Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The alliance of American football

redskinss

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I really didn't see the issue with this league. It was good football in the offseason of NFL. Why should football only be played from August to February? 

I think it is just because that is what we're used to.  And I don't think timeframe was the only issue.  It's like going to a play on Broadway then expecting the same fans to be interested in your kids middle school play.

The issue was because of players and roster issues, which is why Dundon dropped out. If he didn't disagree with that the AAF would still be around. It was doing solid financially. 

The NFL shouldn't be the only football league in America. That's kind of ridiculous. If you went to college to play football and want to make a career out of it because that's what you love doing, shouldn't you be allowed to be paid to play in a minor league of football, so to speak? Every other sport has a minor league system. Even MLS! 

5 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I really didn't see the issue with this league. It was good football in the offseason of NFL. Why should football only be played from August to February? 

1. It was bad football.  Trent Richardson and Christian Hackenberg are starters.

2. They couldn't draw any fans. It's cold, outside of Orlando and Arizona.

3. The NFLPA wouldn't allow the league to use young players and serve as a feeder league for the NFL.

4. Football has, believe it or not, a saturation level. Thursday, Sunday, & Monday from August through December, and Saturday & Sunday in January. There is no need for Friday, Saturday, & Sunday March though June.

The vast majority of football fans will watch only if there is literally nothing else to watch. When replays of the best games from the past NFL season on NFL Network beat live football in the ratings, it's over.

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The issue was because of players and roster issues, which is why Dundon dropped out. If he didn't disagree with that the AAF would still be around. It was doing solid financially

The NFL shouldn't be the only football league in America. That's kind of ridiculous. If you went to college to play football and want to make a career out of it because that's what you love doing, shouldn't you be allowed to be paid to play in a minor league of football, so to speak? Every other sport has a minor league system. Even MLS! 

Solid? They needed an influx of $250M IN WEEK 2 to make payroll!!!!!!!! When smart people look at the numbers and walk away, one can safely assume it was not on solid financial footing.

2 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

1. It was bad football.  Trent Richardson and Christian Hackenberg are starters.

2. They couldn't draw any fans. It's cold, outside of Orlando and Arizona.

3. The NFLPA wouldn't allow the league to use young players and serve as a feeder league for the NFL.

4. Football has, believe it or not, a saturation level. Thursday, Sunday, & Monday from August through December, and Saturday & Sunday in January. There is no need for Friday, Saturday, & Sunday March though June.

The vast majority of football fans will watch only if there is literally nothing else to watch. When replays of the best games from the past NFL season on NFL Network beat live football in the ratings, it's over.

Solid? They needed an influx of $250M IN WEEK 2 to make payroll!!!!!!!! When smart people look at the numbers and walk away, one can safely assume it was not on solid financial footing.

But San Antonio had some of the best attendance of the league as did San Diego. 

9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Vince McMahon needs to take note of this instead of wasting time with the XFL version 2.

dude there is a league forming in Washington DC. There's gonna be a lot of people upset with Snyder who will support that team lol 

12 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Vince McMahon needs to take note of this instead of wasting time with the XFL version 2.

McMahon is going for big market approach.

But I don't have high hopes.  He seems to think he can compete with the NFL.  And thats not going to happen.   So McMahon is going to overinvest, and then crash and burn.  

Its a shame, the AAF was doing just about everything right, and the play on the field wasn't bad. 

48 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

But San Antonio had some of the best attendance of the league as did San Diego. 

Total by week: 

Week 1 - 76,838

Week 2 - 78,494

Week 3 - 56,312

Week 4 - 38,327

Week 5 - 54,313

Week 6 - 58,113

Week 7 - 65,279

Week 8 - 61,654

Total: 489,330 

Average by week:

Week 1 - 19,210

Week 2 - 19,624

Week 3 - 14,078

Week 4 - 9,582

Week 5 - 13,578

Week 6 - 14,528

Week 7 - 16,320

Week 8 - 15,414

Average: 15,292 

2 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Total by week: 

Week 1 - 76,838

Week 2 - 78,494

Week 3 - 56,312

Week 4 - 38,327

Week 5 - 54,313

Week 6 - 58,113

Week 7 - 65,279

Week 8 - 61,654

Average by week:

Week 1 - 19,210

Week 2 - 19,624

Week 3 - 14,078

Week 4 - 9,582

Week 5 - 13,578

Week 6 - 14,528

Week 7 - 16,320

Week 8 - 15,414

also remember this is essentially minor league football. IT wasn't supposed to be the NFL or big time. This was football in the offseason which would provide a job to people who couldn't make it in the NFL. What's wrong with that? 

The AAF did a lot of things right and even resolved their financial issues. The only reason it shut down was due to the owner squabbling about players and how the NFL would be able to claim them.  NFL could use a feeder league. That way less prospects would bust. You could see some players play in the feeder league, then get called up to the big time. The NBA kind of does this with the G league. This concept is most successful in MLB but NHL also uses it too. Why not NFL? 

