Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

44 minutes ago, dballer said:

Hopefully just significant enough for him to drop down to 15. Probably the only chance we have at him. 

I am guessing Sweat still might be gone, reading further it looks like his condition is minor.  I started watching Ferrell a bit more closely.  If I had to guess today who do they draft if they stick to 15, I'd say Ferrell.  Freudian slip when Jay recently joked about all the Alabama players they had and said this time he might be looking at Clemson?  At least judging by mocks, he should be there at 15.  But who knows.  Will see. 

My take on Ferrell is he has a relentless motor, brings energy onto the field.  He's a handful for O lineman -- strong, quick hands.  Fast first step.  Some say he isn't suited to a 3-4 but from what I watched he dropped back into coverage multiple times.   So if anything he should be more prepared to be a 3-4 OLB than Kerrigan and Preston was.  

He can stop the run and sometimes does it with some fire/oomph.  He comes off like a tone setter.  He played mostly right DE.  But they also moved him at times inside.  And moved him to the left.  He's well rounded -- does stunts, plays outside, inside, and covers.  Seems to have multiple pass rushing moves. 

My concerns is he wouldn't bring a new dynamic to the defense. That is, he's more in the power rusher than speed rusher mode.  I've seen some compare him to Preston Smith but I think he has more burst and isn't as a stiff as Preston.  Plus Ferrell's motor doesn't run hot and cold like Preston IMO sometime does.  He overpursues sometimes and leaves his gap open for a QB or RB to exploit.  He's not as explosive as some of the quicker twitch pass rushers in this draft.    

But he seems soooo up this FO's alley for the D line.  He checks off so many boxes I think for them:

Leader -- great dude at least reputation wise 

Played some coverage

Can stop the run and pose a threat pass rush wise

Well rounded

Tone setter

And I suspect they'd get a kick out of taking a player high from the National Champions

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am guessing Sweat still might be gone, reading further it looks like his condition is minor.  I started watching Ferrell a bit more closely.  If I had to guess today who do they draft if they stick to 15, I'd say Ferrell.  Freudian slip when Jay recently joked about all the Alabama players they had and said this time he might be looking at Clemson?  At least judging by mocks, he should be there at 15.  But who knows.  Will see. 

My take on Ferrell is he has a relentless motor, brings energy onto the field.  He's a handful for O lineman -- strong, quick hands.  Fast first step.  Some say he isn't suited to a 3-4 but from what I watched he dropped back into coverage multiple times.   So if anything he should be more prepared to be a 3-4 OLB than Kerrigan and Preston was.  

He can stop the run and sometimes does it with some fire/oomph.  He comes off like a tone setter.  He played mostly right DE.  But they also moved him at times inside.  And moved him to the left.  He's well rounded -- does stunts, plays outside, inside, and covers.  Seems to have multiple pass rushing moves. 

My concerns is he wouldn't bring a new dynamic to the defense. That is, he's more in the power rusher than speed rusher mode.  I've seen some compare him to Preston Smith but I think he has more burst and isn't as a stiff as Preston.  Plus Ferrell's motor doesn't run hot and cold like Preston IMO sometime does.  He overpursues sometimes and leaves his gap open for a QB or RB to exploit.  He's not as explosive as some of the quicker twitch pass rushers in this draft.    

But he seems soooo up this FO's alley for the D line.  He checks off so many boxes I think for them:

Leader -- great dude at least reputation wise 

Played some coverage

Can stop the run and pose a threat pass rush wise

Well rounded

Tone setter

Agree with the analysis of Ferrell. As an ACC guy I saw him plenty. He would be a very solid pick. Probably a little better against the run that Kerrigan. Similar pass rush. Just not quite a game disrupter like I want. How do you compare him to Burns, who in most mocks is around the same area? To me, Burns is a bit more disruptive. Doesn't have the same motor, but more big play capability. Also, pretty good when he drops into coverage. I think I would prefer him over Ferrell. 

