Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

48 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

It is not a 71mil guarantee yet. But it's a pointless conversation right now. I'll happily disagree and let things unfold.

Its guaranteed for injury right now. Every cent of it.

$55M was guaranteed at signing, which includes his 2019 salary. We could cut him after 2019 (assuming he can pass a physical) but that would cost us $20m in dead cap space against a cap charge of just over $21M if we keep him. So a wash.

Essentially there is no way out of the next two years of his deal unless he chooses to retire.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Its guaranteed for injury right now. Every cent of it.

$55M was guaranteed at signing, which includes his 2019 salary. We could cut him after 2019 (assuming he can pass a physical) but that would cost us $20m in dead cap space against a cap charge of just over $21M if we keep him. So a wash.

Essentially there is no way out of the next two years of his deal unless he chooses to retire.

But that 16 mil for 2020 becomes guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2019 league year, so we can't cut him after 2019 at that price. It would be a 32.4 mil dead cap hit at that point.

31 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

But that 16 mil for 2020 becomes guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2019 league year, so we can't cut him after 2019 at that price. It would be a 32.4 mil dead cap hit at that point.

Sorry - I misunderstood when the cap hits would fall.

Here is what Sportac shows

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

Bottom line though we are on the hook for 2019 and 2020.

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Yes we are. The only way out is probably if he comes back and plays some and shows something next year and then maybe someone is willing to take him for 2020 in a deal where we eat some of the salary or give a draft pick to unload him, or a combination of the two.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Smith has just lifted 40mil, I think ultimately he will want to retire and avoid paying back his prorated signing bonus element. I predict a settlement. 

No way he wants to rot away here. Even our SS has thrown him under the bus today.

No way he walks away from rehab on our dime, while getting millions to do it. He'll get every red cent. And, he should. It's in the contract.  There will be no "settlement" here.

6 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Yep exactly we will be in QB hell for the next 3 years probably longer. Alex Smith isn't going anywhere. So our only option is to put KC like talent around him and hire Andy Reid. 

Not so fast...Colt may surprise you. It's not unprecedented that a career journeyman steps up and plays well. Rich Gannon, Fitzmagic and others have blossomed late in their careers. Why not Colt? He knows the offense and may be better than Alex has been this year.

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

Can you say Fitzmagic????

15 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Where is our Patrick Mahomes? That’s what I want. Is that too much too ask after all these years of broken bones, wrecked knees, incompetence and mediocrity? Isn’t it our turn for a franchise quarterback?

We had him and Baltimore/Mike Shannahan broke him.

Bridgewater is on a one year deal. I believe he is a FA in 19..After the season while he is still under contract, I would potentially trade for him if the price is right. He's 25 with ability. Or you wait and try and sign him in FA but this takes control out of your hands. Other than that, I'm not sure, heard the Qb options in the draft are underwhelming..

Well we completed step 1 of the Redskin QB plan by trading too much for the veteran over-the-hill QB already. Now we're in step 2 of the Redskin QB plan, which means to stink it up entirely using a back up QB. Step 3 is to draft our next bust QB and ride the lightning with that for a couple years. Then we start over

7 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Well we completed step 1 of the Redskin QB plan by trading too much for the veteran over-the-hill QB already. Now we're in step 2 of the Redskin QB plan, which means to stink it up entirely using a back up QB. Step 3 is to draft our next bust QB and ride the lightning with that for a couple years. Then we start over

You forgot trading up using future 1st rounders to draft our next bust QB. 

Otherwise, looks about spot on.

6 hours ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

I’d give a second round for that kid Mullens from San Fran on draft day 

No. Let's not continue doing stupid things. 

We need all of our draft picks. 

We roll with Colt and take a developmental guy in mid rounds. 

Use the draft to build our OL, improve our D (ILB/Edge), and replace our TE.

22 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think a lot of people are hoping we move on from him based on his performance, the broken leg is just an excuse....

This may sound crazy but Smith's injury may end up being a blessing in disguise, especially if he will be ready to play on opening day next year.  These remaining six games will give him an opportunity to observe how Gruden's offense should be run with McCoy at QB who looked like a seasoned veteran.

This will be the opportune time for Smith to take a pen and pad out and take copious notes.  He has to get pass his hesitancy to get the ball out quickly so the receiver can make some yards after the catch, which would also keep the receiver from getting killed.  Smith should also benefit from a better running game if Guice comes back healthy and is the bell cow we all hope that he is.

IMO, this is no time to panic or get down.  In fact, after Sunday's performance, I have a better feeling about the Redskins chances with McCoy behind center right now.  Even without the turnovers, Smith was straight garbage.  McCoy brings a higher level of excitement and anticipation.  Not to mention, he's beaten the Cowboys before.

9 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Bridgewater is on a one year deal. I believe he is a FA in 19..After the season while he is still under contract, I would potentially trade for him if the price is right. He's 25 with ability. Or you wait and try and sign him in FA but this takes control out of your hands. Other than that, I'm not sure, heard the Qb options in the draft are underwhelming..

You know what?  NO.  Don't want to take any more chances, the best thing to do is draft.  For me Colt is more than capable of running this team and who knows running it very well.  Then we draft someone that can sit and learn.  We can do that, Cousins did that and i think Gruden did a good job with him.  We pick a raw, high character, high IQ guy with a decent arm and he learns.

Just now, TheGreek1973 said:

Can you post the tweet?  

Alex Smith suffered a compound fracture - meaning the bone broke through his skin, per source. Trauma surgeons discovered Smith suffered a spiral fracture in his leg - defined as a long bone broken by a rotational force. Smith, 34, faces a lengthy rehab process to try to return.

Archived