Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per TMZ: Reuben Foster Cleared of Charges

OVCChairman

This is why you let things play out legally before jumping to conclusions.  His accuser had a crazy history of false claims.  Two things...

1.  I hope Foster sues her

2.  I hope Foster COMPLETELY cuts ties with her.  She's almost derailed his career a couple of times.  He needs to smarten up.  Too many other good women out there than to constantly get caught up in the same mess with this girl. 

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Still not sure why the NFL would suspend him if charges were dropped. I suppose it happened, but police just couldn't bring charges due to her prior lies.

Ask Ezekiel Elliott how that went. He still got 6 games for basically the same situation and he doesn't have Foster's other past issues.

On a side note, and this is a nitpick, but the Redskins never "signed" Foster. I always seen it written that the Skins signed him, like he was a free agent off the street. But he wasn't. They claimed him off waivers. A technical difference, but I'm surprised how often I seen it written wrong, particularly by sports "journalists". 

1 hour ago, Art said:

Signing Foster was a great move when we made it purely from a football perspective.

It's a young player with zero cap consequence with significant upside at a SEVERE position of need.   If the domestic violence charge had merit we lose nothing by controlling his rights through a waiver claim.   And if, as was always likely the case, the charge amounted to nothing, you have a guy who was an elite college player who has the sort of upside to get excited about at that position.   While there was a PR hit based on the woke media about daring to sign a guy with ZERO football downside, the fact is, we're a football team.   

That said, and similar to Payne, he's NOT IDEAL in a 3-4.   I think he'd be masterful as a WILL backer in a 4-3.   I think Payne and Allen would be outstanding as 4-3 tackles.   I think our personnel so well aligns with a 4-3 I am going to BEG for someone to make that happen :).   Like Payne, though, where I think Payne is not ideal as a 3-4 nose, he CAN play there and Foster CAN play inside in the 3-4.   I'm just a bit worried about continuing to have personnel that would seemingly fit perfectly a system like the 4-3 yet we continue to run a 3-4.

Perhaps we’ll play nickel from time to time. 

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Good news!

paging Jason Witten (asshole)

I'm sure it's been said before, but I found it somewhat hypocritical for Witten to come out so strong against Fosters/the Redskins for a mere accusation when the dude played on a team with Ezekiel Elliott who went through very similar things. Where was his strong position back then against Elliott? Maybe I missed it, but it seemed like he was the supportive teammate and not critical of the team/Elliott for keeping him around.

Just now, Jericho said:

I'm sure it's been said before, but I found it somewhat hypocritical for Witten to come out so strong against Fosters/the Redskins for a mere accusation when the dude played on a team with Ezekiel Elliott who went through very similar things. Where was his strong position back then against Elliott? Maybe I missed it, but it seemed like he was the supportive teammate and not critical of the team/Elliott for keeping him around.

Not to mention embracing the Greg Hardy singing.  Go google what he said about that at the time.

20 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Made perfect sense to me at the time, only way I would have joined the mob is if it came out he did it and we continued to employ him. Extremely shrewd move if we're being real here.

But 95% took it as an opportunity to raise their pitchforks lol.

Indeed, it’s not particularly complicated. 

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Why do you consider it luck? 

Because they rolled the dice. No other way around it. There is no way they fully vetted the situation. They simply did not have time. And then they made up some stuff claiming they had talked to players, which ended up not being true, and the PD stated they had not reached out to them. They mucked up the entire situation in only the way they can. They rolled the dice and it came up 7. Luck was on there side. 

To be fair, I wasn't entirely against throwing the line out there. We desperately need the help at that position. As i've stated elsewhere, it is how the entire thing was handled that was the atrocity to me. 

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Perhaps we’ll play nickel from time to time. 

We play nickel, or 4-2-5, the majority of the time now.   We're a 3-4 base defense and we should just be a 4-3 base defense and make life easier :).

From the get-go, this was painted as a calculated risk...so I'm not sure where all the "they got lucky" comments are coming from other than a severe lack of desire to credit Allen and Snyder for anything right now. Saying it's a risk is pretty much saying "we hope to get lucky" lol...The risk was always 1) bad PR/optics no matter if innocent or guilty, and 2) he'd actually commit DV in the future even if nothing came of this charge. There's still risk involved, even with this news...it's just that now, the Skins have direct control over how much risk there is, which is important. Before they had none.

I just hope that, PR-wise, they play this the right way...which is to say, they don't say anything at all. This news speaks for itself, nothing else needs to be said. 

Like i said at the time, the Redskins should not apologize for considering someone innocent until proven guilty.  Especially in a case involving that woman.  

As far as the negative "PR hit", time passes and people forget.   Remember when saban left the dolphins.  Pure debacle.  But time passes, and he leads bama to five titles.  When you mention the name Nick saban, nobody is associating him with the dolphins.  When you mention Cris Carter, do you immediately picture him catching TDs for the Vikings or him getting cut for partying too hard with the eagles?

If, and it's a big if, rueben Foster is able to steer clear of trouble, these incidents will be mainly forgotten, he will be known solely for his football performance, and the skins could potentially have just added an all pro for nothing.  

16 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

This is why you let things play out legally before jumping to conclusions.  His accuser had a crazy history of false claims.  Two things...