56 minutes ago, dballer said:

Agree with the analysis of Ferrell. As an ACC guy I saw him plenty. He would be a very solid pick. Probably a little better against the run that Kerrigan. Similar pass rush. Just not quite a game disrupter like I want. How do you compare him to Burns, who in most mocks is around the same area? To me, Burns is a bit more disruptive. Doesn't have the same motor, but more big play capability. Also, pretty good when he drops into coverage. I think I would prefer him over Ferrell. 

Yeah, I’m very torn here.  I’ve been calling for a speed rusher for a while - we haven’t had that disrupter you’re talking about that can really be a headache on 3rd and longs.  On the other hand, a guy like Ferrell can play all 3 downs immediately and is great competition for Anderson as well as depth in case Kerrigan or Anderson go down with injury.  Adding to both points, we have two guys - Anderson and McKinney - that may fit each respective mold, but are largely unknowns.  

With that said, I like that Burns can probably step in as a situational rusher, but could also develop into an every down guy.  He’s also limited in his pass rush moves, so he has room to grow there as well.  In other words, I see a bit more upside to the pick even if Ferrell is most likely the safer pick.  Were we to re-sign McPhee, or sign some equivalent, I’d probably go with Burns.  If we don’t, I see Ferrell as perhaps the better fit for the team.  It’s a tough call though.  

Another option I’m interested in is finding a situational rusher later in the draft and targeting ILB, LG, or even a corner (improving the secondary to help the pass rush).  Still think trading back to the late first is the way to go as we can find a starting LG, ILB, or (possibly one of the top 3 at) corner, while adding a pick or two in the middle rounds.  Receiver and TE may be options later in the 1st as well, though I’d be more inclined to take advantage of the draft depth at both spots.  Might even trade back a bit in the 2nd (to wind up with an extra 3rd and 4th after both trade backs)

Something like...

1st: Risner

2nd: Samuel/Campbell/AJ Brown

3rd: Warring, Gustin, and either a qb (Stidham/Grier), or ILB (Coney/Watson/David Long*)

4th:  An x receiver (Arcega-Whiteside/Sills/Boykin), ILB (Long/Burr-Kirven) or S (Tell)

5th on (5 picks):  oline depth, dline depth and whatever positions weren’t addressed.  I could see us taking a qb here instead hoping they’d make it through waivers onto our PS.  

@UK SKINS FAN '74 I really liked what I saw from Long, good find.  He could use a touch more patience at times as he sometimes comes in out of control, but his speed shows up and he seems well balanced to play the run and pass well.  Needs to add some mass though.  Probably a good STer that could earn a starting role down the line I think.  

Would much rather have an edge rusher than another Preston, and I dont think Clellin is that guy. I think he falls a bit into the late teens/mid 20's of the first round. If Carolina doesnt pick him up, he falls a bit imo. If we feel DK is the guy, and he falls to 15, then he should be the pick. Otherwise, I would try to trade back a few spots and pick up AJ Brown, hopefully land another 3rd in the process, and go edge rusher in the 2nd.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

* I really liked what I saw from Long, good find.  He could use a touch more patience at times as he sometimes comes in out of control, but his speed shows up and he seems well balanced to play the run and pass well.  Needs to add some mass though.  Probably a good STer that could earn a starting role down the line I think.  

I think we have a similar structure to where our draft is heading, I've kind of soured on the first round corners, but based on how FA has panned out, we simply have to be looking at LG, ILB, WR in some order across day 1 and 2. 

I also think Stidham is an option, 3rd round ?? So ideally we need to be moving back out of #15, with the caveat of staying put if a stud we love falls to that slot.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:02 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

So that made me look at N'Keal Harry and just watched 3 of his games.

