Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

20 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The problem is drafting injured guys who stink. Thompson and Reed were still worthwhile draft picks considering we got multiple years of quality play out of them which is good value for mid round choices.

I don't know. I think there's this whole matrix of players skills. There's the injuries, the on the field stuff, the intelligence, the behavioral stuff, the leadership, etc. It seems like we felt like we had players that were the it if they weren't injured (Love comes to mind but also that LB from Alabama). Then either they're never recovered or when they are we just find out that they're no good. Then there's Guice who had so much talent and showed it but had an injury but you couldn't believe and then we find he's allegedly a sexual predator. There's the guy we're wanted to draft in 2017 who SF got and cut so we got him but he got hurt again. 

I go back to the saying that the number one ability is availability. I wasn't in favor of drafting the Alabama WR this year because I want to be able to count on him and this injury is something that we'll probably hear about got l for the next three years. I just feel like we have been bad gamblers with this whole injury thing and as much as I liked that philosophy in 2000, by 2022 I'm so over it. 

On 7/11/2022 at 9:16 AM, Warhead36 said:

The problem is drafting injured guys who stink. Thompson and Reed were still worthwhile draft picks considering we got multiple years of quality play out of them which is good value for mid round choices.

Love was the disappointment.  He didn't stink, but he never played.

The best example of "don't draft the injured guy" is the player of which we do not speak from the draft we do not mention.  If anybody does not know who I'm referring to, you should probably go comb your hair and think about it for a bit.  

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The best example of "don't draft the injured guy" is the player of which we do not speak from the draft we do not mention.  If anybody does not know who I'm referring to, you should probably go comb your hair and think about it for a bit.  

Speaking of love, is he even on an NFL roster anymore? 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Speaking of love, is he even on an NFL roster anymore? 

No. His knee never got healthy enough.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

What's maddening is the medical staff for the team said his knee was done, they thought he shouldn't be drafted. But ol'Vinny/Danny combo knew better.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah but we also got Devin Thomas and Fred Davis from that legendary draft haul, so that balances it all out.   :ols:

• Haha 5

On 7/11/2022 at 9:16 AM, Warhead36 said:

Whenever I see the name Reed, I instantly think Reed Doughty. Screw you guys, I love me some Doughty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Whenever I see the name Reed, I instantly think Reed Doughty. Screw you guys, I love me some Doughty.

I'm with ya.

Reed was a good player and a better dude. His only crime was not being Taylor.

Its not his fault a 6th round draft pick aint winnin' a jump ball vs Andre Johnson.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm with ya.

Its not his fault a 6th round draft pick aint winnin' a jump ball vs Andre Johnson.

That's a name that's going to fade into time. Decent chance he didn't quite do enough to make the HoF. Barely any postseason experience. 11th all time in yards but 48th in touchdowns. Had some terrible QB play at times.

Other guys ahead of him have better HoF shots. Torry Holt somehow isn't in, and he's got a better case. Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne, etc are also candidates. After Terrell Davis got in, there's a push to have Sterling Sharpe due to high profile but shortened careers. Sharpe has almost as many TD's as Andre Johnson but 81 fewer games played.

Does Reed Doughty's legacy improve if Andre Johnson makes the HoF? Losing that jump ball against some non-HoF receiver? Psch, scrub.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm with ya.

Reed Doughty was exactly the type of player coaches fall in love with: try hard "super smart" great practice players.  

But he lacked physical skills.  

I had the same issues with Reed as I do with TH, and I had with Ryan Grant.  They are guys you want on your team but they can't be starters.

The crime of Reed Doughty is he never should have been a starting safety.  He wasn't supposed to be, and then he had to be.  And that's not his fault at all.  He tried like hell all the time, but he just wasn't big or fast enough to be a starter in the NFL.  That's not his fault.  

It just took the team WAY too long to replace him.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Reed was a classic for us. A bad back up thrust into a starting role on a bad team, but a feel good story for our loser fan base to feel good about something. 

14 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah but we also got Devin Thomas and Fred Davis from that legendary draft haul, so that balances it all out.   :ols:

It's not like there were any good receivers we could have drafted if we didn't trade back.  :ols:

worst draft ever

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Reed Doughty was exactly the type of player coaches fall in love with: try hard "super smart" great practice players.  

But he lacked physical skills.  

I had the same issues with Reed as I do with TH, and I had with Ryan Grant.  They are guys you want on your team but they can't be starters.

The crime of Reed Doughty is he never should have been a starting safety.  He wasn't supposed to be, and then he had to be.  And that's not his fault at all.  He tried like hell all the time, but he just wasn't big or fast enough to be a starter in the NFL.  That's not his fault.  

It just took the team WAY too long to replace him.  

The thing that not many people know about Reed is that he is severely hearing impaired. To play at the level he did in the NFL was something of a miracle and he was a stud on special teams. Starter? Not by a long shot but not much he could do following the death of ST may he rest in peace.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reed was a classic for us. A bad back up thrust into a starting role on a bad team, but a feel good story for our loser fan base to feel good about something. 

It's not like there were any good receivers we could have drafted if we didn't trade back.  :ols:

worst draft ever

Yup still remember that game against the when ST was out injured and I vividly remember Brady just abusing poor Reed all day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

The thing that not many people know about Reed is that he is severely hearing impaired. To play at the level he did in the NFL was something of a miracle and he was a stud on special teams. Starter? Not by a long shot but not much he could do following the death of ST may he rest in peace.

