Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread- Redskins at New Yark Fooseball giants

TK

Statistics say Kirk is better but our team right now needs a conservative game manager like Alex. Yes Alex sucks but we don’t need a guy that fumbles, throws INTs or can’t convert that 3rd down near the end of the game. I feel Alex at least doesn’t hurt you in that sense.

My guess is that the Redskins draft a QB this offseason, but that means we have to rely on Smith this season and probably next.

I have to hope he gets better than this. Some of the problem is substandard WRs, but too many of his throws are simply off. That's a bad sign of a QB that's close to done.

1 hour ago, TK said:

How ya like me now? :ols:

Well you know the board isn't satisfied with anything. My guess is they'll complain that you didn't use enough characters, used too many characters, or not enough smileys and emocion art. So A for the win but otherwise a C-, it's hard coming into a thread that makes games this close. Good try though. 

I spent the day bouncing back and forth between watching the game and working on my teardrop trailer.

One thing did stick with me though, one of the announcers made a comment about Gruden begging Smith to throw more deep passes.

I saw 2; the first one ended up being a DPI on the Giants which gave us a nice chunk of yardage and a 1st down.

The other though, I have no idea where he was going with the ball; he either way under-threw or way overthrew the receiver and it was nearly picked off.

This is a two-fold problem;

1. I don't think Smith trusts or has faith in the WRs.

2. I don't think Smith has confidence in his long passes. In a way it looks as if he's afraid of either messing up a drive or possibly afraid of putting negative marks on his game. This wreaks of game manager; don't lose the game.

The few times he DID throw deep, the defense backed up, but then he reverted back to dink-n-dunk and the defense tightened up again.

This team will not go anywhere with this type of QB play. Win the division, big deal; when you get bounced in the first game what does it matter? The object is to win the Superbowl, not to just be good enough to make the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

2. I don't think Smith has confidence in his long passes. 

I still think it's a chemistry issue. He doesn't know where they'll cut, or how deep they'll run inns, or when they'll turn for the ball, or how hard they'll fight against the pick. We saw two deep balls to Doctson last week that were off target. I wonder what Smith was seeing on that deep ball today to Rich that was almost picked. 

Manusky says it's all about communication and I belive him. On offense too. 

53 minutes ago, Llevron said:

We don’t. But he might get hot. And even if he doesn’t we can still win with D and Running game.  

As long as we take early leads.  You can win with defense and a running game if you don't dig early holes.  We never trailed in any of our wins.

The next step is for us to show an ability to come back from deficits.  I'm not sure if we're there yet.  But if we get to that level, then we have as good a chance to make a run as anyone else.

3 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Peterson's 64 yard TD run.

Awesome. :815:

You shoulda been there :) 

Interesting trivia nugget on the on the end zone corner. Two years ago Cravens picked off Eli for the win & ran it to that same spot & celebrated with almost the exact same pose. 

55963F7C-7954-4116-A362-D88C0A349843.png

8BFB3645-DF9C-4EF8-BD80-0F1834A4C74E.png

DD4D1056-5E8B-4F95-9699-57FDC64CA69D.png

0AF9B504-4D02-4CF1-BA38-86D23B97253C.png

47 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have a feeling Colt could play as well as Alex is now.  However, if Alex "Gets it" he would be better.  I don't know if he'll get it, or Jay is going to put him in a position to "get it."

Alex is too smart of a QB to not get it. To me it's more about "WHEN" than "IF".

39 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1.  They have McVay and Filippo teaching them, and Alex has Jay.  My feelings are well known on the subject.  McVay is a better coach than Jay, and he's primarily responsible for Kirk's progression.  Jay developed Dalton and.... that's it.

Not wanting to take anything from McVay who's seem to be a great HC so far and contributed a lot to Cousins, but you're probably downplaying Jay's here as well. You have to take both into account, and cannot simply dismiss Jay and put everything on McVay's shoulders. McVay had his own faults around here.

45 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I spent the day bouncing back and forth between watching the game and working on my teardrop trailer.

One thing did stick with me though, one of the announcers made a comment about Gruden begging Smith to throw more deep passes.

I saw 2; the first one ended up being a DPI on the Giants which gave us a nice chunk of yardage and a 1st down.

The other though, I have no idea where he was going with the ball; he either way under-threw or way overthrew the receiver and it was nearly picked off.

2. I don't think Smith has confidence in his long passes. In a way it looks as if he's afraid of either messing up a drive or possibly afraid of putting negative marks on his game. This wreaks of game manager; don't lose the game.

The few times he DID throw deep, the defense backed up, but then he reverted back to dink-n-dunk and the defense tightened up again.

This team will not go anywhere with this type of QB play. Win the division, big deal; when you get bounced in the first game what does it matter? The object is to win the Superbowl, not to just be good enough to make the playoffs.

****ing buzzkill ?

29 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

As long as we take early leads.  You can win with defense and a running game if you don't dig early holes.  We never trailed in any of our wins.

The next step is for us to show an ability to come back from deficits.  I'm not sure if we're there yet.  But if we get to that level, then we have as good a chance to make a run as anyone else.

Mmmm. I'm not sure we can come back from more than 2 scores with this offense. We just cant throw it town field. At all. Though a loaded box makes that easier, I dont think out play calling or QB are good enough at the moment to come back against a team with any kind of offensive identity. 

28 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Not wanting to take anything from McVay who's seem to be a great HC so far and contributed a lot to Cousins, but you're probably downplaying Jay's here as well. You have to take both into account, and cannot simply dismiss Jay and put everything on McVay's shoulders. McVay had his own faults around here.

