Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per TMZ: Reuben Foster Cleared of Charges

OVCChairman

1 hour ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

The claiming of Foster really exposed the organization's own insecurities. It was clearly a desperation move. They likely believed that in an open market situation, they probably would have lost out on him. That revelation just underscores serval things about the washington culture, identity, etc, that many people are pinging. 

There are 32 teams. Even if they were the model franchise the chances he would have signed with them is pretty low. There are no ties aside from a few old teammates. It's not insecurity, it's realistic.

This is NOT surprising AT ALL.  I dont even know the guy, just looked into the situation and it was easy to see what was going on.  Reuben should distance himself from this woman ASAP.  Everyone freaking out about this move may now eat crow.  Stop being such fickle people and use your head.  This crap is going on all over the place. #Believethis

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I can sorta see RF not necessarily being "ideal" as a 3-4 ILB but I think he and SDH could pair well as SDH is the more cerebral and assignment based where RF is a freakish athlete with great range and a nose for the ball.

As far as Payne and Allen, not sure why you don't think they're suited to 3-4 in the way we run our scheme. If we were playing a lot of pure old school 3-4 where the DL guys are there solely to 2 gap and eat up blockers I might agree. But with our more 1 gap and Under alignment focused defense the guys we have a pretty ideal IMO as we have 3 excellent guys with the size and skills of 4-3 DTs. 

Besides, the whole "3-4 or 4-3" thing is borderline moot nowadays anyway seeing as how there's so much use of nickel and Under formations. 

WE played a ton of 2 D-line/nickle packages toward the end of the season, with just Payne and Allen on the line minus OLBs

Nothing says "I trust our scouting department, ability to attract players, and to sign the best free agents" like desperately signing a guy in the hopes that the horrible things he has been accused of for a 2nd-3rd time wont be proved to be true.

Theres a reason the Rams, Patriots, Seahawks etc did not even attempt to pick him up.  And it wasnt because he isnt a valuable player.  Its because if you truly believe in your franchise, your team culture, and the players you have brought in, you have no desire to bring in someone who may likely jeopardize that.  Those franchises believe in what they have done.   The Redskins do not.

Just now, NeverSurrender said:

This is NOT surprising AT ALL.  I dont even know the guy, just looked into the situation and it was easy to see what was going on.  Reuben should distance himself from this woman ASAP.  Everyone freaking out about this move may now eat crow.  Stop being such fickle people and use your head.  This crap is going on all over the place. #Believethis

Spot on. Look at the case from its beggining. I am no lawyer but I know when someone lies in court their word is as good as diarrhea. Add that to the fact she confessed to doing the same thing to another guy and it doesnt take Matlock to realize this case was going to be dropped. Yet for some it's far more addictive to be angry than it is rational.  It also gave the media something to bash us about. PR is never undone retroactively unfortunately but at the end of the day there will be black feathers coughed up in the media.

9 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

WE played a ton of 2 D-line/nickle packages toward the end of the season, with just Payne and Allen on the line minus OLBs

I don't think i was "freaking out" about this move, but let's not pretend that the Redskins did a bang up job of handling it.  Doug Williams calling domestic violence "small potatoes" was just one more thing to make this franchise look stupid and out of touch with reality.  There's only one reality the Redskins see, which is their own; the one where they're still a great, proud franchise and the waitlist exists and all the fans are super supportive.  

I agree Reuben should distance himself from this woman, 100%.  But let's not pretend Reuben is a saintly and misunderstood soul.  

3 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Nothing says "I trust our scouting department, ability to attract players, and to sign the best free agents" like desperately signing a guy in the hopes that the horrible things he has been accused of for a 2nd-3rd time wont be proved to be true.

Theres a reason the Rams, Patriots, Seahawks etc did not even attempt to pick him up.  And it wasnt because he isnt a valuable player.  Its because if you truly believe in your franchise, your team culture, and the players you have brought in, you have no desire to bring in someone who may likely jeopardize that.  Those franchises believe in what they have done.   The Redskins do not.

Patriots bring in trouble all the time. Seahawks have a guy on their roster guilty of insider trading.  All teams do it.

1 hour ago, Art said:

There's an opportunity to ASSURE you have a player with the upside to help your team out for years to come.

