Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I feel absolutely HORRIBLE for Alex Smith.  I'm a huge detractor of his, but I never wanted to see him go out this way.  That being said, I'm glad Colt is the next man up.  He has familiarity with Jay's offense, and I don't think the bar is too high for him to surpass Smith with production for the rest of the year.  If he can remain consistent, then the job should be Colt's to start '19.  However, using either the first or second round pick we have to take a QB is a must.  Groom that QB behind Colt for a year and then give him the keys to the car in '20. 

Drafting QB to me was always #1 because i wanted him to sit in 2019 and be the starter in 2020 similar to what KC did with mahomes

5 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

I feel absolutely HORRIBLE for Alex Smith.  I'm a huge detractor of his, but I never wanted to see him go out this way.  That being said, I'm glad Colt is the next man up.  He has familiarity with Jay's offense, and I don't think the bar is too high for him to surpass Smith with production for the rest of the year.  If he can remain consistent, then the job should be Colt's to start '19.  However, using either the first or second round pick we have to take a QB is a must.  Groom that QB behind Colt for a year and then give him the keys to the car in '20. 

I agree with the first part, but not the second. I fully expect them to do what they should have done this year and pick up a Stephen Morris (Heyer?) type QB to groom and a Kyle Lauletta type QB to compete with him. This is Colt's job as it should have been last year, and if Colt can take us to 10 wins then he'll definitely be the man going into next year. 

Only problem is that Colt's injury history isn't unblemished either. 

Here's the thing about drafting someone:  especially if we get someone in the first round, you got to believe they will be a better prospect then McCoy.  I would not just say he needs to sit behind McCoy, he should have same right to the starting job.  The absolute last thing I want to do is walk into next offseason with McCoy being promised the starting job, that is a bad idea, imo.

1 hour ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I would almost agree with this if not for one fact.  I have never seen the beat writers and draftniks more united than they are this year on the fact that the 2019 draft will be the all time worst draft in living history for Quarterbacks.  I don't see anyone out there personally and so my preference would be to roll with Alex/Colt another veteran and keep building the rest of the team and look to the draft for a QB in 2020 when some legitimate NFL talent is expected to be there.  If Alex is done and we don't see enough from Colt then I would be fine with a Fitzpatrick or similar on a 12 month deal, maybe out scouts can find a bargain in the later rounds but I am not holding my breath on that one.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

Fitzpatrck is about the only name on that list and he might not be let go from the Bucs

55 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

FA

59 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

Anybody know what Teddy Brigewaters deal is next year ?

Doesn't the contract have to officially be voided first?  From what I've read (because I wanted to do that, too), is they traded for Bridgewater with intention of him being Brees heir.  I don't see them just letting him walk, especially if Brees wins a ring this year and retires.

Does anyone really want to get into a bidding war over a young unproven QB in a QB depleted offseason like we're about to walk into?  That idea freaks me out right now.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Bidding war... hmm... worth it if Alex is still on the roster?

I'm not particularly interested in him myself. 

And we're not getting into many bidding wars with our cap situation, especially at QB. If we cut Smith before next season, that's a net cap hit of over 16 mil. If we keep him, we guarantee his 2020 salary of 16 mil. We're not going to go out and outbid someone for another QB.

6 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not particularly interested in him myself. 

And we're not getting into many bidding wars with our cap situation, especially at QB. If we cut Smith before next season, that's a net cap hit of over 16 mil. If we keep him, we guarantee his 2020 salary of 16 mil. We're not going to go out and outbid someone for another QB.

Ya, even if Alex retires, I still would be on the fence.  Desperate is always dangerous.

The team has been in need for a young QB for a while now. But I don't seem much radically changing in 2019. The draft is always a crap shoot, but as has been stated in this thread, the 2019 is really bad for QBs. Which makes it an extra crap shoot. You can't realistically expect to net anything more than a late round lottery ticket. Which pretty much means another year of Smith/McCoy. Both are signed for 2019 and know the system. It's not like good QBs are going to available via trade or free agency. The best you can hope for is someone like Teddy Bridgewater. Who might be okay. He at least theoretically has some upside. But I don't know why he'd sign here. And I doubt the team would pay him what he'd want anyway.

I'm more curious who the team brings in now. As they need a live body for game day behind McCOy. Sam Bradford could be an option, but it sounds like he's too injured. I would guess it would be a veteran, simply someone who could fill in should McCoy go down and have some basic competence. Just not sure who that is.

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

There is absolutely, positively no way he retires, unless we cut him first.

Maybe we should make him an offer he can't refuse, then.

No for real, I'd like to know what clauses there are based on games played.  From what I'm reading online, like 3-6 months so he should be back in time for training camp, in theory (at 35, I expect the long end of that).

We had Sudfeld in the wings but the Eagles came in and nabbed him.  Maybe the Eagles suffer some injuries and place Sudfeld on the practice squad as we get him back.  But no chance we spend money on a guy like Tyrod or Bridgewater when we have Smith on the payroll.  

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

Drafting QB to me was always #1 because i wanted him to sit in 2019 and be the starter in 2020 similar to what KC did with mahomes

This what I’ve been hoping for myself. Looking around the league and it just seems to me that the old way of letting a qb learn by watching or being put in low stress scenarios their rookie year is best. Cousins, mahomes, Rodgers, and Brady all sat at least their first year.

I don’t think we should necessarily spend a 1st or even second rounder on him either, unless they are definitely the bpa. I’ve watched highlights of rypien at Boise state, and really like him completely aside from the family tie to the skins. He’s projected as a 3rd or 4th rounder last I checked but that could obviously change based on bowl play and what he looks like at the combine.

Im good with either colt, Alex, or some random fa starting next year as I’m of the mind we need to take our medicine regarding the situation we put ourselves with qb and would rather spend our 1st two picks on o or d linemen.

I only know what we shouldn't do and that is pay any substantial money or give draft picks away for a qb. 

I expect we have a lot tied up with smith; we can't spend extra resources at the qb position. Work on upgrading the rest of the team. 

Mccoy starts for the rest of the year and maybe next year as well. Draft a qb this year or next and get him ready. 

We're in for a lot of pain in the next couple years, though McCoy make make it interesting before he gets hurt. 

Embrace the unluckiness/ineptitude that is the redskins. 

17 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Kyle Lauletta

I was campaigning 4 weeks ago to trade for him. At the time I felt the Giants would let him go for a 4th rd pick. Now, we might be a bit behind the 8 ball in negotiations. I think he has the talent and brains to be groomed into a good one. 

Do we have to post bail first?

24 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Kyle Lauletta

I was campaigning 4 weeks ago to trade for him. At the time I felt the Giants would let him go for a 4th rd pick. Now, we might be a bit behind the 8 ball in negotiations. I think he has the talent and brains to be groomed into a good one. 

I was in love with him before the draft too but thought he'd go lower. Now, i don't know what to think. He's under contract so not an option this year. NY will probably draft a QB so will they cut him like they did Webb? Or will he be insurance for their high QB draft pick? 

26 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Kyle Lauletta

Not really sure why the Giants would trade Lauletta. In the division no less. They have their own QB problems. So if they dump Lauletta, it's likely for good reason. Unless the Redskins want to just overpay

Archived