Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

So... He's dog **** slow, has injury issues and he wasn't as involved in an offense as you'd like a TE prospect to be.

But:

He also didn't drop a single pass this season, he's a better than okay blocker, he's a smart route runner and he has a pedigree.

Oh, and he may actually be better (but less athletic) as both a receiver and a blocker than anyone on our roster.

The athleticism and injuries are major factors, of course. Hence why he went undrafted. He'll have to earn his spot, but he could be a featured Y for us if he makes it through the initial stage.

Dog **** slow like Chris Cooley?? Lol. If so it can work!

I not worried about our squad compared to the division. With who we picked up for coaches (leaders of men) and in the draft (we got Chase ****ing Young) ...the rest is gravy really. That being said, with the current roster and the hopeful healing and return to form of Foster and Love we have a BUNCH of team athleticism and speed. It will be a few years to contend for the playoffs but we will already be a problem for every team and that is infinitely better than the past few years... or 25 years. HTTR

1 hour ago, BleedBNG said:

USA Today (who are usually anything critical about the Skins) gave us an A-

Not bad Kyle

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2020/04/25/nfl-draft-grades-2020-teams-packers-eagles-cowboys-dolphins/3026362001/

I'd give us a C.  Aside from the absolute no-brainer that was picking Chase Young, we did some reaching on guys who tested well but weren't productive or successful college players and didn't get a ton of obvious value for our picks.  Combine that with a weak FA class and what looks to be a pathetic UDFA crop plus getting very minimal value in return for Dunbar and Trent and giving up our high fifth for Kyle Allen and this was not our finest offseason.  It is what it is.  We had a great offseason in 2019 and won three games, so you never know how quickly this stuff will translate.  Hopefully we can start seeing a return on that big draft class this year.

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm reading only three confirmed UDFA signings.  That's really weak if true, especially for a draft where an unusually high number of good players went undrafted.

Yeah, I was hoping for more. In my book, we have big holes. I don't necessarily expect UDFAs to fill 'em, but there's room for them. I do think that agents ought to do a better job of scouting teams to send their UDFAs too. For instance, if I were a tight end, guard, or tackle, I'd be pitching my client to the Redskins. I believe there are slots waiting to be filled for back up at the minimum. Their client would have an easier time making this roster than others.

Well, we'll see what the morning brings.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'd give us a C.  Aside from the absolute no-brainer that was picking Chase Young, we did some reaching on guys who tested well but weren't productive or successful college players and didn't get a ton of obvious value for our picks.  Combine that with a weak FA class and what looks to be a pathetic UDFA crop plus getting very minimal value in return for Dunbar and Trent and giving up our high fifth for Kyle Allen and this was not our finest offseason.  It is what it is.  We had a great offseason in 2019 and won three games, so you never know how quickly this stuff will translate.  Hopefully we can start seeing a return on that big draft class this year.

I give them latitude and slack due to the unprecedented  challenges this year, restricting their ability to fully evaluate players

3 hours ago, Shakazullo21 said:

They are reporting we also signed Jonathon Johnson WR from Mizzou.

Another "Tiger"

47 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I give them latitude and slack due to the unprecedented  challenges this year, restricting their ability to fully evaluate players

Every team was competing under the same conditions though.  The unsettled nature of our FO due to the regime transition hurt us this off-season though.  I think it led to us getting taken advantage of by the more successful and well-established FOs we traded with in the NFC West, and I think it also hampered our ability to establish a coherent plan at QB, as well as court desirable free agents that we didn't already have a relationship with prior to this off-season.

Things can improve rapidly for next off-season if we do some winning this year.

A mediocre draft is a missed opportunity, but it isn't damning.  We kicked into a Super blue chipper, and even if we aren't maximizing the value of our picks and UDFA signings like Minnesota and Baltimore and Kansas City, etc. we can still build something of quality so long as we have a good plan and do a good job developing the guys we do get.   Seattle and New England and Green Bay and Pittsburgh and Atlanta are teams that come to mind who have been pretty sketchy with their draft values but they win.  They get guys who fit specifically into what they do schematically and systemically and developmentally.  They create a whole that is more than the sum of its parts.  And they coach up a lot of guys who turn into gems as a result.  It's like they manufacture their own value.

I think we're clearly building for a new style of play, and as part of it, we valued certain types of players higher who wouldn't be as good for other teams.  Gibson and Charles and Ismael are kind of give away that we're going to switch to an outside zone and sweep heavy offense eventually.  You can get away with smaller linemen in that scheme.  Guys who have strength deficiencies like Charles and Ismael are viable if they're good move blockers, which those two are.