I'm talented enough of an evaluator to find another class LB. I don't even have to think about it, let alone worry about it. Frankly, I've advocated moves in the past which would have nullified the necessity to go after LB.

Others have too. For example @Dukes and Skins (Duke and Skins) was dead on the money about Bobby Wagner. One of many of his hits. His eval was trump-tight and his calculations on grade and projections of career achievements were correct. He also knew when to get him in the draft.

So, you see, when you’re good at talent evaluation, the acquisition of talent just seems effortless. And you can sustain yourself through periods of lulls and subside yourself when non-ideal investments present themselves. I'd argue that the Foster situation was/is a non-ideal investment. But more importantly the landing of that quality guy, like a Wagner, when you know it’s right, has a compounding ripple effect for years to come throughout the organization.

Essentially meaning you don't have to act out of desperation. 

Beyond that, as for me, I advocated Foster on equal footing with J. Allen for #17 overall in the 2017 draft.

Had I been in charge, the team may well have ended up with him, straight up.

There’s a thought for ya.

So, I'm that same guy now saying, I don't need to act with desperation over this situation. I can find the next quality draft LB because that ability exists independently in and of itself. I've spotted talent before Foster, I spotted Foster, I can spot talent after Foster. I don't have to live or die on Hill "DV" for R. Foster.

If, not only, I believe in my own ability to evaluate, but likewise believe in the ability of my organization to scout well and find another talented LB, whether through free agency or the draft, then I don't lose sleep over Foster. These opportunities exist every year, in multiple formats, and likewise throughout the season. Ample opportunity each year to find talent. This is not the last plane out of Saigon.

That ability can be said of any quality organization.

So, perhaps, PERHAPS, this washington organization acted as it did because they know, internally, that their total sum of moves over the years have yield dog poop at LB.

To be frank, again, washington acted in desperation. And I'll reiterate that point I made earlier, that this move also smacks of insecurity. If Dan and Bruce & gang were good at evaluation, this would be nothing but a blip on the radar screen. Foster coming and going like a transient firefly. But the insecurity of this organization to act with desperation, as if they certainly would not have landed Foster in a free for all situation, does, once again, reek of instability, insecurity and desperation.

Let’s face it, the only way to solve LB was to do something no one else in the league was willing to do. That is the definition of desperate.

So, when you add desperate to the equation on the total valuation of this organization’s decision making, you come away recognizing a disjointed “charter.”

Besides which, I'll repeat,  Foster is not playing the league mandated transcendent position, QB. Nor is he, I would argue, a generational talent. I’ll stop short of that because I don’t believe it.

21 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I wouldn't really call it a desperate signing seeing as how we didn't actually sign him to a contract, just picked up his rights off of waivers and said we'd make a decision about whether to keep him based on the outcome of his legal stuff and the NFL's investigation. Was it a risky move with lots of immediate PR backlash? Definitely. But with the charges dropped and if he keeps his nose clean from now on then we may have ended up with an enormous talent upgrade at a position of need.

31 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Spot on. Look at the case from its beggining. I am no lawyer but I know when someone lies in court their word is as good as diarrhea. Add that to the fact she confessed to doing the same thing to another guy and it doesnt take Matlock to realize this case was going to be dropped. Yet for some it's far more addictive to be angry than it is rational.  It also gave the media something to bash us about. PR is never undone retroactively unfortunately but at the end of the day there will be black feathers coughed up in the media.

Guy is still on the comissionner exempt's list.

Might stay there a while...

55 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Thank you for picking out the least important difference.  The prosecutor often drops charges because the accuser tells them they wont cooperate.

No, the real difference is that when charges are dropped that may or may not mean the prosecution thinks it didnt happen, it means they dont think they can convict.  If you paid attention to the last time he got charges dropped, the prosecutors dropped the charges, but said they thought he was guilty, however the accuser said she refused to cooperate and didnt want him charged.  This is completely different from being the prosecutor investigating the issue thoroughly, and deciding nothing happened and feeling he is clear.

Yes I operate in this realm for a living. I think I understand. 

Most DV victims don’t cooperate and the case goes on. 

2 hours ago, Art said:

Yes, he's on his rookie deal.   We owe him a very tiny base salary and NO bonus money.    This is why there was never any risk to the waiver claim.

