Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Craig Hoffman: Brian Lafemina, three other executives part ways with the Redskins

Boss_Hogg

On 12/26/2018 at 9:48 PM, normal_gymnasium said:

You may chuckle at this analogy, but this is exactly why women don't leave abusive men. They are afraid to change. They've never known another way. They are invested. The are tied to the abuser by friends and family, by tradition and routine. They think things will change, that somehow things will get better, but they generally get worse over time. The abuser pulls the same BS over and over again. It never ends until the abused dies or decides to leave.

Overall agree with your post (I'm also an ex-fan who, after weighing my values and priorities against the team, decided to walk away and not support them) but I did want to say that in situations like these, there's also a material element at play where abusers hold immense power over their victims (they're the primary breadwinner, they own the house/have the lease in their name, they own the car, they hold special privileges over their children, etc.). This is even more precarious if they live in a place with little to no support infrastructure for survivors. The psychological hold abusers is definitely a big factor but in more than a few cases, victims cannot leave without putting themselves and their dependents in even greater risk.

To bring it back to the franchise, I see a lot of the psychological with fans but not as much of the material. As a matter of fact, the franchise need us way more than we need them, especially when it comes to getting public land for this new stadium. Though there are a lot of safety nets for these team owners to remain fabulously wealthy despite fielding a wretched product, they don't really have anything on the general public from a material standpoint. 

https://www.marketplace.org/2015/03/19/business/are-pro-sports-teams-economic-winners-cities

“If you ever had a consensus in economics, this would be it," says Michael Leeds, a sports economist at Temple University.  "There is no impact."

Leeds studied Chicago – as big a sports town as there is, with five major teams.

“If every sports team in Chicago were to suddenly disappear, the impact on the Chicago economy would be a fraction of 1 percent,” Leeds says. “A baseball team has about the same impact on a community as a midsize department store.”

That’s for a sport with 80 home games a year. NFL teams only play eight regular season games.

For all their wealth and influence, we've got to remember this: we need them more than they need us

Good point here from Hoffman which is its easy to follow a team now regardless of where you are at.  I am in South Florida but I can get 106.7 and 980 and listen to it nonstop.  Via direct TV I get all the Redskins pregame, postgame shows,  Redskins Nation, etc.   I am listening and watching more DC sports by a mile over any local stuff.  But people can do the same with any team now.

As for kids staying Redskins fans.  I've put way too much energy into it.  But so far so good.  Am i torturing my kids for doing so.   Not yet.  I've shielded them from Dan and Bruce thus far.  😎

On 12/26/2018 at 3:42 PM, Fresh8686 said:

I hate what these assholes have done to my team.

This is what weak, insecure people do and the destruction they cause when they're in "leadership" positions is simply staggering. The steady, rapid and steep downfall of this once proud organization is a just a microcosm of what such a mental midget mentality brings. it's just sad. 

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I've decided that rooting for the Vikings to make the Paloffs and win the SB with Kirk Cousins being voted MVP.

That should seal the coffin around Bruce.

I don’t have a lot of belief that will happen, both the Vikings winning a SB this season or it sealing

Bruce’s coffin.

But just the thought of Bruce and Dan watching Kirk in the playoffs, even winning one game, soothes my soul a bit.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like the perfect storm for a possible change is the Redskins blown out this Sunday and the Vikings win.

I've been hearing for about the last month that another blowout loss would most likely get someone fired. Now it comes down to a Divisional game at home. If the Eagles with Nick Foles hang 40-50 points on the D & it's not a shootout on offense, then I think Manusky is packing his bags & most likely Tomsula takes over as DC.

1 minute ago, TK said:

I've been hearing for about the last month that another blowout loss would most likely get someone fired. Now it comes down to a Divisional game at home. If the Eagles with Nick Foles hang 40-50 points on the D & it's not a shootout on offense, then I think Manusky is packing his bags & most likely Tomsula takes over as DC.

Thanks for sharing TK.

