Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

The draft and the offseason were the same avenues. The team looked to add dynamic players to the roster that fit the Turner and Del Rio systems in a base building year.

This fan base undoubtedly believes that it has a core of players, but over the last x amount of years, that core has amounted to nothing. A new core had to be established, and has been. 

Taking a quick look at the players brought in, or already on the roster, they almost all have some versatility. The offensive linemen can play a little G/T or C/G.

Charles is a T or G.

Ismael is a G or T.

Piersbacher is a G/C.

Roullier can do both. 

McKissick is a receiver/RB.

Gibson is a receiver/RB.

Young is dynamic from a do-it-all perspective as an EDGE.

KPL is a versatile backer. As is Bostic. And Holcomb. And SDH. 

Allen can play defensive end or 3-tech (though will mostly be a 3.)

Ioan can play 1 or 3. 

Anderson can play rush end or a little backer. Kerrigan can do the same. 

Hudson is a LB/S. Collins can do the same things. Apke and Reaves to a lesser extent as well. Fuller can play slot CB, outside CB or FS. 

Even Kam Curl is a capable press corner or a safety (and I bet you he winds up being primarily a press corner for us). 

Thomas is more of a pass catching TE but a willing blocker. Hentges can do a little of both. Moss can do both. Sprinkle can do both. 

McLaurin can play outside or the slot, he won’t most of the time, but he can.

Gandy-Golden is an athlete that can be an open field threat or a red zone problem. 

Sims is a returner or a slot. 

Haskins has shown he can be mobile or a pocket QB. 

I understand the frustration with this offseason. On the surface this team doesn’t look a lot better skill wise. There are holes. There are warts. And this team may not be a whole heck of a lot better this year... but that foundation, man.

Every year can’t be a foundation year. But this has been a good offseason when you look at it from a building block perspective, in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The draft and the offseason were the same avenues. The team looked to add dynamic players to the roster that fit the Turner and Del Rio systems in a base building year.

This fan base undoubtedly believes that it has a core of players, but over the last x amount of years, that core has amounted to nothing. A new core had to be established, and has been. 

Taking a quick look at the players brought in, or already on the roster, they almost all have some versatility. The offensive linemen can play a little G/T or C/G.

That's been Rivera's mantra from the start.  Carolina was the same. Shaq Thompson.  McCaffrey, Samuel.

Looks like we are going to use a lot of 2 back sets and try to confuse the opponent's defense with backfield motion, sweeps, fake sweeps, end arounds, WR handoffs, etc.

Gibson I think potentially will be a star on that front.  For starters he's already used to it in college.   He can both break tackles and has breakaway speed.

I recall Jay 2 years ago seem to really go to town on sweeps and or to fake the sweep and then handoff.  But I recall Paul Richardson was so bad at selling the fake because he would take such a wide arc when he ran around the QB that you knew he wasn't getting the ball. 

With 2 back sets, be interesting if they do some RO and test Haskins ball handling skills back there.  Part of selling this is the QB's ball handling skills. 

@Skinsinparadise I like the boom or bust potential of this draft. We seemingly always get good and "safe players" which is fine to fill out the roster but we never get the upper echelon pro-bowl talent. You have to go for it and the draft is the best place to do so. 

I like our FO approach in using Free Agency to fill out depth and provide competition with players hungry on one year deals. They must buy in, not just for the team but for their careers. Then use the draft to swing for the fences and select high end athletic talent that the coaching staff likes in their scheme. High end athletic traits and a coaching staff that wants and knows how to use them gives me better faith in the development and utilization of our assets. People use the word versatile to describe RR's vision, but you could say another word for versatile is athletic.

Finally the synergy between the scouting department and coaching staff gives me hope. I'm also glad that our draft approach is viewed as different then in years past. Outside of Terry Mc all other picks that have panned out have been safe and solid. Give me more stars!

Teams only get "A" draft grades because they draft players that were high on draftnik's boards later then they were ranked. Just because they were high on a draftnik's board has little to no bearing on NFL scout's boards. I love reading and watching snap judgement grades but 3 year grades are going to be the most accurate. Looking at Redskins 2017 draft you can point to Jonathan Allen, Ryan Anderson, Fabian Moreau, Jeremy Sprinkle, Chase Roullier and Josh Harvey-Clemons as players still with the team. Jonathan Allen, Ryan Anderson, Fabian Moreau and Chase Roullier being the players with the most impact on the team since then. Pretty decent IMO.

My only grip with this class is Gibson. Don’t get me wrong, I like him and think he’s gonna be a key piece to our offense, but I just don’t think it was the right pick at the right time. We saw that with how late some of the more sought after WRs went (including into UDFA), I feel like we should have gone elsewhere. Of course, I would have gone Baun or secondary but it would have been hard to justify having two picks in the first 100+ and only going defense.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:46 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

@Monk4thaHALL's famous moonshine.

The biggest bong I ever hit was at Randolph Macon college in the football dorm, the aforementioned alphorn. Now the D-1 scholarship boys across town at Richmond could have certainly whooped the D-3 asses on the football field, but I think the after hours championship would have gone to the intramuralites. 

What was my point again? Amazing how I haven't given this year's draft one iota of thought. 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

My only grip with this class is Gibson. Don’t get me wrong, I like him and think he’s gonna be a key piece to our offense, but I just don’t think it was the right pick at the right time. We saw that with how late some of the more sought after WRs went (including into UDFA), I feel like we should have gone elsewhere. Of course, I would have gone Baun or secondary but it would have been hard to justify having two picks in the first 100+ and only going defense.

