Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kamren Curl, No. 31 — Curl getting 31 either means he'll initially share with Fabian Moreau and have to change if he makes the roster, or that Moreau will be donning something else in 2020. Stay tuned to this developing story.

James Smith-Williams, No. 72 — Ending up in the 70s for a pass rusher is rough. Very rough. 72 brings to mind an offensive tackle or guard. If he makes the cut, trying to find a number in the 90s would be prudent.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/chase-young-and-other-seven-redskins-rookies-now-have-their-nfl-numbers

Peter Hailey (who wrote the "article" must have forgotten about a pass rusher that wore #72...here in fact...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fantasypros.com/2020/04/2020-nfl-draft-emoji-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/amp/

Washington 

1 (2). Chase Young (DE – Ohio State)
3 (66). Antonio Gibson (WR – Memphis)
4 (108). Saahdiq Charles (OL – LSU)
4 (142). Antonio Gandy-Golden (WR – Liberty)
5 (156). Keith Ismael (C – San Diego State)
5 (162). Khaleke Hudson (LB – Michigan)
7 (216). Kamren Curl (S – Arkansas)
7 (229). James Smith-Williams (DE – N.C. State)

Draft grade: 😵

Washington’s draft class looks so good it is almost hypnotic. They landed the most talented player in the 2020 NFL Draft in Chase Young at second overall, a player that promises to catapult their defense from good to playoff-contending. Saahdiq Charles was a steal in the fourth round, and Keith Ismael was another strong value in the fifth. One has to forgive Washington for reaching on Antonio Gibson, as they were still able to snare the arguably more talented Antonio Gandy-Golden in the fourth round. Hudson and Curl both have solid enough upside to make the team, leaving fans to wonder this regime managed to get things so right

16 minutes ago, redskinss said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fantasypros.com/2020/04/2020-nfl-draft-emoji-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/amp/

Washington 

1 (2). Chase Young (DE – Ohio State)
3 (66). Antonio Gibson (WR – Memphis)
4 (108). Saahdiq Charles (OL – LSU)
4 (142). Antonio Gandy-Golden (WR – Liberty)
5 (156). Keith Ismael (C – San Diego State)
5 (162). Khaleke Hudson (LB – Michigan)
7 (216). Kamren Curl (S – Arkansas)
7 (229). James Smith-Williams (DE – N.C. State)

Draft grade: 😵

Washington’s draft class looks so good it is almost hypnotic. They landed the most talented player in the 2020 NFL Draft in Chase Young at second overall, a player that promises to catapult their defense from good to playoff-contending. Saahdiq Charles was a steal in the fourth round, and Keith Ismael was another strong value in the fifth. One has to forgive Washington for reaching on Antonio Gibson, as they were still able to snare the arguably more talented Antonio Gandy-Golden in the fourth round. Hudson and Curl both have solid enough upside to make the team, leaving fans to wonder this regime managed to get things so right

I'd be a bit more impressed if he wasn't pollyanish toward most teams in his write-ups.

I posted this in the 2021 draft thread too. It’s about the selection order in a supplementary draft. I though we would blind ballot at #2 slot. This implies otherwise but would remain top 10. Who’s knows which is factually correct?

I know prospects have to petition to get in, but are there clear rules of eligibility that would make it ‘easy’ to compile a list of possible entrants? 

Might be a good discussion subject if a number of highly touted prospects look to get into a supp draft, if the league still runs one...

Teams are divided into three groups based on their performance during the previous season. Teams that won six or fewer games form one group, non-playoff teams that won more than six games form a second, and playoff teams third.  A lottery determines the draft order within each group and teams with worse records have a greater chance of drawing a higher pick.

With rumors of the college season being "different" - Meaning changing schedules to account for a more local travel situation, pushing the entire season into 2021 or a shortened season, I think the talk of the Supplemental Draft has been undervalued for sure.