30 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

Total by week: 

Week 1 - 76,838

Week 2 - 78,494

Week 3 - 56,312

Week 4 - 38,327

Week 5 - 54,313

Week 6 - 58,113

Week 7 - 65,279

Week 8 - 61,654

Average by week:

Week 1 - 19,210

Week 2 - 19,624

Week 3 - 14,078

Week 4 - 9,582

Week 5 - 13,578

Week 6 - 14,528

Week 7 - 16,320

Week 8 - 15,414

I don't think that attendance is too bad, and its not too far off from the CFL which is a viable league.  I think even some MLB teams have attedance in that range.  

Its tougher to make money on football than other sports because they play 1/4 of the games that basketball or hockey play.   On top of that, you have more players to play. 

I think they should have aired at least one game a week on CBS, not just the opener.   The opener got pretty good ratings. 

IT wasn't bad for minor league football. People look at those numbers compared to the NFL and think it's bad, well this league was never trying to be the NFL. It was basically a feeder league for NFL discards and other players. 

Well that sucks. I was looking forward to finally seeing another game this Sunday when they broadcast it on CBS Saturday at noon. I still stand by my belief that if it had been broadcast on TV, it would have gotten more interest. Locking it away on subscription services does not make it easy for people to find, and they needed as much attention as possible. I imagine it would have beat the infomercials broadcast in its place.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Well that sucks. I was looking forward to finally seeing another game this Sunday when they broadcast it on CBS Saturday at noon. I still stand by my belief that if it had been broadcast on TV, it would have gotten more interest. Locking it away on subscription services does not make it easy for people to find, and they needed as much attention as possible. I imagine it would have beat the infomercials broadcast in its place.

They initially put it on B/R Live but as the league gained popularity throughout the season they started to flex more games to TBS / TNT and CBS. 

This league didn't shut down because of money issues. It shut down because the owner took his ball and went home. That's it. 

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Also remember this is essentially minor league football. It wasn't supposed to be the NFL or big time. This was football in the offseason which would provide a job to people who couldn't make it in the NFL. What's wrong with that? 

The AAF did a lot of things right and even resolved their financial issues. The only reason it shut down was due to the owner squabbling about players and how the NFL would be able to claim them.  NFL could use a feeder league. That way less prospects would bust. You could see some players play in the feeder league, then get called up to the big time. The NBA kind of does this with the G league. This concept is most successful in MLB but NHL also uses it too. Why not NFL? 

The NFL has a practice squad.

The NFL drafts and signs UDFA from the NCAA.

There is nothing wrong with it, except for the fact it isn't financially viable.

30 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

There is nothing wrong with it, except for the fact it isn't financially viable.

And the NFL doesn't really need it.  They already have NCAA as a junior  league of sorts, plus the practice squad.   There's not a whole lot of need to keep players in reserve.  If injuries start mounting, they just sign people off the street. 

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

This concept is most successful in MLB but NHL also uses it too. Why not NFL? 

The fundamental problem is that there is only so much football the human body can play.

The NFL is not going to use it's practice squad guys for 16 weeks and then let them get chewed up in February, March, and April and then take them to camp in August. To "call someone up," the league needs to be running simultaneously with the NFL. And that would be stupid. Who is going to go to minor league football games in October? What city is missing competitive football at that part of the year? (High school games in my district can draw 20,000 people).

5 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Rush job.  I think the only reason the league even got CBS/NFL Network to air games was the fact Bill Polian and Charlie Ebersol- son of Dick Ebersol were involved.

They attempted to do this all within a year time frame.   You have make sure you have the financial portion secure first. How much the owners are willing to lose, while the league establish itself.  They had sell the league after the first week or two, bad sign there.

The XFL is doing it right. Taking their time and they have Vince McMahon's $$$$$$$.

13 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Rush job.  I think the only reason the league even got CBS/NFL Network to air games was the fact Bill Polian and Charlie Ebersol- son of Dick Ebersol were involved.

They attempted to do this all within a year time frame.   You have make sure you have the financial portion secure first. How much the owners are willing to lose, while the league establish itself.  They had sell the league after the first week or two, bad sign their.

The XFL is doing it right. Taking their time and they have Vince McMahon's $$$$$$$.

Yeah, this will be the difference. McMahon can absorb financial losses for a few years until they turn a profit. The AAF didn’t have the financial backing to sustain the losses. Now it looks like the league is over.

17 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

People honestly here ...no offense...have no clue what is going on with the AAF or XFL and just want to chime in to make some snarky comment like "hehehe nobodiezzzz watching!" when ratings were clearly improving and above said that they were the highest rated programs on their respective networks. "But we only need one NFL league we don't need any other football COMPETING with the NFL" lol this is literally spring football. The only reason it failed is because Dundon pulled out due to roster disagreements. If he never did that this league would still be around today. Other leagues can and will succeed, especially with committed ownership that doesn't bail over minor disagreements. 

Dundon essentially took his ball and went home :laugh: It is highly questionable that Vince would do that. 

The XFL as stated has kind of a bad image from what people remember in the early 2000's but if they can start discarding that stigma and just play football while implementing reasonable rule changes I think people can be won over. Guys, you don't need to watch only hockey and baseball this time of year. You can have football too. And the TV numbers show that.

Archived