What I liked:

Big physical dude who is a big time YAC guy

His hands look good -- albeit not great

Really physical as to contested catches, I'd put my money on him on 50-50 balls

Played all over the field, X, Y, Z.  Looks more like a natural X even though in the games I watched he played more Z and in the slot

He's just nasty as a run blocker, fun to watch

For a big dude he can go deep even though its not his niche.  I noticed though he has one of the best catch rates for deep passing

He can return punts

What I didn't like

Can he separate? -- not a lot of separation from him on his routes

He can make some acrobatic catches but also drops some easy ones  

As good of a run blocker he is, on occasion he looks lazy out of nowhere on that front

He looks a little stiff in his movements 

He seems to shine mostly on easier routes -- hitches, slants, etc.  So can he develop as a well rounded route runner?

To me he comes off like a more souped up Pierre Garcon with similar attributes.   Garcon is the better separator IMO.  Harry could end up the better player because of his size and by extension is more freakish.  I like him.  Not sure I love him but I'll dive into more games to decide. As for them wanting to hit the ground running with their prospects, I gather since so much of what he does is around the flat, he can be useful for the weak armed QBs we have.  I wouldn't take him at 15 but if he dropped into the 2nd, I don't think that would be crazy.  But not sure I am sold on him yet got to digest it more. 

I mean, yeah N'Keal Harry is a better route runner than Metcalf, but that's not saying much.  Something to consider, Josh Doctson had a better combine than Harry.

Though Harry is 20-25 pounds heavier than Doctson, and you see him run routes through contact well.  Whereas Doctson struggles a bit there.  He's one of the younger receivers in the draft, so that bodes well for his development.

But he's still just a little limited.  The NFL.com writeup on him says:

Back-shoulder boss who thrives with contested catch opportunities outside the numbers but lacks explosive traits. Harry's ability to body-up opponents and win with ball skills is undeniable, but his inability to find a threatening top gear or shake loose from tight man coverage must be accounted for within his new employer's scheme. His experience playing inside should help and teams will love his impact as a run-blocker. His competitiveness and ability to come down with the ball could make him a productive member of wide receiver trio in short order.

This is fairly evident to me on film.  Some of his best routes were when the CB tried to get grabby and Harry could just muscle the CB off balance.  If the CB is staying on top of Harry, I don't think Harry can do much.  He does show some nice routes at times, but those are schemed well.  He's in a stack and the CB playing over him is half picked and has to accelerate to get near Harry, Harry puts his foot in the ground and goes at an angle too awkward for the CB to handle.

I think if we had a creative offense that schemes people open a bit more like that, Harry could develop into a good piece to the WR corps.  But I don't think he has that burst to really win routes.  He can still develop his routes into a lot more than he does now, but I don't see him as the type of guy who can set up a CB's hips one way and then explode opposite for some nice separation.

Probably a bad player comp, but maybe Eric Decker?  Big guy, above average athlete for his size, can work in red zone, above average in contested catch situations.  But was never a #1 WR.  Was at his best when Demaryius Thomas was drawing attention in Denver and Brandon Marshall was drawing attention in New York.

I like the thought of developing Harry with pick #46.  But in the 1st round?  I'm not seeing it.  He's definitely not ready to be a Day 1 contributor for a team that needs that.  If the FO draft him at #15 and expect that...then I have no idea what to think of the supposed great player evaluators we have.

I'm not too worried about us drafting Harry in Round 1 though.  We love Big 10 and SEC.  He's in the PAC 12.  Arizona State does not sound like a program we'd draft early from.

@Alcoholic Zebra Have you watched Arcega-Whiteside?  Something you mentioned above reminded me of something I read in an interview with A-W.  He likes to lean (or put weight) on the hip of the corner so they can’t make a play on the ball.  Means he can’t jump either really, except maybe a last second hop, but he’s got the length advantage to dominate that way.  It’s something he learned from his Mom about boxing out in b-ball.  No idea how it’ll translate to the pros, but I found it really interesting.  

@UK SKINS FAN '74 - Yeah, I think we’re on the same page.  I’d add TE to day 3.  I think that’ll be about the sweet spot with Warring (my new favorite in that range), Sternberger, Raymond and maybe Moreau.  With Reed oft injured, Davis older, and Speinkle not much of a threat, TE is a big need in my book.  I was worried the team wouldn’t see it that way, but the rumor? we were looking into Cook reassured me a bit.  