A lot of our success will hinge on our ability to successfully develop linemen.  On both sides.  So far we haven't seen a big return on all of the middle round investment we've out into the offensive line.  But there is still time for those guys to get better.  And we've got a DL with more natural talent than anyone else in the league, if they reach their potential they can lead us to the playoffs.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm reading only three confirmed UDFA signings.  That's really weak if true, especially for a draft where an unusually high number of good players went undrafted.

It's strange, it seems like every team is going to town on UDFAs but us.  Some have said this might be the best UDFA crop we've seen in a long time.  In real time, I liked our previous 2 drafts better than this one.  But will see.  A.  Gibson was one of my guys.  I think he will be a star.  Some of the 5th-7th round picks I had some other players I liked better.  But again will see how it plays out.  But their lack of activity thus far with UDFA is disappointing -- especially when you stack it against really every other team just about. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/2020-undrafted-free-agent-tracker/#

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's strange, it seems like every team is going to town on UDFAs but us.  Some have said this might be the best UDFA crop we've seen in a long time.  In real time, I liked our previous 2 drafts better than this one.  But will see.  A.  Gibson was one of my guys.  I think he will be a star.  Some of the 5th-7th round picks I had some other players I liked better.  But again will see how it plays out.  But their lack of activity thus far with UDFA is disappointing -- especially when you stack in against really every other team just about. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/2020-undrafted-free-agent-tracker/#

Maybe......given that the Skins just traded Trent and picked up that extra cap money, we are focusing on signing more available free agents? 

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Maybe......given that the Skins just traded Trent and picked up that extra cap money, we are focusing on signing more available free agents? 

Don't know.  It's just odd for any team in any year regardless of context to do so little in UDFA.  There were a bunch guys IMO who were worth chasing, some of whom I named.  I do think this was one of the more attractive UDFA classes.   I was wondering why Kyle and Ron were doing a bunch of interviews, fan stuff in the throes if the UDFA signing flurry yesterday.    Maybe there is another person assigned to that task within the organization.  But for the moment it feels off when a bunch of teams signed 3 to 4 times the UDFAs we did and who have more loaded rosters than we do.  It's not the be all and end all, so am not crying about it.  But it just strikes me a little strange.

It is strange.  I didn't know about Smith and Rivera doing interviews and pep rally stuff during UDFA time.  That would explain the weakness of our class...

I'm not going to lie, it feels like we didn't sign more FAs and UDFAs because of the weakness of the front office and an inability to effectively sell this organization to players.  And getting taken advantage of by Trent and Dunbar and the teams that traded for them is a display of weakness from the FO too.  Weak in the locker room, weak in the market.

We're in the middle of a transition, so I'll cut the FO a little slack for this and hope they can be stronger next off-season and grow into their jobs.  But it's concerning.  I had a lot of confidence in Kyle Smith and I'm hoping it wasn't misplaced.  Having a strong front office is everything in this league.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It is strange.  I didn't know about Smith and Rivera doing interviews and pep rally stuff during UDFA time.  That would explain the weakness of our class...

Yeah I noticed it was going on, struck me weird but I didn't really think that much of it until I noticed how few players they signed. 

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not going to lie, it feels like we didn't sign more FAs and UDFAs because of the weakness of the front office and an inability to effectively sell this organization to players.  And getting taken advantage of by Trent and Dunbar and the teams that traded for them is a display of weakness from the FO too.  Weak in the locker room, weak in the market.

It could be Trent and Dunbar more than anything.  Because typically bad teams don't struggle to sign UDFAs because if anything they often present the best opportunities to win jobs. 

I do think Bruce Allen has done more to damage the image and the vibe of the culture about this organization than even Vinny Cerrato did and by a mile.    We sort of have this reputation now of being cheap and 2nd class and that includes the facilities compared to other organizations.   I understand why Rivera didn't want to pay Dunbar big money and Trent until he had them in his locker room to judge them.  But it still doubled down on the idea that this isn't the team to play for if you want to get paid.  Years back, this team even during the losing was a team that wasn't considered cheap.  Now its sort of both the loser and 2nd class organization.  So they have work to do to dig out of that hole.

I was reading that the Cowboys were poised to sign Quartney Davis but then the Vikings came in and offered him double and he signed there.  So money talks in UDFAs.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're in the middle of a transition, so I'll cut the FO a little slack for this and hope they can be stronger next off-season and grow into their jobs.  But it's concerning.  I had a lot of confidence in Kyle Smith and I'm hoping it wasn't misplaced.  Having a strong front office is everything in this league.