I’d love to see the Skins send the Eagles home for the offseason with a loss.  With all of the “can Foles do it again” hype, it’d be great if Josh Johnson and the crew knocked them out. 

16 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Thanks for sharing TK.

I’d love to see the Skins send the Eagles home for the offseason with a loss.  With all of the “can Foles do it again” hype, it’d be great if Josh Johnson and the crew knocked them out. 

Yeah I'll take our trash coordinator getting fired over a meaningless win. Plus it creates more talk in Philly of keeping Foles instead of Wentz.

35 minutes ago, TK said:

More band-aids on a severed leg.

Manusky isn't great. But he isn't the problem.

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Never had anything against them, and if that can help Bruce being shown the door, then why not? After all it's not like rooting for the Giants or the Eagles against the Patriots...

I can't be a hypocrite and EVER root for KC. There were guys like Trent who played hurt to protect his sorry zz. Players who are late in their careers who were duped into thinking KC would stick with the group and pull this franchise up with them.  His Coach who stuck his neck out for him and whose job is VERY suspect right now...*I* think had KC stayed..we'd be in the POffs and these guys earned it. Ya, I know Bruce/Dan owns this too and I support anything that would get rid of these guys (except rooting for KC)

He is worse than Haynesworth IMHO...worse than Giants/Eagles/Cowboys combined and that's coming from a George Allen Over The hill Gang fan.

37 minutes ago, TK said:

This is just another glimpse into the filth that is the Redskins FO.  That the rumors around the park are related to someone getting fired due to a blowout loss in a lost season, rather than the overall sum of its parts, and how it got there.  More emotional decisions, can't wait!

6 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I can't be a hypocrite and EVER root for KC. There were guys like Trent who played hurt to protect his sorry zz. Players who are late in their careers who were duped into thinking KC would stick with the group and pull this franchise up with them.  His Coach who stuck his neck out for him and whose job is VERY suspect right now...*I* think had KC stayed..we'd be in the POffs and these guys earned it. Ya, I know Bruce/Dan owns this too and I support anything that would get rid of these guys (except rooting for KC)

He is worse than Haynesworth IMHO...worse than Giants/Eagles/Cowboys combined and that's coming from a George Allen Over The hill Gang fan.

What are you talking about? Kirk asked for a market level contract and clown Bruce offered bull****. And that pathetic video where Bruce was like look at all this money we offered, ignoring that almost all of it was non-guaranteed. And of course plenty of dumb fans bought it hook, line and sinker.

He's worse than a guy who literally took naps during plays simply for asking for a fair contract? The team kept him hostage in negotiations not vice versa.

12 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

What are you talking about? Kirk asked for a market level contract and clown Bruce offered bull****. And that pathetic video where Bruce was like look at all this money we offered, ignoring that almost all of it was non-guaranteed. And of course plenty of dumb fans bought it hook, line and sinker.

He's worse than a guy who literally took naps during plays simply for asking for a fair contract? The team kept him hostage in negotiations not vice versa.

Now going to rehash...just reread my posts. My opinion..my position.. EOL

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good point here from Hoffman which is its easy to follow a team now regardless of where you are at.  I am in South Florida but I can get 106.7 and 980 and listen to it nonstop.  Via direct TV I get all the Redskins pregame, postgame shows,  Redskins Nation, etc.   I am listening and watching more DC sports by a mile over any local stuff.  But people can do the same with any team now.

Thank you for posting this because Hoffman hit the nail on the head. The only reason I was ever a 'Skins fan to begin with is because I'm from the D.C. Area and I come from a long line of 'Skins fans. But even in my Alexandria, VA elementary school in the early 2000s, I would catch hell for wearing my 'Skins jacket. In Alexandria, Virginia, folks. They'd already lost my generation when we were little. Unless they were indoctrinated harder than I was growing up, how on Earth could the little ones now be 'Skins fans? What possible appeal could there be, even if they live in the area? 

