Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities, in college-entrance bribery scheme

Springfield

Elementary school though cause Bama wanted Forrest because he

could run like a mofo.

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I kinda agree. I dont think it should get someone jail time. However going off of the post @BenningRoadSkin made above it would be such an in justice in my mind if it didnt come with some jail time. Lady getting 3 years just for changing her address. Thats wild. 

And i know thats petty. Its why I dont think I could be a judge. 

Those sentences were ridiculous if that's all they were based on.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm starting to think these parents (including Loughlin) might actually see some real jail time. I wonder if this will impact their kids (who a lot of are adults) too? Expulsions, pulled degrees, job firings, or possible fraud charges? 

Yea, we all thought Paul Manafort would get more than 7 years for decades of illegality.  

As with Manafort, I hope these folks are made an example out of because, as I noted above, that would do a lot to halt this practice, but my hopes are not very high. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Send them all to jail. You have to make examples out of these people.

Yup, fry all of their asses. It'll NEVER happen though...ever.

This **** pisses me off so badly. I mean is the Georgetown tennis coach so underpaid that he's willing to take a bribe and tell the University that she's a tennis recruit to get her admitted?

Checks story..... https://bit.ly/2T5rcwH

Hmmm....$225,000 per student x 12 students....what the hell.

19 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Those tweets are not accurate (I'm not going to argue that there isn't a frequent injustice on how wealth and race plays in the criminal justice system, but accuracy is important and reality is bad enough without overstating the case).

Tanya MacDowell was sentenced to five years because of selling drugs to an undercover officer after she got arrested for the school issue.  

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/tanya-mcdowell-sentencing/

Tanya McDowell, the Bridgeport mom arrested for sending her 5-year-old son to a Norwalk elementary school and while out on bond was picked up for selling drugs to undercover officers five times, was sentenced to five years in prison and another five years of probation after pleading guilty to drug and larceny charges.

In April [2011], McDowell received national sympathy from education advocates after Norwalk police arrested her for sending her son to Brookside Elementary School in Norwalk while they alleged that she was really living in Bridgeport.

McDowell claimed that she was homeless at the time — spending many nights in her van — and wanted a good education for her son, A.J., while she was working in Stamford.

Several weeks later, she was arrested for selling drugs to Norwalk undercover officers on five occasions in Norwalk and Bridgeport.

When she was picked up on the drug charges, police found her in front of Brookside Elementary School holding 30 small bags of marijuana and 23 small bags of crack cocaine, prosecutor Tiffany Lockshier said during her sentencing hearing.

In Bridgeport, McDowell pleaded guilty to two counts of sale of narcotics to undercover officers in Bridgeport and when she is sentenced faces up to five years in jail for those convictions.

Kelly William-Bolar was sentenced to 9 days in jail

https://wzakcleveland.com/2978372/local-news-kelley-williams-bolar-felony-reduced-to-misdemeanors/

He chose to stray from the parole board’s recommendation. Gov. John Kasich instead used his executive clemency authority to reduce the felony offenses of the Akron mother in the school district switching case.

Kelley Williams-Bolar was convicted in January 2011 of two felony records tampering charges. The Akron mother lied and used her father’s address to illegally enroll her two daughters into the Copley-Fairlawn School District and spent nine days in jail.

Interestingly, the parole board unanimously recommended that the clemency petition be rejected.  So Kasich downgraded the convictions from a felony to a misdemeanor to avoid adverse effects on Williams-Bolar's job as a teacher's aide.  (Looks like she was sentenced to 9 days under the felony conviction, so that's not a result of the clemency).

Another article discusses some legal options Williams-Bolar had to send her children to a different school

https://fordhaminstitute.org/ohio/commentary/whats-not-being-said-williams-bolar-case

With that all said, the people found guilty of these college admission schemes should go to jail.  Also, the kids should be strictly investigated to find out how much they knew (for example, if your parents want you to pose for crew or water polo and you never played in your life and then you're admitted as a walk on to the sports team you've never played in your life, warning bells aren't gonna go off?).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Lori Loughlin's daughter was "staying on USC's yacht" when the scandal broke?  What the.....who else would be on the "official USC yacht" I shudder to think what was probably going on.