There may be some players that declare now. If the college season occurs inside of 2021, there will be some players that opt out to stay healthy for the NFL. 

I think its possibly we could see a more active supplemental draft - but the rules make it more difficult to participate.

Where you take a player in the supplemental, you lose that draft pick in the 2021 Draft.

It's a bidding system, so I could see some guys declaring now and teams throwing Round 4-7 picks at some of these prospects, depending on who declares. If Leatherwood declared I'd throw my 2021 2nd at him right now. It's tough to give up the 1. But if you told me next April/May that we would up with, say, Sewell and Leatherwood? Or Chase and Leatherwood? Or yada and Leatherwood as our first 2 picks I'd be ecstatic. 

I'd bid lower but I think other teams will be on the radar for a guy like that. 

Eligibility seems to be basically the same as the NFL draft. So anyone who could have declared for the 2020 Draft can declare for the Supplemental. 

The caveat to eligibility is that it seems that it's geared towards players who may be unable to return for their next college season due to eligibility for their seasons. Typically, that's suspensions or academic issues.

But with the coronavirus that could be a different story. It all depends on how the NFL handles it.

My guess? They'll keep the eligibility the exact same in order to keep the 21 Draft Class strong. If they allow anyone who is nervous about a possible season cancellation to declare for the supplemental they basically ravage next year's draft. 

It's explained here: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-supplemental-draft-explained-2019-eligible-players-pick-history/1hzuye9ag3v321c28ohd76e5ko

What is the NFL supplemental draft?

The reason players are rarely picked in the NFL supplemental draft is simple. The format is such that a team forfeits a pick in the following year's draft if it chooses to select a player in the supplemental draft. Why give up, say, a third-round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft for a player who was eligible for but didn't enter the 2019 NFL Draft?

Unless that player is a talent like Josh Gordon, who was picked in the 2012 supplemental draft, it's a waste of a future draft pick. After all, if a player who has entered the supplemental draft does not get selected, he immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent and is free to sign with any team.

Here is the NFL's explanation of its supplemental draft. We'll expand on it below.

"In July, the league may hold one supplemental draft for players whose eligibility has changed since the NFL Draft. A player may not bypass the NFL Draft to be eligible for the supplemental draft.

"Teams do not have to participate in the supplemental draft; if they choose to do so, they may bid for the player by telling the league the round in which they would like to take a specific player. If no other club bids on that player, they are awarded the player and lose a pick in the following year’s NFL Draft that corresponds with the round in which they were awarded the player.

"If multiple teams submit bids for the player, the highest bidder is awarded that player and loses the corresponding draft pick."

Yes I can see the supp draft becoming a hot topic.

Also, in reality that becomes very tactical. It’s pretty much a wasted application for player ‘A’ if it’s clear he’s an exceptional talent going first pick (if we picked lower] and is going to get snagged before you. So you would have to consider targeting Player ‘B’ who you could realistically get thereafter.

Would be intriguing if there was an upturn in numbers for a supp draft, and we are in a relatively strong selection position.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yes I can see the supp draft becoming a hot topic.

Also, in reality that becomes very tactical. It’s pretty much a wasted application for player ‘A’ if it’s clear he’s an exceptional talent going first pick (if we picked lower] and is going to get snagged before you. So you would have to consider targeting Player ‘B’ who you could realistically get thereafter.

Would be intriguing if there was an upturn in numbers for a supp draft, and we are in a relatively strong selection position.

Again, it depends on what the NFL does. And I strongly doubt they allow the virus to be considered a change in eligibility. They'd cannibalize the 2021 Draft. 

It would be fun if the Supplemental was changed to a special draft situation where it was 1 round and players that were eligible for last year's draft can declare and ever team gets a pick without cutting into next year's pick supply.

Issue there is if too many guys declare then there are going to be some giant UDFA names out there free to choose their own teams. So that won't happen, either. 

