Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

Man Terry is so cool. This culture started changing the moment we drafted Jon Allen, but sadly it takes 5-6 years of bringing in guys like him and Terry to reverse the stench that was Ashburn for the 15 years prior where we handed out money to aging vets looking for pay checks and not caring about common goals. And of course having a respectable man like Rivera heading it all is the guy you really need to roll the boulder up the mountain.

Im cautiously optimistic that this thing is heading in the right direction for the first time in a very long time.

• Like 4

Terry McLaurin is Washington’s most beloved player since Sean Taylor

There haven’t been too many universally celebrated days in Ashburn since the turn of the century, so cherish one when it happens. Terry McLaurin stood at a lectern Wednesday morning and addressed reporters about his new contract, holding up his burgundy No. 17 jersey, smiles all around. May that be a harbinger for what’s to come.

“We all know where we want to head to, and I think we’re all on the same page with that,” McLaurin said. “But we also understand that it’s going to take the work and dedication from everybody involved to get there. I want to be a part of that.”

Hard work. Dedication. Teamwork. Wanting to be in Washington. When has this kid said the wrong thing?

Find a Washington Commanders fan who is upset by the prospect that her or his team signed McLaurin, its best wide receiver, to a three-year extension worth as much as $71 million. Keep looking. And looking. Take the rest of the week. You will need it.

There’s an easy argument that McLaurin is the Commanders’ most universally adored player. Push that further. It says here that, for a variety of reasons both tangible and not, McLaurin is the franchise’s most widely admired player since … Sean Taylor?

Disagree? That’s fine. You’re not alone. When I brought up this idea, my editor, who shall remain nameless (rhymes with “Stan Deinberg”), objected — and pretty vehemently. We will get to some of the other contenders in a bit.

But in an effort to find support for this cause, I texted my pal Grant Paulsen of 106.7 the Fan. GP, being of sound mind and body, agreed with me, and if you think this topic rings familiar, it’s because Grant and co-host Danny Rouhier lifted it for a couple of segments on their Tuesday afternoon program. (Grant, of course, didn’t know I was planning a column. No worries. Sausage gets made in a variety of ways, especially in the summer.)

The case for McLaurin: Start with something he said Wednesday as he spoke about his future here — always within the parameters of what’s best for the team.

“Every time you walk through those buildings, you see those Lombardi trophies out there, and that’s at the forefront of your mind,” said McLaurin, who knows well the last of those trophies was earned 30 years ago. “And we know it just doesn’t happen overnight. It starts with the day-in, day-out approach. …

“I know it’s not just about myself, and I’m really excited to try to up my level of play this year as best as I can to help us win as many football games as I can because, at the end of the day, that’s what motivates me.”

McLaurin gets credit for that kind of better-myself-for-the-betterment-of-the-team straight talk. Everything he says comes back to winning, and there’s a sincerity that underpins it all. Coaches and athletes can smell even the faintest whiff of fraudulence. McLaurin is genuine, full stop.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/06/terry-mclaurin-commanders-popular-player/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Terry McLaurin is Washington’s most beloved player since Sean Taylor

There haven’t been too many universally celebrated days in Ashburn since the turn of the century, so cherish one when it happens. Terry McLaurin stood at a lectern Wednesday morning and addressed reporters about his new contract, holding up his burgundy No. 17 jersey, smiles all around. May that be a harbinger for what’s to come.

“We all know where we want to head to, and I think we’re all on the same page with that,” McLaurin said. “But we also understand that it’s going to take the work and dedication from everybody involved to get there. I want to be a part of that.”

Hard work. Dedication. Teamwork. Wanting to be in Washington. When has this kid said the wrong thing?

Find a Washington Commanders fan who is upset by the prospect that her or his team signed McLaurin, its best wide receiver, to a three-year extension worth as much as $71 million. Keep looking. And looking. Take the rest of the week. You will need it.

There’s an easy argument that McLaurin is the Commanders’ most universally adored player. Push that further. It says here that, for a variety of reasons both tangible and not, McLaurin is the franchise’s most widely admired player since … Sean Taylor?

Disagree? That’s fine. You’re not alone. When I brought up this idea, my editor, who shall remain nameless (rhymes with “Stan Deinberg”), objected — and pretty vehemently. We will get to some of the other contenders in a bit.

But in an effort to find support for this cause, I texted my pal Grant Paulsen of 106.7 the Fan. GP, being of sound mind and body, agreed with me, and if you think this topic rings familiar, it’s because Grant and co-host Danny Rouhier lifted it for a couple of segments on their Tuesday afternoon program. (Grant, of course, didn’t know I was planning a column. No worries. Sausage gets made in a variety of ways, especially in the summer.)

