Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rich Tandler has died

JoggingGod

What a shame, I have really liked following him through the years as a fan from out of state and one who's not totally fond of using twitter.  His Need to Know columns were/are a go to for me.  May he RIP and I really hope those that he left behind will be okay.

Awful news. I remember checking out realredskins pretty much daily, when that was how you heard from him, and you really wanted to keep up with every tidbit of news. He was writing stuff constantly, even when there was hardly anything significant going on. He continued to do it after he finally got his gig at CSN. As drafts approached, he really put in a lot of time and effort. Draft day chats with whoever wanted to hang out on a browser chat for 3 days solid...Tandler was there. No Redskins news in the middle of March?...Tandler has something new on his site. It was a labor of love, and you could tell it. I'm pretty sure he really got to live out his dream there at CSN and NBCS, and he deserved that, big time. Tandler's a legend. RIP.

Terrible news.  Big fan of his writing and watching him on local Skins related shows. He was relatable and seemed like a really good dude.  From the outpouring of love, I’d say that was a fact. Condolences to his family.

30 minutes ago, c slag said:

Did Rich write for the magazine "Warpath" back in the 90s?

He will certainly be missed 

Wonder if the Redskins will have a ceremony for him on Sunday 

His family is in our thoughts 

From what I read, there will be a moment of silence and a plaque on his empty seat.  Good on the Skins brass for doing this.  

Lets Win This For Rich!!!

49 minutes ago, c slag said:

Did Rich write for the magazine "Warpath" back in the 90s?

He will certainly be missed 

Wonder if the Redskins will have a ceremony for him on Sunday 

His family is in our thoughts 

There's a Rick Snider tweet in this thread that links to his mention of it: "Rich's press row seat will remain forever empty. Ironically, I remember Rich's first season working for Warpath magazine. Long story short, the team reluctantly granted a press pass to the publication I edited and Rich was made our correspondent. The team put him in the third row without a seat. Rich stood the entire season. He said standing didn't bother him after a lifetime of working on his feet."

https://thefandc.radio.com/rich-tandler-was-fans-link-to-redskins

• TK changed the title to Rich Tandler has died
3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Not sure if it's related but if he was in Temple Hills then it's being investigated (not for a homicide but basic unattended death investigation):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/man-found-dead-in-temple-hills-police-investigating-as-homicide/2018/10/17/400e6a6e-d217-11e8-8c22-fa2ef74bd6d6_story.html?utm_term=.da11712f0aab

It's not.

3 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

RIP RICH! What a class act you were Sir.

Why couldn't it have been Jason Reid.

So you know a class act when you see one, but you have no idea on how to be one yourself. Hopefully you figure it out soon. 

5 hours ago, FS#21 said:

I've only seen 1 tweet and it was a response to someone asking How he died. The reply said something like car accident and he drowned but the account is not verified so who knows how true that is. Awful way to go if it is. Not fair at all. 

Lots of trolls on Twitter. That was one of them.

5 hours ago, zoony said:

It’s a little crazy we don’t know how he died?  Did someone say it was an accident or did I imagine that?

It's not crazy at all. It's about respect for the family. 

Very sad news. Never met him in person but did have some back and forth in the comments sections of some of his articles. Always thought it was cool he would respond and engage. I liked he never talked down to me when we disagreed - which was not often.

Very sudden. Must be a horrible shock to the family. Rest in Peace! 

I literally gasped when I read the news this morning.  Rich wrote a few truly wonderful, well-written, fact filled books on the Redskins back in the day before you could get your Redskins news on the internet.  I urge you to check any of them out. 

I just hope his family knows what he meant to the Redskins Faithful.  A wonderful man.  So glad he got his dream job on NBC Sports Washington.  RIP. 

After the initial shock and sadness I wondered how he will be replaced and I don't think it's possible. Very sad to hear about this terrible news. Rich Tandler was the ultimate pro as a reporter and he will be greatly missed. Thank you for always keeping us informed Rich and condolences to the Tandler family. RIP fellow Skins lover.

Archived