Going back a page or two to the TE vs Saahdiq Charles conversation, I would very much prefer Charles to any of the TE's in this year's group. I think Charles has a chance to be a very good starting LT for us and I actually think he could start for us and do well this year. And the positional value is so much better at LT than TE. 

On 4/21/2020 at 4:10 PM, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

I have been hesitant to mention this because it is not first hand knowledge...but I know two people "fairly close" to Kmet and the impression I got was that he entered the draft this year, in part, because he received information that was favorable to him being a top 40-50 player.  Like I said...not sure if true but we'll see soon.  

I'm pulling a little bit of a @volsmet here...but...the Bears did pick him at #43 😉

Just wanted to complain one last time about how good the Cowboys' draft was. Has there ever been a better draft picking 17th? I'm dead serious. I'm not sure I've seen one I like better. 

Ceedee Lamb, Trevon Diggs, Neville Gallimore, Reggie Robinson, Tyler Biadasz, Bradlee Anae. That draft class is the kind that could keep them at the top of the NFCE for a long time.

Can anyone name a draft class that they liked better at the 17th slot, at the time of the draft?

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Just wanted to complain one last time about how good the Cowboys' draft was. Has there ever been a better draft picking 17th? I'm dead serious. I'm not sure I've seen one I like better. 

Ceedee Lamb, Trevon Diggs, Neville Gallimore, Reggie Robinson, Tyler Biadasz, Bradlee Anae. That draft class is the kind that could keep them at the top of the NFCE for a long time.

Can anyone name a draft class that they liked better at the 17th slot, at the time of the draft?

Yes, on paper it looks good, but at this point all we really know is they drafted players who fell, so in hindsight that's always going to look like an amazing draft.

Do you know how easily I could have made almost their entire draft?

And I know almost nothing of college prospects besides what I read here.

Ceedee lamb was a gimme and most of the rest of their picks were all "best available" for a considerable time before they became cowboys. 

Literally a 3rd grader can draft mels best available every time their on the clock you dont even need a scouting department for that.

There's way more to the draft and team building than just waiting for your pick and taking the consensus best talent left on the board.

I'm not saying the cowboys didn't have a good draft, and I'm not saying you cant accrue a decent amount of talent that way but maybe the reason everybody says their one of the most talented teams in the league every year and they still seem to finish around .500 is because there's more to winning than just trying to amass talent without regard for how they fit in a system or how they'll jell together. 

Time will tell but every year theres a consensus as to how each player ranks in a draft and every year there are dozens of players who fall and are drafted as "steals" and they don't work out, and then there are "reaches" who do work out.

Just because the cowboys got the most "steals" by a huge margin doesn't mean they had a phenomenal draft and we should crown them champions now.

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Ceedee Lamb, Trevon Diggs, Neville Gallimore, Reggie Robinson, Tyler Biadasz, Bradlee Anae. That draft class is the kind that could keep them at the top of the NFCE for a long time

yep, sadly that is a fantastic draft haul.

Frustratingly little insight in those takes.  Source One's take on AGG was just dumb as Hell.  Sounded like some Grudenesque nonsense.

Sometimes I wonder how a few teams can seem to always be so far ahead of everyone else. Always. And then I read stuff like the takes from source one or listen to Mike Tannenbaum pontificate on the radio and am filled with the mortifying thought that the majority of NFL front offices are filled with executives and vps and managers like them.

I'd rather listen to the smart coaches talk about team building and evaluation than the dumb scouts and executives.  I learn more from listening to Urban Meyer talk football for five minutes than I could from a lifetime spent shadowing Tannenbaum.  ****, even dumb coaches like Rex Ryan can give me better takes and insight despite having so little ability to see the big picture.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:57 AM, volsmet said:

Dallas had one of the best drafts I’ve ever seen.

They and Minny and Baltimore killed it IMO.  Most of us love (me included) Kyle Smith.  But I have to reluctantly admit, Will McClay is a much bigger name around the league (Kyle ultimately might catch up) and is reaching Ozzie Newsome level status. 