1.  I hope Foster sues her 

2.  I hope Foster COMPLETELY cuts ties with her.  She's almost derailed his career a couple of times.  He needs to smarten up.  Too many other good women out there than to constantly get caught up in the same mess with this girl.  

You're right about not jumping to conclusions in these situations.  But I also wouldn't jump to the conclusion that she's the villain.  TBH, they both seem like they're in the wrong.  Reuben is pretty obviously emotionally damaged/stunted and I have no idea what her deal is.  Their relationship is clearly toxic and I can believe that it gets inappropriate and rough.

Regardless, shrill pearl clutching from the fanbase and sports talk world after we claimed him was so ****ing over the top.

Just now, dballer said:

Because they rolled the dice. No other way around it. There is no way they fully vetted the situation. They simply did not have time. And then they made up some stuff claiming they had talked to players, which ended up not being true, and the PD stated they had not reached out to them. They mucked up the entire situation in only the way they can. They rolled the dice and it came up 7. Luck was on there side. 

To be fair, I wasn't entirely against throwing the line out there. We desperately need the help at that position. As i've stated elsewhere, it is how the entire thing was handled that was the atrocity to me. 

Washington trusted the information they had and invested nothing but a waiver claim; Washington made a savvy move knowing they’d face faux hysteria — hardly is that luck. They are lucky he was available, but putting the claim in was uncharacteristically shrewd.

shrewd move by the organization.. kuddos.

saying that..and even though i defended him in the past.. the guy seems like another dumb douche. No confidence he stays out of trouble. May be Foster and Nickolson could be bunk mates.. that disaster would be more fun to watch than Redskins games.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

From the get-go, this was painted as a calculated risk...so I'm not sure where all the "they got lucky" comments are coming from other than a severe lack of desire to credit Allen and Snyder for anything right now. Saying it's a risk is pretty much saying "we hope to get lucky" lol...The risk was always 1) bad PR/optics no matter if innocent or guilty, and 2) he'd actually commit DV in the future even if nothing came of this charge. There's still risk involved, even with this news...it's just that now, the Skins have direct control over how much risk there is, which is important. Before they had none.

I just hope that, PR-wise, they play this the right way...which is to say, they don't say anything at all. This news speaks for itself, nothing else needs to be said. 

The luck part is that there were claims that they knew what they were doing after doing an "internal investigation". If they had actually done a thorough investigation, which i don't really believe, then it wouldn't be so much luck as a calculated risk. As you said it was painted as a calculated risk, i just don't believe the calculated part, so i don't give them credit for calculating. I give them credit for getting lucky. And I am glad they did get lucky. Sure, if they had a better track record of making good decisions i would be more apt to give them credit. But that isn't the case so...🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You're right about not jumping to conclusions in these situations.  But I also wouldn't jump to the conclusion that she's the villain.  TBH, they both seem like they're in the wrong.  Reuben is pretty obviously emotionally damaged/stunted and I have no idea what her deal is.  Their relationship is clearly toxic and I can believe that it gets inappropriate and rough.

Regardless, shrill pearl clutching from the fanbase and sports talk world after we claimed him was so ****ing over the top.

I agree...I only wish this news broke before a MNF game with the SKins where Witten was calling it. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Washington trusted the information they had and invested nothing but a waiver claim; Washington made a savvy move knowing they’d face faux hysteria — hardly is that luck. They are lucky he was available, but putting the claim in was uncharacteristically shrewd.

Part of being shrewd is the willingness to allow for luck, though, which the Redskins definitely did here. Then again, it's always said that you create your own luck.

And they invested more than a waiver claim, they invested goodwill from some of the fans. Which, let's face it, was in short supply at the time lol...

I said from the get-go that what the Redskins did was no different then what many other franchises have done plenty.  If people wanted to make an issue out of it, then complain at the league level, but don't try to pile onto one organization as if they are the first one to sign a player with a past.   49ers being regarded as the good guys for releases Foster? Ok how about how many chances they gave Aldon Smith?  Cowboys.....nothing needs to be said.  Steelers sweeping Rothelisburger's assault under the table?  The list goes on and on.  If the fans want stricter rules, or quicker bans on players with a past, fine, but take the grievance to the NFL as a whole.  Stop picking & choosing which teams are awful for doing it and which teams are "trying to win games"

4 minutes ago, dballer said:

The luck part is that there were claims that they knew what they were doing after doing an "internal investigation". If they had actually done a thorough investigation, which i don't really believe, then it wouldn't be so much luck as a calculated risk. As you said it was painted as a calculated risk, i just don't believe the calculated part, so i don't give them credit for calculating. I give them credit for getting lucky. And I am glad they did get lucky. Sure, if they had a better track record of making good decisions i would be more apt to give them credit. But that isn't the case so...🤷‍♂️

The Redskins never said that part in bold. Ever.

Gruden was asked if they did any investigation and he only said "a bit".

At the most, they said they did their own investigating but overwhelmingly they kept saying that putting in a claim would allow them to do an investigation along with what the NFL and the police were doing. We even had a large number of ES members making fun of the idea of only doing a true investigation after putting in the waiver claim. So no idea where you got that from.

8 minutes ago, volsmet said:

It is a big jump to make that they had "information". I am not taking their word for that one.

If they invested nothing, then they could lose nothing, which wouldn't make it very savvy. it would make it a no brainer. 

Archived