Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Cut DJ Swearinger!

skinfan2k

In another thread about Swearinger a day ago, I had said that I thought he was either doing this for himself which implied he might want to get cut by the Skins or he truly wanted to make the defense better by speaking out.  Now I think he knew by going to the press this time it might do the trick to get him released.  He knows his buddy no. 24 will not be back next year too.

Interesting to see the split in opinions on here.  Maybe not an even split, but nonetheless...

Was it reasonable to cut him?  Maybe. 

Should they have tried to trade him?  Probably.  

Was Swearinger a good player for us?  Yes. 

Did cutting him weaken the team?  Yes and (maybe) no.  Talent-wise, yes. Could it be a positive move toward a better culture?  Maybe. 

Was it poorly done optics-wise?  Absolutely.  

Are the situations comparable between Swearinger and Norman/Foster?  Not really, IMO.  

Should they discipline someone differently due to their talent?  I don’t believe so.  

Possibly the most important question, was this Gruden’s decision or Allen/Snyder’s?  I don’t know.  

On balance, I think they handled it pretty darn poorly.  I don’t blame them for disciplining him - he absolutely deserved some kind of serious retribution - but the timing and optics were poor, and the decision to not seek a trade was poor.  Ugh.... so freakin’ Redskins.  

12 minutes ago, Art said:

This is pretty much why I'm visiting today.   This move is an astoundingly good sign -- if you feel the coaching staff is not part of our problem -- that our staff is returning in tact next year.   The front office doesn't allow this move if there are questions about the staff or, hell, the front office.   For the most part Swearinger's chatty nature has been good for us, as fans, to understand differences with our staff and others.   We ARE soft.   Period.

There's a reason we're ALWAYS the most injured team in the league.    Because we are soft in practice.    This is a common theme.   Gruden has created that culture and it CLEARLY doesn't work.   Yes, we win the division this year if the team is modestly healthy.   But this team will NEVER be while this is our culture and D.J. kind of gave us visibility in to that.   Now, his closing comments about how we should be in zone more does call in to question whether he's actually full of **** frankly.

We are the worst zone defense in creation largely because our four linebackers are all LIMITED laterally, except MAYBE Zach Brown, who lacks great instincts.   In any case, calling for us to go zone is BEGGING us to get torched play after play after play like has happened CONSTANTLY all year.   Moreau getting called on that play is ludicrous.   The defense actually worked.   We actually had people covered even.    Refs made a bad call.    But that wasn't a bad call by Manusky who has made a ton of them :).   So seeing D.J. beg us to play zone in that situation is jarring as you KIND of thought he had a clue and if he doesn't know by now that we suck in zone then he's not watching the film he suggests he's watching.   

In NO WAY, though, do you cut that man IF the organization has even the slightest inkling there's change coming.   No way Snyder allows Bruce to allow Williams to allow it :).   And for me, seeing the SAME core issue yearly with Gruden, I can say I'm ready to move on.   So this is a sad thing for me because he'll be back.   Unless he's willing to change the system that is clearly broken -- and this isn't even play calling, it's HOW YOU WORK -- then this is depressing, because the team will be broken, again, by week 8.

I think Gruden's teams could win.   If they were ever healthy.   He just doesn't know how to coach an environment where that's possible as his general demeanor is to be a little too loose, detail averse and soft for players to make it through a season in tact enough for the positives of Gruden to ultimately win.   Now, he CAN correct that.   He CAN go harder.  He CAN demand more attention to detail.   And he can be tough.

Cutting D.J. KIND of IS tough.   If that's a sign of the new Gruden, maybe by week 8 next year we won't suck again :).

Good seeing you hear Art, wish you were around more, but I understand. As for your comment, I agree, the team, because of Gruden is soft, and relies too much on oft-injured players. And Swearinger would not be cut if there a plan to make coaching and FO moves this offseason. All of which means it might be time for me to move on from this ****storm of a team.

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

Mason Foster says **** this team and the Redskins get his back.

Swearenger calls out the coach and he gets cut.

Redskins get a guy on waiver wire who is allegedly a woman beater.

This team is all over the ****ing place and has no clue wtf to do.

This post right here is why I want Allen and Gruden gone!!!!

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

He actually doesn't prefer sheep.  He prefers players who will give everything for the team and accept their roles will change on a weekly basis.  Here in Redskins Land, we give preference to big money and where you are drafted.  BB doesn't give a damn about that. You show in practice that you are the best and you play. 

It's known that Billichick has a strict media policy for all of his players.  He only allows them to comment on specific topics and a ton of topics are strictly off limits.  And his players that don't know what they can or can't talk about usually won't say hardly anything in fear of losing their roster spots. 

This works because he is a future HOF coach that has won multiple Super Bowls, which gives him more leverage than the average coaches.  And he established those rules from the get go and enforced them.  I agree that players shouldn't openly bash teammates, coaches, organization, etc. regardless if I really don't care about them doing so.  There should be actions for their consequences.  What I don't like is how nothing was done about this after the first incident.  

