Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Volsmet in particular I presume is going to like hearing this.

Just listened to Sheehan's podcast.  He said that he's heard that the Redskins don't like Haskins -- Jay in particular isn't a fan of his play.  

I've stated on this thread before the one dude I never hear mentioned to the Redskins among the QBs is Haskins.  So finally that's mention #1 which I caught. 

Thanks for bringing my attention to this guy, Volsmet! You can see his good and bad in this video. Fails to make the tackle on the WR screen at 4:11. Misses the tackle at 4:24 and 4:59. Poor play at 5:21. Misses the tackle at 5:46. But, for all of the bad plays, he is a machine in coverage. He just looks so good in coverage, and TCU plays him to his strength. 

He has very good size and explosion numbers. At 241 pounds ran a 4.51 had a 36 inch vertical and a 123 inch broad jump. 27 reps of 225. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ty-summers?id=32195355-4d60-6964-28e0-f107fd758851

Stats actually don't look awesome. Much less productive than, say, Devin White. And it looks like he had a better year as a junior than a senior. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ty-summers-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/devin-white-1.html

Overall, I love him in the 4th or 5th. He has great tools, and is already great in coverage. He's not very physical. He fell off David Montgomery and Hakim Butler multiple times in the game above. You can plug him and play him immediately on passing downs however, and I think he has the potential to grow into a real impact starter. He probably will also initially be a feature on special teams. I'm adding him to my list of high potential targets. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Thanks for bringing my attention to this guy, Volsmet! You can see his good and bad in this video. Fails to make the tackle on the WR screen at 4:11. Misses the tackle at 4:24 and 4:59. Poor play at 5:21. Misses the tackle at 5:46. But, for all of the bad plays, he is a machine in coverage. He just looks so good in coverage, and TCU plays him to his strength. 

He has very good size and explosion numbers. At 241 pounds ran a 4.51 had a 36 inch vertical and a 123 inch broad jump. 27 reps of 225. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ty-summers?id=32195355-4d60-6964-28e0-f107fd758851

Stats actually don't look awesome. Much less productive than, say, Devin White. And it looks like he had a better year as a junior than a senior. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ty-summers-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/devin-white-1.html

Overall, I love him in the 4th or 5th. He has great tools, and is already great in coverage. He's not very physical. He fell off David Montgomery and Hakim Butler multiple times in the game above. You can plug him and play him immediately on passing downs however, and I think he has the potential to grow into a real impact starter. He probably will also initially be a feature on special teams. I'm adding him to my list of high potential targets. 

Yeah, he was pretty banged up this year, his wrist, shoulder & foot in particular were an issue throughout the season. Patterson can guard that stuff pretty heavily, but when the kids move on that information is shared more freely. He looked absolutely atrocious trying to make a few/several tackles, but the issues weren’t about getting to the ball, so it should be correctable. 

He has some tools to work with. I’m going through some round 5-UDFA guys each night & figured I’d post a few that I believe have the chance to make a roster. 

These will be the most horrendously boring football prospects on the planet to most, but not to the gentlemen of the draft thread.

———

SIP! If we don’t like Haskins, but Steve does, I may have to reevaluate the entirety of my existence. 

If you can afford to give Haskins a year off, he certainly has immense talent in that arm, he could be a Byron Leftwich ... actually that’s exactly who the Terps QB signee reminds me of. Haskins has some Drew Bledsoe, which reminds me, does anyone remember how bad Drew’s college stats were, brutal.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Volsmet in particular I presume is going to like hearing this.

Just listened to Sheehan's podcast.  He said that he's heard that the Redskins don't like Haskins -- Jay in particular isn't a fan of his play.  

I've stated on this thread before the one dude I never hear mentioned to the Redskins among the QBs is Haskins.  So finally that's mention #1 which I caught. 

I'm not confident in Lock ever being more than a velocity/stick throw guy that lacks touch. I think he's Matt Stafford, which is a hell of a lot better than what we have, but not a Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, etc. Not being that confident a QB evaluator though, Lock could be better. I don't know. What I do know is that I wish this team had a better poker face and wasn't always tipping its hand.

15 minutes ago, volsmet said:

He has some tools to work with. I’m going through some round 5-UDFA guys each night & figured I’d post a few that I believe have the chance to make a roster. 

