Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The alliance of American football

redskinss

Watched tonight’s game on nfl network, i liked What i saw. I liked rashod Ross as well.

regarding the XFL, i saw a tweet yesterday that Jim zorn will be a head coach for one of the teams? Any truth to this? If so, might have to watch. That would be hilarious. Especially if he coaches the DC team. He could mess up TWO DC sports teams in his career 😂😂😂

18 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Watched tonight’s game on nfl network, i liked What i saw. I liked rashod Ross as well.

regarding the XFL, i saw a tweet yesterday that Jim zorn will be a head coach for one of the teams? Any truth to this? If so, might have to watch. That would be hilarious. Especially if he coaches the DC team. He could mess up TWO DC sports teams in his career 😂😂😂

Ross will get an NFL camp invite if he stays healthy. 

Seeing as how this league and the NFL are working together I wonder if they instituted any rules or policies on player acquisition. 

For example I'm sure the aaf doesn't want teams poaching their players midseason, are there rules against an NFL team signing a player right now and telling him he can't play anymore?

And what if a player really stands out and multiple teams want him, is there any process for fairness or is it just like undrafted college players that they can choose any team they want.

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Seeing as how this league and the NFL are working together I wonder if they instituted any rules or policies on player acquisition. 

For example I'm sure the aaf doesn't want teams poaching their players midseason, are there rules against an NFL team signing a player right now and telling him he can't play anymore?

And what if a player really stands out and multiple teams want him, is there any process for fairness or is it just like undrafted college players that they can choose any team they want.

All I know is these players sign 3 year deals with the AAF but can leave for an NFL gig. Not sure what happens if a NFL team wants a guy to stop playing there to join their offseason program. 

if by "season" you mean "february" i tend to agree.

Happens to all of them. But really,, this one they supposedly had planned o try to give solid footing, .. you'd think they could go more than week ONE without worrying about paychecks.

~Bang

Not a good look for a new league. Not sure what kind of business plan they had to have blown through the entire 1st season's operating expenses before week 2. Long term, looks like a big fat loser financially. Only San Antonio has good attendance numbers, and that is below 30k/game.

Enjoy it while it lasts....

2 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Not a good look for a new league. Not sure what kind of business plan they had to have blown through the entire 1st season's operating expenses before week 2. Long term, looks like a big fat loser financially. Only San Antonio has good attendance numbers, and that is below 30k/game.

Enjoy it while it lasts....

I think the TV ratings are going to be the real key 

Football can't be a gate driven sport like basketball, baseball or hockey since they are so few games.

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I think the TV ratings are going to be the real key 

Football can't be a gate driven sport like basketball, baseball or hockey since they are so few games.

I can't imagine CBS is paying them much to broadcast 1 game per week (after opening weekend, on CBS Sports Network). NFL Network isn't gonna pay much, either. 

50 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

I can't imagine CBS is paying them much to broadcast 1 game per week (after opening weekend, on CBS Sports Network). NFL Network isn't gonna pay much, either. 

That's why ratings matter...if they can draw eyeballs and ads, then networks will pay. You almost wish they could SAVE money by not even bothering with crowds. It would be odd, but I feel like a brand new league would be better off getting a TV following first and then opening its gates second. Not sure how to actually do that, but if you didn't have to bring in concessions, ushers, etc. who knows?

Well the CFL has been able to sustain itself despite attendance numbers being pretty unremarkable  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League_attendance

The CFL's TV ratings aren't great either, the numbers I'm seeing are roughly ~0.4 which is comparable to what the AAF got over the weekend

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's why ratings matter...if they can draw eyeballs and ads, then networks will pay. You almost wish they could SAVE money by not even bothering with crowds. It would be odd, but I feel like a brand new league would be better off getting a TV following first and then opening its gates second. Not sure how to actually do that, but if you didn't have to bring in concessions, ushers, etc. who knows?

The crowd being into the game is part of what makes sports interesting to watch

2 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Well the CFL has been able to sustain itself despite attendance numbers being pretty unremarkable  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League_attendance

The CFL's TV ratings aren't great either, the numbers I'm seeing are roughly ~0.4 which is comparable to what the AAF got over the weekend

The crowd being into is part of what makes sports interesting to watch

I agree. 

The math likely doesn't support my idea, but if somehow it was more financially viable (cheaper) to operate without crowds, they would have to consider it to stay in operation longer. 

