Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

About the pick - Sick man! We finally got a special teams beast. I have been calling for this kind of player for years. Our punter is great but the gunners so average. He also brings enough receiver talents to justify a 3th rounder. 

About the trade - Fine trade. I don't feel to strong about a certain player that was still on the board. So trade back and get two players of the same level is good. 

Day 3 - I don't see a interior line guy I really like (Samia maybe). But we have a lot of picks. So just take guys you like and see if they can earn a roster spot. Deionte Thompson from 'Bama would be nice. Nijman would be a good development pick (If you can develop that).  Omenihu could be a sub 3/4 end. Blessuan Austin or Isaiah Johnson are CBs I like to develop. But I don't see any push starter guys. 

@Thinking Skins Well like I mentioned we've been pretty good lately.  How many make the team? IDK but what I do know is that it puts the whole bottom of the roster on notice, the backup OL, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th CB's, All the safety's outside of Landon, the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th WR's, the backup LB's.. So it's a good thing to continue to create competition. If I had to guess I'd say 7 of the 10 draft picks make it.  And if more do that means they've probably replaced pieces we have that haven't really progressed at this point. Either way I think it helps this football team to try and find players who can contribute.

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

You really expecting a starter out of there?  C'mon, man, that was a serious need, we need a starter and a backup at LG.

Starters can come anywhere in the draft. Not just in the first or second round.

Heck, starters can come from undrafted free agency as well.

Besides which, drafting a player in the first round does not guarantee starter material.

Even at the OL position for the Redskins (see Johnson, Andre).

Final recap on the Rosen trade / no trade:

Dolphins got him for a #2 (62 overall) + 2020 fifth rounder

So by us not making that deal, we end up with:

Haskins / Sweat / No #2 this year / No #2 next year / McLaurin

instead of

Rosen / Sweat / #2 which could have been AJ Brown, or P Campbell / #2 next year / #3 which could be McGovern or Nate Davis

Someone smarter than me please tell me what I'm missing.... was Haskins really thought of as that much better that we had to sacrifice getting our OG in the 3rd round because we had to somewhat reach for McLaurin (due to having to use our seconds to move up to get Sweat, who we could have had at 15 if we didn't take Haskins?

4 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

instead of

Rosen / Sweat / #2 which could have been AJ Brown, or P Campbell / #2 next year / #3 which could be McGovern or Nate Davis

Someone smarter than me please tell me what I'm missing.... was Haskins really thought of as that much better that we had to sacrifice getting our OG in the 3rd round because we had to somewhat reach for McLaurin (due to having to use our seconds to move up to get Sweat, who we could have had at 15 if we didn't take Haskins?

My assumption is...

We didnt expect Haskins to fall to 15

We didnt expect Sweat to fall to 26

We went into this draft with the idea that if the right guy fell, we would take them, and if they didnt, Rosen could be a day 2 transaction.  I would imagine we offered a 2nd and a 5th, or something similar, but Arizona wanted to wait.  They had to settle because we took Haskins, and the Giants took Jones.

And just for clarity, your example wouldn't include the #2 "which could have been AJ Brown, or P Campbell" because that pick likely would have been part of the trade to get Rosen.  

@ColonialWBSkinsFan I wanted Rosen bad. But it’s easy in hindsight knowing where he went and for how much, to criticize our moves. 

Realistically we would have taken Sweat at 15 if we had already traded a 2 for Rosen. 

So the comparison should be:

Rosen, Swear, McLaurin 

or

Haskins, Sweat, McLaurin 

difference being we gave up next year’s 2 which def has value,  but get an extra year of Haskins under contract. 

1 minute ago, OVCChairman said:

My assumption is...

We went into this draft with the idea that if the right guy fell, we would take them, and if they didnt, Rosen could be a day 2 transaction.  I would imagine we offered a 2nd and a 5th, or something similar, but Arizona wanted to wait.  They had to settle because we took Haskins, and the Giants took Jones.

And just for clarity, your example wouldn't include the #2 "which could have been AJ Brown, or P Campbell" because that pick likely would have been part of the trade to get Rosen.  

Not to mention the team didn't lose their second round pick this year.

They simply used it earlier when they switched picks with the Colts, and drafted Sweat.

So we didn't lose that early second round pick. It just became a late first rounder. :)

I think we will be a middling team next year. 7-9 wins. But if we struggle and put Haskins in and he flashes but we do what Arizona did and crap the bed, we will likely be positioned nicely to trade our 1st next year for some picks if we are in position to trade to a QB needy team. Obviously a lot can happen and I expect our 1st to be between 16 and 22 next year. But another “benefit” to having Haskins over Rosen is you won’t be in QB market next year and if positioned early, could reap benefits. 

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

Not to mention the team didn't lose their second round pick this year.

They simply used it earlier when they switched picks with the Colts, and drafted Sweat.

So we didn't lose that early second round pick. It just became a late first rounder. :)

right

We're out 1 draft pick.  (next year's 2nd) and we used it to leverage up to get a possibly elite pass rusher.  

16 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

My assumption is...

Yeah, duh.... the #2 would have obviously been part of the Rosen deal.... too much drinky, not enough sleepy, not enough coffee so far this AM  

10 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Yeah, duh.... the #2 would have obviously been part of the Rosen deal.... too much drinky, not enough sleepy, not enough coffee so far this AM  

i gotcha bud

and for the record, at this point I still wish we would have gotten Rosen and used 15 for a game changer, or as capital to get more picks.  Now Haskins could come out and be a star for the next 10 years and all will be forgotten.  I also get things change, so it's very likely that Arizona didnt want to play ball because they were leveraging Rosen in the hopes that someone would get desperate and the Giants taking Jones messed that up for them.  It was a risk on their part as I feel like they could have gotten more had they done the deal prior to Thursday.  I would have been willing to give up a 2 this year and next years 3 in order to get Rosen and keep 15.   I had a feeling a couple weeks ago that Arizona was going to do this and it was going to bite them in the butt. 