5 hours ago, dballer said:

I think Burns too for me.  But I have to dive into watching him more than I have thus far.  But I'd be cool with Ferrell.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Though Harry is 20-25 pounds heavier than Doctson, and you see him run routes through contact well.  Whereas Doctson struggles a bit there.  He's one of the younger receivers in the draft, so that bodes well for his development.

I like the thought of developing Harry with pick #46.  But in the 1st round?  I'm not seeing it.  He's definitely not ready to be a Day 1 contributor for a team that needs that.  If the FO draft him at #15 and expect that...then I have no idea what to think of the supposed great player evaluators we have.

I'm not too worried about us drafting Harry in Round 1 though.  We love Big 10 and SEC.  He's in the PAC 12.  Arizona State does not sound like a program we'd draft early from.

Sure.  And I mostly agree with your points.  And I am not pushing for them to draft Harry.  But with Hoffman saying he's the dude they like the best at the spot along with Marquise Brown it compelled me to take a look. 

The similarity to Doctson for me is his ability to deal with contested catches and high pointing balls.  And they also both struggle to get separation.  I think Doctson is the better acrobatic catch guy of the two -- at least the TCU version of him.  Otherwise I think they are very different.

Harry to me is more in the mode of a Garcon or a A. Boldin.  He's a strong receiver who mauls his way to get YAC with underneath throws. That's not Doctson's game.  Doctson isn't that strong or is much of a YAC guy.  Harry might be a bit more versatile in that he plays X, Y, Z and special teams. 

As for the combine, Harry being almost 40 pounds heavier than Doctson was still just a hair behind him as to their 40 time and vertical.  And Harry out-benched Doctson by almost a 2:1 margin.  For me I think Harry's combine is more impressive considering his size.  

As for the Redskins attraction to Harry if its true, I am gathering its the dude's YAC ability.  One thing Harry and Marquise have in common in YAC.  One does it via power the other via speed.   Harry with 7.1 YAC per reception and Marquise with 8.7.  Both among the college leaders last year.  If Marquise is healthy, I'd take him over Harry.

But I get the concept of if they want to win this season -- they'd want a WR who can take underneath throws and take it far.  Makes me wonder if they like Parris Campbell?

on another note:

Drew Lock

Team fit: Washington Redskins

You hear a lot of whispers about Lock and the Broncos, who hold the 10th overall pick, five selections before Washington's first choice. However, given that Denver traded for Joe Flacco and has a talented defense ready to win right now, I think Elway will elect to build around Flacco instead of finding his eventual replacement in Round 1. He has said he believes Flacco is entering his prime at age 34.

With that being said, Washington has to come away with a quarterback to develop at No. 15, and Lock would be a great fit. I think he has as much upside as any of the QBs in this draft class, and the arrival of Case Keenum means he would not have to start right away. He'll have time to learn the offense and once he's ready to go, you plug him in. In a division with Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott, the Redskins have to find their next quarterback, and unfortunately, the injury to Alex Smith has sped up the timetable.

When it comes to arm strength, athleticism, personality, leadership -- Lock's very impressive in all those areas. Now, there's some risk involved, of course. He can make the simple things look hard and the hard things looks simple at times, but he has great ability.

The Dolphins, who will be on the clock two picks before the Redskins, could be looked at as an obvious landing spot for a quarterback, but it's been reported that they are gearing up to land one of the top quarterbacks available in the 2020 draft. They've agreed to a deal with Ryan Fitzpatrick and could circle back for a QB in the middle rounds this year, but I don't think they will invest their key assets at the position this offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023180/article/qbteam-fits-after-first-wave-of-2019-nfl-free-agency

I’d be slightly bummed about getting Lock because I love the idea of gaining a pick or two in the middle rds, but it would be a pretty smart move... and surprisingly forward looking (not as much as acquiring a 1st next year, but still).  Let him sit for a year (or at least part of it) and we can build the team in the next couple drafts - oline, pass catchers and some defenders.  

