Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

Yall ain't gonna like this but pick up Colin for vet min. Keep McCoy and draft atleast one guy. Preferably in the middle rounds or if it's high someone we dont have to give up alot to go get. 

Let them battle it out with zero preference for one over the other while we build the rest of the team. 

Let the OKest man win while we fix the rest of the org. From management on down to back up back up back up QB. 

Its definitely time to draft someone but we need to get value. As long as we dont reach with say drafting a 2nd or 3rd round prospect in the first then that's the route I'd like to see them going. Derek Carr and Jon Gruden are literally at each other's throats and I think someone is going to pick him up cheap ( Late draft pick?), But could we even afford that massive contract though ?

From the looks of it yesterday Alex Smith's Career might be over, That was a gruesome leg injury, At his age would a comeback even be worth it ? 

Be surprised if Alex's career is over.  You can heal on the team's dime for millions, I think he'd be crazy not to do so.  So I think for Alex worse case he's not ready for the start of next season.

I think where it becomes interesting is this.  If Colt really does well, what happens next.  I pride myself on knowing the gossip from beat guys about the prior Qbs contract negotiation, and one thing kept popping up, Jay really believes in Colt and thinks they can win just as much with him at the helm.  Clearly someone in the FO disagreed with Jay.  Finlay alluded to this on a show last night.  But what if Colt does well, Jay has an I told you so moment.  And the kicker is this Colt could opt out of his contract at the end of the year so that would box in the team to make a decision.

But from what I understand regardless, the team would still have to take a cap hit for Alex while trying to keep Colt.  If Colt does well, it might present a contract quandary where you are paying 2 guys big money on the roster.  Or, they let Colt go to another team who was impressed with his performance.  Or lets say Colt does poorly and Alex can't start the season.  What do you do then?

'

23 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Its definitely time to draft someone but we need to get value. As long as we dont reach with say drafting a 2nd or 3rd round prospect in the first then that's the route I'd like to see them going. Derek Carr and Jon Gruden are literally at each other's throats and I think someone is going to pick him up cheap ( Late draft pick?), But could we even afford that massive contract though ?

From the looks of it yesterday Alex Smith's Career might be over, That was a gruesome leg injury, At his age would a comeback even be worth it ? 

Hi. If Smith cannot play and his career is over because of the injury, can someone please explain to us how his salary will affect our cap the next few years? I am under the impression that if a player is unable to preform or if he retires then his cap number does not count. Does anyone think a 35 yr old QB will be able to come back 100% from a break that bad? I see Joe T and his one leg is smaller than his other leg. If it was me I would pack it in and take the money and sail off into the sunset

37 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Ian Rapoport said this morning it is NOT a career-ending injury and surgery is imminent so he'll have plenty of time to recover

I think it depends on the severity of the break of the tibia and fibula,  As i talked about in the Alex thread, my son had the exact same injury, tibia though much worse of a break than what he had in the fibula.  We are hoping to get clearance for him to being able to run next week.  That's about 8 months removed from the injury, with the doctor telling me at the time of the injury he's lucky to get it at the age he's at because its a longer recovery if you are an adult, the older you are, etc. 

The irony for me when I talked in the Alex thread about the perils of having a veteran QB included when they get hurt they don't heal typically as fast as younger players -- and I was specifically thinking about the conversation with my son's doctor over ironically the exact same injury that Alex has now.

57 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

His base salary for the next two years is guaranteed for injury unless he retires. Thats $31M he is due. 

So yes, its 100% worth it to him to continue his career ...even if he never sees the field again.

Absent him retiring we are on the hook for his salary and cap number the next two years come what may. After the 2020 season there is no more guaranteed money and we can part ways with a reasonable (ish) cap charge of about $13M for the last two years of his pro-rated signing bonus

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I think it depends on the severity of the break of the tibia and fibula,  As i talked about in the Alex thread, my son had the exact same injury, tibia though much worse of a break than what he had in the fibula.  We are hoping to get clearance for him to being able to run next week.  That's about 8 months removed from the injury, with the doctor telling me at the time of the injury he's lucky to get it at the age he's at because its a longer recovery if you are an adult, the older you are, etc. 

The irony for me when I talked in the Alex thread about the perils of having a veteran QB included when they get hurt they don't heal typically as fast as younger players -- and I was specifically thinking about the conversation with my son's doctor over ironically the exact same injury that Alex has now.

I had the exact same injury as TO years ago. It happened 2 months before his did. I was on the couch playing balloon lagoon with my niece when he was playing in the superbowl. These Nfl players aren't human.

45 minutes ago, MartinC said:

His base salary for the next two years is guaranteed for injury unless he retires. Thats $31M he is due. 

So yes, its 100% worth it to him to continue his career ...even if he never sees the field again.

Absent him retiring we are on the hook for his salary and cap number the next two years come what may. After the 2020 season there is no more guaranteed money and we can part ways with a reasonable (ish) cap charge of about $13M for the last two years of his pro-rated signing bonus

I was surprised about his contract details when the "when can we get out of his contract" thread was started. I thought for sure he was basically a 2 yr contractr and we could get out with high but reasonable dead money. WTF was bruce thinking giving him 3 years .. Alex at best had 2 years left in him. Bruce really screwed the pooch on this one.

2019 starting QB - Colt if he is serviceable ... if not I imagine a place holder while we draft a QB high.