This league will only succeed if 1) a larger entity like the NFL props it up or 2) it eventually demands TV revenue. That's it. 

I know the NFL has an interest in seeing this league succeed, but I doubt they want to invest too much money in it. They already have a free minor league system in the NCAA. They’ll take another one as long as they don’t have to pay. I’d be shocked if they do anything more than what they have been doing, which is showing a few games and giving a few mentions. 

39 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I know the NFL has an interest in seeing this league succeed, but I doubt they want to invest too much money in it. They already have a free minor league system in the NCAA. They’ll take another one as long as they don’t have to pay. I’d be shocked if they do anything more than what they have been doing, which is showing a few games and giving a few mentions. 

Yep, which is why it's imperative to the AAF to drum up interest and get people to tune in. Not sure how you do that though...the football is just OK. 

Over the weekend there was game coming on the NFL Network (maybe Saturday). Well, just out of curiosity I turned it to that channel 30 minutes early when I made a drink and saw one of the top-20 NFL games from 2018. I was so disappointed when that ended and the 1-0 Whatevers played the 0-1 Whoevers. Blah. 

The draw for me isn't really the teams, at least not yet, but the players and their storylines.  I wish the broadcasters would put more effort into their backstories

Like what is Matt Asiata doing in the league?   Does he hope to get back into the NFL, or is he just doing it because he likes playing, or some other reason (he blew all his NFL money)?  

Or how about the coaches?  Is Steve Spurrier really hard up for the $500k a year he's getting from the AAF? 

On 2/19/2019 at 11:18 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

This leauge almost went bellyup Friday.

NHL owner saves the AAF

I doubt the league lasts more than a season.

The AAF is a sinking ship.  He can retract his investment anytime, and probably will when he realizes just how many millions of dollars of his money they are losing each week...

https://xfl2k.com/news/report-dundon-can-back-out-of-his-aaf-investment-at-anytime/?fbclid=IwAR3VKdy5eCvcXA7c5VXaj8qR7YxDBX8JB9sz97ZZ9S6moS0oWpqfji-k-YQ

On 2/19/2019 at 11:32 AM, Bang said:

if by "season" you mean "february" i tend to agree.

Happens to all of them. But really,, this one they supposedly had planned o try to give solid footing, .. you'd think they could go more than week ONE without worrying about paychecks.

~Bang

How is putting teams in primarily mid-sized media markets that don't generate enough revenue to support a real professional football league "solid footing?"  This league was designed for failure from the very beginning.

https://xfl2k.com/news/aaf-not-making-any-money-on-tv-deals/

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/6299773-aaf-might-be-lying-about-some-attendance-figures

3 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I imagine Spurrier wants to coach, but not put in 18 hour NFL days or sit in 18 year olds living rooms recruiting. 

Pretty much. He gets to call plays and have minimal responsibility. 

Expected attention to drop over the weeks. Shame the league and NFL aren't pushing it harder now. I still watched some yesterday and was entertained. 

Blowouts today but yesterdays Orlando/Memphis was pretty fun to watch.

Looking forward to Orlando/Birmingham.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:59 PM, Rdskns2000 said:

I give one more week, if that.

XFL will try and probably fail also. Unless, the NFL itself does a spring developmental league; no league will succeed.

I think they'll play out the year at minimum.  Depends on how serious the new owner is.  For all we know, he could have bought the league as a tax write off and couldn't give two ****s.

I don't think the NFL would get directly involved.  They don't really need a development league since that role is fufilled by the NCAA.   They do lack a true minor league, like the NHL, MLB and NBA.   But I doubt they see need for one.   They would just end up paying more players, without any clear financial benefit.  And football is different from other sports, there isn't really a need for guys getting moved up and down like what happens in the MLB/NHL and ocassionally NBA.  

Minor league baseball and hockey does OK, though I think the major league teams pay the player salaries and thats a major expense.

Kind of a shame if it doesn't last, I like seeing the players who are playing the game for one more shot at the NFL, or maybe perhaps because they just want to play.

NFL Europe was a good idea. They should have done it here in the US.

32 NFL teams with 8 minor league teams. 4 NFL teams share a regional spring league team where they send a handful of players to. Also, like 25% are unsigned/walk-on types. 7 games. Everyone plays each other once. Then 2 rounds of playoffs. Rotate where the home games are between the teams that are feeding that minor league one.

Start 2 weeks after the Superbowl.

Archived