These will be the most horrendously boring football prospects on the planet to most, but not to the gentlemen of the draft thread.

———

SIP! If we don’t like Haskins, but Steve does, I may have to reevaluate the entirety of my existence. 

Haskins has some Drew Bledsoe, which reminds me, does anyone remember how bad Drew’s college stats were, brutal.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/drew-bledsoe-1.html

Ouch. Those are horrible. Almost Daniel Jones bad, except for the YPA are above 7.0. I'm still waiting for someone to find me a semi-successful NFL QB that never threw for 3000 yards or 7.0 YPA in college. At least Bledsoe had a good arm. 

I love finding late round gems. It's easy to find guys with the potential to be back ups. Give me the late round guys with the potential to be starters or play a lot of minutes and really contribute. As Ioannidis gets closer and closer to needing a contract, am I the only one that thinks Maurice Hurst was a no brainer pick over Apke? While we blew the Apke pick and missed on Hurst, I loved SDH(6), Greg Stroman(7), and Trey Quinn(7). They made that draft for me, and I still think that 2 of the 3 might wind up starting and all 3 should see major minutes. 

36 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I think we'll draft Jones at 15, a WR in the second and some type of combo interior offensive lineman in the third.

All bets are off if the Rosen thing pans out.

Really couldn't think of a worse thing the Redskins can do than draft a QB (barring a miraculous drop) at 15. Chances would be very high that that move would set the franchise back a decade.

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I love finding late round gems. It's easy to find guys with the potential to be back ups. Give me the late round guys with the potential to be starters or play a lot of minutes and really contribute. As Ioannidis gets closer and closer to needing a contract, am I the only one that thinks Maurice Hurst was a no brainer pick over Apke? While we blew the Apke pick and missed on Hurst, I loved SDH(6), Greg Stroman(7), and Trey Quinn(7). They made that draft for me, and I still think that 2 of the 3 might wind up starting and all 3 should see major minutes. 

On 4/28/2018 at 9:41 PM, volsmet said:

My final draft day revisionists draft would have been:

1. D James
  2. D Guice
  3. M Jefferson
  4. M Hurst
  5. T Settle
  6. Equanimeous St Brown
  7. Holton Hill
  8. Desmond Harrison

I was absolutely with you on Hurst. I liked our draft a lot, but I would love to have Derwin & Hurst on the squad. I would have been tempted to move to the top of round 2 once James Daniels was still on the board, I had him in my top 15.

I’m excited about Settle, I think he will prove to be one of the best picks of the draft. 

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Ouch. Those are horrible. Almost Daniel Jones bad, except for the YPA are above 7.0. I'm still waiting for someone to find me a semi-successful NFL QB that never threw for 3000 yards or 7.0 YPA in college. At least Bledsoe had a good arm. 

Roger Staubach, 9.9 yards in 1962. Love that stat.

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Navy         314 494 63.6 3799 7.7 6.6 18 20 132.1
1962 Navy Ind   QB 10 67 98 68.4 966 9.9 9.9 7 3 168.6
*1963 Navy Ind   QB 11 128 192 66.7 1702 8.9 8.0 7 7 145.9
1964 Navy Ind   QB 10 119 204 58.3 1131 5.5 3.7 4 10 101.6

Dave Krieg was once his schools #11 QB or something preposterous like that, 

Matt Cassell fits.

Warren Moon was grotesque.

Brad Johnson was a backup.

Tom Brady is close, obviously.

Different eras, it’s tough to pull off now.

Eli, for the same coach:

Passing
Career Ole Miss         829 1363 60.8 10119 7.4 7.5 81 35 137.7
2000 Ole Miss SEC FR QB 6 16 33 48.5 170 5.2 3.8 0 1 85.7
2001 Ole Miss SEC SO QB 11 259 408 63.5 2948 7.2 7.8 31 9 144.8
*2002 Ole Miss SEC JR QB 13 279 481 58.0 3401 7.1 6.5 21 15 125.6
*2003 Ole Miss SEC SR QB 13 275 441 62.4 3600 8.2 8.5 29 10 148.1

What round do you guys think Riley Ridley will go in? He’s the brother of Calvin Ridley right? Is he supposed to be as good as his brother? Like 1st-2nd round type good? Cause I’d be all for drafting him. Missed out on one Ridley last year, why not get the younger one this year 😂 

55 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What round do you guys think Riley Ridley will go in? He’s the brother of Calvin Ridley right? Is he supposed to be as good as his brother? Like 1st-2nd round type good? Cause I’d be all for drafting him. Missed out on one Ridley last year, why not get the younger one this year 😂 

Probably between picks 45 & 65. Imo. 

