Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The alliance of American football

redskinss

On 2/7/2019 at 10:00 AM, OVCChairman said:

just dawned on me... CBS just carried the SB and now carries direct competition to the NFL with sole control.  Goodell can't be very happy about that.  

How is it direct competition if it's in the offseason ?

Seems like the opposite. They may be grooming and promoting some future NFL players which would be good for the NFL.

What's with these Ref uniforms ?

They look like NFL refs, except wearing a bra on top.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:27 PM, LLandryistheshiz said:

Players and Coaches I've heard of:

There's also Chris Simms' little brother, Matt, who played a few years in the NFL

SD/SA was a defensive slugfest but still fun to watch.   5 interceptions between the QBs and no TD passes.  This must have been what football was like in the 70s.

I'm actually enjoying the pacing much better than the NFL.   Team scores, they have a short commercial break (sometimes even doing in that picture-in-picture thing), other team gets the ball on the 25,   None of this score-commercial-kickooff-commercial nonsense the NFL has been sticking us with.    I don't think they broke for commercial once on a turnover, either.   I hate when that happens because it dulls the momentum the other team just got.

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

I guess in a league of has been and never wheres, there's not really a particular need to protect the QBs.  These dudes were getting lit up.  

Actually there's a rule limiting blitzes. Only 5 men are allowed to rush at a time.

I don't think anyone mentioned this familiar face - former Redskin Terence Garvin, who had 2 INT's today, and one was a pick 6.

Here's another rule difference in the AAF.

You're allowed to take a QB's head off with a hit.

one thing I realized late last night.  There must be someone at channel 9 who agrees with some fans about "**** Spurrier" because despite it supposed to be regional coverage we got a game in Texas played against a team from San Diego rather than a team from Atlanta playing in Orlando

33 minutes ago, carex said:

one thing I realized late last night.  There must be someone at channel 9 who agrees with some fans about "**** Spurrier" because despite it supposed to be regional coverage we got a game in Texas played against a team from San Diego rather than a team from Atlanta playing in Orlando

Yeah, I was figuring being on the east coast I'd get Orlando/Atlanta.  Still, I liked watching the SD/SA game.

1 hour ago, carex said:

Only the lower southeast got the ATL/ORL game.  Most of the country got the other game.  I’d rather have gotten the SD/SA game because ATL sucks.

Looks like I’ll be pulling for either the Iron or Hot Shots depending on the games later today.

The most noticeable drop in skill level from the NFL to AAF was predictably the QB play. The Atlanta QBs were just not good. The Orlando QB started slow but had some nice passes. He did play in the NFL this year, so he will probably be one of the better QBs. Other than that, just some dropped passes by WR was the only other difference. You have OL blocking DL who both missed the NFL and CB covering WR who both missed. So you didn’t see a lot of difference there.

The non kickoff rule was different. Not saying it was bad, but different having the teams just trot out to the 25. Even thought they used 8 officials, the game didn’t seem as penalty plagued as a lot of NFL games do. And that includes the penalties they called for rushing too many men. It just didn’t seem to kill the flow of the game. 

Lastly, as much as we hate Spurrier, he’s got a huge advantage to start this year. I hope the D coordinators catch up like they did in the NFL, but he’s going to put up points early. He had a few dazzle dazzle plays as well last night. 

12 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

The non kickoff rule was different. Not saying it was bad, but different having the teams just trot out to the 25. 

I found myself not missing the kickoff at all. This may be a precursor to getting rid of it in the NFL. Granted, that will mean no onside kicks, but the current rules have markedly decreased their success rate anyway. 

11 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I found myself not missing the kickoff at all. This may be a precursor to getting rid of it in the NFL. Granted, that will mean no onside kicks, but the current rules have markedly decreased their success rate anyway. 

Yeah, I think this is one of the rules the NFL is looking to see how it works. Like I said, it wasn’t bad, just different. Also, the onside kick is a 4th and 12 conversion from your own 28. If you convert, you keep the ball from where you get to. If you don’t convert, the defense gets the ball. This will be the rule in the NFL soon, or some modification of it.

19 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

The most noticeable drop in skill level from the NFL to AAF was predictably the QB play. The Atlanta QBs were just not good. The Orlando QB started slow but had some nice passes. He did play in the NFL this year, so he will probably be one of the better QBs. Other than that, just some dropped passes by WR was the only other difference. You have OL blocking DL who both missed the NFL and CB covering WR who both missed. So you didn’t see a lot of difference there.