Baun doesn’t really fit with us. He’s a 3-4 style OLB/pass rush kind of player imo. Good player, to be sure, but I’m not sure he fits systematically. And, quite frankly, I noticed our staff only picked guys who fit what we plan on doing.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Baun doesn’t really fit with us. He’s a 3-4 style OLB/pass rush kind of player imo. Good player, to be sure, but I’m not sure he fits systematically. And, quite frankly, I noticed our staff only picked guys who fit what we plan on doing.

Theoretically yes, but from what I’ve seen in Wisconsin games was that he had a good nose for the ball and was great in pass protection as well as being technically considered an edge rusher. While we didn’t necessarily need pass rush help from our Lb position, we do need multidimensional guys back there and Baun, to me, fit that bill. I think he’s a smart player with good instincts and would have been a major factor for that soft area when our front 4 gets to aggressive.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I couldn’t disagree more. There had been 15 WR come off the board, half of which had come off the board in the 2nd round. Mims has just been selected, and only Gibson and Bowden remained of the high rated hybrid WR/RB that the Skins were obviously targeting. Bowden went shortly after, which would have left the Skins out in the cold for adding a versatile, explosive playmaker in this draft. That would have been terrible for both Scott Turner’s offense, and Haskins development in it.

I’m so glad that we took Gibson when we did, as I think we are on the outside looking in at a historically great WR/playmaker class if we don’t, and we still managed to nab Charles in the 4th. Just my 2 cents. 

15 minutes ago, Stormy said:

I couldn’t disagree more. There had been 15 WR come off the board, half of which had come off the board in the 2nd round. Mims has just been selected, and only Gibson and Bowden remained of the high rated hybrid WR/RB that the Skins were obviously targeting. Bowden went shortly after, which would have left the Skins out in the cold for adding a versatile, explosive playmaker in this draft. That would have been terrible for both Scott Turner’s offense, and Haskins development in it.

I’m so glad that we took Gibson when we did, as I think we are on the outside looking in at a historically great WR/playmaker class if we don’t, and we still managed to nab Charles in the 4th. Just my 2 cents. 

There’s no wrong answer, but I’d have preferred we picked someone from a position more at need and grabbed someone like Tyler Johnson, Hightower, DPJ or Proche later. Joe Reed is a similar type of player and he went almost 100 picks later.

But I’m not knocking their draft, that’s just my own personal preference.

I like our first 4 picks just fine--I am higher now on Gibson than I was at the time they drafted him. Love the Charles, AGG picks. I think overall, I liked the '19 class the most, Haskins, Sweat, McLaurin, Holcom, Martin, and Moreland all played pretty significant roles. They were the top rated class last year.

I think Chase Young, on his own, could be the difference maker in the class.

This has got to change soon:

Post image

27 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

He's going to be our Christian McCaffrey in this offense

This.

Like the NBA realized in the last decade, versatility allows your team to create mismatches on the fly w/o leaving you exposed. For every Desean Jackson big play, he gives you 5-10 plays where he cant block his own man.

Our WR's can block and get YAC/make plays

Our RB's can catch the ball

Our TE's can block and find open spots in Zone Coverage.

Our Linebackers can play the run and cover in space.

Simply put, today's coordinators are less bull-headed about "their system" or getting the ball to "Their" guy. its about ID'ing the mismatch and exposing it.

You want to crowd the box on AP & Guice, go vertical to Terry

You want to blitz and create pressure,  go sweeps and screens on the outside.

Chase Young, No. 99 — It's the number he wanted all along. The defensive end wore 9 in high school and 2 at Ohio State, so having two 9s in the league made a lot of sense for him. Sorry, Caleb Brantley.

Antonio Gibson, No. 24 — It'll take people in the area some time to associate 24 with Gibson instead of the guy who wore it last, Josh Norman. Be sure to also take note that he's in the 20s and not the teens or 80s, confirming he'll be amongst the running backs to start off and not the receivers.

Saahdiq Charles, No. 77 — Charles keeps what he had at LSU. O-line numbers aren't exactly pleasing, but being in the 70s is better than the 60s and the double-7 is somewhat cool.

Antonio Gandy-Golden, No. 10 — 10 makes the transition from the small, skinny Paul Richardson to the huge, imposing Gandy-Golden. Once the receiver position thins out, maybe AGG can grab something a little fresher. 10 is fine but there are much flashier options out there.

Keith Ismael, No. 60 — At least it's not the 50s. That's about all you can say on this one.

Khaleke Hudson, No. 47 — Hudson wore what is unequivocally the best football number in college (7), so he was due for a downgrade in the NFL. Still, while Chris Cooley sure made 47 work, it's a less-than-ideal draw for the defender. Like going from a smartphone to the telegraph.

Kamren Curl, No. 31 — Curl getting 31 either means he'll initially share with Fabian Moreau and have to change if he makes the roster, or that Moreau will be donning something else in 2020. Stay tuned to this developing story.

James Smith-Williams, No. 72 — Ending up in the 70s for a pass rusher is rough. Very rough. 72 brings to mind an offensive tackle or guard. If he makes the cut, trying to find a number in the 90s would be prudent.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/chase-young-and-other-seven-redskins-rookies-now-have-their-nfl-numbers

Archived