Instead of nipping this in the bud, Jay allowed this type of behavior to go unpunished over an extended period of time with warnings/talks instead of fining him (if that is something they can fine him for) or benching him (for a quarter, a half, a game, etc.).  By not setting the tone, Jay and the rest of his staff failed.  I'm not saying that DJ isn't a grown ass man that should know better, he is, but when nothing is done about it, it encourages the behavior. 

The solution was not cutting a top 10 safety in week 17 when you have been officially eliminated from the playoffs.  And not trying to get anything in return for him.  I don't care if it's repeated behavior or not, if you didn't do anything about it the other 3 or 4 times, that's on you.  I'm willing to bet that if the Vikes, Seahawks and Eagles had lost, and there was still a chance at making the playoffs, he does not get cut.

You can't set the tone after you played your 15th game of the season.  Which is why **** like this just continues to expose just how ****ing clueless this organization, FO and coaching staff are.  

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Interesting to see the split in opinions on here.  Maybe not an even split, but nonetheless...

Was it reasonable to cut him?  Maybe. 

Should they have tried to trade him?  Probably.  

Was Swearinger a good player for us?  Yes. 

Did cutting him weaken the team?  Yes and (maybe) no.  Talent-wise, yes. Could it be a positive move toward a better culture?  Maybe. 

Was it poorly done optics-wise?  Absolutely.  

Are the situations comparable between Swearinger and Norman/Foster?  Not really, IMO.  

Should they discipline someone differently due to their talent?  I don’t believe so.  

Possibly the most important question, was this Gruden’s decision or Allen/Snyder’s?  I don’t know.  

On balance, I think they handled it pretty darn poorly.  I don’t blame them for disciplining him - he absolutely deserved some kind of serious retribution - but the timing and optics were poor, and the decision to not seek a trade was poor.  Ugh.... so freakin’ Redskins.  

Talent is the number one two and three factor in the nfl . The redskins don’t understand that and this is a prime example.

I remember hearing the comment about the cowboys cutting a player for falling asleep in a meeting and when asked if it had been one of their star players the comment was well I would have got him a pillow...

This coming from a relative pro Jay person but at best I am on the fence on him today -- some of the most biting Swearinger comments haven't made it to twitter.

He didn't only say Arians' practices are 10 times more intense but he also said other players arrive here from other teams and have told him they are surprised how easy and laid back practices are here compared to where they came from previously.  He said if you prepare in a mediocre fashion than you play mediocre and the team's record is a reflection of their preparation. 

DJ's third strike was out. Can't be a dick forever is the message. He's kind of indicted a split between her DL group and the LB/DB group. Maybe that's because one is good and the other sucks.

Not fully defending the FO at all, buts he's done a couple of years here which is one more than most other places. 

I sugested a complete overhaul was needed at ILB and DB. Reckon one is coming.

When it comes to being dysfunctional....no other team can do it better than the Skins.   Setting the tough management tone with one game left to go in a bad season is not the way to get the job done.   This organization really has to hit rock bottom soon.  Fans are getting tired of the nonsense year after year after year.  If I was a free agent this year, I would tell my agent please do everything you can to make sure I do not end up on the deadskins roster.

Swearinger was critical of Washington coaching staff following Saturday’s 25-16 loss to the Tennessee Titans, questioning the team’s game plan and saying he watches more film than the coaches.

“I voice my frustration every single time I come off the field,” Swearinger said Saturday. “I’m a very smart football player. I probably watch more film than the coaches. That’s 100. That’s probably documented. I try to give my insight, but it doesn’t work. So I can only put my heart in this s---, dog ... and give them what I can give them. Whether they take it or not, that’s another thing. That’s where the frustration comes in at, when we don’t win.”

“I’m not giving no excuses on my play, I missed a few tackles, but I feel with a lot of these playmakers we have on this team, you should try to get your players involved. We got a lot of talent on this team. When I look at film on other teams, I always see nickel (defensive backs) blitzing, always see safeties blitzing.”

Washington coach Jay Gruden said Sunday he was considering disciplining the Pro Bowl defensive back.

“I’m quite disappointed, to be honest with you,” Gruden said Sunday on a conference call with reporters. “I think we made it pretty clear we keep our business within these walls, and we’ve had talks before about that, and unfortunately he chose to go to the media again and talk about some of his displeasure with some of the calls.”

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article223518810.html

More at link...

46 minutes ago, carex said:

well, I just checked and see that we are hosting the Eagles Sunday.  Maybe the crowd should let the Skins know what they think

I imagine all the eagles fans will love it...

The difference between foster and Swearinger is likely thst FOSTER was willing to lie and walk his statements back, but Swearinger wasn’t.

Archived