I can tell you as someone who was active here at the time, everyone was aware of Doughty’s hearing impairment, it was brought up all the time. Agreed he was put in an unfair position, set up to fail. That’s how it is sometimes, especially on bad teams. Still a pretty cool career for a nobody 6th round pick though. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

On 7/14/2022 at 11:57 AM, Conn said:

I can tell you as someone who was active here at the time, everyone was aware of Doughty’s hearing impairment, it was brought up all the time. Agreed he was put in an unfair position, set up to fail. That’s how it is sometimes, especially on bad teams. Still a pretty cool career for a nobody 6th round pick though. 

For whatever reason I often forget his name when I want to bring him up and I Google “deaf Redskins safety” and he pops up. 

I should remember his name but for some  reason I have a mental block. 

I often compared him to Ryan Grant.  Coaches favorite, physically limited, put into a role they couldn’t succeed in.

But yeah great story and great career for him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

FWIW, McLaurin got a 91 rating on Madden and is the 8th highest rated WR.

I’m not sure where you’re getting that? According to this link Madden 23, he is a 90 and the 11th rated wideout. I’m not sure how Gallup and Michael Thomas are rated higher. DHop is coming off an injury and is suspended too. 

https://www.maddenratings.com/lists/wide-receivers

Edited by skinsfan93

17 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I’m not sure where you’re getting that? According to this link Madden 23, he is a 90 and the 11th rated wideout. I’m not sure how Gallup and Michael Thomas are rated higher. DHop is coming off an injury and is suspended too. 

https://www.maddenratings.com/lists/wide-receivers

That one is outdated. There was a facebook post that showed the new ratings. Adams is a 99. Kupp is a 98. Among other changes.

On 7/10/2022 at 10:02 AM, HigSkin said:

Future dynamic duo...

I know I am really late to this thread. Took a couple of months off. But both of those guys have a very similar hunger to improve. Jahan probably has better natural hands than Terry IMO. But Terry is a straight up beast with contested catches. Terry runs better routes right now as well. But Jahan is no slouch in that department either. And Jahan is better at RAC as well.  They actually remind me of Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders a bit. Clark was with the team a year before Sanders got here. And Sanders first season here was nothing special. But once they got in a groove working together they could not be stopped. Both of those guys loved to work hard as well. All we need now is another Art Monk.....Not gonna be easy to find that guy again though. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I know I am really late to this thread. Took a couple of months off. But both of those guys have a very similar hunger to improve. Jahan probably has better natural hands than Terry IMO. But Terry is a straight up beast with contested catches. Terry runs better routes right now as well. But Jahan is no slouch in that department either. And Jahan is better at RAC as well.  They actually remind me of Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders a bit. Clark was with the team a year before Sanders got here. And Sanders first season here was nothing special. But once they got in a groove working together they could not be stopped. Both of those guys loved to work hard as well. All we need now is another Art Monk.....Not gonna be easy to find that guy again though. 

The fan in me wants to respond “there will never be another Monk”, but…

if I’m looking for a good-sized, possession-type receiver that can still make some plays down the field, who also has a heck of a work ethic and very good hands (and we exclude Logan Thomas because he’s a TE)… I think the closest guy we’ve got currently is Kelvin Harmon.

and no, I don’t think he makes the team (though I’m not ruling it out either)

Anyway, I dig your comparison

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

A big difference between them for me is strength and size.  Terry is a truck, like 210 and capable of scrapping with all but the biggest DBs.  Dotson is like 30 pounds lighter but only an inch shorter and I think he's going to have a tough adjustment to the average strength level of NFL DBs ahead of him.  According to this, he's in the 6 percentile of WR prospects for weight: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jahan-dotson

Terry isn't big but he's solidly above average in weight and strength: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/terry-mclaurin

But one reason for optimism with Dotson despite his size is that the passing game has evolved to where players with his body type are far more common today.  Almost all of his comparables in that mockdraftable link are receivers drafted in the last four drafts, and many of them were top 50 picks.  You don't have to be as strong as you used to in order to play the position, so long as you can fly.

• Like 2

Starting to get excited thinking about Terry, Dotson, Samuel and Logan Thomas on the field together with either Gibson or McKissic coming out of the backfield. Turner better be working hard at creating mismatches because we have multiple guys who can take it to the house.

• Like 1

Jeez my head hurts after this recent encounter with an idiot about mclaurin (clearly he’s a commanders/skins hater LOL. 

It’s on a FB post about mclaurin being a top 10 WR in madden 23. So someone says “he got paid so now people are noticing”. Then the idiot chimes in with (in all caps, mind you) “once they get paid. They disappear”

my response? “mclaurin won’t. If you think he will, you don’t know anything about the guy. Plus he’ll want that final payday when he turns 30. Yeah. He’s not disappearing”

and his BRILLIANT reply (that’s since been deleted, or he blocked me….)? “Yeah ok buttercup. Because he’s a skin, he will disappear. Deal with it snowflake” (again, written in all caps lmaoooooo).

after I said “sooo we just throwing out words without knowing the meaning?”, he must’ve blocked me. 

fools gonna fool 🤷🏻‍♂️

There are multiple popular sayings that apply here, one about idiots dragging you down to their level and beating you with experience, another about having to get down into the mud to wrestle with pigs…but the main lesson here is don’t read, never mind respond, to the comments under tweets about dumb **** like Madden ratings. 

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Conn said:

There are multiple popular sayings that apply here, one about idiots dragging you down to their level and beating you with experience, another about having to get down into the mud to wrestle with pigs…but the main lesson here is don’t read, never mind respond, to the comments under tweets about dumb **** like Madden ratings. 

I deleted Twitter years ago. It is nothing but a cesspool. I can see any tweet about football I need to see on this site. I will never go back there again. 

• Like 1