I liked this draft but not loved it initially like I did the previous 2 drafts.  But I still think its a good draft.   I notice this draft isn't as well received as the recent previous ones from the draft geek types.  They haven't panned it but most don't think it stood out.  Not that this means anything.

A dude from PFF last week gave his take on it.  His thought was Gibson was a reach (I disagree), he liked Gandy Golden but didn't love him but thought it was good value in the 4th.  He didn't think much of S. Charles as a player with or without character issues but was OK with the pick as to where they took them.

I haven't really dived in completely into the later round picks, whom I didn't explore before the draft.  But from what I've watched, I think I like Hudson more than most.  Seems like numerous draft geek types deem him likely as a pure special teams guy.  But personally, I love the motor he plays with and his versatility including rushing the passer.   I wasn't taken by Curl.  I got to watch Ismael.

The Athletic piece is an interesting read. Here are my thoughts, after some time to digest. I will say I did love the draft, but I am going to try my best to take a skeptic note on some to overtake the homer-ism:

1st: Chase Young (A+) - No brainer pick that elevates the defense to elite level in terms of talent.

3.2: Antonio Gibson (B) - I really like the player potential but do agree that 66 was probably a bit early. If he's your guy, then go get him, but even if he pans out as a really good gadget back/WR type, early 3rd is a bit early IMO.

4.2: Saahdiq Charles (A+) - This was my guy all draft process. I figured he'd be in range for our picks and worth the risk. I think he's at worst a high-level starting LG and at best your future LT. Young (not 21 until December), tons of upside.

4.36: Antonio Gandy-Golden (B) - Really liked this pick ... talent fit the range we picked him. I think he could be the WR2 in this offense over time, but at worst will be a back-end contributor ... your #3 outside WR behind Terry and Harmon.

5.9: Keith Ismael (B+) - Seems like good value and he's likely our future starting Center who could be quite good. A really good add in the 5th round.

5.15: Khaleke Hudson (C+) - Probably a bit early for Hudson but we needed depth at Safety and he is versatile in that he can play the box and he can potentially play LB.

7.2: Kamren Curl (C+) - Hard to really give bad grades to 7th rounders but there are some players I probably would have preferred here instead. Curl is another safety, needed depth.

7.15: James Smith-Williams (C+) - I had never heard of him, but I can see why. He has the attributes but just didn't have a great 2019 season with the defensive scheme changes. Solid depth at the edge position, but we didn't NEED edge going into the draft and we spent our 1st round pick on an elite Edge. I would have preferred to go elsewhere, specifically TE, but my utter disbelief about the 7th round picks in live-time was somewhat mitigated by the UDFA of Thad Moss.

UDFA: Thaddeus Moss (A) - Hard not to love this addition. I think he makes the roster, and he will be a good blocker and short-game pass catches. Also has amazing hands, and will be fun to watch around the redzone. I think he makes the roster and has a chance to make an early impact. Big deal if he can do that as an UDFA.

Overall: B+ (A- factoring in UDFA)

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The Athletic piece is an interesting read. Here are my thoughts, after some time to digest. I will say I did love the draft, but I am going to try my best to take a skeptic note on

Overall: B+ (A- factoring in UDFA)

I don't hate any of it... and I think this has to be a part of it.  Moss (the best I could predict) was on a lot of draft boards, yet we are able to add him without using a pick.  Even if he doesn't stick.... Nobody bats an eye if we take him in the 5th instead of Ismail, and if there is minimal contribution, it's still not likely looked at as a failed pick, just written off on a 5th round flier at a position of need.   Bleacher Report had him going at the end of Day 2.  Sports Illustrated had Willbrook Sports Book referenced with an over/under of 94.5.  

The surgery likely hurt his draft status, but that is what it is at this point.  IMHO he makes the TE room better, and an UDFA that can upgrade a position group is a victory.  

Archived