It's not the 1950s anymore where the only other team in town was run even worse than the 'Skins were/are. Washington is big time now and has teams in the four major North American sports leagues, the WNBA, Major League Soccer, and a number of relatively high profile college athletic programs (among many others). Furthermore, our tastes are more diverse and the internet has not only allowed us to gravitate to other teams but to other sports. How many 16-year-old kids here in the states were walking around in Liverpool or ManU kits back when GPM owned the team? We're not even confined to sports on our own continent anymore. Why the hell would anyone spend their time and money on the 'Skins as they are right now?

To reiterate what I said earlier: the 'Skins need the D.C. Area and its residents way more than it needs them and at least one generation understands that. That may very well become two. 

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Can’t make this stuff up.

Now and only now, is it dysfunctional. 🤣  Sure, #FireBruceAllen is trending on twitter because the dysfunction just started.  

The only thing certain is that you hate being wrong more than we enjoy being right.  You could just show up and take your medicine and admit that perhaps all the hub bub about Bruce and Dan being living, breathing pieces of crap was accurate all along.  But no, like I’ve said on numerous occasions, there is no satisfaction in “being right” vs. people who will never eat their crow anyways.  

If there is one thing that I think escapes you the most, it’s that we care more about this team than you do whether you know it or not.  We despise the guys pulling the strings primarily because of how it impacts the Redskins players, coaches and fanbase.  Continuing to buy their BS and convince yourself all is swell is exactly what they want you to do.  Hook, line and sinker.   

Can’t make it up? That was me admitting I was wrong lol.

I thought the Cousins and Scott fiascos were mostly noise and were wrongly overshadowing a lot of the good going on. Not the case. You were right I was wrong and the circus is back in town. Or never left I suppose.

I get you dislike me, but please save the attacks on my fan hood. I’ve never done that to you, the only thing I attack is how your fanhood is rooted. Perhaps as I age my name will be batteredfansyndrome jr and we can cheers over some cold beverages.

The only fans I will attack are the ones who up and leave. Get outta here.

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Yeah I'll take our trash coordinator getting fired over a meaningless win. Plus it creates more talk in Philly of keeping Foles instead of Wentz.

I've read the Foles boat has sailed in Philly. 

The way his contract works is that both sides have an option. The Eagles can choose to honor the 2019 one year, ~$20M deal, but Foles can also give back a $2M payment for this  year and force his free agency.

By all accounts that's what's going to happen. The team can't afford to franchise him, so they will let him hit free agency and get a comp pick in the process. 

We can pretend it's a QB controversy that will rip apart the team, but at the end of they day they will have Wentz and a 2020 3rd rounder. 

Personally I'm okay with this. Wentz has been hurt a lot in college and the pros. That team might only be able to go as far as their backup QB can take them and if that's the case the sooner Foles is gone the better. 

1 hour ago, TK said:

If we drop our final two home divisional games in blowout losses after starting the season 2-0 in the division, and the only casualty is our DC then we are cooked. This is what happens though...since I know nothing will change, I'm forced to just hope that THIS group can figure it out. I'm a sucker and I'm loyal, so that's what I'll do. 

If it's nearly certain that Gruden is coming back though, I would LOVE us to rise up and beat Philly. How cool would that be? He used to have their number too, so maybe...?

1 hour ago, TK said:

I've been hearing for about the last month that another blowout loss would most likely get someone fired.

But... but... but...

They just fired one guy already!

53 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

I could agree on this, but you can just blame Bruce for this... He was the architect behind this really. But we can discuss that in PM if you want, not the thread for it.

17 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Thank you for posting this because Hoffman hit the nail on the head. The only reason I was ever a 'Skins fan to begin with is because I'm from the D.C. Area and I come from a long line of 'Skins fans. But even in my Alexandria, VA elementary school in the early 2000s, I would catch hell for wearing my 'Skins jacket. In Alexandria, Virginia, folks. They'd already lost my generation when we were little. Unless they were indoctrinated harder than I was growing up, how on Earth could the little ones now be 'Skins fans? What possible appeal could there be, even if they live in the area? 

