Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The alliance of American football

redskinss

All jokes aside, this is probably the scenario Vinnie Mac dreamed of. Hold tight and watch as your direct competitor tries to beat you to the punch, and implodes so you can scoop up the remains.

Get ready for Johnny Football to be the face of the XFL. I'd also look for bottom roster guys in the NFL who want more fame.

The NFL is desperately in need of something like NFL Europe, though. AAF could definitely come  back  and do something like that.

sounds like AAF was rushed where Vince is just taking his time with the XFL. Plus you get a feeling Vince won't bail out like Dundon did. I honestly want to see other football leagues succeed. You all know I'm a huge sports fanatic always going to games and watching games and stuff like that. Sports is my lifeline. Always appreciate a new sport coming in, especially locally, which can offer improvements. We live in an era of capitalism. If someone wants to create a new football league so be it. Screw monopolies! 

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

sounds like AAF was rushed where Vince is just taking his time with the XFL. Plus you get a feeling Vince won't bail out like Dundon did. I honestly want to see other football leagues succeed. You all know I'm a huge sports fanatic always going to games and watching games and stuff like that. Sports is my lifeline. Always appreciate a new sport coming in, especially locally, which can offer improvements. We live in an era of capitalism. If someone wants to create a new football league so be it. Screw monopolies! 

Considering the AAF was never on a sound financial footing, it's not surprising it folded.

Spurrier made a comment they were told the league would get at least 3 years to prove themselves. That was a lie.

Vince is taking his time and making sure he does it right. He doesn't want another failure. If he puts a decent product, he can succeed. 

the NFL has a monopoly because they attract the best talent. That is what football fans want to see.. not minor leaguers who can't make an NFL roster.

This is why every league that has tried since the AFL fails.. because they simply can't compete.

The USFL attracted a lot of top talent out of college, and failed. There's too much else to do in springtime. People tend to not watch as much TV.

Plus, there is cache to the NFL that players can't deny. 

I disagree that the NFL needs a developmental league, i think the NCAA provides that just fine.  Developmental leagues = wear and tear on players. It's not like baseball where you can send a guy down to get better in a sport that is much more relaxed.. you send a guy to minor league football, he's going to take punishment. The body can only take so much.

Besides, the dropoff in talent from the first string NFL to the 3rd string NFL is HUGE... the next drop to AAF or XFL level is even bigger.  the overwhelming majority of players in these leagues can't make an NFL practice squad, much less a roster.  sending your PS players down o get some experience..  gets them beaten up and potentially injured before you even have a mini-camp.

Folks get bored fast once the novelty wears off, and again, it's nice outside, there's things to do.

The XFL will fail again too, for the same reason.

~Bang

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The NFL is desperately in need of something like NFL Europe, though. AAF could definitely come  back  and do something like that.

The NFL is clearly not in desperate need of something NFL Europe since it ****-canned NFL Europe.

The careers are simply too short in pro football - especially at the bottom of the roster - to waste any of that time in a developmental league. A third string running back/special teams guy will have a three or four year career.

Why would you waste two of it in the AAF?

The problem the NFL has is that it's created a salary structure where middle-class veterans are simply not worth the cash. You can get 90 percent of the production at 40 percent of the cost on dudes on rookie deals.

Just now, clietas said:

Aw but without my beloved Iron how will I go on? Oh well this 227 marathon ain't gon watch itself.

I don't think it was a scam like Fyre fest. AAF tried and failed. At least they actually played some games. Were there any actual performances at Fyre fest?

Well, depending on which documentary you watched, they were on track to make it happen until they had to switch islands because they kept putting out that the island was formerly owned by Escobar (which the owners of the island strictly forbode).

Haven't had a chance to watch those docs yet. Only read a few articles. Read like a complete scam as they falsely promoted a festival that they fully intended to cut every possible corner. As well as paying social media personalities to falsely promote the event.

AAF just seems like a complete business failure. Tho they at least made a sincere attempt to put out a entertainment product. 

Arizona Hotshots quarterback Jack Heneghan joins Scott Soshnick, Michael Barr and Eben Novy-Williams to discuss a host of issues related to the business of sports, including the death of the Alliance of American Football, which ceased operations after only eight weeks of play. A Dartmouth college graduate with a degree in economics, Heneghan discusses the factors that played into the league’s failing so quickly. He also touches on how the players reacted to the news and why, in his opinion, Vince McMahon’s XFL has a better shot at success than the AAF, whose principle backer was Tom Dundon, also owner of the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes.

https://assets.bwbx.io/av/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/vcNwlZcZTcYM/v4.mp3

I thought is was decent football and pretty well packaged. The games were on TV and the app that showed you how you can predict the next play in real time was cool. 

Given that attendance wasn't bad and the games were on TV, how was this league supposed to stay afloat without a champion founder? They cobbled together a bunch of names and a hedge fund or two, but no real champion until Dundon. And his motivations may have been more related to the app than the football. 

Welp... We'll see what the XFL does. The AAF's exit may help in some ways, catching the castoffs whom enjoyed spring football, and may also excite the doubters as "these things never work out. The NFL is undefeated." 

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How much money did dundon spend on this?

He put in $250 million and got back $180 million. Basically, he lost $70 million in just under 2 months. Now, there is talk that he wanted some gambling app that is tied to the league. So perhaps what he did was pay $70 million just for the rights to that app and that app will allow him to make a lot more money down the road. But losing $70 million in 2 months is pretty substantial. 

that app must have some serious IP behind it... 70 million seems like a lot to invest and then fold up and go home. Apps aren’t worth 70mil... I think they should have paid the players more like 60K or something that first and marketed to them as an opportunity to get noticed, for as long as the league was losing money. Who did the analysis and thought the NFLPA was going to allow players to work outside of the union, that’s now how any union works.  I thought the guy maybe was phony collateral and he was “investing” without using his money, 70 mil is crazy to drop on a whim.

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

that app must have some serious IP behind it... 70 million seems like a lot to invest and then fold up and go home. Apps aren’t worth 70mil... I think they should have paid the players more like 60K or something that first and marketed to them as an opportunity to get noticed, for as long as the league was losing money. Who did the analysis and thought the NFLPA was going to allow players to work outside of the union, that’s now how any union works.  I thought the guy maybe was phony collateral and he was “investing” without using his money, 70 mil is crazy to drop on a whim.

Vince McMahon wants to buy the app for the XFL.  I can't see someone paying anywhere's near $70 million for an app though.

On 4/3/2019 at 2:31 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The NFL is clearly not in desperate need of something NFL Europe since it ****-canned NFL Europe.

Kinda agree here, same time, it wouldn't hurt to have minor league teams in smaller markets instead of any future expansion teams.  NFL doesn't need 32 g-league teams, that's true.

Archived