Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

One of these guys for  pick 4.10 - order of preference.

Chauncey-Gardner - FS

Butler - WR

Harmon - WR

Deionte Thompson - FS

Michael Jordan  - G/C

Ross Pierschbacher - G/C

Oruwariye CB

David Edwards - OT

Benzschawal - OG

Prince - OT

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Priority imo is always QB > Both Lines > everyone else.  A dominant OLine will win more games than great wideouts.  A dominant dline makes for a better defense than a great secondary.  I’m never against the redskins stacking either line,  

Yeah despite my posts previously.. we do NOT have Brady on the roster so we will need to priortize draft OG tomorrow...  Getting stronger OL will allow our QB to maybe have some short term great production from our QBs ala Rypian but lets get real.. great OL is not going to make Keenam/McCoy turn magically into Brady...  

Anyways I am all about getting setting BPA OG and TE that can block with passing game upside tomorrow...  After those any way to add speed anywhere on the field is great as well...

4 minutes ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Brady averaged 2.59 seconds to throw this season, third-quickest in the NFL. The quick-trigger meant he was pressured on just 17.9 percent of dropbacks, fewest in the NFL -- New England allowed 8.6 percent pressure rate to interior pass rushers this season (fourth-lowest in NFL). TB12 has taken the quick-pass to another level in the playoffs. He averaged 2.33 seconds to throw versus the Chargers and 2.51 seconds against K.C., per Next Gen Stats.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001014420/article/super-question-can-rams-get-pressure-on-tom-brady

Okay how about career when Brady had a deep game. He doesn't have that deep game anymore because of age. So when he was throwing the ball to Randy he got the ball out in 2 secs? You can't go by one year.

Im sure he's had years with good line and not so good line, because he's been around so long. 

All I know is I've watched Brady his whole career and I'm sure some of you if not all of you have as well. He has stayed in that pocket with out being touched a lot in his career. 

Lot of starting caliber talent out there. Hakeem Butler would be a crazy pick but solid given the extra pick now. Kelvin Harmon is also a very good player to get here in r4 too. Could go Mack Wilson and Deionte Thompson. Chauncey Garder-Johnson somehow still there too. 

TE Kaden smith is a guy I like in R5. 

With 4 picks in Round 4/5 and 6/7/7 to use to maneuver around, I’m excited to see what tomorrow brings. 

And plenty of IOL guys left too. I believe Skins met a few times with Oklahoma G Dru Samia. Beau from wisconsin. Ryan Bates from Penn State. 

Lot lf OT depth guys too for those who think our OT situation is bad (it’s not)

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Lot of starting caliber talent out there. Hakeem Butler would be a crazy pick but solid given the extra pick now. Kelvin Harmon is also a very good player to get here in r4 too. Could go Mack Wilson and Deionte Thompson. Chauncey Garder-Johnson somehow still there too. 

TE Kaden smith is a guy I like in R5. 

With 4 picks in Round 4/5 and 6/7/7 to use to maneuver around, I’m excited to see what tomorrow brings. 

And plenty of IOL guys left too. I believe Skins met a few times with Oklahoma G Dru Samia. Beau from wisconsin. Ryan Bates from Penn State. 

Lot lf OT depth guys too for those who think our OT situation is bad (it’s not)

I'm a big OU fan. So alittle homerism here but I think we have to get Samia or Powers. OU has been pretty good at giving the NFL oline picks for over a decade. These are also 2 guards that helped Mayfield and Kyler go #1 overall in back to back years. 

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If we don’t go DB in Round 4 I’m intrigued by my guy Jimmy Moreland from JMU in round 5. Slot corner. But I could see an argument for putting him at FS too. 

CB Justin Love from Notre Dame is still available.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/julian-love?id=32194c4f-5613-3771-4f23-34180a3619b8

And if you’re thinking of converting a CB to safety, Iman Marshall of USC is a good candidate.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/iman-marshall?id=32194c45-5781-4565-4c54-05a05adf2682

But why bother converting to a safety when you can have Chauncey Gardner-Johnson of Florida. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chauncey-gardner-johnson?id=32194741-5221-1068-8e9a-b4c139418bfd

Not sure why Love has slipped. Maybe a slow(er) 40 time?  Chauncey has also slipped. Both would be very good value selections IMO. I might be persuaded to draft either of these two instead of a guard. And I think we desperately need a guard.

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

What's the verdict on the trade back, pretty good value? 

Well according to the latest chart we got significant value in the day one trade (+50 in our favor) but today's trade was (-5 against us) The later surprised me as I thought it was way in our favor but being within 5 pts makes it virtually even.  Yesterdays trade significantly favored us (Media is assuming our 2d will be higher next year but that is cheating the chart  you have to go by the value of the teams current true 3rd round pick). 

2 hours ago, Hogs86 said:

It does not get much better than Great Blue North Draft Report....