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What round do you guys think Riley Ridley will go in? He’s the brother of Calvin Ridley right? 😂 

I'd guess a 4th rounder based on his production and subpar combine. The rap on him is he's a polished route runner like his brother but is a slower version of him.  He didn't have big numbers at Georgia (most blamed that though on the scheme) but he didn't help himself at the combine.  I'd like him though just not early in the draft, I've talked about him on the thread on and off.

8 hours ago, volsmet said:

If you can afford to give Haskins a year off, he certainly has immense talent in that arm, he could be a Byron Leftwich ... actually that’s exactly who the Terps QB signee reminds me of. Haskins has some Drew Bledsoe, which reminds me, does anyone remember how bad Drew’s college stats were, brutal.

McCloughan said Haskins reminds him a lot of Leftwich.   I still haven't watched Haskins yet to make up my own mind.  His numbers are eye popping but some like Cooley and Chris Simms say those #'s are deceiving.  Then again Haskins has a lot of fans among the draft geek-mock draft people.  

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I'm not confident in Lock ever being more than a velocity/stick throw guy that lacks touch. I think he's Matt Stafford...What I do know is that I wish this team had a better poker face and wasn't always tipping its hand.

If Lock is the next Matt Stafford, sign me up.  😀  But I wouldn't give up the moon to get him, I'd at most trade up a little.  The one guy I keep hearing including via Sheehan yesterday that they love is Kyler Murray.    As for them tipping their hand, yeah its weird because they are good at keeping their FA intentions quiet but they leak on the draft.  Last year those leaks ended up being pretty accurate.  The one thing though is they like to say their draft evaluations are on going so maybe they like certain guys at a given time but their opinions change/evolve?

Trying to recall last year in the process when we kept hearing they love the same players repeatedly but at some point like a drum it was:  Fitzpatrick, Vea or Payne (with a possible preference to Payne), D. James, Guice.  We haven't really gotten a mantra going with multiple reporters talking up the same players like last year yet aside from about Kyler Murray.

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

As Ioannidis gets closer and closer to needing a contract, am I the only one that thinks Maurice Hurst was a no brainer pick over Apke? While we blew the Apke pick and missed on Hurst, I loved SDH(6), Greg Stroman(7), and Trey Quinn(7). They made that draft for me, and I still think that 2 of the 3 might wind up starting and all 3 should see major minutes. 

Recall that Ioannidis was thought to be a bust after year 1.  He took a huge step up in year 2 and fans realized he might be starter quality.  Apke was expected to be a project who could contribute only on special teams in year 1.  He never got the benefit of his development time because he got injured.  Don't give up on him yet.  It will be interesting to see what the new secondary coach does with Adonis Alexander, Apke, and Nicholson.

44 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Recall that Ioannidis was thought to be a bust after year 1.  He took a huge step up in year 2 and fans realized he might be starter quality.  Apke was expected to be a project who could contribute only on special teams in year 1.  He never got the benefit of his development time because he got injured.  Don't give up on him yet.  It will be interesting to see what the new secondary coach does with Adonis Alexander, Apke, and Nicholson.

Yeh, little early to consider Apke a blown pick. Let it breathe a little lol!

6 hours ago, volsmet said:

I was absolutely with you on Hurst. I liked our draft a lot, but I would love to have Derwin & Hurst on the squad. I would have been tempted to move to the top of round 2 once James Daniels was still on the board, I had him in my top 15.

I’m excited about Settle, I think he will prove to be one of the best picks of the draft. 

Roger Staubach, 9.9 yards in 1962. Love that stat.

Passing
Career Navy         314 494 63.6 3799 7.7 6.6 18 20 132.1
1962 Navy Ind   QB 10 67 98 68.4 966 9.9 9.9 7 3 168.6
*1963 Navy Ind   QB 11 128 192 66.7 1702 8.9 8.0 7 7 145.9
1964 Navy Ind   QB 10 119 204 58.3 1131 5.5 3.7 4 10 101.6

Dave Krieg was once his schools #11 QB or something preposterous like that, 

Matt Cassell fits.