The case for McLaurin: Start with something he said Wednesday as he spoke about his future here — always within the parameters of what’s best for the team.

“Every time you walk through those buildings, you see those Lombardi trophies out there, and that’s at the forefront of your mind,” said McLaurin, who knows well the last of those trophies was earned 30 years ago. “And we know it just doesn’t happen overnight. It starts with the day-in, day-out approach. …

“I know it’s not just about myself, and I’m really excited to try to up my level of play this year as best as I can to help us win as many football games as I can because, at the end of the day, that’s what motivates me.”

McLaurin gets credit for that kind of better-myself-for-the-betterment-of-the-team straight talk. Everything he says comes back to winning, and there’s a sincerity that underpins it all. Coaches and athletes can smell even the faintest whiff of fraudulence. McLaurin is genuine, full stop.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/07/06/terry-mclaurin-commanders-popular-player/

Some will disagree with me Im sure. But I agree with this 100%. Id argue RG3 had the chance to be that for sure. But I dont think anybody had a single bad word to say about this deal including media. i dont think i heard word of negativity about it. Now is Terry on the same type of trajectory as Sean was? No I dont think so. Sean if he had stayed on the current trajectory he was on was top 5 if not goat at his position. Terry if he plays his entire career here and gets legit qb play could be the best wr in franchise history though

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Some will disagree with me Im sure. But I agree with this 100%. Id argue RG3 had the chance to be that for sure. But I dont think anybody had a single bad word to say about this deal including media. i dont think i heard word of negativity about it. Now is Terry on the same type of trajectory as Sean was? No I dont think so. Sean if he had stayed on the current trajectory he was on was top 5 if not goat at his position. Terry if he plays his entire career here and gets legit qb play could be the best wr in franchise history though

RG3 was on pace to surpass Sean Taylor. But that quickly fell apart.

Terry being the best franchise WR is a pretty high bar when the franchise has several HoF WR's. That would be enough I think.  Longevity of greatness to make the HoF would make him more beloved.

I can't think of anyone else who could qualify. Chase Young has the physical talent that Sean Taylor did, but not that same "I'm going to find a way to win" mindset Taylor seemed to tap into. So he's the next closest if he turns it around. Trent Williams had the talent, but not that "it" factor.

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Trent Williams had the talent, but not that "it" factor.

I would physically fight you over this if I could. Dude was a monster here. Only issue for me is it ended on bad terms and im very much a 'Sorry, not on my team so i hate you now' type of guy. But dude was a baller. I know it was immature but seeing him slap that loud mouth across the face after that loss made me feel so, so much better. And I remember us drafting him and people saying there was a better tackle in the draft. Then the games started and he was eating people alive. 

I will fight you. Dont try me lol 

Edit: Terry is definitely above Trent and just below Taylor imo. When I have other fans all unanimously laugh at the Cowboys fan in my house for even questioning if hes a top 10 WR today....feels good man. 

Edit2: And they all mentioned to a man his attitude is what sets him over the top. Other fans. They know lol

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I would physically fight you over this if I could. Dude was a monster here. Only issue for me is it ended on bad terms and im very much a 'Sorry, not on my team so i hate you now' type of guy. But dude was a baller. I know it was immature but seeing him slap that loud mouth across the face after that loss made me feel so, so much better. And I remember us drafting him and people saying there was a better tackle in the draft. Then the games started and he was eating people alive. 

Edit: Terry is definitely above Trent and just below Taylor imo. When I have other fans all unanimously laugh at the Cowboys fan in my house for even questioning if hes a top 10 WR today....feels good man. 

Edit2: And they all mentioned to a man his attitude is what sets him over the top. Other fans. They know lol

Not only to mention Trent received a 99 in madden this year. Dude is a straight beast

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Trent will be playing another 5 years at an elite level. Some dudes are just different. Every bit of a freak talent as Sean Taylor. 

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

knowing this forum, i'm pretty sure there are a few who are upset.

They finally updated over the cap w/ his numbers. If this is right it looks like we slapped a 2026 void year on that bad boy.