The non kickoff rule was different. Not saying it was bad, but different having the teams just trot out to the 25. Even thought they used 8 officials, the game didn’t seem as penalty plagued as a lot of NFL games do. And that includes the penalties they called for rushing too many men. It just didn’t seem to kill the flow of the game. 

Lastly, as much as we hate Spurrier, he’s got a huge advantage to start this year. I hope the D coordinators catch up like they did in the NFL, but he’s going to put up points early. He had a few dazzle dazzle plays as well last night. 

The game shown in my region was the ATL/ORL game, I enjoyed the pace of the game and overall play.  I like that the AAF didn't want to change too many rules so it kept the feel of NFL ball, which as they have stated they are looking to be a complementary league to the NFL and not a competitor.  They are looking to allow this to develop players that just missed the NFL or made a roster but didn't get enough reps to possibly move into a starting role or back-up role in the NFL.

I also like the fact that they want their players to showcase and develop skills that could land them on an NFL roster and fully support them going to the NFL if offered a contract/chance and releasing them from the AAF contract should that happen.  

I am torn between liking/not liking the only can rush 5 defenders and not being able to blitz with defensive backs.  But, their explanation was that there was not any time for any of the O-lines to develop cohesion and not doing so would result in a horrible game.  So, I agree that it was the right move and it appears that this may only be a temporary rule.  

Hopefully, when the offenses finally gel (this season) and can take advantage of the defensive limitations of those rules they will make a mid-season change, otherwise we might see nothing but offensive explosion due to hankered defenses.  Kickoffs didn't bother me either, nor did no extra points.

I thought the level of competition was fine too, most of these players made an NFL roster at some point, but had limited opportunities in the NFL to develop into a solid special teams player or crack the depth chart at their position.  The QB play was the worst play at times, I think this will get better as the season goes on.  We have to remember the league was a little rushed and those guys have an extremely limited amount of time to develop any real chemistry/timing with their receivers.  

10 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

Yeah, I think this is one of the rules the NFL is looking to see how it works. Like I said, it wasn’t bad, just different. Also, the onside kick is a 4th and 12 conversion from your own 28. If you convert, you keep the ball from where you get to. If you don’t convert, the defense gets the ball. This will be the rule in the NFL soon, or some modification of it.

I noticed that this option is only allowed if a team is down at least 17 or if there is less than five minutes left in the game?

I'll admit I would miss the rare occasion where teams decide to do onside kicks in unexpected situations, like Andy Reid used to do against the Cowboys and Sean Payton did against the Colts in the Super Bowl. I think Belichick did one early in the game against the Skins in 2015. 

19 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Not too shabby. That's enough to get some sponsors.

Next "season" I think could be better when you have more guys who went undrafted this year, and guys who went unsigned in the NFL after playing there giving it a shot to get into a 2020 summer camp.

Pretty decent debut.  I agree, they had to put together a league with the players they could get.  Which is why we are seeing a lot of players that have been out of any type of football for some amount of time.  With the TV contract with the NFL Network and clear desire to be a complementary league to the NFL and what appears to be a decent brand of football, next year should be a lot better.

They should be able to sign better talent that is fresh out of college or just released from the NFL or undrafted.  Also knowing that if they sign with the AAF and get a good enough resume and get a call from an NFL team that they will be released from their contracts to pursue their dream, has to be a good selling point for them, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  

6 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Pretty decent debut.  I agree, they had to put together a league with the players they could get.  Which is why we are seeing a lot of players that have been out of any type of football for some amount of time.  With the TV contract with the NFL Network and clear desire to be a complementary league to the NFL and what appears to be a decent brand of football, next year should be a lot better.

They should be able to sign better talent that is fresh out of college or just released from the NFL or undrafted.  Also knowing that if they sign with the AAF and get a good enough resume and get a call from an NFL team that they will be released from their contracts to pursue their dream, has to be a good selling point for them, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  

Right. Think of it this way. Players who might end up in the CFL could play here also while hoping for that NFL camp invite.

Saturday Night....eh, I don't know if that's the best time for games. This is no football on elsewhere right now. Why not grab that Sunday afternoon spot?

I think Arena football will be hurt most by this. 

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Does anybody know if the out of high school 3 years rule that the NFL has is also in place for this league?

I Would assume it is because the NFL would never work in conjunction with the AAF and also threaten their already extremely prosperous farm system.

They said they will not sign players right out of high school or college players that are not three years removed from high school.  But the XFL says they are not upholding that rule for their league.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/02/08/pro-football-new-leagues-aaf-xfl-change-nfl-college-game/2800945002/

Archived