Without a legit top 15 Qb or a young high ceiling QB ..... youre just treading water in this league and the fan base isnt excited or buying in.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

Yall ain't gonna like this but pick up Colin for vet min. Keep McCoy and draft atleast one guy. Preferably in the middle rounds or if it's high someone we dont have to give up alot to go get. 

Let them battle it out with zero preference for one over the other while we build the rest of the team. 

Let the OKest man win while we fix the rest of the org. From management on down to back up back up back up QB. 

Sounds good but Colin isn't signing anywhere for vet minimum and frankly isn't signing for us for anything until we change the name.  Alex will be ready by training camp and I imagine is our starter next year barring a sensational run from Colt in these next few games.  We cannot trade for or sign a legitimate starter with Alex's contract on the books and with new deals for a bunch of our stars pending and there is no easy answer to be found in the next draft.

All decisions taken this season were predicated on Alex being the guy for 3 years at least and we genuinely do not have much choice other than to stay the course for at least one more year as we left ourselves no room to maneuver.  The 2020 draft is when we will be looking for our QB of the future and that dovetails with the end of Jay's contract.  With a 6-3 start and then the injury bug biting so hard again I cannot see Dan and Bruce making any big changes this offseason.  We will ride it out through next year just tweaking the roster and hoping Guice comes back strong, Alex gets better in the system etc. and then if we do take a big step forward Jay will get a new deal and keep rolling whereas if we suck we can bring in a new coach, rip off the band aid and purge the roster.

17 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I would almost agree with this if not for one fact.  I have never seen the beat writers and draftniks more united than they are this year on the fact that the 2019 draft will be the all time worst draft in living history for Quarterbacks.  I don't see anyone out there personally and so my preference would be to roll with Alex/Colt another veteran and keep building the rest of the team and look to the draft for a QB in 2020 when some legitimate NFL talent is expected to be there.  If Alex is done and we don't see enough from Colt then I would be fine with a Fitzpatrick or similar on a 12 month deal, maybe out scouts can find a bargain in the later rounds but I am not holding my breath on that one.

didn't those guys miss on Brady? Heck even on Cousins, sooo...

Not reading the 5 pages of responses to this thread, I will answer by saying the following.

They are comparing Alex's horrific injury to Joey T's that occur 33 years ago. Did Joe get back on the field, no. Will Alex, too early to tell. Joe tried to get back on but no one were willing to take the risk and sign him(Not even the USFL). Will Alex leave the same way, once again too early.

So where does that leave us?

Screwed? Maybe, but too early to tell.

Draft a qb in the draft and when? Which underclassman will declare? What will the combine tell us? Too early to tell.

Sign or trade for a veteran qb. Who will be available and at what price? Too early to tell.

You have 3 guesses to pick my response to the survey and the first 2 don't count.

HTTR!!!!!!

46 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

Isn't "too early to answer" and "I don't know yet" pretty much the same response?  I answered "I don't know yet" because, frankly, it's too early to answer. 😃

I don't know yet if it's too early to be sure. :drooley:

But yeah, I had the same answer.

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Ian Rapoport said this morning it is NOT a career-ending injury and surgery is imminent so he'll have plenty of time to recover

Yea. I'm thinking it's 90 percent that Alex is the starter on opening day.

As for drafting a QB, I think that's fine. But it's going to be after the first round, and that dude is probably going to sit for at least two years.

18 minutes ago, Suffolk_Skins said:

God we have one of biggest games in recent years in 72 hours.

Is it really?

That's actually kind of depressing, isn't it?

Yeah we should pump the brakes on the "career ending" stuff until we get further info.  Honestly, if it is just the broken bones that is the best possible news, as bones heal and are just as strong as before and it doesn't require the same kind of rehab as torn ligaments.   If this is just a matter of wearing a cast until the bones heal and meld back together and no weird setbacks happen? Smith will be the opening day starter in 2019.

With that said, let's say for some reason the injury is worse and/or maybe at 33...Smith decides this injury is enough for him to want to hang it up.....

What is the deal with Bridgewater?  Is he still considered a viable starting QB?  He was having the best year of his career before his injury.  Are the Saints headstrong in wanting to keep him around in case Brees decides to retire after a possible Super Bowl curtain call?  

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Pretty much getting to the three year opt-out window for us even if he's injured for a lot of it.

@Skinsinparadise is right, we could be a different level of screwed if Colt does well and we can't afford to bring him back because we can't get out the Alex contract even if Alex can't start the season.  We may have no choice but to trade up for a QB (that's what I would do in that scenario), I wouldn't walk into next season hoping someone like Mark Sanchez doesn't ruin our season before Alex comes and we have to pray he's better then he's played so far here.

I am not surprised "too early" and "we're screwed" are leading like that, exactly what it feels like so far initial reaction. 

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Pretty much getting to the three year opt-out window for us even if he's injured for a lot of it.

@Skinsinparadise is right, we could be a different level of screwed if Colt does well and we can't afford to bring him back because we can't get out the Alex contract even if Alex can't start the season.  We may have no choice but to trade up for a QB (that's what I would do in that scenario), I wouldn't walk into next season hoping someone like Mark Sanchez doesn't ruin our season before Alex comes and we have to pray he's better then he's played so far here.

I am not surprised "too early" and "we're screwed" are leading like that, exactly what it feels like so far initial reaction. 

Colt is under contract next year here. There are some playing time clauses that void the extra year but in last contract that was 65% of offensive snaps. Assuming its the same clause in this contract (and it might not be) then it's likely Colt is already under contract for 2019.

Archived