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Harry to me is more in the mode of a Garcon or a A. Boldin.  He's a strong receiver who mauls his way to get YAC with underneath throws. That's not Doctson's game.  Doctson isn't that strong or is much of a YAC guy.  Harry might be a bit more versatile in that he plays X, Y, Z and special teams. 

As for the combine, Harry being almost 40 pounds heavier than Doctson was still just a hair behind him as to their 40 time and vertical.  And Harry out-benched Doctson by almost a 2:1 margin.  For me I think Harry's combine is more impressive considering his size.  

As for the Redskins attraction to Harry if its true, I am gathering its the dude's YAC ability.  One thing Harry and Marquise have in common in YAC.  One does it via power the other via speed.   Harry with 7.1 YAC per reception and Marquise with 8.7.  Both among the college leaders last year.  If Marquise is healthy, I'd take him over Harry.

But I get the concept of if they want to win this season -- they'd want a WR who can take underneath throws and take it far.  Makes me wonder if they like Parris Campbell?

Hmm, that makes sense.  I can see their logic.  Open up the quick game aspect of the playbook that a smart QB can take advantage of.  But where do you draft someone for that, when there (at least imo) is a ceiling on what they can do conventionally?

34 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Hmm, that makes sense.  I can see their logic.  Open up the quick game aspect of the playbook that a smart QB can take advantage of.  But where do you draft someone for that, when there (at least imo) is a ceiling on what they can do conventionally?

Seems like a deep draft for WR, so for me 2nd round at the earliest.  Whenever I watch Marquise Brown I fall his play.  The dude is so explosive all over the field.  D. Jax for example is mostly about the deep ball.  Marquise is a deep ball guy plus he's a mega YAC guy from all around the field.   I just don't know the extent of his injury and whether he can hold up at that size.  N'Keal Harry's size and physicality makes you think he'd hold up fine but he's not explosive.  

You'd think between Marquise, Harry and Parris Campbell one of them will be there at their 2nd round pick but all would be likely gone by their third rounder.

Cooley's listed his 4 (non-QB) needs for the team as WR, Guard, TE, Pass Rusher.  He's big into Hockenson.  Thinks there's only a few TE's with his skillset in the entire NFL, and TE is a massive need for Jay's playbook.  His scheme needs a TE that can do everything.

30 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Moreau is actually my pick for a day 3 TE. 

Even if we drafted Hockenson at #15, I wouldn't mind going TE on Day 3.  Two TE sets really work.  Patriots exploit defenses with them.  I feel like your average playoff game for the Patriots will have the Patriots in 2TE personnel 25-30% of the time.  That's significant.

49 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Moreau is actually my pick for a day 3 TE. 

My bad, meant to say ‘round’ 3, not ‘day’ 3.  Moreau is a solid day 3 guy, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he went late round 3 (depending on who/how many go earlier).  

BTW, something I forgot to mention about Long earlier - really dug his grab/pull vs olinemen.  He isn’t big enough to bull them off, but showed some pretty good technique to free himself.  

2019 NFL Draft: Who's like JuJu Smith-Schuster, Mike Evans and other wide receiver comparisons

Plus the Arizona State receiver who has similarities to Marques Colston and more on 2019's top WR prospects

This is the best wideout draft class since the epic 2014 group that featured new Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr., his teammate Jarvis Landry, Mike Evans, Davante Adams, Brandin Cooks, Sammy Watkins and a handful of other valuable pass catchers. 

It's important to remember NFL comparisons for draftees don't intend to guarantee a prospect will have the exact same career as his professional counterpart. In this series, I'll go through the top prospects at every position and give NFL comparisons -- some current players, some former. These comparisons are not based on size. They're almost solely stylistic. 

Previous installments: Quarterbacks, Running Backs

(Prospects are listed in the order they appear in my draft rankings.)