There's no risk on Foster until he plays with us the next two years and plays well enough to earn a new contract with guarantees.  

He's got a 5th year option that we could pull the trigger on too. So we'd have him on the cheap for 3 years. 

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

The prosecutor often drops charges because the accuser tells them they wont cooperate.

This is not the case, at least not in Florida.  The victim is told immediately that regardless of what they want to do the SA will decide if they will prosecute or not.

I know this to be fact based on a situation that happened to someone close to me and I live in Tampa. 

I believe states do set their own rules on this so it's not the same across the board.

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

So lots of people crowing about the TMZ report about Foster. Seems very premature and even reckless - kind of like the morally bankrupt decision to sign him to start with. 

First, let's clear up some misinformation. TMZ reported he was cleared - that is not accurate based on the Tampa police. Their statement is below. There is a huge difference between "insufficient evidence to move forward with charges" and he has been cleared. 

Also, the real problem here - guilty or not - is that at the very least Foster has several times now made very poor decisions. And this is not just with the girlfriend. Let's not forget he failed a drug test already and got run off the combine. He also had a weapons change - yes I know it was dropped. That's 3 arrests just in 2018! How much smoke do you need to see it will eventually turn to fire! 

But just for argument sake, let's assume he is just an innocent bystander with extremely bad luck. Let's look at from just a football standpoint - he has already had several injury issues. He did not play after week 8. Also, there were questions in the draft about his surgically repaired shoulder. That's the whole bargain basement shopping thing again that bruce is infamous for. So let's say he does not get suspended - any bets on if he gets injured again?  

When you sign injury prone players-  guess what, they get injured. This team can ill-afford to take chances on guys like this. I still say this was a poor signing. 

Tampa prosecutors declined to file charges against ex-San Francisco 49er Reuben Foster on Wednesday, over a month after he was arrested for allegedly hitting his on-and-off girlfriend.

“We take allegations of domestic violence very seriously and thoroughly investigated the facts of this case,” said Estella Gray, a spokesperson for the Hillsborough County State Attorney’s Office. “After a meticulous review of the case, there was insufficient evidence to move forward with charges.”

The charges were DROPPED, so now you want to cry about injuries ..lol   He is by far better than any  LB we currently have on our roster, on a rookie contract to boot :)

HTTR! GREAT MOVE BY BRUCE & Co.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

I didn't think prosecutors had a great chance of winning in court without additional evidence because the victim in this instance previously admitted under oath that she made it all up in an attempt to extort Foster.  That torpedoes her credibility in a court room, no matter what we might think.  It would be interesting to know exactly why the prosecutor chose no to go forward with charges in this instance.  Was it a lack of corroborating evidence or did they find evidence to the contrary? 

According to Tampa prosecutors "There was insufficient evidence to file charges against Foster after a meticulous review of the facts of the case"

4 minutes ago, hailmary said:

The charges were DROPPED, so now you want to cry about injuries ..lol   He is by far better than any  LB we currently have on our roster, on a rookie contract to boot :)

HTTR! GREAT MOVE BY BRUCE & Co.

No one is "crying" about injuries. I brought them up when they claimed him.

I also brought up his other arrests when they claimed him. Had this been just what appear to be false claims - honestly I would have had no problem with it.  But he has shown repeatedly he makes poor decisions that jeopardize his career. 

Also, and this is actually pretty important - they said there was not enough evidence to move forward. That is very much different than being cleared.

You are entitled to your opinion, but so am I. It is my opinion that even ignoring the PR disaster this was when they claimed him, this will eventually blow up in their faces. His recent history, even ignoring the stuff with his girl friend, is that he makes very poor life decisions. He will be suspended again most likely. That puts him close to a year long suspension. And yes, even without all the off the field drama, he has not been able to stay healthy, in college or so far in the NFL. 

So why put the team through all the garbage for a guy who likely never sees the field and if he does and you begin to rely on him, base on his injury history and history of making poor decisions, it is very likely to be short lived. 

Long term, this is a bad decision. 

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see anything long term with this guy. He has anger issues. Do we honestly think that he is going to turn into some sort of boy scout and stop getting into trouble? Plus he is a Redskin. He will eventually get angry with the coaches and our loosing record. I just have a bad feeling but I hope I'm wrong

Archived