Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Craig Hoffman: Brian Lafemina, three other executives part ways with the Redskins

Boss_Hogg

So reading through some of the threads and the reporting that Lafemina was going to resign anyway, so Dan/Bruce decided to make the move and get rid of him and the others. A few factors that are being mentioned:

1) Reuben Foster: were a bunch of suite holders going to stop going over this signing? Was Lafemina going to resign over it?  It is something that is hard to believe.

2) Bruce's jealousy: what exactly did Bruce have to be jealous of?  Was Lafemina really getting a whole lot of credit for anything? Attendance from a butts in seats perspective had fallen fairly substantially this year, so one could argue Lafemina's strategy of starving the secondary market was backfiring.

3) Dismal attendance: see #2.  What observations did Lafemina have and recommendations did he make for Dan to take going forward?  Was Dan receptive to them? It doesn't appear so.

I know that with the new TV contracts, Dan probably doesn't care "as much" about butts in seats. But that doesn't mean he doesn't care at all.  The optics of the stadium seating bowl must've really grated on him. The question remains, what are they going to do about it?

52 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

my vote is Matt Millen.

ok, to clarify.  not that I want Matt Millen.  :)

Jokes aside Matt Millen is actually really sick. He got a heart transplant on Christmas Eve. He's lost a lot of weight and is unrecognizable 

15 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

1) Reuben Foster: were a bunch of suite holders going to stop going over this signing? Was Lafemina going to resign over it?  It is something that is hard to believe.

I don't find it hard to believe that folks spending big money on suites have a problem with signing Reuben Foster and that it doesn't make Brian's job any easier trying to sell those suites.  I don't find it hard to believe that Bruce believes Brian should stick to business and leave the football side alone, as he's never shown the ability to understand how they intersect.  I do find it hard to believe that the Reuben Foster signing would be the sole reason for resigning.  You have to remember that Brian has been dealing with Dan regularly.  Not a chance their differences in opinion started and ended with Reuben Foster.

19 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

2) Bruce's jealousy: what exactly did Bruce have to be jealous of?  Was Lafemina really getting a whole lot of credit for anything? Attendance from a butts in seats perspective had fallen fairly substantially this year, so one could argue Lafemina's strategy of starving the secondary market was backfiring.

It's rather well known that Bruce Allen despises 106.7 The Fan.  He really disliked that "Kurt" continued his relationship with them for his weekly show as he wanted everything to be ran through the team.  LaFemina came right in and extended the olive branch to 106.7.  He sat with the Junkies for an hour at least once and talked about all the ways they were changing things to create a better fan experience.  He admitted on that very channel without saying the exact words, that the waiting list was a farce.    Basically, LaFemina was saying without saying, that the way the Redskins have been doing business stunk and he was going to change it.  I don't see how it's a stretch that Bruce would perceive praise and recognition of Brian's efforts as a slight to him.  LaFemina's plan was not to sell out FedEx field this year, in fact he made it rather clear that the organization had a long ways to go repairing the relationship with the fanbase.  It's a tad bit early to be saying his plan "backfired".  Only someone with the short sighted and emotional mindset of Dan Snyder could see it that way. 

26 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

3) Dismal attendance: see #2.  What observations did Lafemina have and recommendations did he make for Dan to take going forward?  Was Dan receptive to them? It doesn't appear so.

As I said above, the plan to repair the relationship with the fanbase and get Redskins fans back to FedEx was certainly going to take longer than 1 lackluster season.  It's rather apparent that Dan wasn't receptive to them.  But why did Dan hire the guy in the first place?  It's like he hired LaFemina to come in and assess the situation and provide Dan with a summary that their misfortunes are all just bad luck.

1 hour ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

Seems like a lot of people are hinting on Twitter that its going to be Louis Riddick. Regardless of who it is, if Bruce and Dan are still there nothing will change. They fooled us once with Scott...i wont let that happen again.

That would be the only name that makes any sense whatsoever.  Except Riddick isnt stupid.  I doubt he's showing up with Bruce still there and Gruden sticking around.  Why would anybody?  But who knows.  

We blame Bruce, but truthfully no GM lasts this long with this much failure without being lock-and-step with the owner. I personally feel Allen's main jobs are to do whatever Snyder wants while taking all the negative attention away from him. 

We'll never get the truth, but here's what I feel happened:

- They realized there was a PR problem, so they hired some qualified people to come in and help. 

- In the first year that team focused on understanding the Redskins franchise and listening to the fan base around on how they can improve the experience.

