Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Listened today to Hoffman's radio segment which someone mentioned here where he heard they liked Harry and Brown.  Hearing it myself I was surprised how definitive Hoffman was on it. Where he flat out said Harry and Brown are their favorite receivers. Typically beat guys soften their statements and say they heard they like so and so.  Hoffman flat out said they like these 2 the best.  That's as definitive as I could recall a beat guy has been on the draft at least this early.  That doesn't mean Hoffman can't be wrong.  But I can't ignore Harry with that kind of statement.

So that made me look at N'Keal Harry and just watched 3 of his games.

What I liked:

Big physical dude who is a big time YAC guy

His hands look good -- albeit not great

Really physical as to contested catches, I'd put my money on him on 50-50 balls

Played all over the field, X, Y, Z.  Looks more like a natural X even though in the games I watched he played more Z and in the slot

He's just nasty as a run blocker, fun to watch

For a big dude he can go deep even though its not his niche.  I noticed though he has one of the best catch rates for deep passing

He can return punts

What I didn't like

Can he separate? -- not a lot of separation from him on his routes

He can make some acrobatic catches but also drops some easy ones  

As good of a run blocker he is, on occasion he looks lazy out of nowhere on that front

He looks a little stiff in his movements 

He seems to shine mostly on easier routes -- hitches, slants, etc.  So can he develop as a well rounded route runner?

To me he comes off like a more souped up Pierre Garcon with similar attributes.   Garcon is the better separator IMO.  Harry could end up the better player because of his size and by extension is more freakish.  I like him.  Not sure I love him but I'll dive into more games to decide. As for them wanting to hit the ground running with their prospects, I gather since so much of what he does is around the flat, he can be useful for the weak armed QBs we have.  I wouldn't take him at 15 but if he dropped into the 2nd, I don't think that would be crazy.  But not sure I am sold on him yet got to digest it more. 

Some of his plays below, mostly YAC runs, best being the last one.

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

If we draft an early corner, do you think they start ahead of Dunbar/Moreau?  Or would you take Murphy (if available) and stick him in the slot? 

I think we can get a quality TE in any of the first 3 rounds... and I hope we do.  1st is a little rich for me, but... 

I'm hoping for QB, Edge, or Corner in the first, in that order of preference.  I like the value of TE better in round two or three or even five better than at 15, and I'm actually kind of hoping that Hockenson gets picked before 15 to push another guy down.  The value of corner and edge feel a lot better at 15, where elite prospects could be available.  If the corner run starts and ends before 15--and it might--then that means either a surprising QB or DL prospect might fall into our range instead.

I also really like the potential value of trading down from 15 into the 20s and going for a DL or CB in that spot.  I think Julian Love and Christian Wilkins might still be available then, and so might Jachai Polite after that awful combine that he had.

As for your question about CBs, I wouldn't give a draft pick anything.  It's imperative that he be forced to earn his spot on the field.  We have a younger group there, and they are talented.  You have to breed competition in them to get the most from them.

26 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm hoping for QB, Edge, or Corner in the first, in that order of preference. 

Yeah I don't like any of the QB's with a 1st.  I think there's better value as a 6th because none of the QB's in reach are the best value.  Skins have too much need in order to roll with a rookie.  Next year, definitely going to be better class.  Agree with the Edge and OL, which this draft is deep on. 

45 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm hoping for QB, Edge, or Corner in the first, in that order of preference.  I like the value of TE better in round two or three or even five better than at 15, and I'm actually kind of hoping that Hockenson gets picked before 15 to push another guy down.  The value of corner and edge feel a lot better at 15, where elite prospects could be available.  If the corner run starts and ends before 15--and it might--then that means either a surprising QB or DL prospect might fall into our range instead.

I also really like the potential value of trading down from 15 into the 20s and going for a DL or CB in that spot.  I think Julian Love and Christian Wilkins might still be available then, and so might Jachai Polite after that awful combine that he had.

As for your question about CBs, I wouldn't give a draft pick anything.  It's imperative that he be forced to earn his spot on the field.  We have a younger group there, and they are talented.  You have to breed competition in them to get the most from them.

I think trading down is a must.  The only guys I'd run to the podium would be Devin White or TJ Hockenson.  We have so many needs and need as many picks in the 2-4 range as possible.

I'm pretty sure that Greedy Williams will be there at 15.  I think some team will trade up for him.  My favorite trade idea is #15+#153 for #20+#66.  Its basically the same trade that the Bills and Ravens made last year (Ravens going from 16 down to 22).  Steelers need Corners in the worst way and Greedy would be a tempting target.

That extra early 3rd rounder could be used to take a much needed TE, OG, or traded for Rosen potentially.

I haven't thought corner for us at 15..given our young depth at the position and hope that one or two will emerge from the group. but.... we don't have anyone elite at that position so if baker or Murphy is there and we pull the trigger then Norman is gone right? What is his cap savings if we make that move? I see edge, qb, wr, og, te all positions with greater need. Value is value and if we can get one of those two cbs..then so be it. 

18 hours ago, nonniey said:

Question would you rather have that extra 2d or a 1st next year? For everyone.

No question--1st next year.

The standard trade conversion is to bump this year's pick up a round for the following year: pick in Round X this year = pick in Round X-1 next year. And i think that is perfectly reasonable for the lower rounds. E.g., there's not much marginal difference in value b/w a 6th and 7th round pick.

But the value of a 1st round pick is much higher than that of a 2d round pick (depending somewhat, of course, where in the 1st round, given the steep drop-off in value for picks near the top of the round). And a pair of 1sts can be converted into a high 1st to draft a qb, which is something we, in particular, might well want to do.