And he was like 14 and learned from them.

Jay had a part in some things, but Kirk credited McVay and he's got Goff going.  When McVay left, things got worse, partly because he left, and partly because DJax and Garcon left, I'll grant you.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Kirk and Alex have the exact same INT percentage this year.  I think Kirk has a couple more fumbles.

I think Kirk on this team, we'd probably have a much better looking offense, and 1 more win.  I don't think we were beating the Saints on Drew Brees night no matter what, but that Colts game really sticks in my craw.  That was a BAD BAD loss. 

That is what my son was eluding to. Flashy offence with ball constantly being thrown deep. To him he will take a W regardless of how heart wrenching the game might be...lol

We shall see tonight if Kirk can beat Brees. Colt game we should have won, no doubt. 

I’m torn on the subject of Alex needing time to get comfortable.  On one hand, look at Cousins and Fitzpatrick slinging the rock around.  There are other examples too of course.  On the other hand, I don’t think Smith is a slow learner or anything.  Which kind of leads me to believe it’s one of two things (or both)... a coach/qb problem, or a receiving talent/chemistry problem.  

Considering Gruden’s stance on volume of plays, and the difference from our receivers compared with Minny and Tampa, I’m leaning toward ‘both’.  Good receivers will get more separation than ours and will catch the not-so-great passes more frequently.  In terms of coaching, I think it’s common sense you’re more likely to find success if you rep 50 plays 20 times vs 200 plays 5 times.  

Don't get me wrong, Smith has his share of problems.  I just think his accuracy is more off than usual and that’s skewing things.  An extra deep ball completion here or there, more YAC (hitting guys in stride more often), a couple/few more intermediate completions each game... I think we’d see his passing yardage closer to what we were expecting.  A lot less complaining too (from myself as well).  

Until that happens though, I think the complaints/concerns are valid.  You’d have to weight turnovers (and/or wins) pretty darn highly to even consider his play as average.  I thought of Alex as a top 15 qb with the potential for top 10 (2017).  Right now, he’s probably barely top 25.  

There is some hope though. We’re winning, first of all.  We also have a big enough sample size to know he can play better.  Additionally, as the season goes on, he’ll get to a point where he’ll have repped those 200 plays 50 times (my made up numbers notwithstanding) and thus maybe show better.  And lastly, he’s gone without key targets, and guys have shuffled in and out of the lineup.  No guarantee that gets better, but he’ll at least have worked with more of the backups in case of further injuries.  

It’s not all roses here - he’s driven me nuts much of the time, and I don’t see any of our receivers suddenly becoming ‘game changers’ - but there is hope IMO.  

Sort of tangent here - I wonder if Smith had trouble going against our dline in practices and if that has lead to less trust in our oline.  Thought he looked a bit better on that front today.  I think...

6 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Alex doesn't trust his WRs but none of our WRs can get separation. 

I think the "trust" thing is a excuse. We've seen enough play to know that Smith is just not accurate on many throws.

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Peterson's 64 yard TD run.

Awesome. :815:

I was at the game and that run was the nail in the coffin. Stadium emptied out after that! HTTR

3 hours ago, zskins said:

I said the same to my son and he shut me up right away. He said if Kirk was here he would have turned the ball over more and put the opposing offenses on the field more and tiring out the D, even though they are really good this year, but still. He doesn't care how Alex is playing as long as we are winning. He has a valid point I guess... lol

Kirk and Smith has the same INT % this season. Cousins has been pressured move than Smith. Not really a valid point.

3 hours ago, Dirt said:

Would have probably wound up with a few turnovers which could have been a couple losses.

Not a knock on kirk, just saying this super careful qb-ing we have happens to be the perfect thing for this years' team.  

Couple bad throws from Alex today though.  Be as careful as you want, but for cryin out loud, hit reed in the hands when hes 10 yards away man.

Doubtful. Kirk, under more pressure has been on fire. We are 6-1 and looking very good if Kirk is here.

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

I think we do.

Smith was great last season, and it wasn't simply Tyreek Hill.

There was this false belief that because Smith was a 13 (14?) year veteran, that he was just going to come in and just adjust easily and get everything right away.

It isn't that simple. It takes time to adjust to a new team, new OC, new receivers, and new terminology.

It hasn't helped that they've had so many injuries in the receiving core.

I think Smith and the passing offense will improve dramatically, but I don't know when.

It was mostly Tyreek Hill. Smith, if you go back and simply look at his career, is a game manager. As a 14 year old vet that is smart, he should be able to get a new system at least as fast as someone like Cousins. I don't think he's having issues with the system. He looks slower too. I'm not sure if he is going to be Brunell 2.0 and just fall apart before our eyes.

3 hours ago, Gibbit said:

Why exactly? If anyone needs to have time with an offense its the QB. Hes helped get us here....and hopefully time makes him better with our rag tag group

He's probably held us back some actually, but at least he's not throwing INT's that is literally about the only thing you can give him credit for.

3 hours ago, dyst said:

Statistics say Kirk is better but our team right now needs a conservative game manager like Alex. Yes Alex sucks but we don’t need a guy that fumbles, throws INTs or can’t convert that 3rd down near the end of the game. I feel Alex at least doesn’t hurt you in that sense.

I really hate it when people say dumb **** like this. "The defense is great, so it's better to have a Smith rather than Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers."

No. It's not. You have a guy one of those 2, You're a SB favorite.

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

I really like this formula for winning. A bruising rushing attack, a smart accurate passing game, and a stout ferocious defense.  Been a while since we've seen this.

Except he has not been accurate.

Archived