the best player in college football this year was Chase Young. I also think we obviously need a LT more than someone to cover a TE. 

Also, do we actually believe that Henry Ruggs ran 24.3mph this year? That number seems crazy. The fastest that Tyreek Hill has ever run is 22.6mph. That makes Ruggs' top speed 7.52% faster than that of Tyreek Hill. That, in my eyes, strains credulity. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-tyreek-hill-sets-career-best-top-speed-on-91-yard-touchdown-run-by-damien-williams-vs-vikings/

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/alabama-football-henry-ruggs-iii-alabama-wide-receivers-alabama-kick-coverage

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

The idea that Simmons is a bigger need because he can cover a TE seems silly. We need a pass rusher to replace Kerrigan and, by all accounts, the best player in college football this year was Chase Young. I also think we obviously need a LT more than someone to cover a TE. 

Also, do we actually believe that Henry Ruggs ran 24.3mph this year? That number seems crazy. The fastest that Tyreek Hill has ever run is 22.6mph. That makes Ruggs' top speed 7.52% faster than that of Tyreek Hill. That, in my eyes, strains credulity. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chiefs-tyreek-hill-sets-career-best-top-speed-on-91-yard-touchdown-run-by-damien-williams-vs-vikings/

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/alabama-football-henry-ruggs-iii-alabama-wide-receivers-alabama-kick-coverage

The idea of calling Simmons someone who just covers the TE is ridiculous. He's played successfully FS and Slot CB this year. His speed and get off is elite. Hes going to be one of the fastest players coming out this year. And hes a LB. He is absolutely a need for this team.

44 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The idea of calling Simmons someone who just covers the TE is ridiculous. He's played successfully FS and Slot CB this year. His speed and get off is elite. Hes going to be one of the fastest players coming out this year. And hes a LB. He is absolutely a need for this team.

I, admittedly, did not watch Clemson a lot this year but i've read reports that he can literally play 5 positions on defense.  A TRUE hybrid, the likes we havent seen since Matheiu came out.  He can cover TEs, he can cover WRs, he can play ILB and shadow someone like Watson, Dak, or Rodgers.  He can put his hand in the dirt and pass rush effectively against OTs.  He can drop back and has enough range and speed to play CF as a FS.  I cannot 100% say that any of this is not folklore, but if this is the type of player he is... he has my attention... big time.  

54 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I, admittedly, did not watch Clemson a lot this year but i've read reports that he can literally play 5 positions on defense.  A TRUE hybrid, the likes we havent seen since Matheiu came out.  He can cover TEs, he can cover WRs, he can play ILB and shadow someone like Watson, Dak, or Rodgers.  He can put his hand in the dirt and pass rush effectively against OTs.  He can drop back and has enough range and speed to play CF as a FS.  I cannot 100% say that any of this is not folklore, but if this is the type of player he is... he has my attention... big time.  

Matheiu changed the trajectory of what franchise???  Yeah its not a type of player you get for a team like the Redskins

3 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Matheiu changed the trajectory of what franchise???  Yeah its not a type of player you get for a team like the Redskins

To expect ANY player not a QB to 'change the trajectory of a franchise' is unfair.  He is 1 of 11 players on any given side of the ball.  Mack didn't even change the trajectory of the Bears.  QB is the ONLY position that touches the ball as frequently as it does.  

I don't understand your comment either.  Are you saying you don't want Simmons?  

13 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

No idea what this means. 

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm going on cut ups and talk myself, but hes got a chance to be a bigger James or Adam's and we saw the impact Adam's can have in a game. Dudes sick.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I was just quoting Sean 3621 when I made the comment about someone covering the tight end not being our chief need. I think Simmons is great. I just think he’s clearly not as good as Chase Young. 

also, I can’t help but shake the feeling that if he stays healthy, Tua is the the best player in this class. I know that’s a big, “if”. I don’t share McQueen’s opinion that quarterbacks are made, not drafted. Tua is a gamer: a bad team could ruin him, but I think he’s a Watson/Mahommes type prospect. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If Chase stays and we do in fact end up with #2.... we better get more than the RG3 trade. That move was only like 2 spots for that haul the Rams got. I'd expect more than that from someone out of the top 5 already.

That trade was the Redskins being the Redskins.  I can't see anyone doing that to get any player.  OTOH, it only takes one team out of 31, so anything's possible.

Archived