I am a big Kyle guy, too.  I'll sit down and watch some of the players I wasn't that familiar with in the later rounds and see if my mind changes that they passed on what I thought at the time were better opportunities.    I would say in the past when Kyle has made sort of off beat choices at least in some of our minds in the draft they haven't really paid off the same way the more obvious names have.  Apke seemed a weird choice at the time.  Ditto Wes Martin (we will see about him).  Ditto Nicholson.  It's usually a pick per draft like that from him.  This time it was 4 picks like that.  But i admit I haven't watched any of those players games. 

Kiper

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/29056681/2020-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-all-32-classes-best-picks-steals-sleepers

Washington Redskins: C+

Top needs: Edge, OT, TE, WR

With a new coach (and 3-13 season) comes roster turnover, and Ron Rivera has worked hard this offseason to bring in veterans to help the team on both sides of the ball. And with no second-round pick after the old regime traded back into Round 1 last year to take Montez Sweat, Rivera & Co. were left with only the No. 2 overall pick in the first two rounds.

So you shouldn't be surprised when I say I like that Washington got my top-ranked overall prospect in edge rusher Chase Young, one of the most NFL-ready pass-rushers to come out of college in the past decade. Yes, this team has now drafted a defensive lineman in the first round in each of the past four years (Young, Sweat, Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen), but it couldn't afford to pass on Young, who has All-Pro talent. Rivera is a defensive coach, and he has a really good front seven to build around. "It would have been very, very hard to convince me that somebody else would be as impactful as the guy that we drafted," Rivera said on Thursday night. I agree, though really Young fell into their laps.

The Redskins also got an interesting running back/wide receiver prospect with Antonio Gibson (66), who caught 44 passes and also averaged 11.2 yards per carry on 33 rushes last season. A smart playcaller will get him 10 touches a game. Antonio Gandy-Golden (142) is a 6-foot-4 raw wideout with a massive 77-inch wingspan. He attacks the ball in the air, though he'll need some time to develop. Saahdiq Charles (108) looks like a starting-caliber NFL offensive tackle, but the tape didn't match his talent.

Young was a bit of a gimme pick at No. 2, and without a second-rounder I'll stick with a C-plus for Washington.

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do think Bruce Allen has done more to damage the image and the vibe of the culture about this organization than even Vinny Cerrato did and by a mile.    We sort of have this reputation now of being cheap and 2nd class and that includes the facilities compared to other organizations.   I understand why Rivera didn't want to pay Dunbar big money and Trent until he had them in his locker room to judge them.  But it still doubled down on the idea that this isn't the team to play for if you want to get paid.  Years back, this team even during the losing was a team that wasn't considered cheap.  Now its sort of both the loser and 2nd class organization.  So they have work to do to dig out of that hole.

See, while I'd agree with your assessment here I'm of the opinion that Ron & Co. are focused on things other than just the W/L record this year, part of which is that "rep" the organization has. We are a long way from being a tight, professional outfit that players want to be a part of, but I believe we are on the road to that and closer than we were a year ago. 

Gotta demo before you rebuild, it's just a fact of life and demo is messy and loud and pisses off the neighbors but it's still essential. After decades of repatching patched patches and pretending it's a whole, Ron gotta swing a sledge. Trent to SF for peanuts? Gotta demo, everyone needed him to move on. Dunbar out @ Craigslist prices? Gotta set that tone, we really ARE gonna demo this mfer. 

So while I have no expectations of SB this year, and tbh I think .500 is our ceiling, Ron & Co. have to do the foundational/cut the BS/teach these kids what "team" really means work before they can start building more.

Getting thru a season with face palming or embarrassment would be progress in my book.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

this

sorry, but while i'm good enough with head coach and talent evaluator rivera (but not enthralled even while grateful we even got that good a get) i am uncertain about rivera the gm/hg/king...there are few guys that pull off that dual role well and i'm far from %100 that ron  is one of them at this point...

i also think that this org's operating style from the top down has been a real part of bringing virtually every coaching talent it's ever had "down" in level of performance these last 15-20 years, including gibbs for that matter (though i think passing of time and life changes for joe had a lot to do with that and he sure wasn't a scrub in round 2)

ron has an ego too and he is coming form an org where he was fired....and now he's been, seemingly and at least temporarily, given the keys to a new kingdom to make his own and "complete" power,,,giddy and intoxicating, even if controlled

not making any firm judgments here at all of course, it's way early,  just my take on actual history per my observations, whether jaded or justified (i think it's a mix)

Archived