Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities, in college-entrance bribery scheme

Springfield

5 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So Huffman allegedly paid 15k to have someone take the SAT for her daughter. 

The daughter of Oscar nominees William H. Macy and Felicity Huffman needed help getting into college. What? 🙄

What I can't get over is how counterproductive this is.  Imagine being the kid and having your parents say "you are too ****ing stupid to get into school on your own, so we are going to buy your way in."  #1, you are stupid, #2, it's okay, mommy and daddy's money will fix it for you.

This is why trust fund kids end up owning glass purses and use them to assault people while yelling anti-semetic slurs.

• Like 1

Didn't some UVA rep admit a while a back that the student's ability to pay was factor in admission?  

This stuff has been going on for a while

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/at-u-va-a-watch-list-flags-vip-applicants-for-special-handling/2017/04/01/9482b256-106e-11e7-9d5a-a83e627dc120_story.html?utm_term=.103481ea315b

This isn't the exact article I was thinking of (it a while ago), but this is very similar

Edited by DCSaints_fan

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Not really shocked at all. Well, I am surprised they were dumb enough to get caught.

Celebrity <> Rocket Scientist  (with a few exceptions such as Miam Bialik and Danica McKellar)

I am amazed that these kids have access to the best schools, teachers, materials, facilities, tutors, etc, and still can not hack it.

What the hell are these celebrity kids are doing or better yet, NOT doing?

My nephew went to a private school in Richmond (his dad works there) and he earned enough AP credits to finish almost a year early at VA Tech.

This is all about the parents keeping up appearances for their kids. They never actually invested in their kids lives, they just wanted to make sure their kids could be something they can brag about at their parties. This was obviously the next logical step to say that my kid got into this college. So yeah, as was mentioned above, this is a parenting failure on so many levels. 

51 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

Celebrity <> Rocket Scientist  (with a few exceptions such as Miam Bialik and Danica McKellar)

I am amazed that these kids have access to the best schools, teachers, materials, facilities, tutors, etc, and still can not hack it.

My nephew went to a private school in Richmond (his dad works there) and he earned enough AP credits to finish almost a year early at VA Tech.

Apparently the solution is to cut out the middleman and bribe the universities directly.

53 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

An excellent point.  I guess you can give your kids access to the best stuff, but that's only part of the equation.  The kids have to actually do the work.  A "bring a horse to water" situation I guess.

Who wants to bet that the celebrities were off traveling for work and/or just jetsetting, and the kids were raised in large part by nannies who weren't allowed to put a boot in their asses?

7 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Apparently the solution is to cut out the middleman and bribe the universities directly.

Apparently not if you want to stay out of handcuffs. :ols:

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

What I can't get over is how counterproductive this is.  Imagine being the kid and having your parents say "you are too ****ing stupid to get into school on your own, so we are going to buy your way in."  #1, you are stupid, #2, it's okay, mommy and daddy's money will fix it for you.

This is why trust fund kids end up owning glass purses and use them to assault people while yelling anti-semetic slurs.

Not to mention what it would cost them to continue to bribe professors/faculty/etc. to keep up their grades and GPA up.  Because once they get there and have to do the work, if they weren't smart enough to get in these elite colleges on their own hard work, they aren't going to be able to excel and graduate.  

If they don't pay off, then they get kicked out, wouldn't that be more embarrassing to the parents than them actually letting their kids get into a school at their academic level?  Why does going to a community college for 2 years and transferring to a university have to be embarrassing?  Rich person/celeb problems I guess.....

• Like 1

The academic fraud I could understand being difficult to track if you have skillful operators taking the SAT on your behalf, but how does the Georgetown tennis coach manage to get paid $2.7M in bribes to offer places for kids who are not close to being viable recruits. One kid didn't play a tournament during her high school yet claimed to be top 50 in the nation

Doesn't every D I sport have websites and fans analyzing every incoming class? Or is the coach somehow telling admission that he is 'recruiting' kids who are never announced as recruits?

https://wtop.com/local/2019/03/ex-georgetown-tennis-coach-indicted-in-admissions-cheating-scandal/

1 hour ago, visionary said:

That is the usual way, isn't it?  Bribing them with donations. 

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. These parents are morons. If you take your kid on a campus tour, and consistently run into buildings with your name on them, there’s an excellent chance they’re getting in.

they should have done things the P-Mac (what we call Potomac) way

Just get into good prep schools and do extracurriculars and take loads of AP courses and pass the SAT with flying colors 

That is how we did it in PMac

17 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

How stupid do those kids have to be in order them to do this?

If you know even a little bit about the college admissions process and how it benefits kids who goto elite private high schools, and how those private high schools game the system, and how it is all institutionalized, then you know their children have to be idiots.

this is exactly what happens here in the DC suburbs 

people go to fancy prep schools like Bullis and Holton Arms and Georgetown Prep and get a world class HS education and then use that as leverage to go to Harvard. Although I did see people go to Harvard from my graduating class of 2003. And we was just a public school. 

17 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

How stupid do those kids have to be in order them to do this?

If you know even a little bit about the college admissions process and how it benefits kids who goto elite private high schools, and how those private high schools game the system, and how it is all institutionalized, then you know their children have to be idiots.

John Calipari's daughter is savage AF.

• Haha 1