Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

Did you guys watch the Sunday night and Monday night games? I saw empty seats @Pittsburg and @Denver. Both games sounded fun and the commentators kept saying how loud it was and how much homefield advantage they had. But at the same time, KC didn't seem to have any problems changing plays or making calls at the line.

Even if "Only" 40-50 k show up to the stadium on Sundays, Skins will always be the most popular team in the area. Too much history and a built up fan base. Furthermore, Baseball is too new & I doubt the average DC resident would even recognize Oveichkien or whatever his name is at a bar. Hockey seems too foreign. Just my take though.

17 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Was watching the Steelers/Ravens game on TV last night and they mentioned that in Pittsburgh at some point during the game they play Styx's "Renegade" to get the crowd fired up.

We don't have anything like that. Closest thing we probably had was the Funky 4, which was corny but at least somewhat unique, and the organization even ruined that by turning it into a stupid FedEx commercial. 

Only song I like with Renegade in it I like was with Jay-Z and Eminem.  They really used that Styx song? That song sucks as a hype aong, they shoulda waited until Bell came back to play that.  I have some hip hop hits at FedEx, but overall yes, our DJ sucks and has zero timing.

6 minutes ago, Skins8989 said:

Even if "Only" 40-50 k show up to the stadium on Sundays, Skins will always be the most popular team in the area. Too much history and a built up fan base. Furthermore, Baseball is too new & I doubt the average DC resident would even recognize Oveichkien or whatever his name is at a bar. Hockey seems too foreign. Just my take though.

The city is changing. "Ovechkin or whatever his name is?" This shows my previously expressed belief that our fanbase is DUMB AF. The hundreds of thousands of fans that showed up to watch hockey tell a different story. Hockey took over football awhile ago, Skins fans are just too arrogant and stupid to realize it. That's where we are as a fanbase. You are way off with your intel, but you fit right in.

4 hours ago, Skins8989 said:

No one gives a damn about the redskins.  The only reason why the redskins as you say are more talked about because they are 16 games compared to the other sports. You don't micro analyze each game.  

It will be telling to see how many caps fans without tickets are pre-gaming around Capital One arena tomorrow.  I made it in to the viewing party for the cup win and it was awesome. Outdoor was crazy packed - It had to be enough total fans to pack Raljon and maybe even the field. This all for an away game of course.

Hockey in DC has never been more popular.  I think it will eat into Skins sales more than ever.  Too bad Willy will be banned for ~the month.

17 hours ago, Skins8989 said:

You don’t actually live here if you believe that. I guarantee you Ovie is more popular than any Redskin by at least tenfold. Not even a discussion.

I personally will not support anything like Ticketmaster or StubHub where you have to pay a ****ing "service fee" that is like 25% the price of the ticket, and THEN another $3 fee.

I was looking at StubHub the other day at tickets for the Caps opener tonight and there were 2 for $129 a piece.  After fees the total price for 2 tickets was like $330.  Each ticket had a $30 service fee and then another $3 fee on top of that.

**** that.

13 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

No one gives a damn about the redskins.  The only reason why the redskins as you say are more talked about because they are 16 games compared to the other sports. You don't micro analyze each game.  

A lot of people give a damn about the Redskins, just not as many as there were in the past.

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

A lot of people give a damn about the Redskins, just not as many as there were in the past.

That's where you're wrong buddy.  This town has clearly moved past the Redskins, and now consider them irrelevant.  If they were still relevant, you wouldn't have 40-50K show up at a stadium where the capacity is literally twice that amount.  Look around you, dude.  NO ONE is buying Redskins merch (No Redskins player has a jersey in the top 50 of jersey sales), Meanwhile Caps, Nats and even Wiz gear couldn't be more popular, and displayed everywhere you go in town.  The Redskins have no one to blame but their damn selves for the position that they're in now.  If you were arguing this case 2-3 years ago, you would be right, but now, it just looks and sounds sad.  This team took the fan base for granted, and now they're paying for it in spades.  Think about this for a second, do you know ANY Redskins fans younger than the age of 25?  Most people in the 18-25 year old demographic have seen a losing franchise for their entire life.  The past success means nothing to them.  Their friends all probably root for the Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Packers, etc.

8 minutes ago, samy316 said:

That's where you're wrong buddy.  This town has clearly moved past the Redskins, and now consider them irrelevant.  If they were still relevant, you wouldn't have 40-50K show up at a stadium where the capacity is literally twice that amount.  Look around you, dude.  NO ONE is buying Redskins merch (No Redskins player has a jersey in the top 50 of jersey sales), Meanwhile Caps, Nats and even Wiz gear couldn't be more popular, and displayed everywhere you go in town.  The Redskins have no one to blame but their damn selves for the position that they're in now.  If you were arguing this case 2-3 years ago, you would be right, but now, it just looks and sounds sad.  This team took the fan base for granted, and now they're paying for it in spades.  Think about this for a second, do you know ANY Redskins fans younger than the age of 25?  Most people in the 18-25 year old demographic have seen a losing franchise for their entire life.  The past success means nothing to them.  Their friends all probably root for the Steelers, Cowboys, Eagles, Giants, Packers, etc.

Valid points.