Warren Moon was grotesque.

Brad Johnson was a backup.

Tom Brady is close, obviously.

Different eras, it’s tough to pull off now.

Eli, for the same coach:

Passing
Career Ole Miss         829 1363 60.8 10119 7.4 7.5 81 35 137.7
2000 Ole Miss SEC FR QB 6 16 33 48.5 170 5.2 3.8 0 1 85.7
2001 Ole Miss SEC SO QB 11 259 408 63.5 2948 7.2 7.8 31 9 144.8
*2002 Ole Miss SEC JR QB 13 279 481 58.0 3401 7.1 6.5 21   125.6
*2003 Ole Miss SEC SR QB 13 275 441 62.4 3600 8.2 8.5 29 10 148.1

Matt Cassel fits, but only had 27 attempts split between his Junior and Senior years. I also wouldn't be thrilled with spending a first or second on Matt Cassel. Moon, Johnson and Brady all passed 7.0 YPA. 

Regarding Apke, regardless of whether he pans out, it was a dumb pick. He had no collegiate production and could have been had much lower and better prospects were available. I'm not dooming him to a failed career, I'm just saying that he could have been had later and better prospects were available. He was our biggest reach. 

Blake Cashman looks like a useful prospect. If he is overvalues based on his combine, then he may go too high. I think his natural range should be 3rd/4th, and I would like him there. I feel like there are a million LB's in this draft who are better than Mason Foster. 

With the benefit of hindsight Derwin James becomes even more valuable to us, not just because of his onfield play, but because it would have prevented us from spending so much on Collins.

I want to love Collins.  I really appreciate that he wanted to be here so badly, and that he was over the moon to sign with us.  He's such a great fit from a culture standpoint.  But I just can't get past how expensive he is.  I have a bad feeling about the contract.  And I believe it already caused some of our young talent to walk out the door, without proper compensation or ready replacements on the roster.  We're treading water and we need to hit a home run with this draft to actually advance as a team.  We need to get Haskins or Murray, or else hit big on multiple guys at the other positions.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

With the benefit of hindsight Derwin James becomes even more valuable to us, not just because of his onfield play, but because it would have prevented us from spending so much on Collins.

I want to love Collins.  I really appreciate that he wanted to be here so badly, and that he was over the moon to sign with us.  He's such a great fit from a culture standpoint.  But I just can't get past how expensive he is.  I have a bad feeling about the contract.  And I believe it already caused some of our young talent to walk out the door, without proper compensation or ready replacements on the roster.  We're treading water and we need to hit a home run with this draft to actually advance as a team.  We need to get Haskins or Murray, or else hit big on multiple guys at the other positions.

Who do you think walked out the door? Before the Landon signing it was pretty much understood that Crowder and Smith were probably not coming back...

3 minutes ago, dballer said:

Who do you think walked out the door? Before the Landon signing it was pretty much understood that Crowder and Smith were probably not coming back... 

Smith and Crowder.  Did we even attempt to extend them?

1 minute ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

I would add that now we know the real numbers and not the fluff announced by his agent, Collins was really not that expensive and we can move on fairly painlessly in 2 years if we want to.

He's going to cost 14 million next year.  That's expensive.  We're in a situation where we almost have to cut him or renegotiate him in two years because the hit jumps to 17 million and cutting him would save 8 million.  But then we'd have a 9 million dollar dead cap hit and no starting safety.  It's not a good outcome either.

For Collins to justify his contract, he's going to need to make a big leap as a player and become a DPOY type presence in the D.  That wouldn't be the craziest thing that's ever happened, but does anyone really expect it to?

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Smith and Crowder.  Did we even attempt to extend them?

I don't know but before free agency began the word was they were going to be gone. I don't know that they weren't re-signed due to the Collins contract. 

And Smith got a hell of a deal himself. I think they believe Ryan Anderson is good enough to not need Smith. 

Crowder is tough, he was the best receiver we have when he was on the field. But he's coming off a couple of injury riddled seasons and he basically started sucking in the return game. And again, he got a real healthy contract. And they really do believe in Quinn, seemingly.

Archived