Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Cut DJ Swearinger!

skinfan2k

Can the FO really be this stupid? Fans are already pissed off about the way the season has turned out and they go and release one of the better players on the team..Snyder would be a ****ing idiot if he brought back Allen and Manusky..Bringing back Jay i don't have a problem with,but those other two being brought back will just make it worse for fan attendance next year

5 hours ago, Unbias said:

What team does this on Christmas Eve?

Players were probably off yesterday, so today would have been the first chance for Jay to meet with him. 

Fourth team to get tired of this guy's schtick. It's a shame, because he's a decent player. But then again, he's no Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed. Needed to tone down the rhetoric until he has the legacy to back it up. I think he was trying to force the players to accept him as a leader, but he was doing it with words and not actions. I've read there's guys on the D who would roll their eyes when he'd start spouting off. 

I predicted this would happen about a day ago:

https://es.redskins.com/topic/426351-dj-swearinger-blasts-redskins-dc-manusky-after-loss/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-11419636

I thought Swearinger would quickly need to get out in front of this, if he really wanted to stay on the team.  He needed to reach out to Gruden, acknowledge how he'd messed up and ask if he could help things by retracting his statement.  I don't think that course of action ever crossed DJ's mind, because he probably felt he was within his rights to be speaking his mind to the media, even after being told several times not to do so.

I listened to DJ's  interview and can't believe he didn't know why he was being let go. Also, I found odd his comments about how his coaches might have been regarding him as "too smart" or "a weapon".  I don't think he understood the limits on how much advice he could offer as friendly input, before it became something like badgering, and more importantly how not having your advice taken was no justification to share your frustration with the media.  

During DJ's interview I felt he WAS implying that Allen couldn't understand the coverage issues of the LBs/DBs.  (SIP, you can correct me, but I also felt DJ was insinuating that Allen's support of Manusky's game-calling was motivated by the fact it allowed Allen to have a good game for himself.). There were a lot of things in his interview that reminded me of employees I knew who were simply "too smart" to fit in with the realities of the workplace, even for someone like DJ having to fit in on a team like the Skins that's being run with a "players coach" easy-going style.

Today, I think the Skins decided they are willing to pay a full price (even losing possible trade value for DJ) simply to set an example that public challenges to the coaching staff would not be tolerated.  Granted, It probably would have been easier to suspend DJ for one game without pay, and send him home until they could unload him for some value.  But perhaps there was something in his contract or the players bargaining agreement that could potentially prevent Skins from withholding pay simply on the grounds they didn't like what he had said to the media. 

Bottom line -- considering Swearinger's NFL work history, I suspect some coaches may be reluctant to ignore this latest red-flag, and that should drive down his next contract's price.  But more importantly,  after this latest episode DJ is probably one more release away (or one more non-renewal) from being considered unemployable despite his talent, out of concerns he's not able to fit in, and/or is potentially volatile to team chemistry. (The Jeff George effect.)

If that day comes, DJ can try coaching ... Perhaps he'll be good at that, but evenso, he'll still have to fit in with the program of whatever organization he works for.

6 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Stupid, stupid move.  He was one of our best defensive players.  I get that he was crossing the line calling out coaches, but if you really want him gone with only one game left in the season, make him inactive for the last game with a paid one game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team.  That will send your message.  It also allows the the team to retain his rights and trade him during the off-season. With the way he was playing and the affordable contract, we could've gotten a midround pick for him.  Just plain stupid.  

Stupid is not a good enough word to describe the Coaching and FO moves.  Swearinger was only speaking the truth and had the fire and drive to want to win.  This staff needs to go as this is the straw that broke the camel's back.....Can't even discipline him. Just cut him and get nothing for an 11th rated safety...another example of the inept decisions this FO makes.   Swearinger didn't like losing and wasn't going to accept it laying down.....unlike Gruden, Snyder and Allen.  What he was saying had merit but the coaches were too stupid to listen.  The attendance will keep dropping until it is occupied only by the visiting team's fans. Soon Snyder will have to sell this franchise after it is totally ruined by his decisions.   What a joke that Cleveland has a better record from being winless for almost 2 years....think things are being done right in DC?  Seriously think about that!   I agree with you KillBill26, except I am not allowed to express properly the words to describe this latest move.  

6 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Five bucks I got from Grandma for Christmas says he's with the eagles a day after Christmas..

KC needs him badly!

