Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities, in college-entrance bribery scheme

Springfield

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Whoa Huffman pled guilty..and took blame.

Why wouldn't she?  I imagine the Feds have her dead to rights.  I also will be shocked if her plea deals involves jail time, or at least more than a week or two in jail.  Plead it down, pay a big fine (since she clearly has money), promise to do some good in the community, hire a PR company to rehab your reputation, put it behind you.  That's what I would do.

My question is, where the **** is William H Macy in all of this?  Are people buying that he had no involvement in any of this?  Smells rotten. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

True and they {Huffman and Macy) only paid out 15k unlike Mossimo/Lori Loughlin who paid out 500k (and aren't pleading).

That said maybe Macy isn't involved. Otherwise the FBI would have scooped him up too..

I thought it was confirmed he was on the tapes agreeing to the whole thing?  LIsted as "spouse" or something in the transcripts.

8 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I thought it was confirmed he was on the tapes agreeing to the whole thing?  LIsted as "spouse" or something in the transcripts.

You are right (I just reread an article about it).

I suspect the problem was the level of proof and that Huffman was on tape agreeing to the actual crime. The one that Macy was on tape for (their youngest daughter) wasn't actually pursued and committed.

Additionally it appears that Huffman was the more active and vocal member in the whole ordeal. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

26 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The Feds offer included jail time, but the judge will probably give them a few years of probation. Its disgusting imo, but money and privilege.

Depends on how much they pay the judge.  :pint:

16 hours ago, killerbee99 said:

Should have taken the plea deal.... She might be doing months in jail... 30 to 60 days maybe

Heard this morning that legal experts are saying 2-4 years for Loughlin (and Mossimo) is likely. They're even expecting 6-8 months for Huffman.

I think it going to shock people. But I'm already on record saying that jail is the wrong punishment for this.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, killerbee99 said:

Should have taken the plea deal.... She might be doing months in jail... 30 to 60 days maybe

from what I read, their case was always different because they paid more money than Huffman. Huffman and people in her camp were facing a few months based on federal guidelines. The Loughlin/Giannulli types were getting offers of at least two years. 

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/04/lori-loughlin-reportedly-refused-to-take-plea-deal-believed-distract-attorney-was-bluffing

According to E! News, Loughlin could've avoided the additional charges had she accepted a plea agreement that would've resulted in a much softer punishment. Sources said federal prosecutors offered her a deal that would've required her to serve about two years behind bars; however, Loughlin reportedly rejected the deal because she was convinced the D.A. was bluffing. 

Whoops.

"She has been in complete denial and thought maybe she could skate by," the source told E! News. "She refused to accept any jail time and thought the D.A. was bluffing. She was adamant she wouldn't do any jail time."

The source continued: "Lori is finally realizing just how serious this is. She is seeing the light that she will do jail time and is freaking out."

500k to send her dip**** kid to college yet she can't afford a good lawyer because she rejected the deal since she thought the DA was bluffing. 

The last quote from the source about her freaking out literally did make me laugh out loud. :ols:

That's why these people need jail time. This class and justifiably so has the belief that if you throw enough money at it, you can insulate yourself from the repercussions of jail time. Jail is not a perfect deterrent, but it is a much better deterrent than no confinement at all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, The Evil Genius said:

I think it going to shock people. But I'm already on record saying that jail is the wrong punishment for this.

Its interesting how many people think this. 

In a country where wealthy people get of with smacks on the wrist often (minus whatever postboy they pick to crucify publicly) people are concerned a multimillion dollar scam against the education system may result in some wealthy people going to jail 

when they stop throwing lower income people in jail for simple drug charges I’ll consider a tear for the once-in-a-bluemoon celeb that catches jail for committing fraud in the order of hundreds of thousands of dollars. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 4

I think the focus should be on those accepting bribes, more than on those offering them.  Parents are always going to try to rig the game for their kids, and parenting isn’t about looking out for everyone else.  Anyone that says it is, is lying.  Possibly to themselves.   Parents will do what they can to give their child every advantage.  I expect them to cheat, and they do in any number of ways.  Any system designed around education should expect it and plan for it.  

Bribing a school is bad, but is it all that much different, in terms of uneven outcome, than rich parents sending their kids to amazing private schools while poor kids go to schools that look like prisons?  Ethically, sure.  In terms of scale however, this bribery thing isn’t having a significant impact nation wide.

The people accepting the bribes are the ones causing the damage.  Parents are doing what they’re programmed to do, single mindedly trying to give their child every advantage.  The people taking the cash are corrupt and betraying the trust people have given them.  

Fine the parents, make it a big fine, and leave them with a criminal record.  Then move on.  If anyone needs to go to jail it’s the people that took the money.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I think the focus should be on those accepting bribes, more than on those offering them.  Parents are always going to try to rig the game for their kids, and parenting isn’t about looking out for everyone else.  Anyone that says it is, is lying.  Possibly to themselves.   Parents will do what they can to give their child every advantage.  I expect them to cheat, and they do in any number of ways.  Any system designed around education should expect it and plan for it.  

Bribing a school is bad, but is it all that much different, in terms of uneven outcome, than rich parents sending their kids to amazing private schools while poor kids go to schools that look like prisons?  Ethically, sure.  In terms of scale however, this bribery thing isn’t having a significant impact nation wide.

The people accepting the bribes are the ones causing the damage.  Parents are doing what they’re programmed to do, single minded trying to give their child every advantage.  These guys taking the the cash are corrupt and betraying the trust people have given them.  

Fine the parents, make it a big fine, and leave them with a criminal record.  Then move on.  If anyone needs to go to jail it’s the people that took the money.  

I bet none of them are as hot as Aunt Becky though.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Destino said:

I think the focus should be on those accepting bribes, more than on those offering them.

Image result for why not both?

**** every single one of them.

Revoke/rescind any diplomas

Mom and Dad do time, just writing a check and walking away is nothing to these people. Let 'em spend 90 days in a local cell in Arizona, doing Joe Arpaio time, THAT will make an impression

Disbar the lawyers for criminal facilitation (cuz you know their lawyers were getting a taste of this)

Deny the schools federal grant money the way they go after NCAA scandals

Make a POINT! Make a ****ing statement here!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For real, **** these parents and what the hell is this expectation to lie and cheat and do all sorts of **** for your kid? My parents weren't like that, because they knew it was important to have a global sense of responsibility and preservation as well an individual sense. I sucked at learning that responsibility and went to prison myself as a result, but that ultimately helped me learn and practice it. A parent is failing their own and their child's development if they can't understand that you don't break the system to help your kid. We all depend on a threshold level of trust and good faith for this ecosystem of a society to work.

There is a line you don't cross. Help your kid, support your kid, but don't **** up the system to give your kid a free ride because he or she never developed the capability to make it on your own. **** those parents and **** those kids till they learn otherwise and actually earn their way.

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 5