I'll agree to disagree that they're no longer relevant. I'll concede that they are not as relevant, but not irrelevant. I absolutely agree that the shrinking fan base is self-induced.

I do know a few younger fans, but not nearly as many as I used to.

I have mad respect for those fans, (the ones who are left ?),given how tough the Skins have made it for them.

In this day and age, it's just a fact of life that many younger fans want instant gratification, and they are notorious front-runners.   I'd venture to say that many of them didn't give two ****s about the Caps, or Wizards, until their recent success.  Hell, they probably can't name more than a handful of players on either squad

Let either one of those teams, especially the Wiz, have a few **** seasons, and those younger fans will stay away in droves. 

That's the world we live in.

20 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Valid points.

I'll agree to disagree that they're no longer relevant. I'll concede that they are not as relevant, but not irrelevant. I absolutely agree that the shrinking fan base is self-induced.

I do know a few younger fans, but not nearly as many as I used to.

I have mad respect for those fans, (the ones who are left ?),given how tough the Skins have made it for them.

In this day and age, it's just a fact of life that many younger fans want instant gratification, and they are notorious front-runners.   I'd venture to say that many of them didn't give two ****s about the Caps, or Wizards, until their recent success.  Hell, they probably can't name more than a handful of players on either squad

Let either one of those teams, especially the Wiz, have a few **** seasons, and those younger fans will stay away in droves. 

That's the world we live in.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I have to disagree about the younger generation/front runner perception.  The Caps have been consistently good for the last 10-12 years.  They've always been a playoff team, but never broke through until this past year.  I read a stat somewhere that the Caps missed the playoff their first 8 years of existence (1974-82).  Since then, they've only missed the playoffs 6 times in the past 36 years.  That's amazing consistency,  The Nats were moved here to DC from Montreal in 2005, and they're a young franchise that already has multiple NL East Titles (4 since 2012).  That's also consistent.  The Redskins on the other hand since Dan Snyder took over in 1999, have made the playoffs only 4 times in the last 20 years, with 2 division titles to show for it.

These younger generation Caps/Nats fans aren't bandwagoners, because the teams they've cheered have won consistently enough to earn multiple playoff trips.  The only disappointment they've suffered is that the Caps/Nats never got to the conference championship in their respective sports, until the Caps broke through finally in 2018.  The Redskins have a BIG problem, and a lot of it has to do with how they're viewed on the field and off the field.  If you lose consistently, but aren't embarrassing when you do it, people hate the disappointment, but at least they're proud of their team at the end of the day.  When you lose like the Redskins, PLUS are embarrassing off the field (FO, Owner, etc), then people will quickly start to lose hope.

Considering that pretty much all hosts on 1067 say Redskins talk is by FAR their highest rated topic, I'm going to disagree with those saying the Redskins are irrelevant.  Maybe your group of people you hang out with that is true for, just like my anecdotal example is the exact opposite and Redskins (and NFL in general) is BY FAR the most popular.  Then it's the Caps, then Wizards, and pretty much everyone I know doesn't give a **** about the Nats.

On the grand scheme of things, the ratings numbers don't lie and nothing still comes even CLOSE to the numbers that the Redskins draw.

I personally choose NOT to go to Redskins games partially because the product on the field has been bad the past decade and the game day experience just is not worth it.  To go to a 1 oclock game you pretty much have to spend the whole day there.  If you don't spend it there, you will be spending it on 495 because of the ****ty location.  I don't think the numbers at the games really has as much to do with fandom as some think. 

I've been to 2 Ravens games and the gameday experience there is simply better.  Everything from getting there, parking, tailgating, in stadium experience, and the drive home.  I'd just rather watch the game at home on my 10 foot screen and have people over where I can make my own drinks and food and not get ripped off buying a $12 beer.

The redskins are the highest rated topic because u can micro analyze every single decision in a football game.  You can't do that for any other sport.  You don't judge a 2 pt in a 2nd quarter game in a 82 game season like u do a failed 4th down conversion before halftime in game 4 of a season.  

Been discussed already how a main culprit for the low attendance so far has been the relatively high prices on the secondary market. And the opening day win against the Cardinals didn't seem to generate enthusiasm for people to show up for the Colts game. I thought maybe a good MNF showing getting the Skins to 3-1 might generate buzz for people to get tickets for the Panthers game on Sunday, but after this egg? Shocked if we don't see another sub-60K crowd at FedEx. 

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

For the first time in my life, I'm seeing ads on the metro for home games for the Redskins and ads on TV as well.  Fully expect them not to sell out next week, maybe the Dallas game if we win.

I think Dallas will be a sellout, but I shudder to think what the composition of the crowd will be. I was there last year and I don't think a 50/50 split was much of an exaggeration. Granted, the Cowboys aren't great shakes this season either, but a ton of DC area Dallas fans will show up. 

6 hours ago, -JB- said:

Until Dan Snyder sells the team, the Redskins will consistently be a train wreck.  Even the Browns have more promise than the ****ing Redskins.  The Browns.

The Browns will definitely make the playoffs before the Redskins do.  They are being built the right way.  Then you have the Redskins and their bumbling, incompetent ownership/management group. Firmly in place ....enjoy skins fans.

Archived