The more I think about this the more pissed I get, the redskins are not the Patriots and they never will be. Comparing the teams is just an insult to them, the redskins are not good enough to let players go who are among the best on the team for something like this. Swearinger WANTED to win and wanted to change the culture around here. Passionate player who was noticeably pissed after loses, he’s a leader and well liked my many on the team. Gruden is an idiot for this, he was playing at an all pro level at the start of the year. I’ll rep the Redskins till I die but damn do they make it hard. 

25 minutes ago, Roger.Staubach said:

Screw primadonna players like that.  Texans did the same with him.

So we keep a prima donna CB with a mouth and cut the Safety that ranks 11th in the NFL because of his mouth about poor coaching decisions...when what he said had merit in exposing them?  Keep the poor coaches and discard the talented players....another reason why Cleveland stands with a better record than us...

However, a former Redskin defended Swearinger, saying Washington’s practices “were a joke” and “too laid back.” He then added: “That’s the reason for so many injuries. … Nobody practices hard.”

Asked about the safety’s comments regarding Gruden’s “laidback” approach in practices, one current Redskins player acknowledged in a text message that “a lot of things could have been different, but it’s always going to be, players play and coaches coach. And when you challenge that enough then parties have to go their separate ways.”

Several current Redskins took to social media to publicly voice their confusion and frustration over Swearinger’s release.

“Some sh- – is impossible to understand,” talented left tackle Trent Williams wrote in a caption of a picture with him and Swearinger. “4eva Family.”

“Forever My Brother, Sh- – crazy,” cornerback Quinton Dunbar wrote beneath a picture of him and Swearinger. The caption included a broken heart emoji.

The stunning move also left the Redskins’ most devoted fans lost for words.

Retired NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt, Jr. — a fan of his beloved Redskins since 1982 — was clearly dumbfounded by Swearinger’s release.

“The optics on all this is crazy,” Earnhardt tweeted. “Claimed Reuben. Kept Mason. Released DJ….. on Christmas Eve??!?!?”

It didn’t matter that Washington still has one more game left on the schedule (against the division-rival Philadelphia Eagles, no less), nor did the Redskins give a second thought to the remaining year left on Swearinger’s three-year deal. Nor did it seem to bother Gruden that he has no suitable replacement for the now-exiled defensive back. To the Redskins, those details were mere footnotes to the egregiousness of Swearinger’s actions.

Publicly criticize the coaching staff and you will be shown the door.

So, on Monday, Gruden called Swearinger — his veteran leader and the pulse of his depleted secondary — into his office and explained that this was the best solution for all parties involved.

But Washington knew the type of person Swearinger is when it signed him. The Redskins loved his emotion. They fed off his fiery nature. They tabbed him to be the vocal leader in the back end for a reason.

The Redskins loved Swearinger’s aggression and his mouth — that is, until the safety continued to highlight internal issues: issues that have been questioned by players, behind closed doors, for as long as Gruden (35-43-1) has been the head coach in Ashburn.

By removing Swearinger from the premises, Washington has rid itself of a nuisance of sorts. A player unafraid to call things as he sees them.

That brutal honesty, however, has a price. Especially when it’s done in a public forum, and the targets often are those wearing the same uniform.

But Swearinger, forever a free spirit, remained unfazed in the face of his sudden unemployment.

“I’m peaceful about it,” the safety, who was voted a Pro Bowl alternate only days ago, said in his radio interview. “I don’t regret nothing because I know I gave 100 percent from my heart.”

And there are people within that locker room who believe Swearinger is 100 percent right in his assessments too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nearing-end-turmoil-filled-season-redskins-somehow-draw-line-d-j-swearingers-criticism-230224572.html

6 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

Say what you will but this was the right move. His performance can be replaced. Hopefully the next guy is a professional.

At least Swearinger said what had merit and desired to win.....but the move was totally wrong....waste of talent that we could have received something for instead of just cutting him....11th rated safety and watch him be get picked up ASAP.  Another Idiot move!!!

54 minutes ago, rterps2017 said:

So we keep Foster who says #uck the fans...…. And the team but cut DJ for ripping the play calling ….

Thats a good point.  But this front office can't handle real men like DJ.  That's why they never will employ former players like Brian Mitchell, Doc Walker, or even somebody like LaVar Arrington.  Our front office guy like the type of guys who kiss ass, not tell it like it is.  Even when you state the obvious, the "powers that be" don't like to be exposed.  The truth hurts.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

However, a former Redskin defended Swearinger, saying Washington’s practices “were a joke” and “too laid back.” He then added: “That’s the reason for so many injuries. … Nobody practices hard.”

Asked about the safety’s comments regarding Gruden’s “laidback” approach in practices, one current Redskins player acknowledged in a text message that “a lot of things could have been different, but it’s always going to be, players play and coaches coach. And when you challenge that enough then parties have to go their separate ways.”