A.J. Brown, Ole Miss 

NFL comparison: JuJu Smith-Schuster

Smith-Schuster received the second-most targets from the slot in football last season (112) per Sports Info Solutions, and like the young Steelers' star, Brown should land as a big (athletic) slot option in the NFL, no longer a part-time gadget or novelty item. Brown has 4.49 speed but specializes after the catch, when he instantly morphs into a running back. He's also reliable in contested-catch situations. Brown is the most NFL-ready receiver in this class. 

Hakeem Butler, Iowa State

NFL comparsion: Plaxico Burress 

Outside of Randy Moss, Burress was the matchup nightmare during his time in the NFL at 6-foot-6 and 231 pounds with springy athleticism and a gigantic catch radius. That's the short scouting report on Butler too, and he might be even more dangerous when going after the football at its highest point. The former Iowa State star is a load to bring down after the catch, has experience running a variety of routes, and is bendier than you'd expect for his enormous frame. 

JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Stanford 

NFL comparison: Mike Evans

Arcega-Whiteside measured in at 6-2 and 225 pounds with 33 1/4-inch arms and 9 1/2-inch hands at the combine. So he's not as monstrous as Evans, who was just under 6-5 and 231 pounds with 35 1/8-inch arms and 9 5/8-inch hands at his combine in 2014. But their playing styles couldn't be more similar. Like Evans, Arcega-Whiteside is a deceptively fast linear wideout with flat-out stupid ball skills. I've called him the best rebounder in this class for months now, and he's dominant in that area. Evans was the same type of overwhelming power forward when he entered the league out of Texas A&M. Arcega-Whiteside isn't totally without lateral mobility either. In some instances, he can pick up yards after the catch.  

N'Keal Harry, Arizona State

NFL comparison: Marques Colston

Here's a quote from Drew Brees, featured in an ESPN article, after Colston's first game with the Saints. "He's a big-play receiver. He's a possession receiver, he's a throw-it-up-and-let-him-jump and-get-it receiver." That is precisely the type of pass catcher Harry is, and while he isn't a dazzling, separation creator as a route runner, he is surprisingly nimble after the catch and plays with powerful leg churn to carry defenders for extra yardage as he's finally being tackled. Colston is still the Saints all-time leading receiver and quietly crushed it from his rookie season all the way through his prime with six 1,000-yard campaigns. The big high-pointer finished with an average seasonal stat line of 71 catches, 975 yards, and 7.2 touchdowns in his 10 NFL seasons.

D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss

NFL comparison: Demaryius Thomas

Let me start by writing Metcalf has more juice than Thomas, but the latter was certainly not a plodder in his prime. Thomas began his career as a large, athletic specimen with a raw game, and it showed. His first two seasons in Denver were pedestrian at their very best. As he learned the intricacies of running routes, Thomas erupted with five-consecutive 1,000-yard seasons. Even as he matured in the NFL, Thomas was best used as a bubble screen, slant, and go-route wideout, and that's precisely how Metcalf needs to be featured to tap into every ounce of his massive talent. Like Thomas too, Metcalf will have the occasional bad drop but come down with circus grabs downfield. 

Kelvin Harmon, NC State

NFL comparison: Kenny Golladay

Golladay is a physical, big-bodied presence who thrives down the field because of his frame, catch radius, and ball skills. He's probably a bit more "vertically capable" than Harmon, but as a body control and back-shoulder master, Harmon too can be a downfield threat in the NFL without incendiary speed. Like Golladay did, expect Harmon to start as a second or maybe even a third option early in his pro career before emerging as a true No. 1 by his second or third season mostly because of his intimidating physical presence and reliable hands in traffic.

Marquise Brown, Oklahoma

NFL comparison: Santonio Holmes

Kind of a throwback here, and it's not the more commonly used comparison to DeSean Jackson. Holmes, who's a little bigger than Brown, averaged 18.4 yards per reception with 11 scores in his final season at Ohio State in 2005, almost identical to Brown's average of 18.3 during his two seasons in Norman with the Sooners. Holmes was a sub 4.40 guy as he entered the NFL -- which is around how fast Brown likely is -- and quickly established himself as a serious big-play threat who had some polish to his game with route running and positional flexibility. Brown isn't simply a screen and deep ball target, and he's crafty enough play on the outside and create space before the ball his thrown his way. 