- When the team assembled finally approached Snyder/Allen with their recommended changes Snyder/Allen didn't like what he heard and fired everyone. 

IMO that scenario makes the most sense. If it is the case then here's where this franchise stands - Organizationally it can identify problems, but paralyzed to fix them.

That's extremely sad.  

30 minutes ago, justice98 said:

That would be the only name that makes any sense whatsoever.  Except Riddick isnt stupid.  I doubt he's showing up with Bruce still there and Gruden sticking around.  Why would anybody?  But who knows.  

Here's the thing about Riddick...if he's ultimately answering to Bruce Allen, it won't matter how good he is. But, the reason this wouldn't surprise me is because the Redskins have been very good at re-directing attention. I hope I don't get killed for this, but I could see them not only hiring a GM but also hiring a minority just so they can point to that and get positive coverage to off-set the well-deserved negative coverage. 

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

it is the case then here's where this franchise stands - Organizationally it can identify problems, but paralyzed to fix them.

That's because everything comes back to Snyder/Allen....they can't admit they've killed this organization and make the necessary changes to fix it (e.g. sell the team/resign).

48 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As I said above, the plan to repair the relationship with the fanbase and get Redskins fans back to FedEx was certainly going to take longer than 1 lackluster season.  It's rather apparent that Dan wasn't receptive to them.  But why did Dan hire the guy in the first place?  It's like he hired LaFemina to come in and assess the situation and provide Dan with a summary that their misfortunes are all just bad luck.

I think they hired this team hoping they would act as 'consultants' and just fix all their PR problems. When the team came back and said the organization needs to change some things internally the ownership just ignored all recommendations. 

Snyder wants someone to take away all the issues while making no material changes to how he operates. The real issue is the culture, which can't be changes without the top of the organization buying in. 

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Here's the thing about Riddick...if he's ultimately answering to Bruce Allen, it won't matter how good he is. But, the reason this wouldn't surprise me is because the Redskins have been very good at re-directing attention. I hope I don't get killed for this, but I could see them not only hiring a GM but also hiring a minority just so they can point to that and get positive coverage to off-set the well-deserved negative coverage. 

Hell they might hire a random Native American right off the Reservation.

Just now, Barry.Randolphe said:

That's because everything comes back to Snyder/Allen....they can't admit they've killed this organization and make the necessary changes to fix it (e.g. sell the team/resign).

I would ask you this - Have they really killed the organization? There's no denying the record, but it's also more profitable than ever. What if Snyder is just judging the organization's success on his own financial gains? In that case it's wildly successful. The real thing we have to root for is that Snyder gets a sweetheart deal for a new stadium and decides to cash in. 

18 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Certainly within the realm of possibility.  Wouldnt put it past them.  They're desperate for something they can spin positively.

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Agreed. Mind boggling that a billionaire operates with such a mindset.

Well, if you became a billionaire with that mindset why would you change it? 

successful people often feel they succeeded because of something unique to them. I doubt Snyder feels he got luck buying a team just before that league blew up, but rather that he picked a great time to buy a team and his ownership helped galvanize the league. Do you think Snyder ever looks in the mirror and says 'I have to change' or does he look in the mirror and say 'I am somehow uniquely special and I'll continue to win because of who I am'?

2 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

**** me, not Riddick.

Why must we keep retreading proven failures.

Fully agree with you there. 

We, the fans, think of Riddick because he's a name we know and he's been in media since being fired in 2013. The team that fired him (Philly) sort of built a championship roster with his replacements, so its not like he was ever had any meaningful success in that role. 

IMO Riddick is like some of these coaches that have become analysts. They are polished and give you a nice glimpse into what that world does, but they were never good enough within that industry to stick. His scouting background helped his media career. It's faulty to think his media career will now have any added value in player evaluations. 

Same for Mayock, Brooks, Davis, Kiper, etc... We like these guys because they can dumb down how the sausage is really made. The problem is that they specialize in talking about about making sausage as opposed to actually making it. 

4 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I would ask you this - Have they really killed the organization? There's no denying the record, but it's also more profitable than ever. What if Snyder is just judging the organization's success on his own financial gains? In that case it's wildly successful. The real thing we have to root for is that Snyder gets a sweetheart deal for a new stadium and decides to cash in. 

The team was most profitable when Gibbs was here. Forbes had the Redskins listed as the 4th most valuable sports team back in 2012....since 2012, they've fallen as far back as 11th. Yes, it's worth $3.10B, but they're not keeping pace with the other teams anymore. You're probably right, Snyder is sitting back watching the team value gain interest while he pinches pennies and trots out a perpetual loser.

Archived