Think of the general question this way: Which would you rather have over the next 10 years: nineteen 1st round picks and no 2d round picks (and another extra 1st waiting for the following year), or ten in the 1st and ten in the 2d? (I.e., the first option is what what would happen if you traded your 2d each year for a 1st in the following year.) Because the first option is, IMO, plainly much better, this extrapolation is helpful to see that a 1st next year is worth more than a 2d this year.

I think this is plainly true in the abstract--i.e., making the decision before you know who is available. The only basis to trade to take someone this year in the 2d and give up a 1st the following year is if: 1) it's a high 2d and you will likely have a late 1st the following year (not so likely for us), and/or 2) in the course of the draft there is someone available in the 2d that you have graded very highly, fits your system, and meets an immediate need that you don't think you can otherwise fill.

The way the team has set the offense up, it is paramount we get a stud at guard in rd 2 and load up on OL depth in FA and draft. To win games next year, looks like formula is to run the ball and D up. Christian needs competition for the backup T job - he should not be guaranteed a spot next year. I'd bring back Cooper as my guard backup, Bergstrom as the G/C and add a guy who is a true swing tackle type as I don't think Christian has the mean streak to backup Moses.

Ozigbo, nice player, had a nice Pro day.

Malik Clements, a guy to watch. 

Damion Willis, smooth WR, guy to watch.

Ty Summers - kid can play, kid can move.

Watch his coverage at 3:06

Otaro Alaka is a tough kid, may be a nice special teams guy, could turn into an edge with some decent potential. 

Perhaps the most underrated prospect in the draft, Kingsley KeKe. He’s going to be a good player in the league. 

16 hours ago, PlayAction said:

Skins won 2 out of their last 11 games.  Not sure there are any QBs they really like anyways.

Well obviously they should have "tanked" those 2 games 🤣

They had exactly 1 win for the whole month of November, and 1 win for the whole month of December.. and people still complain about them winning meaningless games.

Every year people play the "if they'd only lost this or that" they'd have a better draft pick and all their ills will be cured.. some seem more infatuated with losing for draft picks then winning for a shot at the playoffs.

Whatever, it is what it is. Make the best you can with what you've got.

4 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

The NFL Draft this year with some of these guys names. LOL

Lil'Jordan Humphrey and Andrew Van Ginkel are my two favorites.  They make me laugh every time.  Yodny Cajuste is pretty strange too.  Rock Ya-Sin and Jonathan Ledbetter split the prize for the two best football names this year.

I think Clelin Furrrrrl is the most country ass name in years, although Elgton with the G comes close.

Kahale Warring wins the Mutumbo prize this year for how crazy his full name is.

Oshane Ximines wins the award for most confusing name.  He's a black guy with an Irish Mexican name.  Sheldrick Redwine is second, that one sounds like it belongs to a medieval English friar.

I also kind of like that Dru Samia spells his name the same way as Dru Hill.

And my boy Gardner Minshew has a great name too.

Or how about this ****ing name: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/hjalte-froholdt?id=32194652-4f24-2081-4dce-09bac366d016

He shouldn't count though because he's an exchange student.

4 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

Well obviously they should have "tanked" those 2 games 🤣

They had exactly 1 win for the whole month of November, and 1 win for the whole month of December.. and people still complain about them winning meaningless games.

Every year people play the "if they'd only lost this or that" they'd have a better draft pick and all their ills will be cured.. some seem more infatuated with losing for draft picks then winning for a shot at the playoffs.

Whatever, it is what it is. Make the best you can with what you've got.

Losing in week 18 < 5 years of several superior football players on our roster, imho.

8 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

DId I miss a post regarding potential OL (guard, specifically) targets? I think our interior line play, outside of Scherff, is precarious. I’m a bit upset FA hasn’t focused on this issue.

A left guard must have done something evil to Bruce Allen when he was younger.

16 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

I haven't thought corner for us at 15..given our young depth at the position and hope that one or two will emerge from the group. but.... we don't have anyone elite at that position so if baker or Murphy is there and we pull the trigger then Norman is gone right? What is his cap savings if we make that move? I see edge, qb, wr, og, te all positions with greater need. Value is value and if we can get one of those two cbs..then so be it. 

They would save $8.5M off the CAP but have $6M in dead CAP. I hope they stay away from CB. I prefer Oline or Edge. 

I’m a BPA guy, always have been, but it is hard for me to ignore how desperately in need of talent the offensive side of the ball is (with glaring needs at QB, WR, TE, LG etc...). That said, I think our needs might match up nicely with best available talent in the early rounds, because of the depth at several of the aforementioned positions).

As it currently stands, this would have to project as just about the worst offense in the NFC, and there doesn’t seem to be any help coming from the FA ranks. A draft along the lines of the following, could be a great start to improving the future prospects of the offense. Especially if they send next year’s #2 and a player to AZ for Rosen... 

1.15 - Hockenson

2.14 - WR (i.e. Samuel)

3.15 -  New starting LG

If we’re talking pure BPA, which given the deplorable state of the offense, I can’t see Bruce & Jay doing in a make or break year... my current favorites, who might be reasonably available at 15, would probably be... 

D. White

Hockenson

Burns

Though, the best case scenario might be to trade back off of 15, add another 3rd, and pick from a great value pool of late first round talent.

These draft dorkchops may be getting the hang of it. 

• Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline passes along that Oklahoma G Dru Samia met with the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Detroit Lions during his pro day.

Both Pauline and The Athletic's Dane Brugler believe that Samia has starting upside. He comes equipped with big boy strength in the upper body, as well as a nice balance in his footwork. The 6-foot-5, 305-pounder makes for a likely Day 3 selection -- above average pass-rushers can cause him issue -- with an appealing ceiling.

SOURCE: Draft Analyst
    Mar 14, 2019, 4:34 PM

Archived