It's not the 1950s anymore where the only other team in town was run even worse than the 'Skins were/are. Washington is big time now and has teams in the four major North American sports leagues, the WNBA, Major League Soccer, and a number of relatively high profile college athletic programs (among many others). Furthermore, our tastes are more diverse and the internet has not only allowed us to gravitate to other teams but to other sports. How many 16-year-old kids here in the states were walking around in Liverpool or ManU kits back when GPM owned the team? We're not even confined to sports on our own continent anymore. Why the hell would anyone spend their time and money on the 'Skins as they are right now?

To reiterate what I said earlier: the 'Skins need the D.C. Area and its residents way more than it needs them and at least one generation understands that. That may very well become two. 

It's a good point but I think it works both ways. We aren't FORCED to be fans of the Skins, but it's also easier for people who leave the area to stay fans. Back in the 1950s, if you moved from DC to Chicago, you might not even know that the Redskins won/lost a game until later that evening on the news or something. Now you can watch it.

It also possibly explains why there are fewer local fans than we had 30 years ago. With millions of people relocating TO Washington, they can keep their loyalties much easier than they could in 1981. So, I bet it was more common for people to adopt the Redskins (or the Cowboys to be contrarian) back then...whereas now many of those same people are Dolphin, Cardinal, or Panther fans still. 

In the end, I don't think that plays into it too much. If you are going to bail on a team you've been a fan of...you'll bail on them with or without Sunday Ticket. 

2 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Idk, man...I think you have been seriously duped as to how all the Cousins contract stuff went down, and are misplacing your anger big time. 

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I guess it's logical, but I always hesitate when I hear a player give his input or opinion on why something like that is happening. How does Jamison Crowder actually know why he pulls a hamstring or how does Paul Richardson actually know why his knee and shoulder went to Hell? 

And, being overwhelmed in games really isn't the same as getting beat up or injured. But, I'm sure you know more about this than I do...I just don't put much stock in players knowing why they got hurt and diagnosing the issue. After all, this group of players who apparently thinks they should be going harder in practice is also reportedly grumbling when he tries to go harder in practice. I realize that's on him, but it lends to why I don't always take their opinions as Gospel. 

Why do we fall?   So we learn to get back up.

In Minnesota, very recently, they took away checking in hockey for kids under 13.   This means a kid won't get hit until he's 13.   He won't learn to fall on the ice and take a blow until he's playing with kids who also don't know how and who are big enough to deliver an effective blow.   He won't learn how to hit the ice.   He won't learn out to protect his body.   In a generation, you watch, there will be stories about hockey players struggling with body issues they've never had before because instead of teaching them how to hit and take a hit when they are younger and are at relative minimal threat, they are being taught when they are older and in much more danger.

This applies to football and all sports.   You play how you practice.   You are, simply, less prone to injury by doing the things you'll be required to do in the game at full speed if you do them in practice MORE at as close to full speed as practice allows, which is NEVER the same speed as a game.    We are lax in how we prep, which is why there are constantly so many blow assignments.   We are lax in how we prep, which is why there are always so many physical ailments.   We may lead the league in fewest practice injuries, which is meaningless if we always lead the league in game injuries.   I'd rather lose three or four players to practice injury than 21 to game injury.   Now, it's obviously not linear.   There will be years a team that bangs hard will complain about why that wore them down and they took injuries.   We've seen that all the time too.

The difference is there is the norm and there is the outlying event.    OUR norm is CONSTANT league leading loss in games by starters and IR players.   That's our baseline.   Once in five years we'll not have that and perform above the average.   I'd rather reverse that and once in five years have a dismal year because we practice so hard we wear out sooner than someone else, but in the other four years, we start strong because we are more physical in camp than other teams and we survive season-ending injuries because we have done more hitting to avoid the types of things that really can be avoided in many cases through repetitions.   Obviously, football injuries will occur.   But it's hard not to equate how we work with how our injuries constantly hit when it is so regular a thing.   

Archived