Hindsight being 20/20, it's possible that we we could have got Rosen, traded out of 15, got the 2nd round pick back, and still got Sweat in the early 20s.  That is where your no. 2 scenario comes into play.  Had we done that, we could have had a lot more top end options at WR or O-line. 

That all said, we have no idea how these things play out so to hold out hope that the right team gets desperate usually end up with you settling for a 2nd and a 5th for Josh Rosen when you could have gotten more.  

32 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

instead of

Rosen was terrible, Trust me he won't be any better with Miami which is another place like Washington that QB's go to fade into the sunset.I'll revisit this post at seasons end and it will all make sense.

And to answer your question, Yes Haskins was thought of as a MUCH better option than Rosen. With Haskins we really don't know , He could be a superstar out of the gate he could be mediocre with potential or he could be dreadful, like Josh Rosen was last season. Listen there is a reason the Arizona Cardinals went back to back years drafting a QB in the first round and then in desperation traded him away, Its because Rosen was a colossal failure.

Just now, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Rosen was terrible, Trust me he won't be any better with Miami which is another place like Washington that QB's go to fade into the sunset.

And to answer your question, Yes Haskins was thought of as a MUCH better option than Rosen. With Haskins we really don't know , He could be a superstar out of the gate he could be mediocre with potential or he could be dreadful, like Josh Rosen was last season. Listen there is a reason the Arizona Cardinals went back to back years drafting a QB in the first round and then in desperation traded him away, Its because Rosen was a colossal failure.

I disagree

Rosen was viewed by a lot this past offseason as being good enough to be the no. 2 QB behind Murray had he come out in this draft.  Arizona was worse than we were last year, so to expect a rookie QB to come in and have any real success is not really fair.  I don't think they  moved him because they were desperate to get rid of him due to failure, they moved him because the new HC was given his pick of the litter, and he wanted Murray.  Keeping Rosen would have been very bad for that meeting room.  

8 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’m just glad we haven’t drafted Sua Cravens this year.

IIRC most people were lauding that pick when we did it.  Who knew he'd turn into such a head case?  If you mean we don't have a head case then yes, I agree 😁

24 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think we will be a middling team next year. 7-9 wins. But if we struggle and put Haskins in and he flashes but we do what Arizona did and crap the bed, we will likely be positioned nicely to trade our 1st next year for some picks if we are in position to trade to a QB needy team. Obviously a lot can happen and I expect our 1st to be between 16 and 22 next year. But another “benefit” to having Haskins over Rosen is you won’t be in QB market next year and if positioned early, could reap benefits. 

We will be much better than we were last year.  Our secondary will be much better, linebackers are better, DLine is better, QB position is better, Rb position is better and we might even crush the rest of the draft and add more depth.  

We will have a great season and like you stated it is much better to be out of the QB market next year.  Our draft pick will hold much more leverage.

6 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

We will have a great season and like you stated it is much better to be out of the QB market next year.  Our draft pick will hold much more leverage.

I wish I had your optimism, but I'm predicting an 8-8 season, just based on the seemingly murderer's row we're up against in the first 5 weeks.  We could easily be 1-4 or 0-5 after that stretch. 

Even so, I think we took care of a major need this year - we won't be in the running for any of those big QBs coming out next year because we'll be in the middle of the first round once again.

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@Poindexter I definitely think we end up well better than many suspect. Our defense and run game will carry us and I think Keenum could do the smith duty and not lose us games. And eventually we see Haskins come in and be an X factor. 

Grant and Danny predicted we would probably see Haskins make his debut against the Dolphins, but I actually would rather they wait until December.  No need to rush the guy out there.

43 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I disagree

Rosen was viewed by a lot this past offseason as being good enough to be the no. 2 QB behind Murray had he come out in this draft.  Arizona was worse than we were last year, so to expect a rookie QB to come in and have any real success is not really fair.  I don't think they  moved him because they were desperate to get rid of him due to failure, they moved him because the new HC was given his pick of the litter, and he wanted Murray.  Keeping Rosen would have been very bad for that meeting room.  

48 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Rosen was terrible, Trust me he won't be any better with Miami which is another place like Washington that QB's go to fade into the sunset.I'll revisit this post at seasons end and it will all make sense.

The Cardinals stunk across the board last year, and it started with coaching. Rosen was put in a terrible situation, a real disaster for a 1st-year QB. In Miami, Caldwell is going to really teach that kid. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses, and especially whether they start him from the jump or make him sit and perhaps earn his way past Fitzpatrick at some point during the season. The Dolphins are not on the verge of anything, so I'd just let him sit and learn from Caldwell this year.

I was looking at the Bleacher Report Matt Miller day 3 predictions.  I don't care so much for his Redskin ideas but I was more interested in the player rankings of who would likely be selected before the Skins pick.  Would you trade UP from pick 112 to get either WR Kelvin Harmon or Riley Ridley in the 4th round? For pick 131, he has the Skins selecting David Long LB from West Virginia while Beau Benzschawel OG was still on the board.  Then in the 5th he has the Skins picking Elijah Holyfield RB from Georgia.  I'd rather the Skins pick David Sills WR, Isaac Nauta TE Georgia, or Dru Samia OG.  

Archived