Finally getting w/ the times. Good stuff

7 Mil hit this year. 10 Mil Hit next. 24, 23 then a 5.6 in the void year

I'd paste the chart but it came out wonky

https://overthecap.com/player/terry-mclaurin/7867

Trent could have been the face of the franchise, he was certainly developing into one seeing as that he was the one constant pro-bowl level player we had, but it seemed like the sports media never gave him the credit he deserved until he ended up on the 49ers.  He's now being referred to as the best LT in the NFL by a lot of TV guys, but when he was on this team he wasn't even called the best LT in the division by a lot of the same people. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Llevron said:

I don't know how I'd put an echelon of my favorite Washington football players. Your post kind of made me think about that.

1. Sean Taylor

2. Darrell Green

After that it's a horserace. Safe to say no QBs are anywhere in my top 10... or even top 25 possibly.

Terry and Curl might be in my top 25 (or higher).

In no order:

Cooley

Portis

Tana

Fletcher

Ken Harvey

Art Monk

Samuels

Samuels may sneak in there, too. 

Gary Clark

Stephen Davis

I keep thinking of new players to add. I hate you for this. :ols:

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I don't know how I'd put an echelon of my favorite Washington football players. Your post kind of made me think about that.

1. Sean Taylor

2. Darrell Green

After that it's a horserace. Safe to say no QBs are anywhere in my top 10... or even top 25 possibly.

In no order:

Cooley

Portis

Tana

Fletcher

Ken Harvey

Art Monk

Samuels

Gary Clark

Stephen Davis

Man I don’t know… Doug Williams pulling off that Super Bowl was a hugely defining moment for my fandom.  To each their own though of course!

And to get weird for a second, I’d seriously consider having Mark Moseley and Tress Way in my top 25.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

1. Sean Taylor

2. Darrell Green

In no order:

Cooley

Portis

Tana

Fletcher

Ken Harvey

Art Monk

Samuels

Gary Clark

Stephen Davis

I have been texting my homie about this since the post. It’s a fun little distraction honestly. 

Your list reminds me of how late I was to the Skins party!   

It’s a good story, but I’ll save you the time (today) and say I didn’t watch football at all until 2008. I shared a cubical with a 60-something y/o giants fan. So you can imagine how that season in particular went. What a sad time that was lol. 

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Man I don’t know… Doug Williams pulling off that Super Bowl was a hugely defining moment for my fandom.  To each their own though of course!

And to get weird for a second, I’d seriously consider having Mark Moseley and Tress Way in my top 25.

This might should be a thread of its own honestly. Someone make it. Do a good job and give me the credit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Trent could have been the face of the franchise, he was certainly developing into one seeing as that he was the one constant pro-bowl level player we had, but it seemed like the sports media never gave him the credit he deserved until he ended up on the 49ers.  He's now being referred to as the best LT in the NFL by a lot of TV guys, but when he was on this team he wasn't even called the best LT in the division by a lot of the same people. 

The face of NFL players when discussing Trent tells all you need to know. He strings together a couple more All pros he might have an argument for greatest all time at LT. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It’s a good story, but I’ll save you the time (today) and say I didn’t watch football at all until 2008. I shared a cubical with a 60-something y/o giants fan. So you can imagine how that season in particular went. What a sad time that was lol. 

Ooh so I have 3 years of miserable skins football on you. Woo!!! 

You cant get suspended for weed, downplay dog fighting, sit out and fight your front office and become the face of the franchise.

Going to a new city and being a team player can revive your image.

AB could be considered the greatest WR of all time, but hes a jerk off, so hes never even in the conversation. 

That's what makes terry and Allen so special. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

They finally updated over the cap w/ his numbers. If this is right it looks like we slapped a 2026 void year on that bad boy.

Finally getting w/ the times. Good stuff

7 Mil hit this year. 10 Mil Hit next. 24, 23 then a 5.6 in the void year

I'd paste the chart but it came out wonky

https://overthecap.com/player/terry-mclaurin/7867

image.thumb.png.3382e300623cdeabd3436d107a239396.png

Here you go.  This is Spotrac, which I prefer for no particular reason.

What I like: 

- there isn't a "poison pill" year in the contract which would force the team to release or re-negotiate So the AAV posted is the ACTUAL AAV.  Unlike the ... (I can't remember which, Brown or Moore, I think Brown) contract which had a $31m final year which was a poison pill

- They kept the first 2 years cap hits at <$10m

- The cap is supposed to significantly increase in 2024, which should offset some of the additional cost which starts in that year.

What I don't love:

- While I liked keeping the first 2 years cap lower, I don't like the salary jumping from $1.8M to $15M. That's a huge cap hit jump.  