Deebo Samuel, South Carolina

NFL comparison: Davante Adams 

Adams was a super-productive wideout at Fresno State with Derek Carr, landed in the second round of the 2014 draft, and following some early-career flashes in Green Bay, has become one of the finest young targets in football. He can make the spectacular grab in the red zone, repeatedly turns defenders before and after the catch, and can hit some big-gainers thanks to impressive speed. All of the same is true for Samuel, who arguably possesses the best combination of route-running savvy and yards-after-the-catch skills of any wideout in this class. He boasts strong hands too. 

Dillon Mitchell, Oregon

NFL comparison: Keenan Allen

Mitchell is flying considerably under the radar -- big stretch for a Duck pun there -- and he shouldn't be. As everyone turned their attention to Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert in 2018, Mitchell was clearly his go-to target in every game, finishing the year with 75 receptions for over 1,100 yards with 11 touchdowns. He flashed in every way possible ... down the field, in space on underneath routes, and near the sidelines as a chain-mover. He's an ultra-flexible wideout with high-level juking ability to beat press at the line or leave defenders whiffing in the open field. That's the book on Allen too. 

Anthony Johnson, Buffalo

NFL comparison: Miles Austin

Austin was a little bigger and more explosive than Johnson, but like the Buffalo star, Austin was a complete wideout during his impressive tenure with the Cowboys. Right when he seemed like an yards-after-the-catch receiver, he'd be found downfield for a 40-yard gain. Johnson isn't spectacular in any area. He's not a liability in any area either. He was a productive go-route pass catcher who tracked it as well as any receiver in college football and showed off awesome contact balance and surprising athleticism after the catch over the past two seasons.

Andy Isabella, UMass

NFL comparison: Brandin Cooks

With 4.31 speed, nifty feet, and a small frame, I couldn't help but slap a Cooks comparison on Isabella. Not to mention, like Cooks at Oregon State, Isabella was an elite producer in college. While he has enough polish to play on the outside, you want him in the slot, which is the case with Cooks too. And both are must-feature players in the screen game because of their acceleration, violent cuts, and top-end speed. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-whos-like-juju-smith-schuster-mike-evans-and-other-wide-receiver-comparisons/

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NFL comparison: Brandin Cooks

With 4.31 speed, nifty feet, and a small frame, I couldn't help but slap a Cooks comparison on Isabella. Not to mention, like Cooks at Oregon State, Isabella was an elite producer in college. While he has enough polish to play on the outside, you want him in the slot, which is the case with Cooks too. And both are must-feature players in the screen game because of their acceleration, violent cuts, and top-end speed. 

That's my boy!  3rd round.

Mitchell’s pretty damn exciting to watch.  Draft Network nailed his scouting report, except for doubting his long speed, IMO.  Not much of a blocker, and struggles with contested catches, but a crazy fluid and elusive athlete.  

Speaking of Draft Network, here’s the end of their breakdown of Warring who I’m newly into.  

3E9DAFEA-23D1-496C-9F3A-ED6486E68AE9.thumb.png.7006159fc45c28b478499237d9763cd9.png

Top 100 would put him behind Fant, Hockenson, Smith Jr, Sternberger and Knox, and ahead of Kaden Smith, Raymond and Moreau.  It’s a pretty darn good TE group this year.  

Love that Mock, and it looks pretty realistic, although I don't see Christian Wilkins in the top 10. I think that if I'm the Lions, I'd rather have Hockenson at 8 than Wilkins. 

Am I the only one that thinks Devin Bush is going to be over drafted? LB with great speed, but average instincts seem to have a high miss rate. I wouldn't take one of those too high. I want to see production and instincts in my MLB. 