Several current Redskins took to social media to publicly voice their confusion and frustration over Swearinger’s release.

“Some sh- – is impossible to understand,” talented left tackle Trent Williams wrote in a caption of a picture with him and Swearinger. “4eva Family.”

“Forever My Brother, Sh- – crazy,” cornerback Quinton Dunbar wrote beneath a picture of him and Swearinger. The caption included a broken heart emoji.

The stunning move also left the Redskins’ most devoted fans lost for words.

Retired NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt, Jr. — a fan of his beloved Redskins since 1982 — was clearly dumbfounded by Swearinger’s release.

“The optics on all this is crazy,” Earnhardt tweeted. “Claimed Reuben. Kept Mason. Released DJ….. on Christmas Eve??!?!?”

It didn’t matter that Washington still has one more game left on the schedule (against the division-rival Philadelphia Eagles, no less), nor did the Redskins give a second thought to the remaining year left on Swearinger’s three-year deal. Nor did it seem to bother Gruden that he has no suitable replacement for the now-exiled defensive back. To the Redskins, those details were mere footnotes to the egregiousness of Swearinger’s actions.

Publicly criticize the coaching staff and you will be shown the door.

So, on Monday, Gruden called Swearinger — his veteran leader and the pulse of his depleted secondary — into his office and explained that this was the best solution for all parties involved.

But Washington knew the type of person Swearinger is when it signed him. The Redskins loved his emotion. They fed off his fiery nature. They tabbed him to be the vocal leader in the back end for a reason.

The Redskins loved Swearinger’s aggression and his mouth — that is, until the safety continued to highlight internal issues: issues that have been questioned by players, behind closed doors, for as long as Gruden (35-43-1) has been the head coach in Ashburn.

By removing Swearinger from the premises, Washington has rid itself of a nuisance of sorts. A player unafraid to call things as he sees them.

That brutal honesty, however, has a price. Especially when it’s done in a public forum, and the targets often are those wearing the same uniform.

But Swearinger, forever a free spirit, remained unfazed in the face of his sudden unemployment.

“I’m peaceful about it,” the safety, who was voted a Pro Bowl alternate only days ago, said in his radio interview. “I don’t regret nothing because I know I gave 100 percent from my heart.”

And there are people within that locker room who believe Swearinger is 100 percent right in his assessments too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nearing-end-turmoil-filled-season-redskins-somehow-draw-line-d-j-swearingers-criticism-230224572.html

Wish I could triple love this post......shows how it will hurt the Redskins from a player morale view.  I like many, loved his fire and desire to win.  FIRE Gruden and Allen for destroying this team.....,..you just lost Trent and others trust.

Now the players and even Trent Williams are at a loss.  This move was past stupid and will be the biggest mistake this year.  It will cause more damage from a player morale issue than anything that occurred this year.  The Redskins players will only be focused on the business side next year and this team is headed for worse days to come.   Cleveland has a better record and made more right moves this last year than Allen and Gruden have accomplished over the last 5.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Disagree about Kirk in the mix but agree with the point here.  I suspect it was more of a Bruce move than Jay but who knows.

I'd keep Kirk in there. The Redskins got rid of or didn't re-sign two vocal play makers in Garcon and DJax. Two ****ing 1000 yard receiver, bro!!! Let that ****ing sink in a bit.

...........................................................................not ****ing deep enough........................................................ok 1000 yard play making WR, gone.  Now that I think of it, the whole ****ing Gruden family has let go of play makers. Call themselves making a ****ing statement. And what do they have to show by way of record? Both these mother****ers are losers!!!!

Jay left Kirk with Glass Joes and 50/50s and John just left. Who know where the **** he's going. Kirk said point blank there was no amount of money the Redskins could offer. What do you think that means? This organization is ****ed up from the floor up. I tried to give Allen and Dan the benefit. I'm not saying they are bad people. I'm saying they run a ****ed up shift.

**** this team!!!!

Swearinger was a malcontent and a distraction.  I don't fault the Skins for dumping him but rather not getting in front of the issue earlier to shut him down.  Of course, it was the THIRD time he was called into Gruden's office.  So maybe they did try and it was time for him to go.    

Bottom line, I enjoy talking **** on extremeskins. But watching any more bull**** on saturday, sunday or any ****in day is over!! When this team shows a winning culture, I may watch. Otherwise, watching games called by a bunch of stupid, stubborn, sensitive, archaic ass, good ole boy losin coaches is a goddamn no go!!

**** this team!!!

Archived