- I don't love the voided year, but it's not a big amount, and if they extend him again (which is somewhat likely) that becomes a non-issue.  But if you are going to use a voided year, then this is the player to do it on.  We have a few others, J. D. McKissic has 3 voided years each with a $500k hit. Curtis Samuel has 2 voided years at $2.4M each (I really don't love that, to be honest).  So it's not the first player we've used it on.  

@Skinsinparadise did you listen to Kevin Sheehan's podcast about the most beloved article?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What I like: 

- there isn't a "poison pill" year in the contract which would force the team to release or re-negotiate So the AAV posted is the ACTUAL AAV.  Unlike the ... (I can't remember which, Brown or Moore, I think Brown) contract which had a $31m final year which was a poison pill

- The cap is supposed to significantly increase in 2024, which should offset some of the additional cost which starts in that year.

What I don't love:

- While I liked keeping the first 2 years cap lower, I don't like the salary jumping from $1.8M to $15M. That's a huge cap hit jump.  

- I don't love the voided year, but it's not a big amount, and if they extend him again (which is somewhat likely) that becomes a non-issue.  But if you are going to use a voided year, then this is the player to do it on.  We have a few others, J. D. McKissic has 3 voided years each with a $500k hit. Curtis Samuel has 2 voided years at $2.4M each (I really don't love that, to be honest).  So it's not the first player we've used it on.  

@Skinsinparadise did you listen to Kevin Sheehan's podcast about the most beloved article?

I know the bottom portion was directed at SIP but figured id respond anyways. I didnt listen to podcast but catch the beginning on this segment on the radio show yesterday and it took all of 2.5 (small exaggeration) seconds for the conversation to get directed towards Snyder. 

As far as cap goes. Im pretty sure ive seen several places where the cap is supposed to jump from 208 this year to 234ish next year and then 250 in 2024. Yeah takes a big jump but i dont foresee it hindering us in anyway 

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What I like: 

What I don't love:

Not yet as for Sheehan's podcast but I've listened to him on the radio recently and in the past about Terry.  Sheehan loves to play Terry down, he in a passive aggressive way likes to make the case he's overrated.  Sometimes he backs off of that but ultimately returns to that point of view. 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not yet as for Sheehan's podcast but I've listened to him on the radio recently and in the past about Terry.  Sheehan loves to play Terry down, he in a passive aggressive way likes to make the case he's overrated.  Sometimes he backs off of that but ultimately returns to that point of view. 

I'm not sure what Sheehan wants out of a WR with our QB play.

My guess for an example Sheehan might point to...Terry is on a deep fade and slowly drifting to the sideline. Heinicke just has to put it anywhere over the sideline shoulder with 5-10 yards to work with. Instead it missed 5-10 yards inside to where Diggs had to do nothing but keep running in a straight line. He was out of position with no feel for how Terry was drifting. Decent ball placement and it's a catch Diggs can't contest. Instead Terry is on the wrong end of a highlight reel trying to break up the Int.

If Terry was 4 inches taller he could have broken up that Int. Is that Sheehan's prototype, a Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson type? I know he was super high on Josh Doctson (as was I), so that ability to sky defenders and make an awful throw right is probably his #1 trait?

28 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'm not sure what Sheehan wants out of a WR with our QB play.

My guess for an example Sheehan might point to...Terry is on a deep fade and slowly drifting to the sideline. Heinicke just has to put it anywhere over the sideline shoulder with 5-10 yards to work with. Instead it missed 5-10 yards inside to where Diggs had to do nothing but keep running in a straight line. He was out of position with no feel for how Terry was drifting. Decent ball placement and it's a catch Diggs can't contest. Instead Terry is on the wrong end of a highlight reel trying to break up the Int.

If Terry was 4 inches taller he could have broken up that Int. Is that Sheehan's prototype, a Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson type? I know he was super high on Josh Doctson (as was I), so that ability to sky defenders and make an awful throw right is probably his #1 trait?

I haven't listened to his podcast yet.  but from other listens, he's a bit all over the place on Terry.  In short he thinks he's very good but doesn't think he's great -- and believes that he's elevated here because the lack of general star power so our very good feels like great. 

As for Dotson, yes he liked him.  I did, too.  He had Cooley on his podcast and Cooley told him that Dotson would dictate the opposing defense coverage whereas Terry according to Cooley does not dictate coverage  Sheehan likes citing that point from Cooley.   Judging by how often Terry is double covered which is a lot, i posted those stats on this thread mulitple times -- as much as I like Cooley I think he's wrong on this. 

Personally, I was a big Terry guy before we drafted him and I am an even bigger fan now.    I do think he's great.

• Like 2