For quick updates for draft slotting after game day, yeah, evaluating prospects, not exactly. 

If you want to evaluate WR's, talk to rotoviz, talk to Matt Kelley, talk to Rich Hribar, Matthew Freedman, Warren Sharpe, Shawn Siegele etc. Old school draft sites were a favorite of mine since I logged onto the internet for the first time in '95, but they aren't valuable for evaluating prospects. The analytics community has come along way since those old days, and they've got a proven track record going back years and years of being just about the best in the business at evaluating playmaking positions.

Plenty of talent is still available: To have 7 draft picks left is ridiculous.  We've been I'd say pretty good at finding a few gems in these next few rounds: 

Ioannidis, Crowder, Roullier, Settle, Sprinkle, Cousins, Harvey Clemons and undrafted's too Dunbar, Sims, Everett.....I'm excited for what tomorrow can bring...

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

I am not finding anything about Butler having a knee issue.  Wondering why he has fallen this far.  I think we are pretty thin and unproven at WR and would certainly be glad to draft him.  I don't think he lasts until 112 though.

I don['t watch too much college football but from what I remember reading on Butler, he drops too many passes and telegraphs his routes (or something like that). 

Interesting write-ups about Butler...they were obviously wrong about where he should go:

Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN — With his size and his speed, ran 4.48, great athletic ability, a little inconsistent with the hands at times. That’s the only thing that would maybe push him into the second round. That’s where I see him going right now. He’s one of the Top-10 receivers in this draft. There are probably going to be 2-3 in the first and then probably 6-7 in the second round, so there are going to be a lot of second and third round receivers that are going to turn out to be like JuJu Smith-Schuster and Michael Thomas and guys like that. I think second round for Butler right now.

Todd McShay, ESPN — Hakeem, he’s just a big, physical, strong dude. He’s like a power forward in basketball. He knows how to post guys up, he’s really good in the red zone. He has some drops. I think that’s the one thing if you look at his tape and as you go through the course of the season you’d like to see a little more consistency with the focus catches, but I think in a class that has a lot of receivers like him I would put him up there near the top of these big receivers. There’s a bunch of 6-3, 6-4 wide receivers in this class, but I think Hakeem has a chance, if it’s not in the second round it’ll be early in the third, but wide receivers aren’t lasting as long as they used to and something tells me he’ll be off the board certainly in the Top 80 picks or so but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was late in the second round. 

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network — He’s one of the more difficult ones for me. I continually just keep coming back and watching more because there are a lot of things I like: 6-5 plus, he’s almost 230 pounds, he ran much faster than I anticipated, in the 4.4s. When I watch he’s a little bit of a plodding, long-strider type, he’s got a lot of dropped passed, which concerns me. But then you see some of the circus catches, I love the competitiveness he has after the catch, he just refuses to be tackled so he’s great in that regard. He’s one that people are all over the place. Some teams don’t really care for him, other teams think he’s worth a first-round pick. I think he ends up going in the second round. I think a team just has to have a role and a plan for him and you’re going to have to be able to live with some of the drops because that’s going to happen. But ultimately he’s got a really good shot at being a Top-40 pick.

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Plenty of talent is still available: To have 7 draft picks left is ridiculous.  We've been I'd say pretty good at finding a few gems in these next few rounds: 

Ioannidis, Crowder, Roullier, Settle, Sprinkle, Cousins, Harvey Clemons and undrafted's too Dunbar, Sims, Everett.....I'm excited for what tomorrow can bring...

I'm just having memories of the Charlie Casserly type drafts where we'd have a ton of picks in rounds 4-7 and wind up with a bunch of undersized, slow, effort guys who could block and tackle on specials but contribute very little to the rest of the game. 

That's changed some since 2014 with Scot but we still have some days. The thing I'd say is that how many of these 10 picks do we expect to make the roster? Didn't we have 8 last year and 10 the year before? I expect us to finally let Samaje go, maybe Sprinkle, maybe Davis, maybe JHC or Hosley if we can find replacements, but its getting to the point where we are running out of roster spots. 10 + 10 + 8 = 28. That's over half our 53 man roster, not counting the UDFAs. 

That said I would definitely use the philosophy that we've been using in these lower rounds - looking for steals and guys who have dropped for one reason or another. Are they fast guys who didn't time well at the combine? Are they injured guys who came out too early? Are they guys whose game film and tape doesn't match the numbers? Are they small school guys who aren't scouted as much? Were they outperformed by another teammate who went higher? 

I think Gruden's quote (that I posted earlier) is telling because its something we all can relate to if we play Madden - speed kills. Thats why I wasn't mad at Apke last year and why I'm not mad at Mclaurin this year. If those guys can be developed like Dunbar and Crowder were, then they can help our defense. But I think its essential to get people who have high ceilings. Who that is going forward, I don't know. Hopefully though we draft some players who can eventually start or challenge for a starting spot. 

Archived