Why does USC even have an official yacht?  What purpose does it serve in promoting the higher education of the students?  Do all universities have a yacht?  Is this why college costs are so high and go up so much each year?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, China said:

Why does USC even have an official yacht?  What purpose does it serve in promoting the higher education of the students?  Do all universities have a yacht?  Is this why college costs are so high and go up so much each year?

I do not think it is actually USC's yacht.  It appears the yacht belongs to a member of the USC Board of Trustees.  Somebody gets lazy on the details and everybody else jumps on the mis-reported thing.

https://www.today.com/news/lori-loughlin-s-daughter-was-usc-board-chairman-s-yacht-t150360

(and no, this isn't why college costs are going up.  Decline in public investment as compared to increases in people going to college (many schools are actually spending less now per a student to educate people than they were decades ago, but they are also educating more people, while when adjusted for inflation getting less money from states), health care costs, and increased administrative costs (associated with things like Title IX compliance) are way tuitions are going up.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

The Secretary of Education suggested that, rather than keeping children in the dark about the bribes that enable their college acceptances, “Parents should sit around the kitchen table with their kids and work on some fun math problems together.”

“Let’s say it’ll cost Amber seventy-five thousand dollars to get into Stanford, and it’ll cost her twin brother Dylan seventy-five thousand to get into Georgetown,” she said. “How much money total will their parents have to wire?”

“Or let’s say Jenna has a 470 verbal score, but she needs a 730 to get into Yale,” DeVos said. “How much will she have to pay to get her score changed?”

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/betsy-devos-suggests-that-bribing-colleges-helps-students-learn-math?utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_source=nl&utm_brand=tny&utm_mailing=TNY_Borowitz_031419&utm_medium=email&bxid=5bd66cef2ddf9c619437bddc&user_id=11262749&esrc=bounceX

Meanwhile, Zion Williamson is FORCED to go to a school he doesn't want to so he can make a **** ton of money for other people that he gets none of, and misses out on a year of getting paid millions of dollars, and also risks getting hurt and not ever getting that money.  

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Meanwhile, Zion Williamson is FORCED to go to a school he doesn't want to so he can make a **** ton of money for other people that he gets none of, and misses out on a year of getting paid millions of dollars, and also risks getting hurt and not ever getting that money.  

Like some freak accident like his shoe exploding or something??? Fantasy bro. Be more realistic. 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

the funny thing is Zion Williamson, and other revenue-producing college athletes like him, are connected.

There is no rowing program if there is not USC basketball and football team making millions a year.

49 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

the funny thing is Zion Williamson, and other revenue-producing college athletes like him, are connected.

There is no rowing program if there is not USC basketball and football team making millions a year.

Arguable.  College athletics existed before they became a huge business.  My grandfather was an all american in rowing at Syracuse in the 1930s.  

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Arguable.  College athletics existed before they became a huge business.  My grandfather was an all american in rowing at Syracuse in the 1930s.  

Im well aware of college athletics before TV.

I am talking about today's dynamics. When they tell you its unfair to pay a Zion Williamson because everyone else needs to get paid, they are talking about the Syracuse rowing team players of today needed to have their scholarships.

Athletic departments at D1 colleges have a budget that is independent of the universities.

15 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Im well aware of college athletics before TV.

I am talking about today's dynamics. When they tell you its unfair to pay a Zion Williamson because everyone else needs to get paid, they are talking about the Syracuse rowing team players of today needed to have their scholarships.

Athletic departments at D1 colleges have a budget that is independent of the universities.

Right.  My point is that colleges could fund their athletic departments if they wanted to, without the billions generated by media rights.  Football and basketball would still fund the rest, but the money involved would be much smaller (which would not necessarily be a bad thing).

As the economics of college sports currently exist, college basketball would make exactly the same amount of money if the true stars were not forced to play a year in college.  The media rights for the 2019 NCAA basketball season were sold far in advance of anyone knowing one guy was really good. 

Also, I think it is 100% fair to pay the athletes in only the revenue generating sports.  I also think it's obviously fair to allow every athlete, in any sport, to monetize their own likeness.

Edited by PleaseBlitz