Also, McQueen has turned me around on Ferrell. I'd be perfectly happy with him at 15. I think it would be very much like taking Ryan Kerrigan at 15. Looks ok but unspectacular at the time the pick is made and then you get 10 years of great motor and production. McQueen, I also thought your ranking of, "Clelin Furrrrl" as the most country name in the draft was super funny. Very country. Not as country as, Jim Bob Cooter, but still very country. I also love it when a pass rusher has a big game against future NFL talent. Furrrrl ate Jonah Williams' lunch. 

23 hours ago, dballer said:

Diving into this question more.  Just watched 4 games from Burns.  I'd take Burns but I'd get the rationale for Ferrell if they prefer him.

Burns in my view

Disruptive speed -- I like that added dimension to our defense.  

He can pursue  scrambling QBs and run them down. (how many times have we've seen QBs escape the grasp of Kerrigan and Preston on the move)

He's got multiple pass rushing moves -- quick hands

Can change a game-disruptive

Not great against the run but also not bad against it

He's versatile they shift him right to left, left to right like crazy so assume he's comfortable on either side.  He stunts, plays some coverage too.

Ferrell versus Burns

My take is Ferrell seems like more of a technician and has stronger hands.  He strikes me as a more of a tone setter.  You can see his fire on the field.  The fact that he's killing it in interviews at the combine doesn't surprise me.  He looks more stout against the run and is a more well rounded player. Plays IMO with a higher motor than Burns.  

Burns IMO is more explosive and more terrifying to an O line.  He's more disruptive. I like his fit better with Kerrigan and our D line.  I want a different type of player on the D line.  I am with Polian who once said the Redskins struggle on 3rd and long in spite of having a good line because everyone on that line is about power and in obvious pass rushing situations you want a dude who can line up wide and just run by a tackle.  Burns is that guy IMO.  Ferrell isn't.  Cooley once said talking to the Redskins O lineman they told him speed rushers make them lose sleep not so much power guys.  Judging by the combine Ferrell's athleticism isn't anything hot.  Burns on the other hand is.   But I'd be happy with either one. 

SIP, thanks for posting all of those Burns highlights! I agree about wanting a speed rusher. I'm not utterly convinced about Burns. He looks like he's built like a WR. I also don't see any speed to power. And I think he is going to get swallowed in the run game. We probably have the right DL situation to draw blocking attention away from Burns though. If any pure speed guy can succeed, they should be able to succeed with Kerrigan, Allen, Payne and Ioannidis. 

Clelin didn't run or jump at the combine, and apparently also skipped working out at the Clemson Pro day. Not good. I can't remember a potential first rounder doing that in the past. His numbers must be terrible. Still, Ferrell is a plug and play guy in our defense. He can step in and replace Preston Smith without any drop off in the run game, but should be a significantly better pass rusher. One other reason I like Ferrell is that he could likely be the heir apparent to Kerrigan. We are going to need that, and I don't think Kerrigan is easily replaced. A while back when watching Ferrell highlights, Kerrigan was my comp. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/14/clelin-ferrell-not-working-out-at-clemson-pro-day/

Alabama has its pro day today. I wonder if Mack Wilson, Christian Miller and Deionte Thompson will run and jump. It would be nice to get numbers on those guys. 

Delaware has its combine on 3/22. I'd really like to see some athletic numbers for Adderly. Nobody on the board is talking about him. I would think after signing Collins, that a player like Adderly would draw interest, as a potential high single, ball hawking safety. 

Ferrell is like Ryan Anderson, if Ryan Anderson had prototypical size and arm length.  I can see members of our FO loving Ferrell.

Some points in Burns favor.  This is the projected age for most of the Top Edge rushers when the regular season starts (that I could find).

Chase Winovich - 24.4 years old

Montez Sweat - 23 years old

Jachai Polite - 22.4

Clelin Ferrell - 22.3

Josh Allen - 22.1

Nick Bosa - 21.9

Brian Burns - 21.4

He weighed in at 249 lbs and tested well.  Sweat's ridiculous 40 stole the combine, but it's not like Burns also didn't have a really good one.  4.53 40 at 249 pounds is great.

Archived